• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
blues_demitra38

Toews: Most undeserving Conn Smyth winner in history?

Rate this topic

He had 3 goals all POs in 22 games. One in the finals, which is an improvement over last year. <_< He was all zeros across the board the last three games - which, imo, just re-emphasizes that he is not a clutch player. And don't spit out he does all the little things - he is paid to score. He's not a 4th line grinder. But whatever, some people seem to think it was OK that he floated around for 7 games of the finals last year with the Wings, and just dandy that he finally won. He rode along with three contending teams - and the odds finally paid off. IMO he was a HUGE part of costing the Wings a Cup so don't expect me to cheer for him - ever.

How does that make him a fraud? What exactly was the deception?

He had 3 goals all POs in 22 games. One in the finals, which is an improvement over last year. <_< He was all zeros across the board the last three games - which, imo, just re-emphasizes that he is not a clutch player. And don't spit out he does all the little things - he is paid to score. He's not a 4th line grinder. But whatever, some people seem to think it was OK that he floated around for 7 games of the finals last year with the Wings, and just dandy that he finally won. He rode along with three contending teams - and the odds finally paid off. IMO he was a HUGE part of costing the Wings a Cup so don't expect me to cheer for him - ever.

Hossa didn't "just float around" out there. No, he didn't score. But he was defensively solid and did create opportunities. If you want a floater, look no further than 20 cent. I lost count of how many times Kane coasted back defensively, and if he got hit or had the puck knocked off his stick he would just lazily get back into the play when he felt like it. His work ethic on the ice makes Robert Lang look like Darren Helm.

It's truly sad that so many people who claim to be big hockey fans are using points and +/- to evaluate a player's performance.

If you think Jonathan Toews wasn't good in the Finals, you either didn'nt watch the game, don't understand the game, or are biased and bitter.

Toews is the type of player that doesn't need to score points to be the most dominant player on the ice.

Toews won more faceoffs than he lost in every Final game.

Toews won 60.2% of his faceoffs in the playoffs, tops among forwards who had at least 225 faceoffs.

Toews took 460 faceoffs, tops in the league. He took 33.7% of the Blackhawks' faceoffs.

Toews was 7th in the playoffs in shorthanded time on ice.

Toews led all forwards in the playoffs with 32 takeaways. He had just 9 giveaways, for a +23 differential that tied with Dave Bolland for best in the playoffs.

He had just 4 penalty minutes in 22 playoff games.

But yeah, let's give it to Byfuglien, who was minus 4 in the postseason. Or Keith, who turns the puck over in his own zone 3 times a period.

Hossa didn't "just float around" out there. No, he didn't score. But he was defensively solid and did create opportunities.

All I could do was shake my head and laugh when I saw a poster in this thread earlier call Hossa a "fraud" who "is just along for the ride.

Hossa is exactly the same as Toews, in that these guys don't need to get the points to be dominant on the ice. Throughout the postseason, Hossa was the second best forward on the Blackhawks.... and I don't think it was really close at all.

Hossa only played 57 games in the regular season, yet ended the season with the highest plus/minus of any player on the Hawks (+24).

No, he didn't score the goals in the playoffs, but this guy generated something every single time he touched the puck in the offensive zone, and was all over the ice at all times.

It's just sad that people still don't understand that point totals don't tell the story when it comes to players like Toews and Hossa. If anything, look at his plus/minus, which was +7 in the postseason.

From TSN :

Jonathan Toews has joined the Triple Gold Club.

With the Chicago Blackhawks' Stanley Cup triumph on Wednesday night, Toews now has a Cup plus gold medals at an Olympics and an IIHF world championship.

The 22-year-old was a member of Canada's gold medal team at the 2007 worlds in Moscow and was a key member of the team that won gold at the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver.

He becomes the 24th member of the exclusive club and the seventh Canadian behind Rob Blake, Joe Sakic, Brendan Shanahan, Scott Niedermayer, Chris Pronger and Eric Staal. Staal joined this year when he won Olympic gold.

Team Canada coach Mike Babcock became the first coach in the club with the victory in Vancouver.

All I could do was shake my head and laugh when I saw a poster in this thread earlier call Hossa a "fraud" who "is just along for the ride.

Hossa is exactly the same as Toews, in that these guys don't need to get the points to be dominant on the ice. Throughout the postseason, Hossa was the second best forward on the Blackhawks.... and I don't think it was really close at all.

Hossa only played 57 games in the regular season, yet ended the season with the highest plus/minus of any player on the Hawks (+24).

No, he didn't score the goals in the playoffs, but this guy generated something every single time he touched the puck in the offensive zone, and was all over the ice at all times.

It's just sad that people still don't understand that point totals don't tell the story when it comes to players like Toews and Hossa. If anything, look at his plus/minus, which was +7 in the postseason.

Entitled to your opinion. I maintain mine that he's a huge fraud. Four teams in three years - something's not right.

If he is go great like you make him out to be - how could we have lost in the finals last year? Or Pitt the year before?

He may be a great asset during the regular season - but he is not a clutch player you can rely on. His disappearing act last year in the whole 7 game series was the worst I've seen from a player who is supposed to be elite - and I've seen many disappearing acts in my time.

But whatever, some people like the guy for some reason. As a lifelong Red Wings fan - I never will. He cost us - and that's not forgiveable in my book.

It's truly sad that so many people who claim to be big hockey fans are using points and +/- to evaluate a player's performance.

If you think Jonathan Toews wasn't good in the Finals, you either didn'nt watch the game, don't understand the game, or are biased and bitter.

Toews is the type of player that doesn't need to score points to be the most dominant player on the ice.

Toews won more faceoffs than he lost in every Final game.

Toews won 60.2% of his faceoffs in the playoffs, tops among forwards who had at least 225 faceoffs.

Toews took 460 faceoffs, tops in the league. He took 33.7% of the Blackhawks' faceoffs.

Toews was 7th in the playoffs in shorthanded time on ice.

Toews led all forwards in the playoffs with 32 takeaways. He had just 9 giveaways, for a +23 differential that tied with Dave Bolland for best in the playoffs.

He had just 4 penalty minutes in 22 playoff games.

But yeah, let's give it to Byfuglien, who was minus 4 in the postseason. Or Keith, who turns the puck over in his own zone 3 times a period.

seeing these 2 posts back to back made me laugh... i could really care less arguing about hossa, but the irony was too much for me to pass up...