• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Heaten

Fire sale in Chicago?

Rate this topic

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

It's their GM that got them that bonus thingy included in their contract.. "if we win the cup and toews lead the way winning the conn smythe i will gladly accept those 1.3M" i think it's pretty close on how they were thinking

Oh, My misunderstanding. Thanks for the clarification.

Guest mindfly

Hahaha. So there 3.1 mil over the cap with 14 guys signed. Should be fun to watch the Hawks offseason moves.

they can make it messy with buy outs, waivers and stuff... they can tweak around alot but of course these bonuses makes it more complicated :cool:

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Why?

I just skimmed through this thread, and miscomprehended the original post about winning the Conn Smythe. I was under the impression the league was giving out the bonus for some reason. Just a lapse in thinking.

I just skimmed through this thread, and miscomprehended the original post about winning the Conn Smythe. I was under the impression the league was giving out the bonus for some reason. Just a lapse in thinking.

Ah gotcha.

I read a little bit more about the bonus issues and according to this news article the total bonus hit added to next year's salary is roughly $5,000,000. The Hawks may be much, much worse off than was even thought.

Link to the Article

So basically what you are saying is that they....are stewed!...

In then end I don't really know how screwed they are.

They just won the cup.

They'll still Toews, Kane, Hossa and Keith.

Unless all the GMs in the NHL are going to bully the Hawks into being over the cap next year and having to forfeit every game I don't really see all that much bad.

They just won the cup.

Unless all the GMs in the NHL are going to bully the Hawks into being over the cap next year and having to forfeit every game I don't really see all that much bad.

I was just about to say this. It's not like any of this is unexpected for Chicago management. They knew exactly what they were doing and the consequences. The only way one can logically conclude that they screwed themselves would be if they didn't win the cup this year.

Regardless of how the 'Hawks handle this whole thing, it's going to look bad on them. It's hard to stay competitive with all the parity in the league right now but over-stacking your team, winning a cup and then having to resort to fire sales/waivers/buy-outs is not a very attractive way of doing business. Maybe it's just me, but the Wings look like a model organization because they treat players fairly (too fairly at times, I agree).

I think it's going to come down to:

A) Treat your players fairly, have a decent team and get everyone to buy into the team's philosophy. Several of your core players sign "discounts". This creates a decent team, but definitely not a stacked one that can stay competitive over time.

B) Sign everything you can, put yourself in tons of cap trouble but win the cup. Suffer for a good while, because you're not good, but you're not bad either. Then re-build.

In terms of who I'd want, I don't think we could really afford much of what they're going to lose. I think it'd be a miracle if they got someone to take Huet or Campbell of their hands. They'd have to attach some serious prospects and/or picks as well. Ideally I'd take a guy like Buttfugly or Versteeg, but I highly doubt we could afford either of them without a trade.

Guest mindfly

For example if they buy-out Huet they can fix it so they have an approx 2M caphit from the buy-out for a period of 4 years...it's bad but not superbad...

Edited by mindfly

For example if they buy-out Huet they can fix it so they have an approx 2M caphit from the buy-out for a period of 4 years...it's bad but not superbad...

Even so, don't you think that's bad business? It's not very appealing to go to a place that's willing to throw talent around like it's nothing. I think players would rather a better mix of talent and compassion from the management.

Guest mindfly

Even so, don't you think that's bad business? It's not very appealing to go to a place that's willing to throw talent around like it's nothing. I think players would rather a better mix of talent and compassion from the management.

I don't really think anyone can answer that except the ones involved in the game/nhl...i'll ask oscar moller when he gets here in the off season and hear what he thinks about all this...he's still on entry level and go up n down from the minors though..

Edit: If it was all about being treated right and with compassion from management etc i think detroit would be alot hotter destination..i don't get the feeling and don't read anywhere during the off season that detroit is a team everyone wants to play for... Money will always be priority number one i think

Edited by mindfly

My wild guess based on absolutely nothing: they will find a way to get rid of Huet and Campbell because they have to. They will trade one of their big forwards (Hossa/Bolland/Sharp) and resign Hjalmarsson or a free agent top four defenseman. They will resign Niemi. They will sign a lot of cheap free agents/bring up some cheap prospects.

Byfuglein-Toews-Kane

Hossa-Sharp-Versteeg

Brouwer-Kopecky-?

?-?-?

?

Keith-Seabrook

Hjalmarsson-Sopel

?-?

?

Niemi

?

Assuming they can get rid of Huet and Campbell they aren't completely screwed. They will likely have just under 1 million on average to fill each of those question marks. I could see them trading two of Hossa/Bolland/Sharp to get a little more depth, especially at defense.

Yes I am bored enough to go on capgeek and solve Chicago's salary cap situation.

They just won the cup.

Without their depth the Hawks don't sniff the cup this year.

They are going to lose a majority of that depth in the coming years and they have their poor management decisions to blame. Most GMs can take the amount of talent Chicago picked up and form a winning team, but very few are able to consistently put together winning franchises year after year.

Here's a good example of what I was talking about when I said that I don't think simply sending Huet and Campbell to the minors forever is a viable solution:

CANWEST NEWS SERVICES: Allen Panzeri reports the Ottawa Senators will likely buy out the contract of forward Jonathan Cheechoo, who understands he's likely on his way out either via trade or buyout. Cheechoo's set to earn $3.5 million in the final year of his contract, which if the Senators buy it out would count as $1 million per season for the next two seasons but would free up $2 million or so this season which the Sens could put toward another player.

SPECTOR'S NOTE: Not only could Cheechoo's days with the Senators be numbered but also his NHL career. It's possible a team seeking affordable depth on the wing could take a chance on him but his offensive decline has really hurt his potential free agent/trade value. Hey, maybe the Penguins might be interested if they decide not to sign Guerin?

That's from Spector's Hockey. Cheechoo is an extreme example of Huet's problem (except Huet ended the season with good numbers, even if his year long numbers were crappy in places). The idea that you can bury healthy, relatively young, overpaid players in the minors is a fallacy.

Campbell has a NTC. No Trade Clause. He doesn't have a NMC, or No Movement Clause. BIG difference. He would being waived and sent to the minors or picked up by another NHL team. He has no say in that.

Huet would be the same scenario, without the NTC.

It's not really that hard to comprehend.

Yes, but aren't these one way contracts? So if nobody wants to pick up their inflated salary, Chicago is still paying these guys there salaries and counting against the cap. They'd have to hope and pray someone picks them up.

<br />I'd take Versteeg or Hjmarlsson in a heartbeat.You're completely right, those 3 goals in 22 games were what really what put Chicago over the edge.<br />

Versteeg did say his favorite player was Steve Yzerman the other night so maybe he'll take a "discount" lol.

Edited by 13dangledangle

Boy, you guys sure do like talking about the Blackhawks.

I'll admit though, it's interesting hearing you guys try to talk yourself into thinking that the Blackhawks will suck this year.

A point nobody is bringing up - the Hawks are going to absolutely load up their system in the returns they get for these guys. The guys they're going to be trading had very good value right now.

Really what we're looking at next year for the Hawks is a team that is still part of a group of about 6-8 teams that has a chance to win a Cup. The stars are more important than the depth, and that's all the Hawks are losing.... depth. Will they even lose one of their top 10 players this offseason?

Hawks best 10 players, in no specific order

Hossa

Toews

Seabrook

Keith

Hjalmarsson

Campbell

Kane

Sharp

Bolland

Niemi

Most likely, they won't lose any of those guys. Maybe Bolland. So yeah, the Hawks will be losing depth more than anything else. Will this offseason hurt them? Absolutely. But to act like they aren't going to be a Cup contender next season seems pretty silly to me.

What will happen is they'll spend the next couple years as one of 6-8 teams that has a chance to win a cup, then will be in great shape again after that. Their system is going to be loaded, and the money situation will be better.

But hey, if you guys want to say things like "the hits keep on coming", go right ahead. I'm sure the Stanley Cup championship this year was worth sitting through a horrrrrible 100-105 point season next year.

Bombay: Depth is what won the Hawks the cup this year.

Do you think with the series Hossa, Kane, and Toews had the Hawks would have stood a chance in the P.O. without their depth?

100% correct. At the end of the day, depth is what wins Stanley Cups.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the Hawks are dead in the water and will be forced to trade great/strong players for nothing. Does a player's cap hit count if he clears waivers and goes to the minors? I suspect that will happen with Huet. I think Eager, Burish and Madden are as good as gone (UFA's). The problem for them will be how to get Hjalmarsson locked up (RFA). Teams are gonna look long and hard at that kid. Ladd is also an RFA and you have to think he's gone. Byfuglien and Brouwer are RFA the season after. This team will still be a contender but they are going to come back to the pack a little bit with the loss of some depth. I can't imagine a team helping them by taking Huet or Campbell, especially at those dollars.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=CHI

I'll admit though, it's interesting hearing you guys try to talk yourself into thinking that the Blackhawks will suck this year.

A point nobody is bringing up - the Hawks are going to absolutely load up their system in the returns they get for these guys. The guys they're going to be trading had very good value right now.

Really what we're looking at next year for the Hawks is a team that is still part of a group of about 6-8 teams that has a chance to win a Cup. The stars are more important than the depth, and that's all the Hawks are losing.... depth. Will they even lose one of their top 10 players this offseason?

Hossa

Toews

Seabrook

Keith

Hjalmarsson

Campbell

Kane

Sharp

Bolland

Niemi

Most likely, they won't lose any of those guys. Maybe Bolland. So yeah, the Hawks will be losing depth more than anything else. Will this offseason hurt them? Absolutely. But to act like they aren't going to be a Cup contender next season seems pretty silly to me.

What will happen is they'll spend the next couple years as one of 6-8 teams that has a chance to win a cup, then will be in great shape again after that. Their system is going to be loaded, and the money situation will be better.

But hey, if you guys want to say things like "the hits keep on coming", go right ahead. I'm sure the Stanley Cup championship this year was worth sitting through a horrrrrible 100-105 point season next year.

First, since every other GM in the NHL knows how bad the Blackhawks need to dump salary they won't be getting anywhere near what the players they trade are nearly worth. Second, what people aren't looking at is even if there are some huge trades this is a cap world and other gms will send some cap back chicagos way. Third ask Tampa and Anaheim what one great line, one good line, one good defensive unit and a good goalie gets you. I promise you its not that far... if your team is a 1.5 line team every team will throw their shut down guys at them and they won't be scoring many goals.

Edited by Shaman464

Hossa

Toews

Seabrook

Keith

Hjalmarsson

Campbell

Kane

Sharp

Bolland

Niemi

Adding Kane, Toews, Hossa, Sharp, Keith, Seabrook, Campbell, and Bolland puts the 'Hawks right around 45 million already. That's without considering Huet's disgusting contract, nor raises for Niemi and Hjalmarsson. Oh, and the other 12-14 roster players.

I think the truth lies somewhere between what the 'Hawks fans want to believe and what the 'Wings fans want to believe. Will the 'Blackhawks chances nosedive after this off-season? Nope, they'll still be contenders and will give us a run for our money for the division title. However, their team certainly won't be anything like what it was this year.

I think the Blackhawks will likely take a long hard look at who they consider the core of the team to be, namely Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith, and Niemi. Many of the rest of the players, if the offer was right, will likely be available to other teams.

look at the Penguins. They won and people in the media threw the dynasty word around. Crosby and Malkin's huge contracts kicked in and they had to let go of 'role' players like Gill and Scuderi. They are still a good team but not as good as the team that won the Cup, and i think if they were in the west they would have barely made the playoffs. Its going to be the same with the Hawks. They won't tank, but they won't be the most stacked team in the league. in fact, chicago has worse contracts than the pens

Its funny how many (not on this board though lol) now think Quenneville is a good coach with this win. The truth is, he was given the keys to such a stacked and loaded team that it would have been harder not to win the Cup this year.

Such stacked teams don't come along often. In the salary cap world, this only happens when you have superstars that are still on their entry level contracts.

Edited by jeff48109