• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#41 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:21 PM

Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary line was a damn good line. That line dominated.

That said, I must say I am excited to see Franze-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi line again. I want to know if that dominance they displayed against the Sharks was a fluke or if that was for real.

#42 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:23 PM

This thread makes me happy. I didn't realize how much love there was for Clears.

Was definitely losing faith in it seeing all the trade Cleary posts lately. Just didn't get it. The guy was born to wear the winged wheel. Still some interesting answers to the "yes" votes though.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#43 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 03:38 PM

Like anyone else, pretty much, it would depend on what we could get in return.

For example: Assuming Bert does in fact come back, if we could trade Cleary for a decent draft pick, then replace him with someone like Miller or a similar, cheap FA, then combine the savings with whatever we have left, we might be able to bring in a good defenseman like Michalek, Sutton, Mitchell, or Hamhuis.

I wouldn't hate something like this:
FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)
Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.500m) / * Darren Helm ($0.950m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.800m)
* Eric Nystrom ($0.850m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.950m) / * Drew Miller ($0.800m)
Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)
DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Brad Stuart ($3.750m)
* Zbynek Michalek ($3.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)
Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) / Chris Osgood ($1.417m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 23; CAP:$58.8m; PAYROLL: $58.305m; CAP ROOM: $0.495m BONUSES: $0.000m

#44 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

What I really want to know is who is responsible for first putting Cleary on the Wings radar? He is argueably the best current Wing not supplied by Håkan Andersson.

#45 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 05:34 PM

If it means getting sutton and a decent pick, yes. Re-sign Eaves and hope he is the next Cleary, because he has that potential.

What I really want to know is who is responsible for first putting Cleary on the Wings radar? He is argueably the best current Wing not supplied by Håkan Andersson.

It was one of the players

Edited by jollymania, 08 June 2010 - 05:36 PM.

"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#46 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 06:05 PM

Like anyone else, pretty much, it would depend on what we could get in return.

For example: Assuming Bert does in fact come back, if we could trade Cleary for a decent draft pick, then replace him with someone like Miller or a similar, cheap FA, then combine the savings with whatever we have left, we might be able to bring in a good defenseman like Michalek, Sutton, Mitchell, or Hamhuis.

Cleary has a NTC and he's really committed to making up for this past season. I think he knows just as well as anyone that he didn't earn his contract. The Red Wings as an organization are very loyal and I can't see them shipping him off unless he continues his poor play 1/3 into next season. That being said, out of those four defenders listed:

Michalek is one of the better shot blockers in the whole league, and I think there's no way that Phoenix let's him get away, even with their self-imposed cap.

Sutton will command big bucks and someone will likely give it to him. He's in the Top 10 for most hits and he's 2nd overall in blocked shots. Making 3.5 last year I think he'd want at least that much again.

Mitchell also made 3.5 last season, but I see him as much more likely to take a pay-cut. His season was plagued by injury and he didn't have the best year overall so who knows.

Hamhuis I think would be the most likely candidate to land in Detroit. He had a pretty good season and made 2.5 last year. The only issue I could see is that he's a young guy and he might want the most money he can while he's still young.

Some guys I think might be a little more likely to come to Detroit would be Brookbank, Exelby or Wallin. Aside from Wallin the numbers aren't overly impressive, but what the team is looking for here is a steady #5-6 guy for a lower cap hit. I just think the guys mentioned above would command too much money.

#47 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:41 PM

Wasn't it Cheli who was responsible for that? From what I recall, Dan reached out to him about the trainer he used & getting more committed to working on his fitness level to prove to teams he could stick in the NHL or something to that effect.

#48 jmad

jmad

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 07:56 PM

Trust me people, this is sheerly hypothetical.

so you're saying this poll won't have any effect whatsoever on the Wings actual decisions?

#49 BUHdactyl

BUHdactyl

Rookie

• Pip
  • 101 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:13 PM

Holy hell people he was injured all season... He is a beast when he is healthy and next season he will prove it to you, because he is LOYAL and he works his ass off. All I ever hear on this board is how we need more grit, and we need scorers who can fight, and Dan Cleary is one of those guys. He is the best fighter on our team, no contest, and he can hit like a locomotive when he wants to. Potential to score 20-30 goals per year, the skills to play on ANY line in ANY situation, and the ability to whoop the f*** out of BRAD MAY - the worthless turd who we brought in to start a bunch of boring staged fights which he mostly LOST. So many people want Carcillo, yet Cleary could manhandle him, is a better scorer, great on the PK, and won't take nearly as many stupid penalties. Oh and he also grows a mean beard while Carcillo can't even grow Crosby fuzz... Cleary is the man and I can't believe the Bertuzzi thread was derailed by this nonsense only to see another thread about it today.

#50 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:45 PM

Cleary has a NTC and he's really committed to making up for this past season. I think he knows just as well as anyone that he didn't earn his contract. The Red Wings as an organization are very loyal and I can't see them shipping him off unless he continues his poor play 1/3 into next season. That being said, out of those four defenders listed:

Michalek is one of the better shot blockers in the whole league, and I think there's no way that Phoenix let's him get away, even with their self-imposed cap.

Sutton will command big bucks and someone will likely give it to him. He's in the Top 10 for most hits and he's 2nd overall in blocked shots. Making 3.5 last year I think he'd want at least that much again.

Mitchell also made 3.5 last season, but I see him as much more likely to take a pay-cut. His season was plagued by injury and he didn't have the best year overall so who knows.

Hamhuis I think would be the most likely candidate to land in Detroit. He had a pretty good season and made 2.5 last year. The only issue I could see is that he's a young guy and he might want the most money he can while he's still young.

Some guys I think might be a little more likely to come to Detroit would be Brookbank, Exelby or Wallin. Aside from Wallin the numbers aren't overly impressive, but what the team is looking for here is a steady #5-6 guy for a lower cap hit. I just think the guys mentioned above would command too much money.

I was giving an example of a situation wherein I would be willing to trade Cleary, not making a suggestion of something I think is feasible. But I guess that's what you get when you answer a silly hypothetical question.

#51 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 08:47 PM

Here's the problem-- if you want to trade Cleary he's at a low value right now. He had a rough season last year and struggled with groin problems all year. I really believe Cleary can be a 20+20 guy again. He just needs to come to camp healthy. Last year he never managed to shake off the groin issues then the shoulder injury made it worse for him.

If our bottom 6 could've played well in the playoffs the Wings definitely could have gone farther.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#52 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,631 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:38 PM

He's the model of a consistent regular season player, but he is sooo inconsistent in the playoffs it hurts. He does good, he does bad, he does good, and then he does bad.

You know exactly what you're going to get from him: injury prone, ~15 goals, ~40 points, 60-75 games, solid defense, and finish somewhere around even +/-.

I said trade him and I don't feel bad about it. I was decently happy with the dollare amount he was given, but the NTC killed me. I'm in the same boat with Stuart as well. If he stays a Wing I'll be happy but not thrilled, if they get traded somehow I won't be too disappointed.

Cleary wasn't very inconsistent in the playoffs in 2009. I think the injuries were a huge factor in Cleary's production this past season. I would say Cleary goes through far more dry stretches in the regular season and then ramps it up for the playoffs with his energy and goal scoring.

As far as Stuart, he's even more of a bargain than Cleary. Stuart has been an absolute beast three straight years in Detroit during the playoffs - what more does he have to do to prove his value around here? Not to mention, Stuart was easily the Red Wings best defenseman before the Olympics and during all of the injuries. I'm thrilled Stuart decided to stay with the Red Wings - he's our most reliable player on the back end after Nick.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#53 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 09:44 PM

I wonder if a line of Bertuzzi-Abdelkader-Cleary would work... I think Abs would be better suited to play with them than Helm, and the other option would be if Ritola surprised the team and worked himself into the 3rd line center position.

I don't know who out of Dats, Z, Mule, Homer, Hudler or Flip would be taken out of the Top 6. I would say Hudler, but Babcock's already stated that he's high on him. Maybe Flip if he doesn't produce?

We have some solid depth, just not too sure of how some of it will mesh.

#54 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

Read my sigline, people.
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#55 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 08 June 2010 - 11:36 PM

Read my sigline, people.

So whats wrong with discussing hypotheticals?

This season is a make or break season for Cleary. And he knows it. And that's good.

#56 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

This season is a make or break season for Cleary. And he knows it. And that's good.

I definitely disagree. He has a NTC and 3 years left on his contract. How often do teams ask players to waive those? More to the point, how often do the Detroit Red Wings ask players to waive those?

#57 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,850 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

Through his career in Detroit Cleary has averaged 14 goals and 20 assits a season. Considering where he came from thats great, considering his age and price now? His money could be used elsewhere but I say keep him, he should have a lot better season, all of them should.
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#58 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:30 AM

I definitely disagree. He has a NTC and 3 years left on his contract. How often do teams ask players to waive those? More to the point, how often do the Detroit Red Wings ask players to waive those?

ding. ding. ding.

we have a winner

:thumbup:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#59 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:31 AM

Here's the problem-- if you want to trade Cleary he's at a low value right now. He had a rough season last year and struggled with groin problems all year. I really believe Cleary can be a 20+20 guy again. He just needs to come to camp healthy. Last year he never managed to shake off the groin issues then the shoulder injury made it worse for him.

If our bottom 6 could've played well in the playoffs the Wings definitely could have gone farther.

Easier said than done with some players.. some players just can´t stand healthy, fact.

#60 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:32 AM

This.

Posted Image