• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

6th Defenseman

Rate this topic

This is Boston's roster as it stands right now. They have yet to sign Wheeler.... so add about $3 mil.

Patrice Bergeron — $4,750,000

Milan Lucic — $4,083,333

Marc Savard — $4,007,143

Michael Ryder — $4,000,000

David Krejci — $3,750,000

Marco Sturm — $3,500,000

Zach Hamill ($500,000) $1,316,667

Brad Marchand ($165,000) $821,667

Shawn Thornton — $812,500

Trent Whitfield — $550,000

DEFENSEMEN

Zdeno Chara — $7,500,000

Dennis Wideman — $3,937,500

Dennis Seidenberg — $3,250,000

Andrew Ference — $2,250,000

Matt Hunwick — $1,450,000

Jeff Penner ($1,000,000) $1,208,333

GOALTENDERS

Tim Thomas — $5,000,000

Tuukka Rask — $1,250,000

BUYOUTS

Peter Schaefer — $766,667

Patrick Eaves — $-41,667

LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS

NONE

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 18

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $54,162,143

BONUSES $1,665,000

CAP SPACE $4,302,857

Listed on the roster now are 10 forwards (without Wheeler) and 6 defensemen. Someone said they would sign Hall or Seguin at about $3.75 mil. Obviously doesn't leave a lot of room for Boychuk. If they were going to try to sign him they prolly can give him only around $1 mil or less. Wings could give him 1.3 - 1.6 mil. He has played with Chara and Wideman. What is interesting is that his +10 was second on team behind Chara. Wings could always keep Meech if they don't think Kindl will pan out.

uh................ patrick eaves????? oh I see he was a buy out. my bad

Edited by HockeyTownHouligan

He's gonna have to be cheap.Here's some guys that pop into my head in addition to the guys you mentioned:

Sean O'Donnell-Veteran Presence,still physical and fights

Andy Sutton-May be too expensive,but he would be my choice

Jay Leach-Cheap,big,physical,fights

Tim Conboy-Same as Leach

Aaron Johnson-Someone mentioned him earlier.He'd be a good fit

Willie Mitchell-Main problem with him is $$$

Carlo Colaiacovo-Physical and good puck handler.Main knock is injury history.

Jay McKee-Would be a good mentor for Ericsson.Classic stay at home guy.

I doubt Conboy would be the wings 6th guy. They may sign him to be like a Janik type from this year but Conboy could hardly crack Carolinas line up so what are his chances with the wings?

I doubt Conboy would be the wings 6th guy. They may sign him to be like a Janik type from this year but Conboy could hardly crack Carolinas line up so what are his chances with the wings?

That's very true,but the thing that would be nice about Conboy is that he can play forward too.Played as a forward during his short time up with the 'Canes last year.

Exelby for $1.2 million would be a pretty entertaining replacement for Lilja. He might actually motivate Kronwall to start hitting again.

Yeah Exelby is one of the more underrated hitters in the league I think. He lays guys out and can throw punches too.

Textbook #6 defenseman if you ask me and Toronto has a lot of defenseman so he might be the odd one out.

That's very true,but the thing that would be nice about Conboy is that he can play forward too.Played as a forward during his short time up with the 'Canes last year.

Replacement for Meech perhaps?

It was a clean hit and he was pissed that people were saying it was cheap.

The reporters are the idiots.

It was a clean hit and he was pissed that people were saying it was cheap.

The reporters are the idiots.

clean, cheap, whatever. give me one example of a red wing who would react like that in a similar situation.

the guy just exudes dumb.

exelby is a guy I've wanted on the wings for a while ever since he laid out sundin. I think he would be the perfect 6th defenseman for this team.

I also think he would come at a very reasonable price 1M-1.2M range.

Edited by redwingfan19

I'd take anyone that the OP mentioned. I'm very open minded when it comes to signing tougher players. Too bad Bob Rouse isn't on that list anymore. :D

BTW, somebody must really hate this thread for some reason.

Edited by GMRwings1983

exelby is a guy I've wanted on the wings for a while ever since he laid out sundin. I think he would be the perfect 6th defenseman for this team.

I also think he would come at a very reasonable price 1M-1.2M range.

After watching that I want him even more. He was on one of the tougher teams in the leaguel ast year so he wasn't forced to play as tough as he could. When guys come to Detroit they play even tougher then they are, here he could really be a force.

I love the enthusiasm about watching and waiting to see what moves are and aren't made to improve the Wings' roster. It's great and is another example of the Wings having the best fan base in the world.

But there is a reality that must be faced, which most of the posters in this thread will consider a travesty.

The #6 defenseman on the 2010-11 Red Wings, at least to start the season, will be one of three players:

Jonathan Ericsson, Jakub Kindl, or Derek Meech.

Ericsson already has a spot in the top six.

Kindl would have to play himself into a trade to be outside of the top seven.

Meech is going to be offered a contract and his feistiness, versatility and two-way ability could potentially bring him as high as 5th on the depth chart if he plays his best game every night.

For any new defensemen to be brought in, it would have to involve a trade of one of these three players, or a long-term injury to someone in the top four.

All three of Ericsson/Kindl/Meech have solid offensive skills and good secondary talents, they just need to fully develop their skills and round out their games. Ericsson and Kindl can be top-pairing defensemen in this league, and Meech can be a good all-around second-pairing defenseman who could be used in pretty much any situation. Think about Kyle Quincey. Meech consistently showed better all-around potential than Quincey in the AHL and played better in the NHL in the limited minutes each were given as call-ups in 2006-07 and 2007-08.

It is not unreasonable to think that Meech, who has played better now than he did in 2007-08, is still a better player than Quincey (Colorado's #1 defenseman, and he plays on top PP and PK units) and could still outperform him, if he were given a regular role.

It also makes you think more about the Lebda suck factor. Lebda truly sucked. This is a known fact. If Meech had been playing instead of Lebda (like I have advocated for a LONG time) would the team have performed better defensively? Quite likely. So adios Brett, enjoy whatever bottom tier team needs a speedy defenseman who can't hold on to the puck and doesn't play defense well.

So...

Ericsson

Pros:Huge, moderate physical game, cannon shot, decent passer.

Cons: Needs to improve defensively and be more aggressive physically.

Kindl

Pros: Good size, offensively very skilled, good skater.

Cons: Also needs defensive improvement and to add more aggressive physical game.

Meech

Pros: Slick skater with good speed, offensively aware, defensively capable.

Cons: On the smaller side, although he can play aggressively he can often be outmuscled.

There's your #5-#7 defensemen.

The #6 defenseman on the 2010-11 Red Wings, at least to start the season, will be one of three players:

...Meech can be a good all-around second-pairing defenseman who could be used in pretty much any situation. Think about Kyle Quincey. Meech consistently showed better all-around potential than Quincey in the AHL and played better in the NHL in the limited minutes each were given as call-ups in 2006-07 and 2007-08.

It is not unreasonable to think that Meech, who has played better now than he did in 2007-08, is still a better player than Quincey (Colorado's #1 defenseman, and he plays on top PP and PK units) and could still outperform him, if he were given a regular role.

It also makes you think more about the Lebda suck factor. Lebda truly sucked. This is a known fact. If Meech had been playing instead of Lebda (like I have advocated for a LONG time) would the team have performed better defensively? Quite likely.

While I agree there is a definite chance that these guys end up being our bottom 3 D, I can't agree with you on Meech's potential.

I don't think you can use Quincey as an argument. It's true that Meech looked a little better while both were here, but there's absolutely nothing about Meech's play that suggests he could be better (or even nearly as good) as Quincey has become. I'm not sure why you think Meech is better than Lebda. He's never performed better. Meech has had ample opportunities here; 122 games over the past 3 seasons. Not once has he shown himself to be any better than Lebda. Nor has the team been better with him in over Lebda. You've acknowledged that Lebda sucks. Shouldn't the fact Meech hasn't been able to outperform him that tell you that Meech also sucks?

He's cheap and can fill in as a 4th line forward. That makes him an OK option for the 23rd spot on the roster. But we've never seen even one glimmer that suggests he deserves a regular spot in the lineup, much less 2nd-pair potential.

Edited by Buppy

I love the enthusiasm about watching and waiting to see what moves are and aren't made to improve the Wings' roster. It's great and is another example of the Wings having the best fan base in the world.

But there is a reality that must be faced, which most of the posters in this thread will consider a travesty.

Ericsson already has a spot in the top six.

Kindl would have to play himself into a trade to be outside of the top seven.

Meech is going to be offered a contract and his feistiness, versatility and two-way ability could potentially bring him as high as 5th on the depth chart if he plays his best game every night.

For any new defensemen to be brought in, it would have to involve a trade of one of these three players, or a long-term injury to someone in the top four.

All three of Ericsson/Kindl/Meech have solid offensive skills and good secondary talents, they just need to fully develop their skills and round out their games. Ericsson and Kindl can be top-pairing defensemen in this league, and Meech can be a good all-around second-pairing defenseman who could be used in pretty much any situation. Think about Kyle Quincey. Meech consistently showed better all-around potential than Quincey in the AHL and played better in the NHL in the limited minutes each were given as call-ups in 2006-07 and 2007-08.

It also makes you think more about the Lebda suck factor. Lebda truly sucked. This is a known fact. If Meech had been playing instead of Lebda (like I have advocated for a LONG time) would the team have performed better defensively? Quite likely. So adios Brett, enjoy whatever bottom tier team needs a speedy defenseman who can't hold on to the puck and doesn't play defense well.

So...

Ericsson

Pros:Huge, moderate physical game, cannon shot, decent passer.

Cons: Needs to improve defensively and be more aggressive physically.

Kindl

Pros: Good size, offensively very skilled, good skater.

Cons: Also needs defensive improvement and to add more aggressive physical game.

Meech

Pros: Slick skater with good speed, offensively aware, defensively capable.

Cons: On the smaller side, although he can play aggressively he can often be outmuscled.

There's your #5-#7 defensemen.

That may be true but Holland did say Meech might be traded and he also said he is looking for another #6 defenseman.

It makes me think Lilja and Meech are gone, Ericcson plays the 5 spot and Kindl starts as the 7th until he gets his feet wet.

All this depends on if they can get a decent defenseman to play that 6 spot at an ok price, probably around 1 mil.

After watching that I want him even more. He was on one of the tougher teams in the leaguel ast year so he wasn't forced to play as tough as he could. When guys come to Detroit they play even tougher then they are, here he could really be a force.

I will have to say I haven't paid too much attention to this guy. He wouild be a nice addition on the third pairing, him and Ericsson (if he can find his mean streak again) could make a very good pairing. That being said, not quite sure he is a Ken Holland type of player, and i will leave it at that. Also watching the video, once he puts on the Detroit sweater, all of those hits will most likely be called penalties. :ninja:

edit: I just hope that Meech/Lebda and Lilja are all NOT in a Wings uniform when the season starts...

Edited by LeftWinger

I will have to say I haven't paid too much attention to this guy. He wouild be a nice addition on the third pairing, him and Ericsson (if he can find his mean streak again) could make a very good pairing. That being said, not quite sure he is a Ken Holland type of player, and i will leave it at that. Also watching the video, once he puts on the Detroit sweater, all of those hits will most likely be called penalties. :ninja:

edit: I just hope that Meech/Lebda and Lilja are all NOT in a Wings uniform when the season starts...

I dunno, Holland seems to like skilled forwards but always seems to have a fairly tough defense man corps. Kronwall and Stuart might be the hardest hitting pairing in the league. Lilja used to be tough, didn't fight a lot but could when he had too and then theres Ericcson who I think might start playing meaner and less pretty since he had a bad season.

We had Lilja, who could fight small heavyweight type fighters when he needed to and with him gone i could really see Kenny signing a guy like Exelby. Same price range, toughness upgrade and Holland has said he wants a tougher team to play against. Exelby or Boynton are fine by my standards.