• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 08:37 AM

While watching the Finals,I can't help but flash back to when Gary Thorne and Bill Clement were the crew for ESPN.Steve Levy used to call some NHL games on ESPN as well.I love Detroit's tandem of Ken and Mickey in the booth.Anyone have favorites?or guys they can't stand?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

For national coverage, I'd take Gary Thorne over anyone else. I miss hearing him and Clement doing games. And no, I've never believed in all that supposed Avalanche bias.

The guys I can't stand are the homers. Boston, Colorado, Columbus, San Jose, St. Louis. They all have ridiculous homers doing their commentary. Jack Edwards in Boston is the worst of the worst.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:53 PM

For national coverage, I'd take Gary Thorne over anyone else. I miss hearing him and Clement doing games. And no, I've never believed in all that supposed Avalanche bias.

The guys I can't stand are the homers. Boston, Colorado, Columbus, San Jose, St. Louis. They all have ridiculous homers doing their commentary. Jack Edwards in Boston is the worst of the worst.

Edwards is horrible.I always liked Steve Levy.He called Patrick Roy's last NHL game:"Andrew Brunette!In sudden death overtime!and Minnesota is movin' on"I'll never forget that.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#4 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:21 PM

Thorne and Clement were solid. I've also always liked Jim Hughson. I've also always had a soft spot for Panger, although I'll admit that it may be due to his playing time in Saginaw (my original hometown) and friendship with Yzerman.

This one will be wildly unpopular, but I seriously enjoy watching Pierre McGuire. The guy is an encyclopedia and loves the game more than just about anyone else I've seen -- he's also a huge weirdo and excels at making his broadcast partners and interview subjects uncomfortable. I may not agree with most of what he says, but manoman is that little freak entertaining.

Oh, and Mickey, Dave and Ken, of course!

Edited by Uncle Danny, 06 June 2010 - 02:22 PM.

If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#5 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,262 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

Dave Strader and Mickey Redmond!

#6 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:53 PM

I love Ken and Mickey, and i agree with the pierre mcguire thing. It's fun hearing him point out the absolute obvious facts. I didn't enjoy some of the coverage ppl that vs has. Mastadonic pad save! I also miss Gary Thorne.

#7 Herr Hockey

Herr Hockey

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:57 PM

I actually like all of the commentators on VS. Does anybody know who did the Wings-Sharks series on versus? I know Daryl Reaugh did the color, but I have no idea who did the pbp. I thought they were both great.
IPB Image

#8 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:03 PM

gary thorne
jim hughson
the LA guys
jack edwards (because he's insane)

i don't really like ken daniels

Posted Image

#9 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

Gord Miller + Pierre McGuire ;)

Hockey passion at its best!

Edited by mindfly, 06 June 2010 - 03:18 PM.

#10 Hockey God

Hockey God

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:13 PM

hes not a tv announcer but the Wings PA announcer Budd Lynch is the man

#11 Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)

Guest_screwdahawks (Guest)
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

Redmond, Detroit's first 50 goal scorer! Definitely my favorite. Kenny's kool too, Strader is excellent. When opposing team's announcers are on I usually turn the sound off cuz a lot of them are such s***ty homers I can't stand listening to them......Thorne used to drive me nuts with his, remaining to go that he always said when he gave the time remaining in the game.

Edited by screwdahawks, 06 June 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#12 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

Redmond, Detroit's first 50 goal scorer! Definitely my favorite. Kenny's kool too, Strader is excellent. When opposing team's announcers are on I usually turn the sound off cuz a lot of them are such s***ty homers I can't stand listening to them......Thorne used to drive me nuts with his, remaining to go that he always said when he gave the time remaining in the game.

Actually, Redmond&Daniels are very homer'ish too, it's just we like them like that because they're homers for our team :cool:

#13 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:26 PM

Bob Miller the Kings guy for nearly 36 years, is probably my favorite. Ken and Mick are damn good too.

But in all honesty I love listening to Mike Lange broadcast for the Pens, Peter Maher for the Flames, and Tim Saunders for the Flyers.

I absolutely hate listening to Brian Hayward in Anaheim, Chuck Kaiton in Carolina, and of course 'Eddie O the homer from Chicago'
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#14 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

i wonder how many times redmond says "look out!" a game

Posted Image

#15 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

hes not a tv announcer but the Wings PA announcer Budd Lynch is the man

He was a radio and TV announcer, though.

#16 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

Thorne, Clement, and Levy were absolutely horrible. I hated having to watch games that they called. Their voices were nails on the chalkboard. Same goes for Doc Emrick. Can't stand his voice, his terminology, or how much he talks. The game's on TV, Doc, you don't have to describe EVERY LITTLE THING that happens... I can SEE it! He's probably best suited for radio.
Strader was/is excellent, I never understood why ESPN didn't use him more. He calls a nice game, doesn't get overexcited at nothing, and doesn't use ridiculous terms to describe routine plays.
Daniels is good but at times he wears on me; he could stand to tone it down a decibel or two. Redmond is pretty good too.
Hughson, Bob Cole, Harry Neale, and Chris Cuthbert are all good, very easy to listen to, especially Cole in his heyday.
I've heard clips of Pittsburgh's Mike Lange, he's funny.

#17 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:39 PM

I hope Doc Emrick says 'rubbed out' 100 times tonight!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#18 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:06 PM

Both of the guys on hockey night in canada do a great job and there isn't any bias whatsoever except with canadian teams. Of course ken and mickey and i like ken kal and paul woods too on the radio. Doc is annoying and eddie ol isn't bad, mcguire is a tool the whole nbc cast has no idea about anything.

#19 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 679 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:06 PM

Forgot to mention them ealier, but Drew Remenda and Randy Hahn out of San Jose are pretty good too. Remenda in particular does a good job of putting aside homerism in favor of calling a good hockey game.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#20 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:10 AM

nbc:

doc knows a ton about the game, but half the time i feel like sawing my ears off instead of listening to his voice.

edzo is usually pretty tolerable and fair. only really annoying thing he does is constantly point out "subtle little picks" in every game he calls.

pierre is kind of creepy but i watch waiting for him to say something awkward or ridiculous. he plays up that stuff a lot for tv. knows a lot about the game too.

Posted Image