• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#61 Lidstrom for life

Lidstrom for life

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 439 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

We don't really expect this kind of production do we?

I said "hopefully" not "realistically" :hehe:
credits to hobbit-face for my icon.

#62 NBCnothingbutcrosby

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:30 PM

It's bad, but it really isn't much of a problem. $1.5m isn't that bad for Drapes, he brings a lot of intangibles.

Clearys contract is the joke, he's garbage he'll be injured half the season again next year with like a broken leg or something. He doesn't deserve the money he's being paid.

For what we pay him players like David Backes, Tomas Plekanec, Matt Lombardi, Scottie Upshall, Joe Pavelski, Alex Tanguay all made equal to or less than Clearys 09 salary. I'd take anyone of them for him... his god damn NTC.
Not now chief, I'm in the zone.

#63 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:10 PM

Clearys contract is the joke, he's garbage he'll be injured half the season again next year with like a broken leg or something. He doesn't deserve the money he's being paid.

For what we pay him players like David Backes, Tomas Plekanec, Matt Lombardi, Scottie Upshall, Joe Pavelski, Alex Tanguay all made equal to or less than Clearys 09 salary. I'd take anyone of them for him... his god damn NTC.

Do you, perchance, play a lot of NHL 10?

#64 Red Wings 2010

Red Wings 2010

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

I'm sure bert would take a pay cut to play another year as a wing. It seems he loves it here, and doesn't want to leave! Even if it means retiring as a wing.:clap:

#65 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 01:06 AM

I want Bertuzzi back for between 1-1.5 million. The guy has just built a fantastic attitude over the past year or so, it seems like he's a guy you'd want on a team now, which I don't think most people would say about him years ago.

Even though he's inconsistent, he brings a lot to the table for 1-1.5 million. Considering how weak the current crop of free agents is, it's a smart move to sign him for cheap (for less than his current salary in a perfect world, just to free up cap space, even if he doesn't deserve a decrease in pay).
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#66 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

Is this a bargaining stance or a threat?

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#67 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:00 AM

Regarding Miller, I think the main reason we are going to sign him is for competition in the summer. I think after training camp we will likely trade or waive Miller if it looks like Ritola is going to work out.

I sure hope this is what we do.

Miller is a solid player but we don't really need him, have more than enough bottom 6 forwards and PK's.

Helm/Eaves
Flip/Cleary

With help from Dats, Hank and Draper if need be.

I agree that if Ritola has a solid camp and plays well in the PS matches then I see us trading Miller.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#68 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:27 AM

Alex Tanguay's career is over.Wait,did it ever..begin?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#69 Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)

Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

Right. Cleary put up another 40-point season with a solid defensive contribution in '08-'09 while playing on the 3rd line, while putting in his usual defensive performance. Then he scored nine goals and six assists with a whopping plus-17 in the playoffs. The only person who even came close to that +/- was Zetterberg at a +13. This entire season he was playing injured.

This sort of comment makes it clear that you've no compunction against making arguments that are absolutely not backed up with facts. Oh, wait... you joined here two months ago. Typical.

Filppula? Yeah, let's see. He was on the verge of a breakout season before he was injured as was, he put up 35 points in 55 games on a roster that saw a whole lot of other injuries. In the '08-'09 playoffs, he was our 4th-leading scorer, and he put up 9 points in 12 games in this year's playoffs.

Once again....

When is the last time Cleary had 20 goals or a big hit? Both were before his NTC, and Filppula has always "been on the verge".
As for when I joined :tease:

#70 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

I certainly hope it's just a dude telling you straight up what he is doing, obviously he's saying that he'd take a little less too. :siren:
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#71 Guest_nutz2u (Guest)

Guest_nutz2u (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:05 AM

Right. Cleary put up another 40-point season with a solid defensive contribution in '08-'09 while playing on the 3rd line, while putting in his usual defensive performance. Then he scored nine goals and six assists with a whopping plus-17 in the playoffs. The only person who even came close to that +/- was Zetterberg at a +13. This entire season he was playing injured.

This sort of comment makes it clear that you've no compunction against making arguments that are absolutely not backed up with facts. wait... you joined here two months ago. Typical. Oh,

Filppula? Yeah, let's see. He was on the verge of a breakout season before he was injured as was, he put up 35 points in 55 games on a roster that saw a whole lot of other injuries. In the '08-'09 playoffs, he was our 4th-leading scorer, and he put up 9 points in 12 games in this year's playoffs.

Once again....

What does when some one joined have to do with anything? You joined first, so that makes you smarter or your opinion has more merit?
Fact is Cleary had two 20 goal seasons prior to signing a contract that has paid him 2.5M the past 2 years for a combined 29 goals and will be getting 3M for the next 3 seasons. I'm damn sure that Holland expected a bit more for his money. Both Filppula and Cleary are overpaid by 40% for what they have brought to the table the past 2 seasons. Hell Homer deserves more than either one of them, and don't give me any s*** about them being injured, Homer takes more of a beating than both of them put together.

#72 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:11 AM

And no one knows that more than Cleary. I'll bet any money he lives by his words and trains the hardest he ever has this off-season.

As for having a scoring 3rd line, I think we have the talent here already. A line of Cleary-Abdelkader-Bertuzzi could do some damage in my estimation. Cleary will be hungry to bounce back. Bertuzzi, while inconsistent, is still very much a scoring threat. And as far as Abdelkader, I think he's got untapped offensive potential. I've had discussions with scouts and other people who've watched him in college and GR and they feel that he could end up being a very solid 3rd liner. I'd even venture to say that Ritola could surprise some people too... maybe work himself into that spot instead of Abs.

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Mule/Homer
Hudler-Filppula-Homer/Mule
Cleary-Abs/Ritola-Bertuzzi
Abs/Draper-Helm-Eaves

I'm actually pretty ok with that team, esp living in a salary cap world. I also have soft spot for a line of Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves. I think it could be very effective should Ritola surprise people and do well for himself.

#73 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

For the first time in years Cleary will be starting the season 100% healthy and in perfect shape. He said he's stepping up his training and he's going to be a tank come October. I know he has been disappointing point wise, but he's still the hardest worker on the team and with a good knee and determination he can prove his worth.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#74 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

I sorta hoped it was a promise.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#75 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:49 AM

When is the last time Cleary had 20 goals or a big hit? Both were before his NTC, and Filppula has always "been on the verge".
As for when I joined :tease:

If you're implying it's because he started slacking off once he got his NTC, I don't think that's the reason.

2010/04/04 Missed 4 games (groin).
2010/03/27 Groin, day-to-day.
2010/03/24 Missed 2 games (groin).
2010/03/22 Groin, day-to-day.
2010/01/07 Missed 12 games (separated shoulder).
2009/12/10 Separated shoulder, mid-January.
2008/11/28 Missed 8 games (left eye injury).
2008/11/11 Left eye injury, day-to-day.
2008/03/25 Missed 19 games (broken jaw).
2008/03/11 Signed by the Detroit Red Wings to a five-year contract extension.

He's not been the same since he broke his jaw, and has had a nagging groin injury, bad eye, and a bad knee. The biggest question mark with Cleary is his health, and so far things are sounding positive.

#76 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

I sure hope this is what we do.

Miller is a solid player but we don't really need him, have more than enough bottom 6 forwards and PK's.

Helm/Eaves
Flip/Cleary

With help from Dats, Hank and Draper if need be.

I agree that if Ritola has a solid camp and plays well in the PS matches then I see us trading Miller.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Babcock said starting next season Abdelkader will be starting on the PK full time.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#77 Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)

• Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

If you're implying it's because he started slacking off once he got his NTC, I don't think that's the reason.

2010/04/04 Missed 4 games (groin).
2010/03/27 Groin, day-to-day.
2010/03/24 Missed 2 games (groin).
2010/03/22 Groin, day-to-day.
2010/01/07 Missed 12 games (separated shoulder).
2009/12/10 Separated shoulder, mid-January.
2008/11/28 Missed 8 games (left eye injury).
2008/11/11 Left eye injury, day-to-day.
2008/03/25 Missed 19 games (broken jaw).
2008/03/11 Signed by the Detroit Red Wings to a five-year contract extension.

He's not been the same since he broke his jaw, and has had a nagging groin injury, bad eye, and a bad knee. The biggest question mark with Cleary is his health, and so far things are sounding positive.

If you look at his history, he has always had injury problems.
06/07 71 games 20 goals
07/08 63 games 20 goals
08/09 74 games 14 goals
09/10 64 games 15 goals
Really he doesn't need a NTC because his 2.8M cap hit for what he has produced since that signing insures that no other team would want him..

#78 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

This sort of comment makes it clear that you've no compunction against making arguments that are absolutely not backed up with facts. Oh, wait... you joined here two months ago. Typical.

Once again....

And he coudlve been watching detroit play for 25 years your post is so stupid

#79 Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)

• Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

And he coudlve been watching detroit play for 25 years your post is so stupid

Well I went to games at Olympia Stadium which closed before smart mouth was born.

#80 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:01 PM

...and Filppula has always "been on the verge".

This was only Filppula's 4th full season. He did show considerable improvement in his 2nd. That improvement, and a nice contract, led a lot of fans to think he was somehow supposed to turn into an all-star while playing on the third line with almost no PP time the next year. So, even though he did improve that year, some people just looked at the lack of goals and thought of it as a disappointment. Failing to meet unrealistic fan expectations doesn't make him a disappointment.

This last year was the first time Flip was really expected to step up. Then he got stuck on the third line again to start the year, and had a significant injury. Despite that his play did improve considerably. He was easily our third best forward in the playoffs.

Both Filppula and Cleary are overpaid by 40% for what they have brought to the table the past 2 seasons. Hell Homer deserves more than either one of them, and don't give me any s*** about them being injured, Homer takes more of a beating than both of them put together.

There's more to the game than scoring. Homer scores a little more, but doesn't do any of the other things as well. Then Homer has to take a discount due to his age. Fair or not, his age is an additional risk factor that has to be considered when valuing a contract. If Homer was 27 or 30, he almost certainly would be paid more than Flip or Cleary.