• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jmr13

chicago-based wings fans

Rate this topic

Let me back up a bit. I pretty much stand by what I said earlier but I'll try to take a bit softer stance..

Of course it can get silly or irritating what's generally being described in this thread, but for every team there's a few idiot fans from Chicago making fun of Detroit, to Philly slamming on Pittsburgh in any sport or vice versa, to Los Angeles teams ragging on each other, whatever. There were probably plenty around that were making fun of Saints fans when we won our first Super Bowl this past season.

It's a never ending cycle, regardless of how long a fan you've been, if you are a newbie or bandwagoner who doesn't quite know the game fully, whatever. It's just one of those things that is a part of life that's always going to be there and I can't really do aynthing about it or control so there's not much point in it ruining my day.

I can take ragging from fans all day. Doesn't bother me. As long as people don't try to initiate by throwing hands with me or throw debris at me and as long as they aren't ruining the fan experieneces of others around them while I'm at a game (i.e. not considering family types and kids around, just constant slurs not knowing when to shut up when others can watch a game normally where noise naturally ebbs/flows, etc.), we'll always be good.

try going to a wings/hawks game up here in Chicago, and you will see what goes on...and yes...constant streams of slurs are present. Sadly, it doesn't seem to be just one bad apple doing it either...i think will plan ahead and travel the couple hours to detroit to see the games at home (since I have never seen such behavior occur there) perhaps a better all around experience

Well said but.... in our defense... Those of us complaining here are the Wings fans that actually live in Chicago. If you haven't been here in the past few months (especially living here) than you have nooo idea how bad these fans really are. Of everyone I know in Chicago, there is only ONE person who is a true Hawks fan, and he suffered right there with them several years ago, and I'm happy for him. But as for everyone else, they've been talking for so long (if you can call 6 months a long time) about how 'deserving' they all are of a cup, talking for months as though they had already won it, etc.

More irritating than the unfounded arrogance is the overall ignorance and lack of knowledge. I know you have to start somewhere, but it isn't hard to learn the game and players if you actually are watching the sport. The other day I was talking to a guy on the train wearing a brand new hawks hat. He was telling me how he'd "just DIE" if the Hawks didn't win. I asked him how long he's been a Hawks fan, he said his 'whole life'. I didn't believe him for a second and asked him to name me SEVEN players on his team. He could name four and former coach. That is just one small example of what we here in Chicago have had to endure, and I fear it is only a taste of what is yet to come.

For a while I was very proud to live right on Michigan Avenue, great view, great restaurants, park right there, lake close by.... Tomorrow its gonna be kinda obnoxious. /Rant. Congrats Hawks. <_<

Also to the last poster.... I would NOT say its 50/50 between the fans and the morons. I'd say more like 10/90. Not kidding.

Tomorrow is going to be awful and I'm not sure who came up with the parade route but I'm sure they did it just to piss me off. There's no reason it couldn't go down Columbus or S. Michigan where it would affect literally no one's commute into the Loop. Instead they're going from Wacker down Washington and N. Michigan essentially stopping any movement in the Loop for most of the morning, if not day. I know it has nothing to do with hockey or the team but thats my little parade rant.

But yes, as I've said before, I don't mind new fans at all, its good for the game. I do mind new fans that act like obnoxious deserving asses, thats not good for the game. I don't think true Hawks fans, and I know some really good ones who stuck with their team, should have to put up with these idiots ruining their name.

Edited by ChitownWingsfan

There is no between in congratulating the Hawks fans because I have never seen a more undeserving batch of dick riding bangwonitis having plugs in the hockey universe (see Penguins fans too). Went to a road game 2 years ago and it was the last game of the year and mostly was given a bunch of crap the whole game. Started talking hockey with most of them and they all quieted down thinking I was just on the bandwagon of the Wings?? I can't help I was born in '84 and have pretty much seen playoffs every year I have been alive. This Hawks thing is taken to another level, especially with the fact there has been absolutely no real love for hockey in that town. Trust me, its the Bears and the Cubs I have been there many times. I mean the rant is about done and I will do it til the end of my days. No one shall or has to convince little old me that they "love" their Hawks. I know what its about this year. Purchased title and thats all there is to it. Enjoy Hawks players and long time Hawks fans (all 20,000 of ya in the city). All others kindly remove your head from your ass and now switch roles the drought is done you can start caring in another 40 years. /end of rant

Edited by HankthaTank

I'm living there doin that, all of my friends who I never knew liked hockey were suddenly fans last year and this year, and when I make fun of them they vehemently deny being bandwagoners. I always ask them funny things like "Who is Martin Lapointe?", they always show their true knowledge with that question. Got a hawks fan you hate? Ask em that, then laugh at them some more.

I remember the back to back cup wins and let me tell you, I absolutely HATED most of the "fans" that the Wings brought in.

I don't judge the long time cawks fans, I actually feel their pain with all the noofans, but... When asked, I'm sure all the s***cago fans are long term fans. LOL

Tomorrow is going to be awful and I'm not sure who came up with the parade route but I'm sure they did it just to piss me off. There's no reason it couldn't go down Columbus or S. Michigan where it would affect literally no one's commute into the Loop. Instead they're going from Wacker down Washington and N. Michigan essentially stopping any movement in the Loop for most of the morning, if not day. I know it has nothing to do with hockey or the team but thats my little parade rant.

But yes, as I've said before, I don't mind new fans at all, its good for the game. I do mind new fans that act like obnoxious deserving asses, thats not good for the game. I don't think true Hawks fans, and I know some really good ones who stuck with their team, should have to put up with these idiots ruining their name.

Okay, the parade doesn't go by my building afterall! Hooray, now THAT'S a reason to celebrate. Sorry about your commute though. I still can't decide if I want to go check out the parade or not. There might be beer...

Okay, the parade doesn't go by my building afterall! Hooray, now THAT'S a reason to celebrate. Sorry about your commute though. I still can't decide if I want to go check out the parade or not. There might be beer...

Yeah, here's the route - http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/redeye-wrigleyville/2010/06/blackhawks-parade-rally-set-for-friday.html and I doubt there will be beer, though Daley is sure to be drunk off his ass.

I'm not planning on hitting it up, instead I'll be hiding under my desk doing this . . .

stewie-in-shock.gif

I have simply had enough of listening to the bandwagon Blackhawks fans the last few weeks. Perhaps when they have a few more cups they can come talk to us then. Now I get the distinct pleasure of listening to their car horns all night long. Where were these people a year or two ago when the blackhawks were practically begging people to purchase tickets?

Thanks for starting this topic as I was going to start one similar to it. Simply enough, the majority are band wagoners. I'm aware the Wings have had their share but any arena that you could hear crickets at less than two years ago means either they cleaned the dust on their jerseys or they probably still have the tags on them.

Let me back up a bit. I pretty much stand by what I said earlier but I'll try to take a bit softer stance..

Of course it can get silly or irritating what's generally being described in this thread, but for every team there's a few idiot fans from Chicago making fun of Detroit, to Philly slamming on Pittsburgh in any sport or vice versa, to Los Angeles teams ragging on each other, whatever. There were probably plenty around that were making fun of Saints fans when we won our first Super Bowl this past season.

It's a never ending cycle, regardless of how long a fan you've been, if you are a newbie or bandwagoner who doesn't quite know the game fully, whatever. It's just one of those things that is a part of life that's always going to be there and I can't really do aynthing about it or control so there's not much point in it ruining my day.

I can take ragging from fans all day. Doesn't bother me. As long as people don't try to initiate by throwing hands with me or throw debris at me and as long as they aren't ruining the fan experieneces of others around them while I'm at a game (i.e. not considering family types and kids around, just constant slurs not knowing when to shut up when others can watch a game normally where noise naturally ebbs/flows, etc.), we'll always be good.

You don't watch too many Hawks vs Wings games at the United Center then I take it?

Thanks for starting this topic as I was going to start one similar to it. Simply enough, the majority are band wagoners. I'm aware the Wings have had their share but any arena that you could hear crickets at less than two years ago means either they cleaned the dust on their jerseys or they probably still have the tags on them.

You don't watch too many Hawks vs Wings games at the United Center then I take it?

I'm from the New Orleans area and have only been to Chicago twice in my life so nope.

well being that I am obviously not a long time chicago resident (I have only lived here a few years now) I have made it to a enough games at the United Center to realize that it is not just a couple of bad apples at the game...more like a trend. As mentioned before, I think I will schedule around my work here and make the drive to see the wings at home. Perhaps this way I wont have to endure drunk early twenty-somethings dumping beer on me at the game. If you have not experienced this, I urge you to come to a game here and I think you'll see what I mean.

I just had to run the numbers. Average spot in attendance rankings from the 2001 season to the present for the Central division...

Wings 2.8

Blues 11.9

Jackets 17.4

Hawks 19.7

Preds 25.6

#1. Hockey does not belong in Tennessee

#2. With the Hawks being 1st in attendance rankings the past 2 seasons yet the second worst organization in attendance for the decade in the division in my mind points to quite a number of bandwagoners showing up to games now because it's the new "thing" to do. Just wait until their cap woes kick in starting next season. Those fans will move on to the Bulls or whatever the next big thing is.

This is going to be a looooong summer for us wings fans. Watching 20 cent score that goal was gross, apparently karma doesn't exist. O and the tigers lose 15-3 yesterday, and miggy strikes out with bases loaded in top of the 8th today as they go on to lose. Maybe the lions can beat the bears just once this year??

Where were the Red Wings fans in the mid 80s?

We don't seem like we've got many bandwagon fans because the team has been competitive for so long. But when the Wings were awful, the fans weren't there in Detroit either. It's not very much fun to support a terrible team for very long.

Right. I've been a Detroit fan since the 80's but what really got me interested in the Wings was when they started winning in the early 90's.

Winning is the best way to make fans.

Okay to be fair... today wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Not much gloating, not much celebrating, at least from the folks I was around... Could it be that their fanbase has already moved on? Hey they might get Lebron James!

Okay to be fair... today wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. Not much gloating, not much celebrating, at least from the folks I was around... Could it be that their fanbase has already moved on? Hey they might get Lebron James!

Or it could just be that it's been so long that they haven't won a cup that this generation just doesn't know how or if they have to celebrate when they win a stanley cup :rolleyes:

Come on Wings fans in chicago be classy give them some tips on how to celebrate you guys do have more experience then them. :clap:

The blackhawks wining and their bandwagon fans is the the third best thing that couldve happened for hockey and the second best thing that couldbe happened for the wings. id be so down for a renewed rivalry with the hawks and chicago is poised to become a huge hockey city. maybe our sport will grow a little and we can get off versus and on the espn with the big boys.

i wasnt born yet in the 80s how was redwing hockey back in the day?

i wasnt born yet in the 80s how was redwing hockey back in the day?

Rough.Well rough until the mid to late 80's anyway.

Edited by 2guns

"Has anyone mentioned the "Detroit Sucks" chant from the Chicago fans in Wachovia during the Hawks Cup skate? 'Cause there was one."

Nothing screams "We love our team" more than chanting a teams name you're not even playing against.... when your team wins the cup.

As much as this makes me wonder WTF is wrong with that teams fans, I find it pretty amazing that the Detroit Red Wings dominate the psyche of chicago blackhawks fans to that extreme.

GO WINGS!