• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jmr13

chicago-based wings fans

Rate this topic

I have simply had enough of listening to the bandwagon Blackhawks fans the last few weeks. Perhaps when they have a few more cups they can come talk to us then. Now I get the distinct pleasure of listening to their car horns all night long. Where were these people a year or two ago when the blackhawks were practically begging people to purchase tickets?

We have our fair share of bandwagon fans. Although, i think the majority of ours just expect the wings to be good since we've been good for so long, so many people dont start following them till playoffs because in their minds thats all that matters. I never got that though, why jump on the wagon in thefinal stride of the season and root for the team if you dont know anytihng about the players? Stupid if you ask me.

We have our fair share of bandwagon fans. Although, i think the majority of ours just expect the wings to be good since we've been good for so long, so many people dont start following them till playoffs because in their minds thats all that matters. I never got that though, why jump on the wagon in thefinal stride of the season and root for the team if you dont know anytihng about the players? Stupid if you ask me.

especially when you start to talk to them about the game and becomes painfully obvious that most have no idea what your talking about. I have been a wings fan my entire life (literally). the overriding opinion I get from people here is that I should hang up my wings hat and wear a hawks one...I laugh like crazy about that. I don't mind the opposing team's fan when they have been a fan through thick and thin, and don't feel the need to yell "detroit sucks" at a blackhawks game when the hawks aren't even playing the wings. It'll be interesting to see what happens next season.

Where were the Red Wings fans in the mid 80s?

We don't seem like we've got many bandwagon fans because the team has been competitive for so long. But when the Wings were awful, the fans weren't there in Detroit either. It's not very much fun to support a terrible team for very long.

It's why I would say Detroit is actually Footballtown™. Because the Lions suck year after year, and us fans just keep coming back for more punishment.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

It's why I would say Detroit is actually Footballtown™. Because the Lions suck year after year, and us fans just keep coming back for more punishment.

Yep. The Lions still get way more coverage and attention than any of the other teams combined, despite sucking ass every year. Imagine if they ever put a good season together.

Every one of the other three teams have pretty bandwagon heavy fan bases.

As far as the Hawks go, I can't wait to see them lose all of their depth in the offseason. Glad this season is over. I am happy for Hossa though.

Edited by Trapt1307

I was living in the D near Gratiot and Gunston.

The Snorris Division, Detoilet Dead Things..... Man, things sure have changed.

All fans are bandwagoners first, then become long term fans.... that, or they move on to other teams. LOL

especially when you start to talk to them about the game and becomes painfully obvious that most have no idea what your talking about. I have been a wings fan my entire life (literally). the overriding opinion I get from people here is that I should hang up my wings hat and wear a hawks one...I laugh like crazy about that. I don't mind the opposing team's fan when they have been a fan through thick and thin, and don't feel the need to yell "detroit sucks" at a blackhawks game when the hawks aren't even playing the wings. It'll be interesting to see what happens next season.

This happens so much to me! My coworker does it, but he only talks about crosby and i think the only reason he does that is because he knows i hate crosby and the penguins. Specially other teens at my church. They all know I'm a huge hockey fan and they will talk like they know everything and will get team names wrong and will mix the teams up with wrong cities. Usually the second they start talking about hockey they are getting stuff wrong.

But I am glad hockey is becoming more popular and my friends at church are slowly becoming more knowledgeable, specifically about the caps sense thats like the home team here. One kid mentioned some facts about a player and they were all correct. I was speechless

We don't seem like we've got many bandwagon fans because the team has been competitive for so long. But when the Wings were awful, the fans weren't there in Detroit either. It's not very much fun to support a terrible team for very long.

I jumped on the Yzerman bandwagon in 83.

I remember when the Joe was clean and one of the newest, coolest places to see a live game. The only problem was, it was frequently empty! In my childhood memories, it always seemed to be Tigers. That was the ticket in town, especially in 84.

The issue for me, at least, isn't that Chicago has bangwagon fans, all teams do certainly. But these Hawks bangwagons are just jackasses, they act like they were there from the beginning and they weren't. There has to be a certian amount of humility when you just start following a team. You can't scream Detroit Sux when you know nothing about the rivalary. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from admittedly new fans that they hate the Flyers. Why? Because you're playing them? Its not like there is any history there so whats the beef besides that you're an idiot?

Be a bangwagon fan and when the parade happens Friday, I hope they celebrate their ass off but be honest about it and admit you weren't there for the team a couple years ago. Thats all.

Edited by ChitownWingsfan

I have simply had enough of listening to the bandwagon Blackhawks fans the last few weeks. Perhaps when they have a few more cups they can come talk to us then. Now I get the distinct pleasure of listening to their car horns all night long. Where were these people a year or two ago when the blackhawks were practically begging people to purchase tickets?

Every team has it's a'hole and bandwagon fans, including the Red Wings. Whenever a team wins a championship, the fans will be the loudest. Happens every year. It doesn't matter who won more championships, who has better personnel, why my city is better than yours, whatever. Let them have their moment in the sun, they'll eventually fade away and life will return to normal. As long as they aren't hurting anybody, it isn't worth getting all pissed off at the hassle because this happens every year. Just ignore and walk away. You, me, nor anybody else is going to change these fans.

The issue for me, at least, isn't that Chicago has bangwagon fans, all teams do certainly. But these Hawks bangwagons are just jackasses, they act like they were there from the beginning and they were. There has to be a certian amount of humility when you just start following a team. You can't scream Detroit Sux when you know nothing about the rivalary. I can't tell you how many times I've heard from admittedly new fans that they hate the Flyers. Why? Because you're playing them? Its not like there is any history there so whats the beef besides that you're an idiot?

Be a bangwagon fan and when the parade happens Friday, I hope they celebrate their ass off but be honest about it and admit you weren't there for the team a couple years ago. Thats all.

Happens in every arena, every city like you said. So why get pissy about it? Who gives a damn if they say Detroit sucks or Philly sucks? They're just being playful and in the moment. They could say 1000 things much worse and much more offending.

I was more interested in Sesame Street and applesauce in the mid 80's :) My old man introduced me to hockey in 95 or 96, but I think he prolonged my exposure to the sport because of my mom's hatred of violence and the fact that we had Probert. Just a hunch though.

And as Packers fans, we laugh. :P

I'll be happy to not have jackasses who don't know what icing is sticking their heads in my office saying, "hawks rule, wings suck!" that'll be nice. I won't miss that. I have some friends who have followed the Hawks their whole lives, had season tickets while they were terrible, and it's good for them. But it's tough living in Chicago as a Wings fan. Especially this month.

I was at the Joe. My dad used to take me and my sister with his buddy to games all the time. They wouldn't charge us for tickets because we'd sit on their laps.

I'll be happy to not have jackasses who don't know what icing is sticking their heads in my office saying, "hawks rule, wings suck!" that'll be nice. I won't miss that. I have some friends who have followed the Hawks their whole lives, had season tickets while they were terrible, and it's good for them. But it's tough living in Chicago as a Wings fan. Especially this month.

I was at the Joe. My dad used to take me and my sister with his buddy to games all the time. They wouldn't charge us for tickets because we'd sit on their laps.

They have their fun now, but when half their team disappears between now and October due to cap issues you'll know you'll have the last laugh.

QFT

Let me back up a bit. I pretty much stand by what I said earlier but I'll try to take a bit softer stance..

Of course it can get silly or irritating what's generally being described in this thread, but for every team there's a few idiot fans from Chicago making fun of Detroit, to Philly slamming on Pittsburgh in any sport or vice versa, to Los Angeles teams ragging on each other, whatever. There were probably plenty around that were making fun of Saints fans when we won our first Super Bowl this past season.

It's a never ending cycle, regardless of how long a fan you've been, if you are a newbie or bandwagoner who doesn't quite know the game fully, whatever. It's just one of those things that is a part of life that's always going to be there and I can't really do aynthing about it or control so there's not much point in it ruining my day.

I can take ragging from fans all day. Doesn't bother me. As long as people don't try to initiate by throwing hands with me or throw debris at me and as long as they aren't ruining the fan experieneces of others around them while I'm at a game (i.e. not considering family types and kids around, just constant slurs not knowing when to shut up when others can watch a game normally where noise naturally ebbs/flows, etc.), we'll always be good.

I went to a couple games back then, why wouldn't you want a chance to win a new car at the price of a cheap ticket. Newer fans don't remember the car giving away days to get people in the building.

Hell most teams wouldn't survive the good times if not for the bandwagoners. That extra money helps.

I also too live in the chicago area and my family happens to be long term hawks fans. So I felt for them because I know that that organization was incredibly s***ty beforehand. So i'm happy for my dad and bro. Besides that its a 50/50 draw between respectable hawks fans and the morons. The morons include the guy in the interview after the game in a large crowd. Reporter "How do you feel about winning the stanley cup?" Moron "Detroit sucks!!! YEA!!!". Yes he is a ****** as well. Another moron includes the born again hawks fan that knows everything about the hawks...but actually knows nothing. The fan that thinks the hawks are the cream of the crop organization and that no other one compares, but when confronted with actual information they don't have anything to say.

The people who are adamant about information ie my GF is a brand new hockey fan, I made her a wings fan. But we are from chicagoland so we see the hawks too. Her roomie was talking about Toews. But pronouncing it "Tays" and upon my GF correcting her about it being pronounced "Tayves" she adamantly defends her Tays remark like she knows it all.

These are examples of the "Fans" I can't stand being in chicago. Also Chicago fans have to secretly hate their team, I've never seen fans yell at their own players constantly throughout a game and rip into them like these fans do.

QFT

I see your experience and mine are very similar. I too know people who have been hawks fans for as long as I've loved the Wings. However, they tend to not be the people who act like fools. They tend to be the true fan who continues to have endurance and love for their respective team even when not having a winning season. I met someone just yesterday afternoon before the game who was wearing a hawks tshirt. I asked them if they were excited about the game, this person leaned in and quietly mentioned that they really only followed the team when they were winning. I found this very funny and told this person not to worry because they will be in good company with the majority of the other "fans". If someone has loved the team forever...congrats...otherwise if you just became a hawks fan because you found out that Chicago had a winning team...my advice is that they actually try and learn something about the sport, the team, and the history before they start running their mouth about the wings.

Let me back up a bit. I pretty much stand by what I said earlier but I'll try to take a bit softer stance..

Of course it can get silly or irritating what's generally being described in this thread, but for every team there's a few idiot fans from Chicago making fun of Detroit, to Philly slamming on Pittsburgh in any sport or vice versa, to Los Angeles teams ragging on each other, whatever. There were probably plenty around that were making fun of Saints fans when we won our first Super Bowl this past season.

It's a never ending cycle, regardless of how long a fan you've been, if you are a newbie or bandwagoner who doesn't quite know the game fully, whatever. It's just one of those things that is a part of life that's always going to be there and I can't really do aynthing about it or control so there's not much point in it ruining my day.

I can take ragging from fans all day. Doesn't bother me. As long as people don't try to initiate by throwing hands with me or throw debris at me and as long as they aren't ruining the fan experieneces of others around them while I'm at a game (i.e. not considering family types and kids around, just constant slurs not knowing when to shut up when others can watch a game normally where noise naturally ebbs/flows, etc.), we'll always be good.

Well said but.... in our defense... Those of us complaining here are the Wings fans that actually live in Chicago. If you haven't been here in the past few months (especially living here) than you have nooo idea how bad these fans really are. Of everyone I know in Chicago, there is only ONE person who is a true Hawks fan, and he suffered right there with them several years ago, and I'm happy for him. But as for everyone else, they've been talking for so long (if you can call 6 months a long time) about how 'deserving' they all are of a cup, talking for months as though they had already won it, etc.

More irritating than the unfounded arrogance is the overall ignorance and lack of knowledge. I know you have to start somewhere, but it isn't hard to learn the game and players if you actually are watching the sport. The other day I was talking to a guy on the train wearing a brand new hawks hat. He was telling me how he'd "just DIE" if the Hawks didn't win. I asked him how long he's been a Hawks fan, he said his 'whole life'. I didn't believe him for a second and asked him to name me SEVEN players on his team. He could name four and former coach. That is just one small example of what we here in Chicago have had to endure, and I fear it is only a taste of what is yet to come.

For a while I was very proud to live right on Michigan Avenue, great view, great restaurants, park right there, lake close by.... Tomorrow its gonna be kinda obnoxious. /Rant. Congrats Hawks. <_<

Also to the last poster.... I would NOT say its 50/50 between the fans and the morons. I'd say more like 10/90. Not kidding.