• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 henrik40

henrik40

Lebda Sucks

• PipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:42 PM

I was 12 years old and I was out camping when this happened. Got home and read it in the newspaper and I thought it was no big deal. The severity of it didn't hit me until they gave him the standing ovation in Washington. I think that was when I realized he would't ever play again.

I don't know if this will be considered blasphemy or heresy, but as a defenseman I think Vladdy was better than Lidstrom. Lidstrom had the better all around game, but Vladdy was the man. He wasn't really that big either, but he could sure dish out the punishment.

I was too young to really realize how good both of them were at that point in their careers. However, I know several people who would 100% agree with you. I believe Vladdy was the runner up for the Norris that year too.

#22 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

I was 13 when this happened and it was tragic. I was forced into liking hockey when I was 9 by my older cousins (who lived in northern michigan) when I lived in Chicago. Me and my whole family were baseball fans and I would go to a Cubbies game every week and my hockey cousins thought I should start liking a new sport lol. The Hawks were my first "team", but the TV and coverage was poor.

I moved to Traverse City the following year in 94'. My cousins forced me to watch every Wings game that year and I fell in love with them lol. Then after that we had the cup loss and then the first cup win and everything tragic afterwards.

Vladdy was one of the first D-Men I ever saw play the game and I thought that is how all D-Men were suppose to play. The forwards scored the goals with finesse and the D-Men hit and instilled fear in all the forwards.

I always asked my cousins why Murphy and Lidstrom never hit like that and they said they were Swedish lol.

Vladdy will always be my first favorite D-Man!
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#23 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:50 PM

My favorite hockey player, ever. Hockey is 10% of the game it was since it lost him.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#24 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 08:54 PM

Vladdy was a man amongst men in an era when men, not a bunch of whiney, diving ballerinas, played hockey.

Remembering Vlad only reminds me how much the league sucks now compared to then.

Edited by Broken 16, 07 June 2010 - 08:55 PM.

#25 soonboomer

soonboomer

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:10 PM

Who knows how many Cups the Wings would have if he didn't get in that crash.

Interesting question. The cup winners in the next three seasons, Dallas, NJ and Colorado, all had strong goaltending. All would have been formidable opponents.

#26 WizardOfOz30

WizardOfOz30

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,726 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

I miss him too, he was a great player. I remember how angry I was when I found out about that stupid limo driver, still am because he's probably out there doing whatever he wants and Vladdy is not the person he was back then.

I get emotional every time they show him at a game, it's so good to see how well he is doing.

Posted Image

Thanks Offsides

"If I could sum up my career in Detroit, I was a perfect goalie for the team at the perfect time. I just wanted to be a Red Wing, that's it." Chris Osgood, July 19, 2011

#27 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:05 AM

Seeing Stevie hand Vlady the cup while he's in the wheel chair still gives me chills.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#28 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:14 AM

My avatar since I joined the site pretty much says it all. His hip checks were awesome and he was a beast. Always been one of my favorite D men and I even named my truck after him.

Great clip, thanks for the awesome thread.

:clap:

Cheers Vladdy!

#29 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

I hope to GOD that god damn tree was cut down !!!!

#30 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,196 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:48 PM

Won't ever forget this day... I was12 years old and thinking that they all died, including Stevie Y. The details were so sketchy when it first happened. We were just heart broken to see Vladinator reduced to this, but winning the following year was probably my favorite Cup just because of Vladi getting to hoist right after Stevie. We love you Vladi and Sergei M.

Forever Red Wings. Posted Image

yeah, i remember that day too and i was the same age i think. that was the worst s*** ever.
imagine this...:

lidstrom - konstatinov
fischer - chelios
kronwall - stuart

that's nuts!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#31 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#32 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:28 PM

I want a new Vladdy...

:(

#33 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:41 PM

I have goosebumps. What a horrid accident.
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#34 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,527 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Vladdy was a man amongst men in an era when men, not a bunch of whiney, diving ballerinas, played hockey.

Remembering Vlad only reminds me how much the league sucks now compared to then.

Just wish we could've seen Vladdy smash poor Cindy at center ice.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#35 Yzermania19

Yzermania19

Mr. General Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:12 PM

I hope to GOD that god damn tree was cut down !!!!

It wasn't cut down, but it's gone - a couple of years after the accident it was struck by lightning and what was left of it was removed. I used to drive through that intersection every day on my way to and from work and I remember the eerie feeling I'd get seeing that tree. I was never so glad to see a tree hit by lightning!
Posted Image
"Talk show...talk show...talk show...oooh! Curling!"

#36 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

Just wish we could've seen Vladdy smash poor Cindy at center ice.

Oh man... It would have been ugly. At the height of Eric Lindros' career... he was afraid of Vladdy. I remember interviews with Lindros where he would describe Vladdy as a "red blur in the neutral zone". The guy had enough skill to be a seamless cog in the Russian 5 and was a freak of nature throwback. He was one of a kind and his likes may never again be seen in the NHL.

#37 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

Pound for Pound there is, was and will never be another Vladdy. Period. Kronwall hits like a girl compared to Vladdy. And that's a compliment to Kronwall, I am sure he'd accept it. I would hate to see the "NEW" NHL officiating pick him apart, because you know they would!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#38 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:14 PM

Pound for Pound there is, was and will never be another Vladdy. Period. Kronwall hits like a girl compared to Vladdy. And that's a compliment to Kronwall, I am sure he'd accept it. I would hate to see the "NEW" NHL officiating pick him apart, because you know they would!

This.

He would get reputation calls like Holmstrom. Guaranteed.

Edited by Broken 16, 08 June 2010 - 11:14 PM.

#39 miller76

miller76

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,718 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:16 PM

This.

He would get reputation calls like Holmstrom. Guaranteed.

absolutely guaranteed.
lighten up people, it's the internet!

#40 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:31 AM

absolutely guaranteed.

Vladdy, Fischer, and Grigs all never having their accidents? Would be nice.

Just an FYI to those making "what would our defense look like" combinations...

Krupp, Hatcher, and Chelios would never have been acquired. Likely not Stuart either. Rafalski replaced Murphy, who replaced Fetisov.

So our defense might be...

Lidstrom/Rafalski
Konstantinov/Fischer
Kronwall/???

That 6th spot might be Anders Eriksson, it might be Jonathan Ericsson, it might be Kyle Quincey or Derek Meech.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."