• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Favorite Announcers

Rate this topic

For national coverage, I'd take Gary Thorne over anyone else. I miss hearing him and Clement doing games. And no, I've never believed in all that supposed Avalanche bias.

The guys I can't stand are the homers. Boston, Colorado, Columbus, San Jose, St. Louis. They all have ridiculous homers doing their commentary. Jack Edwards in Boston is the worst of the worst.

For national coverage, I'd take Gary Thorne over anyone else. I miss hearing him and Clement doing games. And no, I've never believed in all that supposed Avalanche bias.

The guys I can't stand are the homers. Boston, Colorado, Columbus, San Jose, St. Louis. They all have ridiculous homers doing their commentary. Jack Edwards in Boston is the worst of the worst.

Edwards is horrible.I always liked Steve Levy.He called Patrick Roy's last NHL game:"Andrew Brunette!In sudden death overtime!and Minnesota is movin' on"I'll never forget that.

Thorne and Clement were solid. I've also always liked Jim Hughson. I've also always had a soft spot for Panger, although I'll admit that it may be due to his playing time in Saginaw (my original hometown) and friendship with Yzerman.

This one will be wildly unpopular, but I seriously enjoy watching Pierre McGuire. The guy is an encyclopedia and loves the game more than just about anyone else I've seen -- he's also a huge weirdo and excels at making his broadcast partners and interview subjects uncomfortable. I may not agree with most of what he says, but manoman is that little freak entertaining.

Oh, and Mickey, Dave and Ken, of course!

Edited by Uncle Danny

I love Ken and Mickey, and i agree with the pierre mcguire thing. It's fun hearing him point out the absolute obvious facts. I didn't enjoy some of the coverage ppl that vs has. Mastadonic pad save! I also miss Gary Thorne.

I actually like all of the commentators on VS. Does anybody know who did the Wings-Sharks series on versus? I know Daryl Reaugh did the color, but I have no idea who did the pbp. I thought they were both great.

Guest Lidstromboli

gary thorne

jim hughson

the LA guys

jack edwards (because he's insane)

i don't really like ken daniels

Guest screwdahawks

Redmond, Detroit's first 50 goal scorer! Definitely my favorite. Kenny's kool too, Strader is excellent. When opposing team's announcers are on I usually turn the sound off cuz a lot of them are such s***ty homers I can't stand listening to them......Thorne used to drive me nuts with his, remaining to go that he always said when he gave the time remaining in the game.

Edited by screwdahawks

Guest mindfly

Redmond, Detroit's first 50 goal scorer! Definitely my favorite. Kenny's kool too, Strader is excellent. When opposing team's announcers are on I usually turn the sound off cuz a lot of them are such s***ty homers I can't stand listening to them......Thorne used to drive me nuts with his, remaining to go that he always said when he gave the time remaining in the game.

Actually, Redmond&Daniels are very homer'ish too, it's just we like them like that because they're homers for our team :cool:

Bob Miller the Kings guy for nearly 36 years, is probably my favorite. Ken and Mick are damn good too.

But in all honesty I love listening to Mike Lange broadcast for the Pens, Peter Maher for the Flames, and Tim Saunders for the Flyers.

I absolutely hate listening to Brian Hayward in Anaheim, Chuck Kaiton in Carolina, and of course 'Eddie O the homer from Chicago'

Thorne, Clement, and Levy were absolutely horrible. I hated having to watch games that they called. Their voices were nails on the chalkboard. Same goes for Doc Emrick. Can't stand his voice, his terminology, or how much he talks. The game's on TV, Doc, you don't have to describe EVERY LITTLE THING that happens... I can SEE it! He's probably best suited for radio.

Strader was/is excellent, I never understood why ESPN didn't use him more. He calls a nice game, doesn't get overexcited at nothing, and doesn't use ridiculous terms to describe routine plays.

Daniels is good but at times he wears on me; he could stand to tone it down a decibel or two. Redmond is pretty good too.

Hughson, Bob Cole, Harry Neale, and Chris Cuthbert are all good, very easy to listen to, especially Cole in his heyday.

I've heard clips of Pittsburgh's Mike Lange, he's funny.

Both of the guys on hockey night in canada do a great job and there isn't any bias whatsoever except with canadian teams. Of course ken and mickey and i like ken kal and paul woods too on the radio. Doc is annoying and eddie ol isn't bad, mcguire is a tool the whole nbc cast has no idea about anything.

Forgot to mention them ealier, but Drew Remenda and Randy Hahn out of San Jose are pretty good too. Remenda in particular does a good job of putting aside homerism in favor of calling a good hockey game.

Guest Lidstromboli

nbc:

doc knows a ton about the game, but half the time i feel like sawing my ears off instead of listening to his voice.

edzo is usually pretty tolerable and fair. only really annoying thing he does is constantly point out "subtle little picks" in every game he calls.

pierre is kind of creepy but i watch waiting for him to say something awkward or ridiculous. he plays up that stuff a lot for tv. knows a lot about the game too.

I like Doc Emerik a lot and used to love Thorne and Clemente. Olczyk used to rub me the wrong way, but I've warmed up to him. I have to say, for being the 'Hawks color guy I think he's doing a really good job of actually not being a homer in these Finals.

I like Ken and Mick, but that's almost certainly due to the fact that I'm used to their calls.

What I really like in an announcer is passion and excitement. I want an announcer to scream about a big goal (see: Ryan Kesler's empty netter) and so while I enjoy guys like Hughson, I find him to - generally - be a bit too reserved for my liking.

Thorne and Clement were solid. I've also always liked Jim Hughson. I've also always had a soft spot for Panger, although I'll admit that it may be due to his playing time in Saginaw (my original hometown) and friendship with Yzerman.

This one will be wildly unpopular, but I seriously enjoy watching Pierre McGuire. The guy is an encyclopedia and loves the game more than just about anyone else I've seen -- he's also a huge weirdo and excels at making his broadcast partners and interview subjects uncomfortable. I may not agree with most of what he says, but manoman is that little freak entertaining.

Oh, and Mickey, Dave and Ken, of course!

You know, I never thought about it that way, but you're right...what the heck would we do without Pierre? Dude is beyond creepy, but that's what makes it interesting. I mean, I follow a fake Pierre on Twitter for the comedy, so as much as he makes me start edging back from the TV set whenever he's on screen, I obviously must get a bang out of him in some respect (but not like that...oh man, my mind is now set on dirty...thanks, Pierre). And actually, I've appreciated a few of his obvious calls in the past...most of the time it's still unnecessary, but it's turned on the lightbulb for this noob a time or two.

Mickey and whoever else...he is just classic homerism to its finest degree thumbup.gif

Worst would have to go to Doc Emmerich. He just has the worst voice for games. It just gives me a headache. DRIIIIIIVE, In the mesh!, SHOOOOOOTING!! Enough already...

Thorne's goal calls are probably the best ever...especially this one