• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Icesurfer

Bertuzzi offered 2 year deal

Rate this topic

I don't blame Bertuzzi for leaving so much as i do Brian Burke for being his medelling little self. (A man can't turn down that money and that term.)

Bert could have had a satisfying and redeaming end to his career; a stable home with the Wings for his last five years, complete with a lap around The Igloo with The Stanley Cup. But Burke had to act as if he was showing some loyalty by throwing ridiculous $ at Bert that he knew would not ultimately stick, ultimately resulting in a one way ticket to the hinterlands of Calgary.

Bertuzzi is definitely a bargain at this price, but you have to realize he cannot bang and wreck like he used to. You young guys have no idea what a bad back does to a man. Especially a big man like him. That guy has to summon courage and strength from the Gods just to get out of bed in the morning after a game. Obviously it has reached the point where it's almost unbearable or he would not have implied that it's not worth the pain to look for a new team and start over again, he'd rather just hang up the skates. The thought of putting himself through all that s*** just to make $1.5m for a year in Columbus then $1.2m in Toronto or something just isn't worth it.

I really hope he gets to Hoist in The Winged Wheel.

Guest mindfly

This news makes me very happy!

What exactly about this makes you very happy?

Guest Lidstromboli

Meech wasn't too bad this year. if he took league min i wouldn't be too bothered i guess..

Meech wasn't too bad this year. if he took league min i wouldn't be too bothered i guess..

It's just the logjam it creates... I don't think we can reasonably carry 8 defenseman and I'm pretty sure Meech will file for arbitration, as he wants to play, which will then lead to him ultimately being traded, or waived after qualified...

Guest Lidstromboli

It's just the logjam it creates... I don't think we can reasonably carry 8 defenseman and I'm pretty sure Meech will file for arbitration, as he wants to play, which will then lead to him ultimately being traded, or waived after qualified...

yeah that's true

+1,000,000,000

We need Lilja. Team played better D with him on the ice, simple as that.

Absolutely. I used to be pretty hard on him, then I saw how bad our PK was without him last year and part of this year. He does a lot of things that go unnoticed. I really hope he's back.

As for Bert, I don't get it. I wasn't impressed with him in '07, he really didn't show that much this year. He's a big body in front of the net, which is good, but aside from that he doesn't do much. He doesn't really fit the Wings speedy, two way player system.

busted the bank what are you talking about. He didnt even get a four mill offer. We didnt have the cap space end of story.

Actually I think it was exactly $4 mil per year, but that was the cap hit. It was one of those big contracts, where he would get around $6-7 per year for the first so many years and it would decrease later on.

busted the bank what are you talking about. He didnt even get a four mill offer. We didnt have the cap space end of story.

Well, that was cap hit, it was heavily front loaded. But ironically your conclusions says my point. He said he was staying, we offered him everything we possibly could and more and he turned us down for what he knew when he said he was staying. Is Bert staying? I'll believe it when he signs.

What exactly about this makes you very happy?

Dontcha know? Like, he's just so totally fine! I mean, he's just uber-hot! Why else would I like him? Those tatts just make me, like, swoon...ya know?

:rolleyes:

I've liked him as a player since his Vancouver days. I was happy with his first stint with the Wings, and hated to see him leave then. His game's changed, but I still think he is, and will be, a valuable piece to the Wings puzzle.

Guest Crymson

Because Holland said he might be looking for a 6th defenseman and Exelby is proably the best free agent available in the price range.

He's also bar-none one of the worst offensive and puck-moving defensemen in the league. He has absolutely no offensive upside whatsoever.