• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HankthaTank

Trade Cleary?

Rate this topic

192 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Impossible to decide whether or not he should be traded if you don't include WHO HE WOULD BE TRADED FOR. That's the thing about trades... is they go both ways.

Agreed but check the last few days of threads. I just hear "trade Cleary" without saying whom would be involved. Just wanted the overall opinion really.

EDIT: Burish or Ladd... no thanks. Ladd is nothing special really. Has been a healthy scratch this playoffs too so Chicago can't even find his use. Pass.

ladd was injured. and i'll take his 20 goal seasons on the wings. and the kid can hit hard which is something that everyone on here wants and holland is looking for.

ladd was injured. and i'll take his 20 goal seasons on the wings. and the kid can hit hard which is something that everyone on here wants and holland is looking for.

So can Cleary... they're pretty comparable players to be honest, but I'd still give a slight edge to Cleary for overall ability... the difference here is Ladd is not already a Wing... there's a lot to be said about chemistry and Cleary pretty much bleeds Red and White since he got here and plays like it... he is a BIG part of that locker room...

If we're looking for healthy scratches on the Hawks to fill a third/fourth line role here, I'll take Troy Brouwer over Cleary. I guess Cleary is this year's LGW sacred cow though, so good for him he's got an NTC.

He's the model of a consistent regular season player, but he is sooo inconsistent in the playoffs it hurts. He does good, he does bad, he does good, and then he does bad.

You know exactly what you're going to get from him: injury prone, ~15 goals, ~40 points, 60-75 games, solid defense, and finish somewhere around even +/-.

I said trade him and I don't feel bad about it. I was decently happy with the dollare amount he was given, but the NTC killed me. I'm in the same boat with Stuart as well. If he stays a Wing I'll be happy but not thrilled, if they get traded somehow I won't be too disappointed.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Trust me people, this is sheerly hypothetical.

Really?!?! I thought you were Ken Holland & Daniel Cleary rolled into one. Had me worried for a moment.

As to the yes people, I'm guessing most don't realize he played injured through most of the season.

If we're looking for healthy scratches on the Hawks to fill a third/fourth line role here, I'll take Troy Brouwer over Cleary. I guess Cleary is this year's LGW sacred cow though, so good for him he's got an NTC.

i would take brouwer over any free agent out there, even if throwing an offer sheet cost the wings a pick or 2. i didn't lump him in because he's RFA as opposed to UFA. i'm not sure which one ladd is, but either would be a good pick up. honestly, if we could keep cleary and add ladd or brouwer to a line with him, that would be badass. but then miller would probably lose his spot on the team.

but of them all, i'd take brouwer. i watched him when he was teammates with dustin boyd on the moose jaw warriors, and he was tough back then and could put the puck in the net.

Really?!?! I thought you were Ken Holland & Daniel Cleary rolled into one. Had me worried for a moment.

hehe.gif You post like a troll and a Wings fan rolled into one. It sure is silly! Double threat guy!

2nd statement made yes. Everyone has definitely forgotten about the injuries for some odd reason.

Edited by HankthaTank

By all accounts Clears is one of the hardest working players on the team, a great locker room guy, doesn't ***** & moan about his role on the team no matter what's being asked of him on a game-to-game basis, has proven what a warrior he is by playing through a nasty groin injury in the playoffs last year & knee injuries this season, has a fair amount of skill while not being afraid of going into the ugly areas of the ice, and practically has a winged wheel tattooed on his chest after the opportunity the Wings organization gave him when about every other team in the NHL considered him a wash out... Sure, let's go ahead & trade him. :rolleyes:

OK never say never, but in my opinion the Wings wouldn't get a player back with nearly the heart & determination they get from Clears.

Guest Heaten

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary line was a damn good line. That line dominated.

That said, I must say I am excited to see Franze-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi line again. I want to know if that dominance they displayed against the Sharks was a fluke or if that was for real.

This thread makes me happy. I didn't realize how much love there was for Clears.

Was definitely losing faith in it seeing all the trade Cleary posts lately. Just didn't get it. The guy was born to wear the winged wheel. Still some interesting answers to the "yes" votes though.

Like anyone else, pretty much, it would depend on what we could get in return.

For example: Assuming Bert does in fact come back, if we could trade Cleary for a decent draft pick, then replace him with someone like Miller or a similar, cheap FA, then combine the savings with whatever we have left, we might be able to bring in a good defenseman like Michalek, Sutton, Mitchell, or Hamhuis.

I wouldn't hate something like this:

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / * Darren Helm ($0.950m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.800m)

* Eric Nystrom ($0.850m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.950m) / * Drew Miller ($0.800m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)

* Zbynek Michalek ($3.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) / Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 23; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $58.305m; CAP ROOM: $0.495m BONUSES: $0.000m

If it means getting sutton and a decent pick, yes. Re-sign Eaves and hope he is the next Cleary, because he has that potential.

What I really want to know is who is responsible for first putting Cleary on the Wings radar? He is argueably the best current Wing not supplied by Håkan Andersson.

It was one of the players

Edited by jollymania

Like anyone else, pretty much, it would depend on what we could get in return.

For example: Assuming Bert does in fact come back, if we could trade Cleary for a decent draft pick, then replace him with someone like Miller or a similar, cheap FA, then combine the savings with whatever we have left, we might be able to bring in a good defenseman like Michalek, Sutton, Mitchell, or Hamhuis.

Cleary has a NTC and he's really committed to making up for this past season. I think he knows just as well as anyone that he didn't earn his contract. The Red Wings as an organization are very loyal and I can't see them shipping him off unless he continues his poor play 1/3 into next season. That being said, out of those four defenders listed:

Michalek is one of the better shot blockers in the whole league, and I think there's no way that Phoenix let's him get away, even with their self-imposed cap.

Sutton will command big bucks and someone will likely give it to him. He's in the Top 10 for most hits and he's 2nd overall in blocked shots. Making 3.5 last year I think he'd want at least that much again.

Mitchell also made 3.5 last season, but I see him as much more likely to take a pay-cut. His season was plagued by injury and he didn't have the best year overall so who knows.

Hamhuis I think would be the most likely candidate to land in Detroit. He had a pretty good season and made 2.5 last year. The only issue I could see is that he's a young guy and he might want the most money he can while he's still young.

Some guys I think might be a little more likely to come to Detroit would be Brookbank, Exelby or Wallin. Aside from Wallin the numbers aren't overly impressive, but what the team is looking for here is a steady #5-6 guy for a lower cap hit. I just think the guys mentioned above would command too much money.

What I really want to know is who is responsible for first putting Cleary on the Wings radar? He is argueably the best current Wing not supplied by Håkan Andersson.

Wasn't it Cheli who was responsible for that? From what I recall, Dan reached out to him about the trainer he used & getting more committed to working on his fitness level to prove to teams he could stick in the NHL or something to that effect.

Trust me people, this is sheerly hypothetical.

so you're saying this poll won't have any effect whatsoever on the Wings actual decisions?

Holy hell people he was injured all season... He is a beast when he is healthy and next season he will prove it to you, because he is LOYAL and he works his ass off. All I ever hear on this board is how we need more grit, and we need scorers who can fight, and Dan Cleary is one of those guys. He is the best fighter on our team, no contest, and he can hit like a locomotive when he wants to. Potential to score 20-30 goals per year, the skills to play on ANY line in ANY situation, and the ability to whoop the f*** out of BRAD MAY - the worthless turd who we brought in to start a bunch of boring staged fights which he mostly LOST. So many people want Carcillo, yet Cleary could manhandle him, is a better scorer, great on the PK, and won't take nearly as many stupid penalties. Oh and he also grows a mean beard while Carcillo can't even grow Crosby fuzz... Cleary is the man and I can't believe the Bertuzzi thread was derailed by this nonsense only to see another thread about it today.

Cleary has a NTC and he's really committed to making up for this past season. I think he knows just as well as anyone that he didn't earn his contract. The Red Wings as an organization are very loyal and I can't see them shipping him off unless he continues his poor play 1/3 into next season. That being said, out of those four defenders listed:

Michalek is one of the better shot blockers in the whole league, and I think there's no way that Phoenix let's him get away, even with their self-imposed cap.

Sutton will command big bucks and someone will likely give it to him. He's in the Top 10 for most hits and he's 2nd overall in blocked shots. Making 3.5 last year I think he'd want at least that much again.

Mitchell also made 3.5 last season, but I see him as much more likely to take a pay-cut. His season was plagued by injury and he didn't have the best year overall so who knows.

Hamhuis I think would be the most likely candidate to land in Detroit. He had a pretty good season and made 2.5 last year. The only issue I could see is that he's a young guy and he might want the most money he can while he's still young.

Some guys I think might be a little more likely to come to Detroit would be Brookbank, Exelby or Wallin. Aside from Wallin the numbers aren't overly impressive, but what the team is looking for here is a steady #5-6 guy for a lower cap hit. I just think the guys mentioned above would command too much money.

I was giving an example of a situation wherein I would be willing to trade Cleary, not making a suggestion of something I think is feasible. But I guess that's what you get when you answer a silly hypothetical question.