• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lidstrom for life

Bertuzzi states he will either stay with wings or retire

Rate this topic

Id rather have Bertuzzi then Miller, Abdelkader i thought would get a small raise and Helm for sure deserves one.There is nothing Miller does that Ritola cant in my opinion so why not just save the money from Miller.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Filppula-Ritola

Eaves/UFA-Abdelkader-Helm

Draper

Stuart-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lidstrom

UFA-Ericcson

Kindl

Guest zackmorris

Id rather have Bertuzzi then Miller, Abdelkader i thought would get a small raise and Helm for sure deserves one.There is nothing Miller does that Ritola cant in my opinion so why not just save the money from Miller.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Filppula-Ritola

Eaves/UFA-Abdelkader-Helm

Draper

Stuart-Rafalski

Kronwall-Lidstrom

UFA-Ericcson

Kindl

Miller is likely a cheap PK option, as we just went through a season that (should've) taught us exactly what can happen when your penalty killers aren't tip top. I doubt they'd be comfortable enough to toss Ritola into a PK role that early.

Miller is likely a cheap PK option, as we just went through a season that (should've) taught us exactly what can happen when your penalty killers aren't tip top. I doubt they'd be comfortable enough to toss Ritola into a PK role that early.

true but if Eaves stays we could run

PK1

Zetterberg-Cleary

PK2

Eaves/Abdelkader-Helm

Abby is a good shot blocker if he could learn to close out lanes that wouldnt be to bad

Guest Crymson

So Bertuzzi's contract could be anywhere from $1m to $3m depending on the cap and RFA negotiations. Not unrealistic that he could be kept, but what role would he have? In the lines I listed above, I put together three strong scoring lines. However, two minor changes (Hudler and Franzen for Filppula and Bertuzzi) shift Bertuzzi to a role on a checking third line with a clear secondary scoring role, rather than a line that would be relied on for primary scoring.[/font]

He'd be playing with Cleary and perhaps Helm. That line could score.

anyone who is saying filppula hasnt stepped up is clueless. he has become more productive each year and would have easily had his best season this year if it were not for his injury.

The guy also said that Cleary hasn't yet "stepped up", and so I really wouldn't put much stock into his baseless ramblings.

He'd be playing with Cleary and perhaps Helm. That line could score.

The guy also said that Cleary hasn't yet "stepped up", and so I really wouldn't put much stock into his baseless ramblings.

I think we can agree next season will be the true test to see if Fippula can really shine a whole season, provided he stays healthy. Even I'll admit, he did seem to catch fire toward the end of the season there. But lets also not forget the many facepalm moments we've had over the years (including last season) when Fippula would miss an empty netter. In short though, we'll see.

For all you guys saying that Cleary isn't that bad.....you're right, he's "okay". However being just "okay" does not justify a 3 million dollar salary, especially in the cap world. Numbers are slipping, he's becoming more and more weak with the puck, constantly loses battles, and is it just me or does it seem like the guy falls down more than Gerald Ford on a bad day?

Right but Kenny would never do that. He likes to pay his players fairly according to their market value. It's a good way to conduct business.

True, in business you may piss off someone by offering them something so low, you can never take the risk.

For all you guys saying that Cleary isn't that bad.....you're right, he's "okay". However being just "okay" does not justify a 3 million dollar salary, especially in the cap world. Numbers are slipping, he's becoming more and more weak with the puck, constantly loses battles, and is it just me or does it seem like the guy falls down more than Gerald Ford on a bad day?

Cleary was also extremely injured last year and had surgery on both his knees when the season ended, that probably explains the falling down. Hopefully he gets healthy in the offseason and can play like he did in the playoffs a couple years ago all next season.

Cleary was also extremely injured last year and had surgery on both his knees when the season ended, that probably explains the falling down. Hopefully he gets healthy in the offseason and can play like he did in the playoffs a couple years ago all next season.

We don't really expect this kind of production do we?

It's bad, but it really isn't much of a problem. $1.5m isn't that bad for Drapes, he brings a lot of intangibles.

Clearys contract is the joke, he's garbage he'll be injured half the season again next year with like a broken leg or something. He doesn't deserve the money he's being paid.

For what we pay him players like David Backes, Tomas Plekanec, Matt Lombardi, Scottie Upshall, Joe Pavelski, Alex Tanguay all made equal to or less than Clearys 09 salary. I'd take anyone of them for him... his god damn NTC.

Guest Crymson

Clearys contract is the joke, he's garbage he'll be injured half the season again next year with like a broken leg or something. He doesn't deserve the money he's being paid.

For what we pay him players like David Backes, Tomas Plekanec, Matt Lombardi, Scottie Upshall, Joe Pavelski, Alex Tanguay all made equal to or less than Clearys 09 salary. I'd take anyone of them for him... his god damn NTC.

Do you, perchance, play a lot of NHL 10?

I want Bertuzzi back for between 1-1.5 million. The guy has just built a fantastic attitude over the past year or so, it seems like he's a guy you'd want on a team now, which I don't think most people would say about him years ago.

Even though he's inconsistent, he brings a lot to the table for 1-1.5 million. Considering how weak the current crop of free agents is, it's a smart move to sign him for cheap (for less than his current salary in a perfect world, just to free up cap space, even if he doesn't deserve a decrease in pay).

Regarding Miller, I think the main reason we are going to sign him is for competition in the summer. I think after training camp we will likely trade or waive Miller if it looks like Ritola is going to work out.

I sure hope this is what we do.

Miller is a solid player but we don't really need him, have more than enough bottom 6 forwards and PK's.

Helm/Eaves

Flip/Cleary

With help from Dats, Hank and Draper if need be.

I agree that if Ritola has a solid camp and plays well in the PS matches then I see us trading Miller.

Alex Tanguay's career is over.Wait,did it ever..begin?

Guest screwdahawks

Right. Cleary put up another 40-point season with a solid defensive contribution in '08-'09 while playing on the 3rd line, while putting in his usual defensive performance. Then he scored nine goals and six assists with a whopping plus-17 in the playoffs. The only person who even came close to that +/- was Zetterberg at a +13. This entire season he was playing injured.

This sort of comment makes it clear that you've no compunction against making arguments that are absolutely not backed up with facts. Oh, wait... you joined here two months ago. Typical.

Filppula? Yeah, let's see. He was on the verge of a breakout season before he was injured as was, he put up 35 points in 55 games on a roster that saw a whole lot of other injuries. In the '08-'09 playoffs, he was our 4th-leading scorer, and he put up 9 points in 12 games in this year's playoffs.

Once again....

When is the last time Cleary had 20 goals or a big hit? Both were before his NTC, and Filppula has always "been on the verge".

As for when I joined :tease:

Guest nutz2u

Right. Cleary put up another 40-point season with a solid defensive contribution in '08-'09 while playing on the 3rd line, while putting in his usual defensive performance. Then he scored nine goals and six assists with a whopping plus-17 in the playoffs. The only person who even came close to that +/- was Zetterberg at a +13. This entire season he was playing injured.

This sort of comment makes it clear that you've no compunction against making arguments that are absolutely not backed up with facts. wait... you joined here two months ago. Typical. Oh,

Filppula? Yeah, let's see. He was on the verge of a breakout season before he was injured as was, he put up 35 points in 55 games on a roster that saw a whole lot of other injuries. In the '08-'09 playoffs, he was our 4th-leading scorer, and he put up 9 points in 12 games in this year's playoffs.

Once again....

What does when some one joined have to do with anything? You joined first, so that makes you smarter or your opinion has more merit?

Fact is Cleary had two 20 goal seasons prior to signing a contract that has paid him 2.5M the past 2 years for a combined 29 goals and will be getting 3M for the next 3 seasons. I'm damn sure that Holland expected a bit more for his money. Both Filppula and Cleary are overpaid by 40% for what they have brought to the table the past 2 seasons. Hell Homer deserves more than either one of them, and don't give me any s*** about them being injured, Homer takes more of a beating than both of them put together.

And no one knows that more than Cleary. I'll bet any money he lives by his words and trains the hardest he ever has this off-season.

As for having a scoring 3rd line, I think we have the talent here already. A line of Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi could do some damage in my estimation. Cleary will be hungry to bounce back. Bertuzzi, while inconsistent, is still very much a scoring threat. And as far as Abdelkader, I think he's got untapped offensive potential. I've had discussions with scouts and other people who've watched him in college and GR and they feel that he could end up being a very solid 3rd liner. I'd even venture to say that Ritola could surprise some people too... maybe work himself into that spot instead of Abs.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mule/Homer

Hudler-Filppula-Homer/Mule

Cleary-Abs/Ritola-Bertuzzi

Abs/Draper-Helm-Eaves

I'm actually pretty ok with that team, esp living in a salary cap world. I also have soft spot for a line of Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves. I think it could be very effective should Ritola surprise people and do well for himself.

For the first time in years Cleary will be starting the season 100% healthy and in perfect shape. He said he's stepping up his training and he's going to be a tank come October. I know he has been disappointing point wise, but he's still the hardest worker on the team and with a good knee and determination he can prove his worth.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Is this a bargaining stance or a threat?

I sorta hoped it was a promise.

When is the last time Cleary had 20 goals or a big hit? Both were before his NTC, and Filppula has always "been on the verge".

As for when I joined :tease:

If you're implying it's because he started slacking off once he got his NTC, I don't think that's the reason.

2010/04/04 Missed 4 games (groin).

2010/03/27 Groin, day-to-day.

2010/03/24 Missed 2 games (groin).

2010/03/22 Groin, day-to-day.

2010/01/07 Missed 12 games (separated shoulder).

2009/12/10 Separated shoulder, mid-January.

2008/11/28 Missed 8 games (left eye injury).

2008/11/11 Left eye injury, day-to-day.

2008/03/25 Missed 19 games (broken jaw).

2008/03/11 Signed by the Detroit Red Wings to a five-year contract extension.

He's not been the same since he broke his jaw, and has had a nagging groin injury, bad eye, and a bad knee. The biggest question mark with Cleary is his health, and so far things are sounding positive.