#41 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,370 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

This is true.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#42 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,250 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

Why Holmstrom? Holmstrom steps it up when needed. He has always been a playoff scorer, he seems to up his game then. If he can still net 25 goals regular season and 5-10 playoffs, then $1.8M is WELL worth it. Why do you think Draper and Maltby stuck around so long? They stepped it up in the playoffs consistently, now they are replaceable, right now, Tomas Holmstrom is NOT replaceable, well not unless you are gonna replace him with Ryan Smyth or Ryan Geztlaf and that's not gonna happen for less than $2M... Plus 10,000 points for Holland AND Holmstrom for this deal! (not to mention he could've easily gotten $3M on the market, that saves us $1.2M in Cap Space to spend elsewhere)

Lids for $6.2M
Holmstrom for $1.8M

That's TWO 4 time Stanley Cup Champs, who are the BEST at what they do for $4M a piece! When you think that Lids could've gotten $10M and Holmstrom $3M, that's FREAKIN AMAZING!

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#43 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:08 PM

I dare someone to start a "Why Lidstrom" thread now, based on the good vibes this OP has gotten here.

:lol:
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#44 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:09 PM

Why Holmstrom? Holmstrom steps it up when needed. He has always been a playoff scorer, he seems to up his game then. If he can still net 25 goals regular season and 5-10 playoffs, then $1.8M is WELL worth it. Why do you think Draper and Maltby stuck around so long? They stepped it up in the playoffs consistently, now they are replaceable, right now, Tomas Holmstrom is NOT replaceable, well not unless you are gonna replace him with Ryan Smyth or Ryan Geztlaf and that's not gonna happen for less than $2M... Plus 10,000 points for Holland AND Holmstrom for this deal! (not to mention he could've easily gotten $3M on the market, that saves us $1.2M in Cap Space to spend elsewhere)

Lids for $6.2M
Holmstrom for $1.8M

That's TWO 4 time Stanley Cup Champs, who are the BEST at what they do for $4M a piece! When you think that Lids could've gotten $10M and Holmstrom $3M, that's FREAKIN AMAZING!

THIS...HOORAY!!! Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#45 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

I dare someone to start a "Why Lidstrom" thread now, based on the good vibes this OP has gotten here.

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#46 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

To be honest with the Holmstrom signing it would of been awesome if he was signed at 1.5 million $ but anything in between 1.5 - 2 million is a great deal. So having Holmstrom at 1.850 m $ is awesome.

Holmstrom might not be your sniper that most of LGW is wishing for (Kovalchuk) but his probably one of the most important key players on this team since his been here.

His a very crucial player on the PP for the Wings and for all those years that we've been ranked in the top PP's it was due to his presence.

He is getting older and he will contribute to this team with all he can, now will he improve from this past season chances are yes because he had an injury last season just like half of the team.

Worst case scenario if his play decreases then it's only a 2 year contract at 1.850 it can't hurt us.

I'm glad we kept Holmstrom.

#47 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

Lids for $6.2M
Holmstrom for $1.8M

Not to derail, but no way Nick could get $10 anywhere but maybe the KHL. $8 maybe based on reputation, $7 almost certainly. Homer might have been able to draw $3 for a one year, but for 2 years that'd be a stretch.

Realistically, our savings are in the $1.5-2 million range. Which is still damn good and all the more reason not to exaggerate.

#48 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,412 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:20 PM

Lids for $6.2M
Holmstrom for $1.8M

While I agree with most of what you are saying, this isn't true. He's only picked up the pace from the regular season in the playoffs in 3 of his 13 years in Detroit and hasn't done so in the past 7 years straight.

#49 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:27 PM

Not to derail, but no way Nick could get $10 anywhere but maybe the KHL. $8 maybe based on reputation, $7 almost certainly. Homer might have been able to draw $3 for a one year, but for 2 years that'd be a stretch.

Realistically, our savings are in the $1.5-2 million range. Which is still damn good and all the more reason not to exaggerate.

Tiresome.
Rough as guts.

#50 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 01:29 PM

ahahahahaha at everyone involved here (in a good way) great to see everyone (almost) standing up for this team :thumbup:

I myself though have questioned Holmer coming back this year, and the only way I would have not have re-signed him was if we signed Afinogenov(who I thought was available as a rfa but now I dont know?) instead, and thats a gamble too!
As far as Lids and Holland? cant really argue having either of them around as long as they want to be here!
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#51 Puckpossession

Puckpossession

Rookie

• Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:27 PM

The Wings need forwards who can score, that was evident all year.

Is there something else you think Homer is doing? 25 goals, right?

FYI that 25 goals came from a player making $2.25M/ per. You can't predict what he will do next year, he is however another year older & can he get any slower? We could have used that money to get younger, bigger and faster.

Dude speed isn't all there is to hockey, speed isn't holmers game, and he has good skill around him, hes 1.8m player for a reason and he produces, if anything he shouldnt get worse because hes conistent on his job.

ahahahahaha at everyone involved here (in a good way) great to see everyone (almost) standing up for this team :thumbup:

I myself though have questioned Holmer coming back this year, and the only way I would have not have re-signed him was if we signed Afinogenov(who I thought was available as a rfa but now I dont know?) instead, and thats a gamble too!
As far as Lids and Holland? cant really argue having either of them around as long as they want to be here!

lol you would take afiniganov on OUR team instead of holmstrom, our team has better playmakers than him, and not enough holmers :P

#52 StayClassy

StayClassy

Babcock's Doormat

• Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

Never said he was a free agent, was just comparing salaries to what he made last year, I have no idea what his next contract will be & neither do you, it's all speculation at this point. Still does not debunk my point that money could be spent more wisely & better talent generated.

Ya guys, why doesn't Holland just get Stamkos?! He had 51! goals last season, and is making .875mil a year! Surely the added offense would help the team right?

"Let him live."

#53 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 02:55 PM

Ya guys, why doesn't Holland just get Stamkos?! He had 51! goals last season, and is making .875mil a year! Surely the added offense would help the team right?

Pssh .875 is a lot for someone who can only score 51 goals. I mean, he's technically worth it, but he'll have to take a Red Wings' discount in order to show his loyalty.

#54 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

I would expect nothing less from someone with Columbus roots. Not a possibilty man. Pipe dreams are fun but this is a looooong shot. Assuming Stevie didn't go to Tampa to troll us some awesome deals. Posted Image

#55 redwingcapt

redwingcapt

redwingcapt

• PipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:45 PM

jroach17, youre an idiot. if didny notice, when homer is healthy, he is one of our best fore checkers. plus 25 plus goals and not counting all the ones he creates by sitting in front of other teams goalies... he should get paid more on any other team but this is Detroit and his home, so he takes less than he deserves
To whom much is given, much is expected

#56 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

Love when guys prove that dedication to wearing the winged wheel and take less money. Its the Red Wing way! Posted Image

#57 Stinkyness

Stinkyness

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 03:58 PM

Holmstrom is a warrior. The Demolition Man. And he is one of the keys to Detroit's success over the years. There is no one better at what he does. NO ONE>>ANYWHERE.
Period. He deserves to retire a Wing.

#58 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 04:40 PM

Because he's the mother****** Demolition Man...

#59 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 05:02 PM

In this day and age of big speedy forwards, and great two way players, why in the world would the Wings resign Holmstrom? He is only good for the powerplay, he is a liability on defense, & my grandma can skate faster than him. This was our chance to get younger, faster, bigger with Free agency. We signed Lidstrom, okay fine, still think we paid too much, but I'm okay with it. I'm not okay with the human pylon being resigned. We probably should have kept Leino instead of Holmstrom seeing as how he is playing right now. I'm also starting to think we should have kept Steve Yzerman & let Holland walk too, that was a bad move for the future Holland, you blew it!

I have read a lot of crap on this board. But you take the cake here.

When you have the best owners in hockey, Jim Nill, Holland, the scouting and support staff this team as assembled over the years and you win four Cups in 11 years, make the playoffs every year. Other teams take notice. The staff of this team has been dissected over the years, because it's well run by smart people! People who look at the big picture. Teams are feasting on our sloppy seconds and doing really good. One of the great things this organization does for the sport of hockey is establish, groom, and promote their people. And if they ever feel like they want to leave, their time spent here will always be the highlight of their careers. And they will go on to be successful wherever they may go.

BTW, Leino was not interested in learning the hardest system in hockey. There was never an issue with his talent, but his ability to conform. We all know Holmstrom has lost a step or two in the last 4-5 years. But Holmstrom has always worked his ass off, scoring the hardest goals, and paying the price nightly. And maybe your grandma can skate faster than him. But can your grandma tip a puck or take 5 or more crosschecks a night?
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#60 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 06:29 PM

Is that a record?

Posted Image