• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:35 AM

Said this exact same thing to a buddy of mine last night after s***cago started controlling the whole game... Pretty much the same series with way less defense and goaltending. (Probably some of the worst tending I have seen in a Finals in a long time)

If Marian Hossa must go through the exact same thing 3 years in a row and the exact same series 2 years in a row I think it could be time to pull chute on signing that guy for Cup runs. Just a thought Posted Image

I'm with you. The goaltending in this series has been terrible.

6-5
2-1
4-3
5-3
7-5

Chicago has given up 20 goals in 5 games 4.00 GAA and Philly has given up 21 goals for 4.2 GAA.

As far as Hossa, the Hawks are stuck with him for the rest of his career. Nobody wants a career playoff underachiever.
Do or do not. There is no try

#22 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 11:38 AM

1) Features a team from the Midwest against a team from Pennsylvania.

2) Also features an extremely overrated player heralded to be something he is not (Crosby:Gretzky Toews::Yzerman)

3) Home team goes up 2-0 despite being outplayed

4) Home team has held serve up until this point

5) Both game 5's resulted in blowouts for the home team

We were outplayed in the first two games? We were outshot by a little, but won those games by a total of 6-2.

and in both, the Pennsylvania team is filled with d-bags...

:lol:

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:02 PM

The Flyers shouldn't have even been in this series! The way the Blackhawks are built this year, they should have totally dismantled this team in four. It's good to see a team like Philly, a true underdog hang in there like they are.

I have posted multiple times, prior to this series about my dislike for Philly. But in all honesty, I have found a great deal of respect for this team.

The Flyers actually have a good team on paper.

Two great scoring lines + Giroux, great checkers all around, and pretty solid top 4 defensemen.

They're weak in net, but Chicago hardly has a big name back there themselves.

I do think Chicago has a bit more scoring depth, but Philly has a pretty loaded team on paper, thus the series should be close, contrary to what you say.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 June 2010 - 01:03 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:05 PM

The Flyers actually have a good team on paper.

Two great scoring lines + Giroux, great checkers all around, and pretty solid top 4 defensemen.

They're weak in net, but Chicago hardly has a big name back there themselves.

I do think Chicago has a bit more scoring depth, but Philly has a pretty loaded team on paper, thus the series should be close, contrary to what you say.

So a team like Chicago that has pretty much dominated their opponents night in night out through the regular season, had a hot goaltender, that no one gave any validity too. Has a Norris trophy candidate on their blueline, three legitimate snipers, a big body in Buff, and home ice advantage throughout the playoffs, except SJ, for whom they swept. Comparing them to a team that made a coaching change, seven goalies, a seventh seed by a shootout, constant injuries from their big names while in the playoffs. This team should have been slaughtered by New Jersey, never being given a chance to do what they did to Boston.

I don't see how anyone could of thought Philly was going to be there, and give a beast like Chicago a run like they are doing. And imo, Philly looks better on ice then they will ever on paper. Their regular season stats were nothing to brag about this year.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#25 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

So a team like Chicago that has pretty much dominated their opponents night in night out through the regular season, had a hot goaltender, that no one gave any validity too. Has a Norris trophy candidate on their blueline, three legitimate snipers, a big body in Buff, and home ice advantage throughout the playoffs, except SJ, for whom they swept. Comparing them to a team that made a coaching change, seven goalies, a seventh seed by a shootout, constant injuries from their big names while in the playoffs. This team should have been slaughtered by New Jersey, never being given a chance to do what they did to Boston.

I don't see how anyone could of thought Philly was going to be there, and give a beast like Chicago a run like they are doing. And imo, Philly looks better on ice then they will ever on paper. Their regular season stats were nothing to brag about this year.

i don't know that anyone was saying that philly should be where they are now, but once they got to the finals i knew they had a good chance. A lot of ppl thought that chicago was going to dominate, but philly has a great team. Plus, it's the sport of hockey, where any team can win any given night.

Here's to hoping this year's finals ends up going the same way last years did.

#26 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

They were underachieving earlier in the season, but are now playing at full potential, which is why some people picked them to go to the Finals before the season started. The Flyers at full potential, with their mix of skill and grit, are a dominant team, which isn't that much worse than Chicago.

Your post sounds like it's coming from February, and not today. At this point there should be no surprise on your part.

And the coaching change made them a better team. Laviolette is a more proven coach than Quenneville.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 07 June 2010 - 03:10 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#27 AIK'91

AIK'91

Rookie

• Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:24 PM

i don't know that anyone was saying that philly should be where they are now, but once they got to the finals i knew they had a good chance. A lot of ppl thought that chicago was going to dominate, but philly has a great team. Plus, it's the sport of hockey, where any team can win any given night.

Here's to hoping this year's finals ends up going the same way last years did.

You stole my avatar, man. :sly: Yours is just zoomed out a bit.

For a second, I thought I was reading my own post. :lol:

#28 Mitchmac33

Mitchmac33

Come on son!

• PipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

You stole my avatar, man. :sly: Yours is just zoomed out a bit.

For a second, I thought I was reading my own post. :lol:

haha crazy

#29 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:59 PM

The closest Philly ever got was within two goals. Chicago was in the driver's seat for about 90% of the game.

Pittsburgh didn't register a single goal in game 5. It wasn't a blowout. Chicago controlled the pace but they didn't dominate Philly like Detroit did Pittsburgh.

Posted Image

#30 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

I think Toews is a great player, and will end up being a superstar. Any reason the guy is "overrated" is because players generally get compared with the best player who plays a similar style. Obviously Toews isn't Yzerman at this point, but he does a lot of the stuff Yzerman did in terms of style. I'd actually like to see him succeed, as I like him as a player.

Now Kane on the other hand... he's a ****** nozzle. If I'm not mistaken he has some kind of awful mullet, and even has designs shaved into the sides of his hair. That's pretty much the hairstyle that grants you entry to ****** city.

#31 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:16 PM

On top of the Finals being similar, there's lots of fun stuff that has nothing to do with the games that's worth mentioning.

1 team since the lockout has won Game 5 and won the Stanley Cup. It was Anaheim and it was for the Cup. Marian Hossa has won 3 Game 5's in 3 Stanley Cup Finals, no Cups so far.

I'd like to think it'll be status quo, but honestly, I think Chicago will win in Game 7. However, if Philly can force a Game 7 against a young team like Chicago, and some how manage the first goal friday night... well there's a great chance Philly wins. But thats alot of what ifs, excited to see what happens in Game 6.

#NOMOREKINDL

#32 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:22 PM

I think Toews is a great player, and will end up being a superstar. Any reason the guy is "overrated" is because players generally get compared with the best player who plays a similar style. Obviously Toews isn't Yzerman at this point, but he does a lot of the stuff Yzerman did in terms of style. I'd actually like to see him succeed, as I like him as a player.

Now Kane on the other hand... he's a ****** nozzle. If I'm not mistaken he has some kind of awful mullet, and even has designs shaved into the sides of his hair. That's pretty much the hairstyle that grants you entry to ****** city.

Ditto. And Kane...oh boy. When people aren't talking about how goofy your mullet looks because they're too busy examining the crop circles shaved onto the sides of your head, you've really reached the ultimate in something.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#33 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:26 PM

entry to ****** city.

Instant front-runner for Mayor. Maybe a close 2nd to Pronger still. But that silly Pronger, you just have to laugh sometimes.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#34 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:23 AM

1) Features a team from the Midwest against a team from Pennsylvania.

2) Also features an extremely overrated player heralded to be something he is not (Crosby:Gretzky Toews::Yzerman)

3) Home team goes up 2-0 despite being outplayed

4) Home team has held serve up until this point

5) Both game 5's resulted in blowouts for the home team

If the pattern stays true then we should be in for a close victory by the Flyers in Game 6 and then an "anything can happen" scenario in Game 7. Stay tuned, it should be a good finish.

Those are some fantastic points, but I have the best reason for why the series might be fixed:

It's a best of seven series. That was exactly like 2009, 2008, and hell, possibly even 2007! :scared: