• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:39 AM

I like Doc Emerik a lot and used to love Thorne and Clemente. Olczyk used to rub me the wrong way, but I've warmed up to him. I have to say, for being the 'Hawks color guy I think he's doing a really good job of actually not being a homer in these Finals.

I like Ken and Mick, but that's almost certainly due to the fact that I'm used to their calls.

What I really like in an announcer is passion and excitement. I want an announcer to scream about a big goal (see: Ryan Kesler's empty netter) and so while I enjoy guys like Hughson, I find him to - generally - be a bit too reserved for my liking.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#22 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,644 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:52 AM

1. Ken and Mick
2. Gary Thorne and Bill Clement
3. Joe Beninati (yes)
4. Doc

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 07 June 2010 - 10:53 AM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#23 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:55 AM

Thorne and Clement were solid. I've also always liked Jim Hughson. I've also always had a soft spot for Panger, although I'll admit that it may be due to his playing time in Saginaw (my original hometown) and friendship with Yzerman.

This one will be wildly unpopular, but I seriously enjoy watching Pierre McGuire. The guy is an encyclopedia and loves the game more than just about anyone else I've seen -- he's also a huge weirdo and excels at making his broadcast partners and interview subjects uncomfortable. I may not agree with most of what he says, but manoman is that little freak entertaining.

Oh, and Mickey, Dave and Ken, of course!

You know, I never thought about it that way, but you're right...what the heck would we do without Pierre? Dude is beyond creepy, but that's what makes it interesting. I mean, I follow a fake Pierre on Twitter for the comedy, so as much as he makes me start edging back from the TV set whenever he's on screen, I obviously must get a bang out of him in some respect (but not like that...oh man, my mind is now set on dirty...thanks, Pierre). And actually, I've appreciated a few of his obvious calls in the past...most of the time it's still unnecessary, but it's turned on the lightbulb for this noob a time or two.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#24 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,955 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Mickey Redmond is so likable. He has the kind of personality that makes me want to invite him over for dinner. Larry Murphy is unknowingly hilarious every time he's on screen or opens his mouth.

#25 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:09 AM

Mickey and whoever else...he is just classic homerism to its finest degree Posted Image

Worst would have to go to Doc Emmerich. He just has the worst voice for games. It just gives me a headache. DRIIIIIIVE, In the mesh!, SHOOOOOOTING!! Enough already...

Thorne's goal calls are probably the best ever...especially this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaYDDpTkv30
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#26 BUHdactyl

BUHdactyl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Rick Jeanneret.

I want Buffalo to win the cup soon just so I can hear his reaction. He is flat out awesome.

#27 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

Rick Jeanneret.

I want Buffalo to win the cup soon just so I can hear his reaction. He is flat out awesome.

MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! :yowza: :yowza: :yowza:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xxSsEqjIk

#28 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:38 PM

Rick Jeanneret

/end sarcasm.

I can't help but like Mickey, and I was a fan of Thorne too. I like the Rangers broadcast team too, but their names escape me at the moment.

#29 hardcoretom21

hardcoretom21

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 07:47 PM

Jim Hughson (sp?) is pretty good, no wonder EA Sports has turned to him all those years.. Also, Gord Miller (Remember Zata's backhand-while-falling goal against Colorado?) has a lot of talent.
Only breathing is more important than winning

"For most of a decade, the Wings were the most popular team not just because they won, but also because they won with flair, with speedy Russians and legendary leaders and the occasional willing fighter"

#30 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:30 PM

Favorite of all-time: Al Michaels and Mickey Redmond

Eleven seconds, you've got ten seconds, the countdown going on right now! Morrow, up to Silk. Five seconds left in the game. Do you believe in miracles?...YES!

Least Favorite: Bostons and Anahiems

Honorable mentions of awesomeness: Larry Murphy. he's done so much for this organization as a player and personnel, he deserves anything he wants.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#31 Wings_Toledo

Wings_Toledo

Seeing Red

• PipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Forgot to mention them ealier, but Drew Remenda and Randy Hahn out of San Jose are pretty good too. Remenda in particular does a good job of putting aside homerism in favor of calling a good hockey game.

Drew Remenda cracks me up with some of the stupid stuff he says, though. To this day I still joke with my friend, who's a Sharks fan, when we heard him say on TV one time, "I mean it's a clean hit, but come on, that's boarding!"

#32 zackmorris

zackmorris

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:17 AM

Ken and Mick are my favorite, but I'm sure someone will just say that's a homer pick so I'll take Thorne and Clement. I hate Emrick, he just sounds like a senile mad scientist now. CBC is too old and they sound lost and at a loss for words more than ever. NBC is laughable no matter who they shoehorn into the booth, because it's all a corporate circle jerk. Versus is so bad it's almost too obvious to mention. TSN are decent, but their voices bug me and they have too many Pierrisms.

Ken and Mick aren't shrieky or whiny, don't have dead air, have chemistry and really just don't bug me in any way. Thonre and Clement don't piss me off either.

#33 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:24 AM

Bob Cole and Harry Neale

Edit: Can't stand Peter Loubardias

Edited by atodaso, 08 June 2010 - 12:28 AM.

#34 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,719 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:30 AM

Eddi O, JR, Milbury, Pierre :battle: These four make my ears bleed!
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#35 Wings_Fan_In_Exile

Wings_Fan_In_Exile

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Darren Pang is my favorite. Bob Cole/Harry Neale are pretty good but I rarely hear him living in Colorado.

Rick Jeanneret.

haha, forgot about him. Me too.

And +1 on Boston's announcer. He's too much of a homer for me, although I do appreciate the enthusiasm to a point.

Edited by Wings_Fan_In_Exile, 08 June 2010 - 12:53 PM.

thanks offsides!

#36 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:17 PM

Im not going to bother spelling names right so ill name them by team. Washington, New jersy, Rangers for play by play. Ken and Mick obviously my favorite. On a side note the guys that do Florida Panthers games do a good job I think.

#37 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:22 PM

I jsut hate emerick, olczyk, and mcguire, it is fun to laugh at mcguire, but they created the worst combo possible, it is utterly annoying. And I also hate Cole, he was decent back during the Civil War.

Edited by jollymania, 08 June 2010 - 02:23 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#38 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:19 AM

People used to make fun of Clement and Thorne. IIRC the popular tags were "Thorgasm" and "Cement[head]". Olczyk is the worst color guy I've seen and heard.

My favorites tho, as far as play by play is concerned:

Gord Miller
Joe Bowen
Dean Brown
Dave Randorf
Bob Cole

I could not care less who the color guy is so long as he shuts the hell up when the puck is in play -- i.e. not Olcyk.

Edited by Shoreline, 09 June 2010 - 04:26 AM.

#39 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:49 AM

Gary Thorne is unbeatable.

For some reason I also love Mike Emerick's voice.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#40 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:31 AM

Gary Thorne is unbeatable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJTAnyLn_RI

For some reason I also love Mike Emerick's voice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWwcHjNv86Y

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png