• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:02 PM

He's not your most conventional Red Wing, but if the stated price is right, welcome back!

#42 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:11 PM

He's not your most conventional Red Wing, but if the stated price is right, welcome back!

What is a conventional Red Wing?

#43 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

What is a conventional Red Wing?

He has bowed legs and trusts his eyes to Dr. Rahmani.

#44 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,922 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

Keep Tuzzi and Lilja.

Byebye Lebda.

Meech can stay or go. I'm neutral.

Hope to see Eaves and/or Miller stay, but not sure it will be possible to keep both.

Beyond that, I trust mine team to Doctor Holland.

#45 djdan

djdan

Prospect

• 34 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:47 PM

good news bertuzzi my favorite player.... now exelby please

#46 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:25 PM

i still don't get why people want exelby :huh:

Posted Image

#47 NomadFromKazoo

NomadFromKazoo

Kaz

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

busted the bank what are you talking about. He didnt even get a four mill offer. We didnt have the cap space end of story.

Well, that was cap hit, it was heavily front loaded. But ironically your conclusions says my point. He said he was staying, we offered him everything we possibly could and more and he turned us down for what he knew when he said he was staying. Is Bert staying? I'll believe it when he signs.
Frank Herbert: Fear is the mind-killer

Groucho Marx: Sincerity is the key to success. If you can fake that, you've got it made

George Patton: If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking

Doctor Who: Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink

#48 ChelisChick

ChelisChick

Cheli's Personal Masseur

• Gold Booster
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

What exactly about this makes you very happy?

Dontcha know? Like, he's just so totally fine! I mean, he's just uber-hot! Why else would I like him? Those tatts just make me, like, swoon...ya know?

:rolleyes:

I've liked him as a player since his Vancouver days. I was happy with his first stint with the Wings, and hated to see him leave then. His game's changed, but I still think he is, and will be, a valuable piece to the Wings puzzle.

#49 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:23 PM

Because Holland said he might be looking for a 6th defenseman and Exelby is proably the best free agent available in the price range.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#50 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:42 PM

Because Holland said he might be looking for a 6th defenseman and Exelby is proably the best free agent available in the price range.

He's also bar-none one of the worst offensive and puck-moving defensemen in the league. He has absolutely no offensive upside whatsoever.

#51 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

For as much as I love what Bertuzzi brings... I am perplexed why his camp isn't all over this offer.

#52 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

For as much as I love what Bertuzzi brings... I am perplexed why his camp isn't all over this offer.

HIs agent is "playing hardball"

"If one takes the reports from the Detroit News's Chris McCosky and MLive.com's own Ansar Khan into account, it sounds like Bertuzzi's agent, Pat Morris, is playing hardball, asking for a "market value"-sized contract for a player who can put up 20 goals and 40-50 points."

#53 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:41 AM

He's also bar-none one of the worst offensive and puck-moving defensemen in the league. He has absolutely no offensive upside whatsoever.

Awesome, sounds like the perfect 6th defensemen to me. We pay Lidstrom and Rafalski $12 million+ to be soft and use their brains, it'd be nice to have a guy with a different purpose.

#54 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:12 AM

HIs agent is "playing hardball"

"If one takes the reports from the Detroit News's Chris McCosky and MLive.com's own Ansar Khan into account, it sounds like Bertuzzi's agent, Pat Morris, is playing hardball, asking for a "market value"-sized contract for a player who can put up 20 goals and 40-50 points."

I don't think a man whom states it's red wings or retire should have the right to play hardball.
My stance doesn't change, let the man retire.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#55 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 04:46 AM

Kinda weak to retire at 35 years old in this day and age, though...

#56 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:00 AM

He's average offensively for a 6th defenseman and a way over average hitter, fighter and crease clearer. You know the three things you really look for in a 6th guy and the things Lilja did before the injury.

Oh yeah I forgot we gotta replace Lilja, so we need to replace his amazing offensive ability <_<

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#57 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 06:02 AM

Actually I think it was exactly $4 mil per year, but that was the cap hit. It was one of those big contracts, where he would get around $6-7 per year for the first so many years and it would decrease later on.

Exactly it was a cap hit of 4 million so god knows how long of a contract that was going to be?

Minimum a 8-10 years contract with very low $$$ in the last years.

#58 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

Seriously? as a 6th d-man at 1.5 or less, you don't understand why we would want that?

His role wouldn't be to move the puck up the ice and QB the play, it would be to be bruising, block shots and be defensively responsible... 6th dman people...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#59 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

He's average offensively for a 6th defenseman and a way over average hitter, fighter and crease clearer. You know the three things you really look for in a 6th guy and the things Lilja did before the injury.

Exelby is:
extremely slow
poor positionally
offensively handicapped
nowhere near as good a hitter post-concussion
a regular healthy scratch on terrible teams
better off in the penalty or press box than on the ice

All that for a cool 1.4 mil.

Ken Holland isn't going to sign a pylon with limited defensive abilities and zero offensive upside just because he can "hit things." Lilja may not fight anymore or go out of position to impress people who want tons of big hits, but he takes limited risks, helps the PK, and tends to make the kids he plays with a lot better.

Edited by Lidstromboli, 09 June 2010 - 01:48 PM.

Posted Image

#60 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 02:01 PM

Exelby is:
extremely slow
poor positionally
offensively handicapped
nowhere near as good a hitter post-concussion
a regular healthy scratch on terrible teams
better off in the penalty or press box than on the ice

All that for a cool 1.4 mil.

Ken Holland isn't going to sign a pylon with limited defensive abilities and zero offensive upside just because he can "hit things." Lilja may not fight anymore or go out of position to impress people who want tons of big hits, but he takes limited risks, helps the PK, and tends to make the kids he plays with a lot better.

Exelby is no slower then Lilja, not bad positionally and definitley WAY better then Lilja when he first came here, still a huge hitter, not a regular healthy scratch hardly at all, he's younger then Lilja and much better then when Lilja came here. He's also twice as tough as Lilja ever was.

Oh and he's not going to be very pricy at all. Youre acting like we're replacing Lidstrom with Exelby. He doesn't score, neither does Lilja, but he hits like a truck and fights. He might be a little worst positionally now but he is definitely much better then when Lilly came here and he can still be taught since he is only 28.

Whats wrong with that?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24