82 replies to this topic

#21 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:37 PM

*facepalm* my friend, no....

Adam Burish or Ben Eager are nothing near the player Cleary is. These hands of stone are 1 year removed from a 9 goal playoff and the injury was the knee. Fail but thanks for the input.

i never mentioned ben eager...but i did throw andrew ladd in there. and for the same price tag, i'd definately take ladd.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:41 PM

i never mentioned ben eager...but i did throw andrew ladd in there. and for the same price tag, i'd definately take ladd.

EDIT: Burish or Ladd... no thanks. Ladd is nothing special really. Has been a healthy scratch this playoffs too so Chicago can't even find his use. Pass.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

EDIT: Burish or Ladd... no thanks. Ladd is nothing special really. Has been a healthy scratch this playoffs too so Chicago can't even find his use. Pass.

Don't get me wrong, I strongly disagree with the deez on his general thought, but Ladd is a quality hockey player and would probably fit in here well... but I'd still rather have Cleary...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#24 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Don't get me wrong, I strongly disagree with the deez on his general thought, but Ladd is a quality hockey player and would probably fit in here well... but I'd still rather have Cleary...

I hear ya man. Ladd isn't as bad as we may think. But replacing Cleary is the argument here and as you stated, no thanks. I should say I will take Ladd with Cleary still. How about that?

#25 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,228 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Impossible to decide whether or not he should be traded if you don't include WHO HE WOULD BE TRADED FOR. That's the thing about trades... is they go both ways.
Posted Image

#26 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Impossible to decide whether or not he should be traded if you don't include WHO HE WOULD BE TRADED FOR. That's the thing about trades... is they go both ways.

Agreed but check the last few days of threads. I just hear "trade Cleary" without saying whom would be involved. Just wanted the overall opinion really.

#27 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

ladd was injured. and i'll take his 20 goal seasons on the wings. and the kid can hit hard which is something that everyone on here wants and holland is looking for.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#28 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

ladd was injured. and i'll take his 20 goal seasons on the wings. and the kid can hit hard which is something that everyone on here wants and holland is looking for.

So can Cleary... they're pretty comparable players to be honest, but I'd still give a slight edge to Cleary for overall ability... the difference here is Ladd is not already a Wing... there's a lot to be said about chemistry and Cleary pretty much bleeds Red and White since he got here and plays like it... he is a BIG part of that locker room...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#29 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:06 PM

If we're looking for healthy scratches on the Hawks to fill a third/fourth line role here, I'll take Troy Brouwer over Cleary. I guess Cleary is this year's LGW sacred cow though, so good for him he's got an NTC.

#30 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:15 PM

He's the model of a consistent regular season player, but he is sooo inconsistent in the playoffs it hurts. He does good, he does bad, he does good, and then he does bad.

You know exactly what you're going to get from him: injury prone, ~15 goals, ~40 points, 60-75 games, solid defense, and finish somewhere around even +/-.

I said trade him and I don't feel bad about it. I was decently happy with the dollare amount he was given, but the NTC killed me. I'm in the same boat with Stuart as well. If he stays a Wing I'll be happy but not thrilled, if they get traded somehow I won't be too disappointed.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#31 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:34 PM

If we could get a good player in return sure.

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#32 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,625 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 01:48 PM

Only if a consistently good player comes back. Otherwise, no.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#33 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:07 PM

I wish we could keep him, but there's only a few untradeable players on this team, imo.

So it all depends on the deal as others have stated.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 08 June 2010 - 02:07 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#34 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

I like Cleary but what would you get for him?

#35 IceMunkee

IceMunkee

Gangster-ish

• HoF Booster
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:15 PM

What you would get for Cleary via trade is far removed from the player that Clear Bear has been and is. It would not be worth it. Keep him.
www.thedscene.com
@Gay4Datsyuk
Check It Out!

#36 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

Trust me people, this is sheerly hypothetical.

Really?!?! I thought you were Ken Holland & Daniel Cleary rolled into one. Had me worried for a moment.

As to the yes people, I'm guessing most don't realize he played injured through most of the season.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

If we're looking for healthy scratches on the Hawks to fill a third/fourth line role here, I'll take Troy Brouwer over Cleary. I guess Cleary is this year's LGW sacred cow though, so good for him he's got an NTC.

i would take brouwer over any free agent out there, even if throwing an offer sheet cost the wings a pick or 2. i didn't lump him in because he's RFA as opposed to UFA. i'm not sure which one ladd is, but either would be a good pick up. honestly, if we could keep cleary and add ladd or brouwer to a line with him, that would be badass. but then miller would probably lose his spot on the team.

but of them all, i'd take brouwer. i watched him when he was teammates with dustin boyd on the moose jaw warriors, and he was tough back then and could put the puck in the net.

#38 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

Really?!?! I thought you were Ken Holland & Daniel Cleary rolled into one. Had me worried for a moment.

Posted Image You post like a troll and a Wings fan rolled into one. It sure is silly! Double threat guy!

2nd statement made yes. Everyone has definitely forgotten about the injuries for some odd reason.

Edited by HankthaTank, 08 June 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#39 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:14 PM

By all accounts Clears is one of the hardest working players on the team, a great locker room guy, doesn't ***** & moan about his role on the team no matter what's being asked of him on a game-to-game basis, has proven what a warrior he is by playing through a nasty groin injury in the playoffs last year & knee injuries this season, has a fair amount of skill while not being afraid of going into the ugly areas of the ice, and practically has a winged wheel tattooed on his chest after the opportunity the Wings organization gave him when about every other team in the NHL considered him a wash out... Sure, let's go ahead & trade him. :rolleyes:

OK never say never, but in my opinion the Wings wouldn't get a player back with nearly the heart & determination they get from Clears.

#40 MCleveland89

MCleveland89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

This thread makes me happy. I didn't realize how much love there was for Clears.