• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#21 Datsyukian Geek

Datsyukian Geek

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Beacuse you can't expect to stay at the level of firepower we had that season. For example, Zetterberg's contract was 2.8 or so I believe? The salary cap doesn't allow you to keep it. The best way to get back to that level is draft high end talent and win while they're still on entry-level contracts. Unfortunately that's not particularly easy to do, especially with how late we draft.

It's a lot more possible when you stop trying to run 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines. That's basically what we had last year, and the grit was spread too thin over the bottom 2 lines and neither was of any consequence. One or two guys in the lineup who are more geared to scoring would be all it takes to set up three dedicated scoring lines, that brings back the offensive depth and helps run the opposing team's D-Corp more ragged.

It can be done, and I say it should be done.

#22 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

It's just too bad that either Miller or Eaves might not have a contract here next year, because they both earned it. It makes Draper's cap hit all the more painful.

Eaves with 22 points in 65 games and one of the team's top PK guys, all for 500k this past season. And Miller was no slouch either.

if i had to choose I would take eaves. He's just a better player and could be had for relatively cheap again. Miller is redundant on this team unfortunately but I like what he did for this team and he played his heart out. All in all though I think I'd rather have a asham type of guy to take millers spot.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#23 Datsyukian Geek

Datsyukian Geek

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

if i had to choose I would take eaves. He's just a better player and could be had for relatively cheap again. Miller is redundant on this team unfortunately but I like what he did for this team and he played his heart out. All in all though I think I'd rather have a asham type of guy to take millers spot.

I agree with the Miller redundancy. I hate to say it, but I always find myself placing him last or almost last when trying to write up lines for next season, there's just too many options that could replace him or eventually surpass him. Like you said, he earned his keep. It's just crappy he did it when so many others did as well.

#24 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,732 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

I got negged for being overly optomistic regarding the contracts?

How dare I. :hehe:

Thats ok, I get negged by someone who has an issues with me just because I dislike Hudler. I think its hilarious.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#25 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Agreed. It's not a huge gap, but I'd probably go with Eaves too. He offers a little bit more than Miller.

#26 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

I agree with the Miller redundancy. I hate to say it, but I always find myself placing him last or almost last when trying to write up lines for next season, there's just too many options that could replace him or eventually surpass him. Like you said, he earned his keep. It's just crappy he did it when so many others did as well.

yeah its really tough to fit him in there, but this is not a bad thing. It just means that this team is still really deep. everyone complains about not having a scoring third line, well how about
bert(if he comes back)/abby/cleary third line? abby's offense is underrated on this board, he played with may and maltby for most of the year. I think a cleary/bert/abby line would be an excellent third line that can do some scoring.

14 Fighting Majors

#27 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:07 PM

It's a lot more possible when you stop trying to run 2 scoring lines and 2 checking lines. That's basically what we had last year, and the grit was spread too thin over the bottom 2 lines and neither was of any consequence. One or two guys in the lineup who are more geared to scoring would be all it takes to set up three dedicated scoring lines, that brings back the offensive depth and helps run the opposing team's D-Corp more ragged.

I think that could be awfully difficult to do successfully given the amount some of the top players are paid. To go for a scoring third line, you'd be getting Williams-caliber scorers. That's all we can afford. I'd much rather have a half-ass grinding line than a line full of Williams.

Edited by Zetts, 05 June 2010 - 12:07 PM.

#28 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

There's no payroll room to bring a marquee forward in

Ville Leino appears to have a reasonable contract for a top line forward! (I'm sorry, awful joke, it hurts a bit though)
I'd really like to bring Bert back, I wish for his sake that he could end his career on a high note or do something notable to improve his standing in the eyes of fans around the league. He is still viewed in the same light as Michael Vick by many, and I hate that he's not able to redeem himself from the one moment that defined his career (Jim Joyce? we'll see)
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#29 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,831 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

Thats ok, I get negged by someone who has an issues with me just because I dislike Hudler. I think its hilarious.

I get negged for hating the Blackhawks. :hehe:

Seriously, though, for that price Bertuzzi would be awesome to have back in Detroit. I hope he and Franzen can continue to play together and develop some kind of chemistry.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#30 Datsyukian Geek

Datsyukian Geek

1st Line Sniper

• Silver Booster
  • 971 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

I think that could be awfully difficult to do successfully given the amount some of the top players are paid. To go for a scoring third line, you'd be getting Williams-caliber scorers. That's all we can afford. I'd much rather have a half-ass grinding line than a line full of Williams.

Well, let's look at it this way. Williams was brought in for $1.5 Million. He got 15 points in 44 games and was invisible in the playoffs so we won't worry about that. Just glancing through some of the free agent RW's heading to market soon, right away I find (don't groan) Maxim Afinogenov, who in comparison to Williams, played last year at $800K and played all season without serious injury and got 61 points. Now obviously after a season like that, he's going to get a raise -- and apparently an offer from Atlanta is already on the table for him to come back -- but even supposing he goes up to Williams' $1.5 Million, I'll take him over Jason 8 days out of 7! You throw him on the 1st/2nd line, maybe as redwingfan19 suggested you move Bert down to the third line to add more shifty offense, and with one move you're looking at a much scarier set of three lines.

#31 StayClassy

StayClassy

Babcock's Doormat

• Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

Draper's contract is a big fat joke

It's bad, but it really isn't much of a problem. $1.5m isn't that bad for Drapes, he brings a lot of intangibles.

"Let him live."

#32 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:16 PM

...In other news, how in God's name is Alligator due for a raise? The guy led (and still does) the playoffs in penalty minutes, is a minus player, and contributed a measly 6 points. I never understood the love for this guy. Oh, I'm sorry, he "sometimes tries to hit things". We might as well have kept Downey then and gave him a raise....at least Downey freakin fought. Man o man I scratch my head at this stuff sometimes. ...

I'm fairly sure that under the terms of the CBA, he's due a small increase up to roughly 890k. Hopefully that would be the extent of it, for now.

Automatic raises are for qualifying offers, but we could sign him for less if he agreed to it. Also, I believe the raise is based off actual salary from the last year ($710k in this case). That would mean a 5% raise to ~$745.

That said, he's a good young player that should develop into a solid 3rd liner. Good defensively, decent offensive potential, pretty good size, not slow, likes to hit, will drop the gloves on occasion. (Funny that you complain about his penalties, then praise Downey for fighting. 26 of Abby's penalty minutes were either fights or scrums sticking up for teammates. Only one of those penalties resulted in an opposing PP. And that was late in a game we were losing 5-1.)

$900k-1M would be a good price for him.

#33 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:26 PM

Automatic raises are for qualifying offers, but we could sign him for less if he agreed to it. Also, I believe the raise is based off actual salary from the last year ($710k in this case). That would mean a 5% raise to ~$745.

That said, he's a good young player that should develop into a solid 3rd liner. Good defensively, decent offensive potential, pretty good size, not slow, likes to hit, will drop the gloves on occasion. (Funny that you complain about his penalties, then praise Downey for fighting. 26 of Abby's penalty minutes were either fights or scrums sticking up for teammates. Only one of those penalties resulted in an opposing PP. And that was late in a game we were losing 5-1.)

$900k-1M would be a good price for him.

abby will be a 20 goal scorer in this league. He has a good shot, decent hands, and strong on the puck. If he ever develops a net presence along the lines of franzen or bertuzzi he could achieve this.

14 Fighting Majors

#34 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

LOL Cleary hasn't done s*** since he got his NTC and Filppula is about as reliable as the weather forecast.

Right. Cleary put up another 40-point season with a solid defensive contribution in '08-'09 while playing on the 3rd line, while putting in his usual defensive performance. Then he scored nine goals and six assists with a whopping plus-17 in the playoffs. The only person who even came close to that +/- was Zetterberg at a +13. This entire season he was playing injured.

This sort of comment makes it clear that you've no compunction against making arguments that are absolutely not backed up with facts. Oh, wait... you joined here two months ago. Typical.

Filppula? Yeah, let's see. He was on the verge of a breakout season before he was injured as was, he put up 35 points in 55 games on a roster that saw a whole lot of other injuries. In the '08-'09 playoffs, he was our 4th-leading scorer, and he put up 9 points in 12 games in this year's playoffs.

Once again....

#35 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:33 PM

Hey man, gotta admire the dedication and loyalty on Bertuzzi's part. The guy doesn't want to go anywhere else. Sign him Kenny, and just add in bold print to the contract that he has to listen to an audio self-help tape called "Two hands Are Better Than One".

In other news, how in God's name is Alligator due for a raise? The guy led (and still does) the playoffs in penalty minutes, is a minus player, and contributed a measly 6 points. I never understood the love for this guy. Oh, I'm sorry, he "sometimes tries to hit things". We might as well have kept Downey then and gave him a raise....at least Downey freakin fought. Man o man I scratch my head at this stuff sometimes. Also, we're keeping Miller? Is that really necessary? Didn't see him in the Wings future to be honest. Would have rather dipped a bit into the free agent market. A raise for Speedy Gonzalez and Eaves is understandable though. Oh, and weren't the last like 3 years supposed to be "step-up seasons" for Filppula and Cleary? ;)

Miller was a key member of the PK and potted 10 goals. He's definitely worth keeping.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#36 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

Miller was a key member of the PK and potted 10 goals. He's definitely worth keeping.

i think wings will only be able to keep one of miller and eaves, but I guess they could keep both if bert doesn't come back

14 Fighting Majors

#37 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 01:54 PM

.... Oh, and weren't the last like 3 years supposed to be "step-up seasons" for Filppula and Cleary? ;)

Not really. For Flip, only this last year really was, and that was derailed a bit by his injury. And he still improved.

For Cleary, I think we were happy with him as a 20 goal/40 point guy who could play in any situation. Then his goals dropped a bit, and we were hoping he'd do better this year to help replace some of the lost offense. He was baged up for most of the season, and with all the other injuries, I don't think he was too bad.

Well, let's look at it this way. Williams was brought in for $1.5 Million. He got 15 points in 44 games and was invisible in the playoffs so we won't worry about that. Just glancing through some of the free agent RW's heading to market soon, right away I find (don't groan) Maxim Afinogenov, who in comparison to Williams, played last year at $800K and played all season without serious injury and got 61 points. Now obviously after a season like that, he's going to get a raise -- and apparently an offer from Atlanta is already on the table for him to come back -- but even supposing he goes up to Williams' $1.5 Million, I'll take him over Jason 8 days out of 7! You throw him on the 1st/2nd line, maybe as redwingfan19 suggested you move Bert down to the third line to add more shifty offense, and with one move you're looking at a much scarier set of three lines.

We tried to have 3 scoring lines this past year. Then we got hit by the inuries. It's not like we started the season with a 4th line of May-Miller-Maltby.

What our attempt at 3 scoring lines got us Bert and Cleary on the 2nd line, Williams and a woefully underperforming Leino on the 3rd. Had Willy and Flip not gotten hurt, that third line might have broekn through and started scoring (they were playing well, just not finishing), but the 2nd line would have still been weak.

3 scoring lines in the cap era means you have to have some players performing well over their contracts. For that, you have to be lucky in FA or the draft. Not something you can really plan on.

Afinogenov was a $3m player, had a couple bad years, a lot of injury problem, and some questions about his work ethic. No one wanted to take a chance on him. Atlanta did and it paid off. We could offer him $1.5 and he'd most likely laugh at us. He will probably get back close to $3. Prospal was another guy no one seemed to want that turned into a bargain. You might even put Bert in that group.

We could try the same thing this year with Bert, and/or maybe someone like Tanguay or Chris Higgins, but you have to realize there's just as much chance for moves like that to turn out the way Williams did.

I'd rather bring in someone like Nystrom or Asham that are more sure bets, and hopefully save some room for the deadline.

#38 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,017 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:16 PM

It's bad, but it really isn't much of a problem. $1.5m isn't that bad for Drapes, he brings a lot of intangibles.

That used to be the case with Drapes, but I'm not so sure anymore. He's got a ton of heart and I appreciate all he's done for this franchise over the years, but he definitely isn't worth his contract for next season.

He plays less than 12 minutes a game, doesn't really kill penalties anymore, doesn't really take many faceoffs (he had 319, one more this season than Abby). He's still got decent speed and he hits guy, but when you're talking about losing a bigger, much younger, cheaper player like Drew Miller, that $1.5 mill and roster spot definitely hurts.

#39 RedStormRising

RedStormRising

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:32 PM

How long do we have to keep waiting for guys like Dan Cleary and Valtteri Filppula to have a so-called "step-up" season?

#40 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,823 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

I Love it. If we dont sign him Im be real mad.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.