• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

6th Defenseman

Rate this topic

In the article about Bert eith resigning or retiring it says the wings are targeting either a gritty forward or 6th defenseman. If Lilja isn't back they may look for a similar style player(pre-injury) as Lilja so who do you guys think are possibilities? After hearing Kenny sa they wanna be tougher to play against I tihnk they'll bring in more of a tough, crease clearing type guy and salary needs to be taken into account. This is who I have as possibilities:

Garnet Exelby - pretty tough player. Would be a decent #6

Nick Boynton - only 30. Will hit, fight and is a decent player

Jason Strudiwck - getting old but still plays the game hard. Very similar style to Lilja but tougher.

SHane Hnidy - Classic stay at home type

Milan Jurcina - From what I've seen he seems like a big hitter and clears the crease. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one.

Anyone else you guys can think of as potential free agent Lilja type, mean, stay at home guys?

Hopefully we can have both a 4th line gritty player and a tough defensemen. Exelby is the only player you mentioned that I've seen play often- he's certainly good enough to be our sixth defensemen but he would probably need to take a pay cut to play here. What are the chances of Janik being called up full-time next year? He's gritty and plays a solid defensive game. If Kindl can handle regular duty, Janik could be a decent 6th/7th defensemen at a cheap price.

Edited by WorkingOvertime

Hopefully we can have both a 4th line gritty player and a tough defensemen. Exelby is the only player you mentioned that I've seen play often- he's certainly good enough to be our sixth defensemen but he would probably need to take a pay cut to play here. What are the chances of Janik being called up full-time next year? He's gritty and plays a solid defensive game. If Kindle can handle regular duty, Janik could be a great 6th/7th defensemen at a cheap price.

Exelby is a pretty good player but I tihnk coming off a year in TO he'll be due for a slight cut or may want to take one to play in Detroit which is always possible.

Janik seemed good when he was here but I dunno if he really is the answer for our need at number 6. The guy hasn't held an NHL job for a long time for a reason. I would not be unhappy with him being the full time 6 or 7 guy because he is tough(not a heavyweight but a good middleweight) and played well when he was up with us because his game is simple.

I have a hard time imagining them walking away from Lilja unless someone really tempting comes along. Holland likes sticking to familiar players...

Still, I'm guessing the points is to generate discussion :P

Excelby is someone I really wanted us to get back when he played for Atlanta... but as a Leaf he's been considerably less impressive. You can argue that it's the Leafs who are making him look worse, but the doubt is still there now.

What about Brendan Witt? I'm not really familiar with Leastern teams so I'm not sure if he has anything left in the tank.

Guest Lidstromboli

brendan witt managed to play himself off of the islanders.

think about it

Milan Jurcina - From what I've seen he seems like a big hitter and clears the crease. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one.

ASSETS: Owns a huge frame and the ability to play an all-around game from time to time. Also possesses a big shot from the point. Takes up a lot of space in the defensive zone.

FLAWS: Doesn't play with a lot of passion and rarely takes full advantage of his tremendous size. His skating and coordination are also weaknesses in his game.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Inconsistent big defenseman.

He did okay in the Olympics. He might be able to provide some physical play here and there but I imagine that the kind of guy you're looking for is someone who has never EVER been questioned about passion and using their size to their advantage.

Exelby is a pretty good player but I tihnk coming off a year in TO he'll be due for a slight cut or may want to take one to play in Detroit which is always possible.

Janik seemed good when he was here but I dunno if he really is the answer for our need at number 6. The guy hasn't held an NHL job for a long time for a reason. I would not be unhappy with him being the full time 6 or 7 guy because he is tough(not a heavyweight but a good middleweight) and played well when he was up with us because his game is simple.

I think the problem with Janik is the uncertainty of E and Kindl. IMO Janik can handle 7th D duty just fine (and cheap), but if E and/or Kindl fail to develop, Janik may not be sufficient. Either way, signing anyone for 1m+ for more than a year could be risky with the possible emergence of E, Kindl, and Smith (later) in the coming year(s).

He did okay in the Olympics. He might be able to provide some physical play here and there but I imagine that the kind of guy you're looking for is someone who has never EVER been questioned about passion and using their size to their advantage.

Yeah, with Kindl and Ericsson on the team we have more than enough big players who don't use their size consistently.

Guest Lidstromboli

:lol: I didn't know he was actually on the outs with them.

they waived his ass

I still think Lilja would be the safe move here. If he can return at his current cap hit, or perhaps even lower, then I think it would be a good move. If Lilja could sign for 1 million, then I don't think there would necessarily be a better option. I'm thinking Holland targets a gritty 3rd/4th liner, and that will end up being our only "new" acquisition.

Yeah, with Kindl and Ericsson on the team we have more than enough big players who don't use their size consistently.

Pretty much everybody is scared to death of a possible third pairing of those two. I am a little as well, I must admit, but at the same time I can see those two playing well together. It sounds crazy, but bear with me.

They're pretty similar in my mind. They both have shown shades in the past of an ability to play physical. They're both skilled and they like to make skilled plays. They think the game in a fairly similar way.

When both of these guys are under pressure they tend to make skill plays that perhaps their partner isn't ready for thus leading to a lot of frustrating giveaways. Babcock has said this about Ericsson this past year and Kindl's staunchest supporters have said this about him for years. Don't get me wrong, they're both at fault for that tendency because it shows somewhat of an inability to communicate and make adjustments to the tendencies of their dman partner and teammates for the betterment of the team.

At the same time, what if they had a linemate where they didn't have to adjust as much? Where they make a skilled play, the instincts match one another and the result is tape to tape? When Ericsson was on Kronwall's side he didn't look so bad. At least, not as bad as when he played with Lebda. Why can't a pairing of Ericsson and Kindl have a similar result? They have similar games and they can both play the game the way they like to play it. Then you got both guys playing with confidence because they're allowed to play hockey the way they know how and that confidence will allow them to play a punishing game on the defensive end.

I'm not saying that's how a pairing of Ericsson and Kindl will work out. I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if those two found a way to be effective with one another because they have similar skill sets and they'll be able to use them if they're on the same pairing. Does it really sound that crazy after all?

The Wings should go after Johnny Boychuk from Boston, 26 yo, big and responsible defensively and a big hitter..... he will become an excellent defenceman.

A Boston fan's assessment of Boychuk:

"He has a BOMB of a shot. It's hard and some what accurate. That is his most valuable skill. He's not really a PP QB, he's a defenseman with a cannon and he does remind me a lot of Souray. Not a great skater, not a great passer, physical, and a huge cannon shot.

He was named the top AHL defenseman of the year. He has good positioning but he needs to play with a really good defenseman or he's going to be exposed. He can't carry a pairing yet. But he hasn't left Chara or Wideman out to dry.

IMO, he's a future #4 defenseman that can play on a team's top PP unit, blasting shots from the point. I don't think he'll ever be a good PMD, but he should be a good physical #4."

Edited by Icesurfer

Guest Lidstromboli

Was there any anomosity between the Isles, and Witt?...Was it mutual that they both go their own ways?...Maybe Witt wanted off that sinking ship?

Anywho - Witt is indestructable; when he went out for his morning coffee in Philly he was struck by an suv...Sounds like a Red Wing if you ask me :D

he was really bad this year.

The Wings should go after Johnny Boychuk from Boston, 26 yo, big and responsible defensively and a big hitter..... he will become an excellent defenceman.

"He has a BOMB of a shot. It's hard and some what accurate. That is his most valuable skill. He's not really a PP QB, he's a defenseman with a cannon and he does remind me a lot of Souray. Not a great skater, not a great passer, physical, and a huge cannon shot.

He was named the top AHL defenseman of the year. He has good positioning but he needs to play with a really good defenseman or he's going to be exposed. He can't carry a pairing yet. But he hasn't left Chara or Wideman out to dry.

IMO, he's a future #4 defenseman that can play on a team's top PP unit, blasting shots from the point. I don't think he'll ever be a good PMD, but he should be a good physical #4."

He'd be nice, but I doubt Boston would let him go easily. Also, another young guy may not be in our best interest. I'd still like it if we could get him at a low price.

What about Shaone Morrison? Might be a bit on the expensive side, but I don't think he'd need much of a raise over his current ~$2m, and Washington seems to be intent on going after Volchenkov so they may let him go. (Then again, with the general shortage of decent d-men, he might draw a premium...)

This is Boston's roster as it stands right now. They have yet to sign Wheeler.... so add about $3 mil.

Patrice Bergeron — $4,750,000

Milan Lucic — $4,083,333

Marc Savard — $4,007,143

Michael Ryder — $4,000,000

David Krejci — $3,750,000

Marco Sturm — $3,500,000

Zach Hamill ($500,000) $1,316,667

Brad Marchand ($165,000) $821,667

Shawn Thornton — $812,500

Trent Whitfield — $550,000

DEFENSEMEN

Zdeno Chara — $7,500,000

Dennis Wideman — $3,937,500

Dennis Seidenberg — $3,250,000

Andrew Ference — $2,250,000

Matt Hunwick — $1,450,000

Jeff Penner ($1,000,000) $1,208,333

GOALTENDERS

Tim Thomas — $5,000,000

Tuukka Rask — $1,250,000

BUYOUTS

Peter Schaefer — $766,667

Patrick Eaves — $-41,667

LOST VIA REENTRY WAIVERS

NONE

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 18

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $54,162,143

BONUSES $1,665,000

CAP SPACE $4,302,857

Listed on the roster now are 10 forwards (without Wheeler) and 6 defensemen. Someone said they would sign Hall or Seguin at about $3.75 mil. Obviously doesn't leave a lot of room for Boychuk. If they were going to try to sign him they prolly can give him only around $1 mil or less. Wings could give him 1.3 - 1.6 mil. He has played with Chara and Wideman. What is interesting is that his +10 was second on team behind Chara. Wings could always keep Meech if they don't think Kindl will pan out.

Edited by Icesurfer

$$$$$

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 18

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $54,162,143

BONUSES $1,665,000

CAP SPACE $4,302,857

Listed on the roster now are 10 forwards (without Wheeler) and 6 defensemen. Someone also said they were going to sign Seguin or Hall at about $3.75 mil. Obviously doesn't leave a lot or room for Boychuk. If they were going to try to sign him they prolly can give him only around $1 mil or less. Wings could give him 1.3 - 1.6 mil. He has played with Chara and Wideman. What is interesting is that his +10 was second on team behind Chara. Wings could always keep Meech if they don't think Kindl will pan out.

Hmm, tighter than I expected when I saw what they gave Seidenberg. But with a $2m cap raise and moving Thomas (if they can) they'd have ~$9.5m to sign Wheeler, Hall/Seguin, a 13th forward, Boychuk, and a backup goalie, plus they'd have close to $4.5 in bonus cushion to work with if they needed to.

Then again, they may want to make some other moves, as the roster you gave has four players that have only played a few NHL games. Then again, they could be next year's Blackhawks if Hall/Seguin can be an impact player. They might be willing to use that bonus cushion. Then again, they might have trouble moving Thomas.

Buychuk is definitely worth a look, and I'm sure a lot of other teams will be looking as well. Something to watch at least.

Yeah looking through the free agent list I thought Boychuk would be a possibility but I was thinking he would get a bit of a raise and be a bit to expensive for the wings cap situation.

I'm thinking our 6th dman this year is going to be getting no more then about 1.2 million or so.

Yeah, whoever they get, they need someone similar to Lilja, but ideally nastier and more physical around his own net. Lillypads is big, but we need a guy who will punish players around the Detroit crease. right now no one in the Wings lineup does that.

Yeah, whoever they get, they need someone similar to Lilja, but ideally nastier and more physical around his own net. Lillypads is big, but we need a guy who will punish players around the Detroit crease. right now no one in the Wings lineup does that.

Lilja used to be fairly mean before the concussion and he wasnt a bad fighter when he decided to fight either.

Now that he isn't that same player anymore I think the wings target a similar style of pre-injury Lilja. A big, mean stay at home guy that will clear the crease.

Yeah looking through the free agent list I thought Boychuk would be a possibility but I was thinking he would get a bit of a raise and be a bit to expensive for the wings cap situation.

I'm thinking our 6th dman this year is going to be getting no more then about 1.2 million or so.

He's gonna have to be cheap.Here's some guys that pop into my head in addition to the guys you mentioned:

Sean O'Donnell-Veteran Presence,still physical and fights

Andy Sutton-May be too expensive,but he would be my choice

Jay Leach-Cheap,big,physical,fights

Tim Conboy-Same as Leach

Aaron Johnson-Someone mentioned him earlier.He'd be a good fit

Willie Mitchell-Main problem with him is $$$

Carlo Colaiacovo-Physical and good puck handler.Main knock is injury history.

Jay McKee-Would be a good mentor for Ericsson.Classic stay at home guy.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

He's gonna have to be cheap.Here's some guys that pop into my head in addition to the guys you mentioned:

John Erskine-Had an off year,may take a little less

Andy Sutton-May be too expensive,but he would be my choice

Jay Leach-Cheap,big,physical,fights

John Scott-refer to Leach

Aaron Johnson-Someone mentioned him earlier.He's be a good fit

Steve Staios-Physical and he would be a good mentor for Ericsson

Jeff Woywitka-He'll be cheap.He's big.Mainly stay at home

Boris Valabik-Guys an absolute beast.Not sure what his contract situation with Atlanta is

Jim Vandermeer-Classic hard hitting,stay at home defenseman.Didn't play much in Phoenix last year.He won't eat up much cap space either.

How many of those guys are actually UFAs though?

I know Erskine isn't but I would like him here.