• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jroach17

Why Holmstrom

Rate this topic

Guest Heaten

Holmstrom is a bargain at his cap hit. What UFA is available that would score 25 goals for under 2 million?

The answer would be: None.

It seems like you want more of a decent complete package forward, which ultimately means a greater cap hit. If you want to trade away a couple players to make room for such an acquisition, I suppose that's fine as we're all armchair GMs anyway, but have you really considered what you would be giving up?

The Wings are already chock-full of the two way forwards you desire; in fact I believe we have two of the top three in the league in Datsyuk and Zetterberg. We also have plenty of playmakers (besides, a playmaker is only as good as the scorer he's passing to). Would adding a playmaking defensive forward really benefit the team in any way?

In terms of offense, the Wings could use a pure goalscorer or a power forward. Power forwards unfortunately are a dying breed in the NHL, and a team seems to be lucky to claim one on their roster these days. Our one is Franzen. As for goalscorers: again there isn't too much available on the market. Holland would have to give up a good deal to make room for someone who is capable of 30+ goals. Besides, the front office seems to think that Hudler could come close to that mark; certainly close enough considering his caphit.

So if the Wings need a goalscorer or a powerforward but there aren't any available, what can we do? That's where Homer comes in. The guy sucks defensively, skates like an 80 year old, is retarded when it comes to stick-handling, and looks and talks goofy. But he makes goalies play bad. When he's on the ice, the chances of the puck going into the net go up, and if you can't be a goalscorer you might as well help your line out as much as possible by raising their chances of scoring. And even better: defensmen can't move him. You can probably count on one hand the amount of players who can continuously take a beating like Homer can and not budge an inch, all the while tipping in pucks and tapping in rebounds. He's the absolute best at what he does and he's agreed to do it for less than 2M. It doesn't hurt that he seems to have decent chemistry with Datsyuk along the boards as well. At the very least he keeps a defensman completely focused on him which opens space up for the others to work their magic.

If you get rid of Homer, what do you think will happen to the offensive output of the Wings as a whole?

Yes, I know, but it is just less money we have to spend for free agents that could help our team in all situations, not just on the PP.

Holmstrom help the Wings more than just on the power play. He had 25 goals and 12 of them came at even strength. I'm not saying that he doesn't excel on the PP but his contribution extends beyond that. The Wing's sixth highest goal scorer (Eaves) had 12 total goals, Homer matched that with just his even strength goals.

Holmstrom is a bargain at his cap hit. What UFA is available that would score 25 goals for under 2 million?

The answer would be: None.

I don't know that, you don't know that & he hasn't scored 25 goals under $2M yet. Why couldn't we use his salary & combine it with others to aquire somebody alot better but at a higher cost. Use Lilja's, Maltby's, Lebda's, or Meech's combined with Holmstroms. There is also a possibility of a trade & the Wings needing that money.

I started to go though each NHL team & cap money to compare salaries, but I just don't have the time to really investigate & not to mention that the $1.875 we gave Holmstrom could be combined with other money to sign a better forward.

Believe me, I'm not happy with Cleary's contract at all! Rafalski has been very good since coming here & in some aguments has played better than Lidstrom at times, so that one I will let go.

Not saying Rafalski outplayed Lidstrom, just justifying his salary & why I'm not that upset about it.

:lol:

Quite the contradiction

contradiction.jpg

It seems like you want more of a decent complete package forward, which ultimately means a greater cap hit. If you want to trade away a couple players to make room for such an acquisition, I suppose that's fine as we're all armchair GMs anyway, but have you really considered what you would be giving up?

The Wings are already chock-full of the two way forwards you desire; in fact I believe we have two of the top three in the league in Datsyuk and Zetterberg. We also have plenty of playmakers (besides, a playmaker is only as good as the scorer he's passing to). Would adding a playmaking defensive forward really benefit the team in any way?

In terms of offense, the Wings could use a pure goalscorer or a power forward. Power forwards unfortunately are a dying breed in the NHL, and a team seems to be lucky to claim one on their roster these days. Our one is Franzen. As for goalscorers: again there isn't too much available on the market. Holland would have to give up a good deal to make room for someone who is capable of 30+ goals. Besides, the front office seems to think that Hudler could come close to that mark; certainly close enough considering his caphit.

So if the Wings need a goalscorer or a powerforward but there aren't any available, what can we do? That's where Homer comes in. The guy sucks defensively, skates like an 80 year old, is retarded when it comes to stick-handling, and looks and talks goofy. But he makes goalies play bad. When he's on the ice, the chances of the puck going into the net go up, and if you can't be a goalscorer you might as well help your line out as much as possible by raising their chances of scoring. And even better: defensmen can't move him. You can probably count on one hand the amount of players who can continuously take a beating like Homer can and not budge an inch, all the while tipping in pucks and tapping in rebounds. He's the absolute best at what he does and he's agreed to do it for less than 2M. It doesn't hurt that he seems to have decent chemistry with Datsyuk along the boards as well. At the very least he keeps a defensman completely focused on him which opens space up for the others to work their magic.

If you get rid of Homer, what do you think will happen to the offensive output of the Wings as a whole?

:clap: Very well said, & exactly what I was looking for when I asked Why Holmstrom? I do however think there are better options

:clap: Very well said, & exactly what I was looking for when I asked Why Holmstrom? I do however think there are better options

What exactly are those options? Not in the abstract but actual players who are available and that the Wings can afford?

Guest Heaten

I don't know that, you don't know that & he hasn't scored 25 goals under $2M yet.

There's no guarantees Datsyuk will score 50 points, then again, he could have a career year. That's hockey.

Why couldn't we use his salary & combine it with others to aquire somebody alot better but at a higher cost. Use Lilja's, Maltby's, Lebda's, or Meech's combined with Holmstroms. There is also a possibility of a trade & the Wings needing that money.

People keep asking and you continue to ignore the question: who?

this is the most ridiculous thread, how can you say resigning holmstrom for less than he earned last year, is a bad idea. the guy was injured and he still provided the team with 25 goals. he is without a doubt the best at what he does and you still have yet to say someone else that would be a better deal.

I agree with the draw backs and complaints about Holmstrom, but the reason for re-signing him is simple: he has a highly specialized skill set. As the OP suggested, in today's game with many big speedy wingers, those guys are easy to find, but finding someone with Holmstrom's skill set is not. It's more than just skillset though, as I wouldn't say there is a ton of skill involved, I think it's more willingness, that most other players simply don't possess. He works his ass off in practice at redirecting pucks as well.

He can definately be a liability in many ways, but I think that specialization that he brings continues to outweigh any liabilities. He was signed to a pay cut and he will go downhill, but I don't think his value is gone just yet.

In this day and age of big speedy forwards, and great two way players, why in the world would the Wings resign Holmstrom? He is only good for the powerplay, he is a liability on defense, & my grandma can skate faster than him. This was our chance to get younger, faster, bigger with Free agency. We signed Lidstrom, okay fine, still think we paid too much, but I'm okay with it. I'm not okay with the human pylon being resigned. We probably should have kept Leino instead of Holmstrom seeing as how he is playing right now. I'm also starting to think we should have kept Steve Yzerman & let Holland walk too, that was a bad move for the future Holland, you blew it!

THIS is why people like you and I are sitting at home/work discussing the Red Wings on the forums, and not working professionally for the organization.

For the record, I agree with absolutely nothing you've said.

In this day and age of big speedy forwards, and great two way players, why in the world would the Wings resign Holmstrom? He is only good for the powerplay, he is a liability on defense, & my grandma can skate faster than him. This was our chance to get younger, faster, bigger with Free agency. We signed Lidstrom, okay fine, still think we paid too much, but I'm okay with it. I'm not okay with the human pylon being resigned. We probably should have kept Leino instead of Holmstrom seeing as how he is playing right now. I'm also starting to think we should have kept Steve Yzerman & let Holland walk too, that was a bad move for the future Holland, you blew it!

Because without Holmstrom and Lidstrom, our power play would be nonexistent, and the power play scoring is a big percentage of Wings' scoring over the years.

So I just had a conversation with a local Flyers fan. He couldn't believe how cheaply the Wings re-signed Homer for and was bemoaning the hometown discounts the Wings consistently get. In his own words, he would have loved to seen Homer on the Flyers for twice what he signed for in Detroit & of course thought the ~$6.2m that Nick signed for was rediculously low too. It's just amazing how spoiled two decades of winning can make a fan base...

Why Holmstrom? Holmstrom steps it up when needed. He has always been a playoff scorer, he seems to up his game then. If he can still net 25 goals regular season and 5-10 playoffs, then $1.8M is WELL worth it. Why do you think Draper and Maltby stuck around so long? They stepped it up in the playoffs consistently, now they are replaceable, right now, Tomas Holmstrom is NOT replaceable, well not unless you are gonna replace him with Ryan Smyth or Ryan Geztlaf and that's not gonna happen for less than $2M... Plus 10,000 points for Holland AND Holmstrom for this deal! (not to mention he could've easily gotten $3M on the market, that saves us $1.2M in Cap Space to spend elsewhere)

Lids for $6.2M

Holmstrom for $1.8M

That's TWO 4 time Stanley Cup Champs, who are the BEST at what they do for $4M a piece! When you think that Lids could've gotten $10M and Holmstrom $3M, that's FREAKIN AMAZING!

Why Holmstrom? Holmstrom steps it up when needed. He has always been a playoff scorer, he seems to up his game then. If he can still net 25 goals regular season and 5-10 playoffs, then $1.8M is WELL worth it. Why do you think Draper and Maltby stuck around so long? They stepped it up in the playoffs consistently, now they are replaceable, right now, Tomas Holmstrom is NOT replaceable, well not unless you are gonna replace him with Ryan Smyth or Ryan Geztlaf and that's not gonna happen for less than $2M... Plus 10,000 points for Holland AND Holmstrom for this deal! (not to mention he could've easily gotten $3M on the market, that saves us $1.2M in Cap Space to spend elsewhere)

Lids for $6.2M

Holmstrom for $1.8M

That's TWO 4 time Stanley Cup Champs, who are the BEST at what they do for $4M a piece! When you think that Lids could've gotten $10M and Holmstrom $3M, that's FREAKIN AMAZING!

THIS...HOORAY!!! clap.gif

To be honest with the Holmstrom signing it would of been awesome if he was signed at 1.5 million $ but anything in between 1.5 - 2 million is a great deal. So having Holmstrom at 1.850 m $ is awesome.

Holmstrom might not be your sniper that most of LGW is wishing for (Kovalchuk) but his probably one of the most important key players on this team since his been here.

His a very crucial player on the PP for the Wings and for all those years that we've been ranked in the top PP's it was due to his presence.

He is getting older and he will contribute to this team with all he can, now will he improve from this past season chances are yes because he had an injury last season just like half of the team.

Worst case scenario if his play decreases then it's only a 2 year contract at 1.850 it can't hurt us.

I'm glad we kept Holmstrom.

Lids for $6.2M

Holmstrom for $1.8M

Not to derail, but no way Nick could get $10 anywhere but maybe the KHL. $8 maybe based on reputation, $7 almost certainly. Homer might have been able to draw $3 for a one year, but for 2 years that'd be a stretch.

Realistically, our savings are in the $1.5-2 million range. Which is still damn good and all the more reason not to exaggerate.

Lids for $6.2M

Holmstrom for $1.8M

While I agree with most of what you are saying, this isn't true. He's only picked up the pace from the regular season in the playoffs in 3 of his 13 years in Detroit and hasn't done so in the past 7 years straight.

Not to derail, but no way Nick could get $10 anywhere but maybe the KHL. $8 maybe based on reputation, $7 almost certainly. Homer might have been able to draw $3 for a one year, but for 2 years that'd be a stretch.

Realistically, our savings are in the $1.5-2 million range. Which is still damn good and all the more reason not to exaggerate.

Tiresome.

ahahahahaha at everyone involved here (in a good way) great to see everyone (almost) standing up for this team :thumbup:

I myself though have questioned Holmer coming back this year, and the only way I would have not have re-signed him was if we signed Afinogenov(who I thought was available as a rfa but now I dont know?) instead, and thats a gamble too!

As far as Lids and Holland? cant really argue having either of them around as long as they want to be here!