• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Heaten

Fire sale in Chicago?

Rate this topic

I'd take Versteeg or Hjmarlsson in a heartbeat.

You're completely right, those 3 goals in 22 games were what really what put Chicago over the edge.

Philly victimized Hjmarlsson a few times in the finals but you can't beat all those blocks he made...

That's just insane - they're already at $57.5M with only 14 players...

Hilarious, eh? Dale Tallon's got one summer to hear praises sung about his managment skills. Then the hammer will fall in Chicago and his team will dissolve under the weight of Huet and Campbell's brutal contacts. Hossa's contract was foolish too, but at least it wasn't an overpayment (on a per year basis).

s***, I thought this thread was going to be about burning down the UC and looting their s***! My bad.

I like Versteeg and Sharp. I liked Havlat last year too, but he was caught sleeping in the WCF. :o

Philly victimized Hjmarlsson a few times in the finals but you can't beat all those blocks he made...

Hilarious, eh? Dale Tallon's got one summer to hear praises sung about his managment skills. Then the hammer will fall in Chicago and his team will dissolve under the weight of Huet and Campbell's brutal contacts. Hossa's contract was foolish too, but at least it wasn't an overpayment (on a per year basis).

Tallon built a championship roster and was removed from the GM position after completely putting the Stanley Cup champions together. He was demoted to "senior advisor" in favor of Stan Bowman taking the GM position. The worst part is that he isn't even with the organization anymore. It's like if Kenny traded Kronwall for another defenseman, and that defenseman was horrible in Detroit, so Kenny was placed in a "advisor" position and Nill was named GM, and then Kenny left to be GM of another team while the Wings won the Cup without making any other moves. Would be pretty unfair to Kenny.

Guest Crymson

Anyway we could swing a 3way deal with the Hawks and some team and flip Fil for Bolland? Not too much more expensive. Probably never ever gonna happen but i'd love to have that guy on the Wings.

Stop playing GM Mode in NHL 10, please.

Tallon built a championship roster and was removed from the GM position after completely putting the Stanley Cup champions together. He was demoted to "senior advisor" in favor of Stan Bowman taking the GM position. The worst part is that he isn't even with the organization anymore. It's like if Kenny traded Kronwall for another defenseman, and that defenseman was horrible in Detroit, so Kenny was placed in a "advisor" position and Nill was named GM, and then Kenny left to be GM of another team while the Wings won the Cup without making any other moves. Would be pretty unfair to Kenny.

There has been a lot of talk in recent weeks on xm radio about Tallon and McDonough, and how Wirtz, if he was a classy guy. Basically stating these guys deserve rings as well, if the Hawks were to win. Now I am actually curious to see if it happens. Not holding my breath though.

Like I said-- Tallon will get credit for the Hawks win. But make no mistake-- he was far from perfect. I have to laugh when people say Kane and Toews were great drafts by Tallon. Picking the 1st and 2nd overall players is the easiest thing in the damn world. I could have picked those two players by just looking at the unanimous choices made by every single scouting agency on those two picks.

Ladd and Sharp stand out as really smart moves he made. Keith was developed really well too-- they weren't afraid to let him develop in the AHL which definitely served him in the long run.

But this terrible cap crunch Chicago is in was created by Tallon when he signed Huet and Campbell to laughable contracts even though his team was fine as it was and needed to think about retaining their young talent. Huet is easily one of the worst goaltending signings in recent history and he contributed nothing to their Cup win while collecting $5,000,000 to chart face-offs. Campbell is untradeable because he makes Lidstrom money to turn the puck over and plan spin-o-ramas that do nothing but infuriate people.

Of course we could also mention a certain coach who was made to look like a moron in Philly by a superior bench boss.

Tallon deserves credit but he deserves his share of scorn as well.

That being said I certainly hope s***cago has the class to mail Tallon a ring because he does deserve it.

Tallon deserves credit but he deserves his share of scorn as well.

That being said I certainly hope s***cago has the class to mail Tallon a ring because he does deserve it.

word.

they traded a cup season for another 5-10 years in the basement... actually not a bad trade off when you think about how long and hard teams try for a cup in the first place...

All and all though, there should be a LOT of movement there this off season...

they traded a cup season for another 5-10 years in the basement... actually not a bad trade off when you think about how long and hard teams try for a cup in the first place...

All and all though, there should be a LOT of movement there this off season...

I wouldn't say they'll be in the basement. They definitely won't have the chops on depth to become a dynasty or likely win the conference again for the next few years, but they'll still be competitive in the regular season.

As we all know, 3rd and 4th lines are crucial to postseason success and Chicago will be stuck with two mediocre AHL-quality lines. It's not gonna be pretty in Chicago come April 2011.

How the hell do you solve this? They will only have about $400,000 space. This assumes the cap is $58 million.

Salary Cap Chart

They're either going to be trading guys for picks & prospects or getting compensation via offer sheet.

They'll lose some good pieces, but they'll keep the farm system strong.

I wouldn't say they'll be in the basement. They definitely won't have the chops on depth to become a dynasty or likely win the conference again for the next few years, but they'll still be competitive in the regular season.

As we all know, 3rd and 4th lines are crucial to postseason success and Chicago will be stuck with two mediocre AHL-quality lines. It's not gonna be pretty in Chicago come April 2011.

I agree. The core is too good for Chicago to be cellar-dwellers the next few years. However, with this Cup win, I for one don't want to hear a peep out of a single Chicago fan about how the Wings bought Cups.

Guest GordieSid&Ted

It's hard to imagine Chicago won't get stiffed on those trades-- they have zero leverage. Everyone knows their hands are tied. And now all of the players have their Cups and are focused on nailing down their financial security for the foreseeable future.

I see a lot of wishful thinking on the part of bitter Wings fans here.

And I doubt the Hawks are going to get fleeced on trades.

First, there are 29 other teams and surely a number of them are going to want players of Versteeg and Sharp's level. Assuming of course those are the guys on the move. You're forgetting that those 29 teams, or whomever is in competition for those players is going to have to ante up something in order to beat the other guy's deal. So it's not just a case of Chicago trading to another team for scraps. It's Chicago weighing offers from multiple teams where each of those teams is competing with one another to acquire the players they want. It might not be the best scenario for Chicago since they're up against it cap-wise, but I don't imagine they'll get stiffed.

Second, they have a lot of pieces already locked up and these pieces are good. Even if you subtract 2 players from this list, or even 3 players, it's a nice core group of talent. Remember, these guys are ALREADY SIGNED. No losing them via RFA offer sheets. I don't see anybody making offers for Ladd, Hjarmalsson or Hendry. Those guys are re-signable.

Kane

Toews

Hossa

Sharp

Bolland

Byfuglien

Versteeg

Brouwer

Kopecky

Sopel

Campbell

Keith

Seabrook

Niemi might cause them a pretty big problem in arbitration but who is to say how that's going to come out.

It's clear they are going to have to trade away a couple of good players. But they should get decent return. They may even have to bring up guys like Skille and Aliu. Oh well, that's what farm systems are for.

I'll gladly come back here and eat crow if the Hawks get dismantled. I just don't see it. They can make a couple of trades, re-sign some low salary role players and still have some of the best talent in the league.

Any team that has

Kane, Toews, Hossa, Keith, Seabrook and Campbell on it just for starters is going to be a pretty good team.

Guest mindfly

Yeah Chicago will still unfortunately have a better core than detroit (especially if you considering the age factor etc)

The Hawks leverage is actually offer sheets.

If they're getting lousy offers for their RFA's via trade, they can just let teams know that if they don't ante up in a trade, they'll take the compensation via offer sheet, which could be huge for some guys if a free agent bidding war starts.

They'll get decent value for their guys under contract that they have to move, if only for having a lot of teams bidding against each other.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Well, according to CapGeek, if the Hawks buy out Campbell, there'll be a $2.4M cap hit FOR THE NEXT 12 YEARS!!!

They're already right up against the cap and they need to sign another 8-9 players. If/when they buy out/trade a couple of players that makes it 9-10 players they need to sign, most if not all of whom will have to make $500k-$1M (or bring up some cheap kids, but I have no knowledge of their quality of prospects).

They're not going to suddenly suck, but they are going to lose a ton of depth. One only has to look at the likes of Anaheim and TB to see what happens to top heavy teams in a cap world.

I see a lot of wishful thinking on the part of bitter Wings fans here.

And I doubt the Hawks are going to get fleeced on trades.

First, there are 29 other teams and surely a number of them are going to want players of Versteeg and Sharp's level. Assuming of course those are the guys on the move. You're forgetting that those 29 teams, or whomever is in competition for those players is going to have to ante up something in order to beat the other guy's deal. So it's not just a case of Chicago trading to another team for scraps. It's Chicago weighing offers from multiple teams where each of those teams is competing with one another to acquire the players they want. It might not be the best scenario for Chicago since they're up against it cap-wise, but I don't imagine they'll get stiffed.

I didn't say they were going to be fleeced. I'm just saying they won't get the true value of those players in a trade,

So is there a cap in the AHL? Like what happens if they waive Huet to put him in the minors, there is no cap hit on the Hawks right? And i highly doubt anyone is gonna pick up his 5 million dollar contract? So how does that work? It seems like a logical way to free up a good portion of money to sign some cheap people while not having to dump as much.

So is there a cap in the AHL? Like what happens if they waive Huet to put him in the minors, there is no cap hit on the Hawks right? And i highly doubt anyone is gonna pick up his 5 million dollar contract? So how does that work? It seems like a logical way to free up a good portion of money to sign some cheap people while not having to dump as much.

There's no cap in the AHL.

If Huet is waived, he won't count against the cap. But he can't be taken off their cap until the end of training camp.

Also, Jonathan Toews gets a $1.3 million bonus for winning the Conn Smythe. Because it wouldn't fit on Chicago's cap from this past season, it carries over to the 2010/11 season.

If Huet is waived, he won't count against the cap. But he can't be taken off their cap until the end of training camp.

Also, Jonathan Toews gets a $1.3 million bonus for winning the Conn Smythe. Because it wouldn't fit on Chicago's cap from this past season, it carries over to the 2010/11 season.

And....Boom goes the dynamite!

Talk about a massive blow to an already rough situation.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Yeah Chicago will still unfortunately have a better core than detroit (especially if you considering the age factor etc)

Really? I don't think that at all. I'd like to see you compare and explain that answer.

Plus I have a feeling that if guys like Huet or Campbell are waived, it may be detrimental to Chicago obtaining players through free agency. Players already saw when they did that to Khabibulin. If they do that to Huet and/or Campbell, it's going to make Chicago a less-than-desirable location to play in for fear of getting sent down to the minors at the drop of a hat.

Plus I have a feeling that if guys like Huet or Campbell are waived, it may be detrimental to Chicago obtaining players through free agency. Players already saw when they did that to Khabibulin. If they do that to Huet and/or Campbell, it's going to make Chicago a less-than-desirable location to play in for fear of getting sent down to the minors at the drop of a hat.

Yeah, they won't do that with Campbell because he's played well enough that you don't treat him like that and put him in the NHL when he's clearly an NHL defenceman. But they may waive him just to get him on re-entry waivers.

Huet is another story, but he's above playing in the AHL (not by much at times).

I really think they'll try to avoid going the AHL route.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Guest mindfly

Really? I don't think that at all. I'd like to see you compare and explain that answer.

Well they are about equally good but they have age on their side and will be that good for a longer time than detroit, that will have to have a new core in a few years when lidstrom have retired, datsyuk cooled down, zetterberg not as impressive/slower etc

Edited by mindfly