• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Lidstrom for life

Bertuzzi states he will either stay with wings or retire

Rate this topic

Read today on mlive the hypothetical deal for Bert would be 2yrs at 2.5/2.8. It may be a risk to give Bert and Homer two year deals but for the bargain we'd get Bertuzzi at (especially 1.25!) I dont know how we couldnt. Theres still enough room for a gritty 4th liner and a physical defenceman.

Read today on mlive the hypothetical deal for Bert would be 2yrs at 2.5/2.8. It may be a risk to give Bert and Homer two year deals but for the bargain we'd get Bertuzzi at (especially 1.25!) I dont know how we couldnt. Theres still enough room for a gritty 4th liner and a physical defenceman.

That would be sick for sure! I love how he feels home playing with these guys, it's going to be a great year I think...goal.gif(get it done kenny)

Edited by 13dangledangle

Do you, perchance, play a lot of NHL 10?

No I don't... your comment doesn't even make sense. The way I stated it was that those players MAKE THE SAME OR LESS as Cleary, showing everyone what we COULD get for our money if we looked around the market enough... there's definitely better players out there for his price. Ken Holland is probably kicking himself for giving that much $$$ and a NTC. Cleary can train all he wants but somehow he always seems to get injured.

Guest Crymson

No I don't... your comment doesn't even make sense. The way I stated it was that those players MAKE THE SAME OR LESS as Cleary, showing everyone what we COULD get for our money if we looked around the market enough... there's definitely better players out there for his price. Ken Holland is probably kicking himself for giving that much $$$ and a NTC. Cleary can train all he wants but somehow he always seems to get injured.

Heh, right. He put up another 20 goal season in '08-'09 and was one of our absolute best players in the playoffs. He played injured this season, yes, but what makes you say that he "always seems to get injured"? Are you, perhaps, referring to his other major injury? You know, the one where his jaw was shattered by a stray puck? That's the only other major injury he has sustained.

I made the reference to NHL 10 because you're making armchair GM suggestions that have little basis in reality.

Edited by Crymson

Guest Crymson

Clearys contract is the joke, he's garbage he'll be injured half the season again next year with like a broken leg or something. He doesn't deserve the money he's being paid.

For what we pay him players like David Backes, Tomas Plekanec, Matt Lombardi, Scottie Upshall, Joe Pavelski, Alex Tanguay all made equal to or less than Clearys 09 salary. I'd take anyone of them for him... his god damn NTC.

Plekanec will get a big raise. Pavelski will get a massive raise; he was drafted by San Jose and is currently on a low-level contract. Tanguay has been terrible for the last two seasons, and he is jelly in the defensive zone. Backes will almost certainly get more than $3m next year. Lombardi is unspectacular, as is Upshall.

You're bitching about us not having said cheap players when the good ones amongst them are headed for big contracts. Dumb.

Plekanec will get a big raise. Pavelski will get a massive raise; he was drafted by San Jose and is currently on a low-level contract. Tanguay has been terrible for the last two seasons, and he is jelly in the defensive zone. Backes will almost certainly get more than $3m next year. Lombardi is unspectacular, as is Upshall.

You're bitching about us not having said cheap players when the good ones amongst them are headed for big contracts. Dumb.

dead on!

Couple things.

Bert if he signs for 1.5 or less I would agree too. He is still talented enough to put up some points, just wish he could iron out a few kinks a little.

Helm will get a bigger raise than most think i believe. I can honestly see a team putting in a offer sheet for him. No question in my mind he will be paid more than Miller or Eaves.

Most free agents people are mentioning to be signed are due for big raises like Crymson said. We need to be realistic about the $ we have and what these players will ask for.

With any luck we will have a healthy year, players will gel and we will do better overall with what I presume to be a very similar roster.

My only significant take on this subject is that Cleary is slightly overpaid, but earnt that trhough past endeavours, Flip is paid pretty much what he should be, and Resigning Bert for 2 years at $1.25 a year is a good deal, especially since he seems to have got the message that he's more useful to the team as a skillful net presence and big body rather than a flashy perimeter player. Him on the same line as from the playoffs suits me just fine. Also despite not being great, his defensive play significantly improved over the course of last year in my opinion.

I agree. Too many people are always trying to compare the salaries of entry level players or players whose contracts were signed when they were a RFA. Those salaries are almost always below what they would get on the open market and not really a good comparison for what it would take for another team to sign them.