• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Drake_Marcus

Red Wings Sign Doug Janik to 2 year deal

Rate this topic

Note that this is intended to provide competition for the 6th defensemen spot in training camp as well as provide depth in GR for call-up purposes since all the mature defensive prospects down there are gone.

Article by Ansar Khan

DETROIT -- The Detroit Red Wings signed defenseman Doug Janik to a two-year contract and officially parted ways with forward Jason Williams on Wednesday.

And getting forward Todd Bertuzzi re-signed is proving to be more difficult than many expected.

Janik, 30, is a stay-at-home defender who has decent size (6-foot-2, 210) and provides some grit.

He had no goals, two assists and a minus-3 rating in 13 games for the Red Wings last season. He played in 66 games for the Grand Rapids Griffins, picking up six goals, 31 assists, 84 penalty minutes and a plus-4 rating.

Janik will compete for a roster spot in training camp and the preseason. His deal is two-way for the first year (lower salary in the minors) and one-way the second year (NHL salary only).

"We liked him in Grand Rapids,'' Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. "He's a real leader, a competitor, safe, dependable. He'll kill penalties.

"He gives us good depth. We'll see what he can do in training camp. We think we'll have good competition. You need more than seven defensemen over the course of 82 games.''

The Red Wings still intend to sign one more defenseman to a one-way deal. Their options include Andreas Lilja or a low-priced free agent.

Holland said he had not yet decided whether to offer Brett Lebda a contract, but that doesn't appear likely.

The Red Wings have made a two-year contract offer to Bertuzzi. He earned $1.5 million in 2009-10, when he contributed 18 goals and 26 assists in 82 games. But he might have to take a lower average salary to return.

"We have interest in him coming back. I think he's interested in coming back,'' Holland said. "But it's a cap world. We only have so much to offer.''

The Red Wings have 17 players signed for $52.3 million. The salary cap is expected to be in the $58 million range.

The Red Wings still have five restricted free agents to sign: forwards Darren Helm, Justin Abdelkader, Patrick Eaves and Drew Miller and defenseman Derek Meech.

If Bertuzzi, 35, explores the market July 1, the Red Wings likewise will look for a replacement.

"Some of these things go to June 30,'' Holland said. "It's a business for both sides. Both sides have decisions to make. Until you get a deal, you keep talking.''

Bertuzzi's agent, Pat Morris, hasn't responded to messages seeking comment.

Holland said he told Williams, 29, on Wednesday that he won't be offered a new contract.

The club signed Williams to a one-year deal last summer, hoping he could provide 15-to-20 goals. But he broke his fibula Nov. 7, missed 38 games and never made an impact once he returned to the lineup.

He had six goals and nine assists in 44 games and was a healthy scratch for most of the playoffs, appearing in only three games (no points).

The Red Wings haven't decided whether to offer forward Kirk Maltby a contract.

Holland said restricted free-agent defensemen Ole-Kristian Tollefsen will be tendered a qualifying offer. He had one point (a goal) and 44 penalty minutes in 16 games with the Griffins after being acquired from the Philadelphia Flyers for Ville Leino on Feb. 6.

Cant wait to see Janik playing some minutes for us, maybe he can start to add back some of that grit we've been lacking. I hate seeing our guys getting molested and facewashed in our own crease...its embarrassing. Im figuring he'll play 20 games by season end.....with about 12-14 pts. that would be nice....and a few fights too.

Im surprised that Tuzz is still in negotations....was hoping that they would tie up the loose ends a little quicker. I think he wants a little more money, just another couple 100k or so. WE NEED TO SIGN ABBY AND HELM!!! Its a must! Grit, speed, tenacity and non stop hustle...we need that bad. Eaves and Miller, I like em and I think they'll probably sign.

Now whether or not we should keep one or both, or neither......eh, I dont know. As for Meech...its probably game over as far as the Wings are concerned, even though I liked him. Malts is gonna "Retire" and Ole.....Ole can play in GR.

And thank god J-Will is gone....for the last time.

Edited by NotTooAbby

Cant wait to see Janik playing some minutes for us, maybe he can start to add back some of that grit we've been lacking. I hate seeing our guys getting molested and facewashed in our own crease...its embarrassing. Im figuring he'll play 20 games by season end.....with about 12-14 pts. that would be nice....and a few fights too.

Im surprised that Tuzz is still in negotations....was hoping that they would tie up the loose ends a little quicker. I think he wants a little more money, just another couple 100k or so. WE NEED TO SIGN ABBY AND HELM!!! Its a must! Grit, speed, tenacity and non stop hustle...we need that bad. Eaves and Miller, I like em and I think they'll probably sign.

Now whether or not we should keep one or both, or neither......eh, I dont know. As for Meech...its probably game over as far as the Wings are concerned, even though I liked him. Malts is gonna "Retire" and Ole.....Ole can play in GR.

And thank god J-Will is gone....for the last time.

Abby should be easy to re-sign as he struggled to make an impact on the score sheet while in Detroit. For a guy with his upside that will hurt negotiations a bit. He'd have a better case for a raise if he didn't struggle to score in the NHL since his AHL numbers were very good.

Helm shouldn't be tough to re-sign, although the fact that he scored 10 goals in his rookie season will entitle him to a raise. People shouldn't expect Helm to be a scorer in the future, though, as the key factors in his goals are hustle, forcing mistakes with his speed and being willing to go hard to the net. Another year in the league won't change those much since he doesn't have much in the way of offensive talent. It sucks that he doesn't have hands because he'd be a force out there if he did.

As long as Abdelkader and Helm are resigned, I would be happy. Getting Bertuzzi in at the right price prior to June 30, I am okay with too. I am kind of blah about Bert. I am always curious to see what else is out there, if one of these guys gets to picky or wants to drag their feet. I wouldn't mind a solid pick up like Ray Whitney for under a mil. for a year.

I'm pretty keen on the Wings retaining Miller and Eaves too. They weren't terribly impressive in the playoffs but both had strong regular seasons. I'd like to see Eaves get some top 6 time in the right situations just to keep his confidence up. But 11 goals from a shot-blocking grit guy is great production.

Williams will most be remembered for:

- His stupid cross-check to the back of an Oiler in game 6 of the 2006 Playoffs, which led to a PP goal, and all of the momentum that led to the collapse of the season. Yzerman then skated off the ice, never to play again.

- Having his face mutilated by Raffi Torres.

- Missing the net in overtime of game 3 to send the Sharks on a 2-on-1 with Thornton and Marleau. Are you KIDDING me???

He must have improved play in Grand Rapids this season over the course of the season. He played well in his call up this season and will probably see some time called up or maybe even as the 7th guy. They must be fairly high on him to give him a one way deal in his next season. Its good Janik plays a lot like Lilja, fights too which I like obviously.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Williams will most be remembered for:

- His stupid cross-check to the back of an Oiler in game 6 of the 2006 Playoffs, which led to a PP goal, and all of the momentum that led to the collapse of the season. Yzerman then skated off the ice, never to play again.

- Having his face mutilated by Raffi Torres.

- Missing the net in overtime of game 3 to send the Sharks on a 2-on-1 with Thornton and Marleau. Are you KIDDING me???

They really need to make a +5 button

I'm pretty keen on the Wings retaining Miller and Eaves too. They weren't terribly impressive in the playoffs but both had strong regular seasons. I'd like to see Eaves get some top 6 time in the right situations just to keep his confidence up. But 11 goals from a shot-blocking grit guy is great production.

As good as he is at being a shot-blocking grit guy, i think he has the potential to be a consistent 3rd liner, maybe even a 2nd liner if there are injuries. The guy has a WICKED wrister, and i would love to see him put into a more offensive role. dont get me wrong, hes done a great job at what the wings brought him in for, but when i first heard we signed him i thought was hoping we were going to be getting the type of player that the sens drafted 29th overall. Hopefully he will get some good 3rd line minutes this season with the departure of williams, and lack of free agent signings sure to come. Hopefully Abby Helm and Draper can make up the 4th line and eaves can stick on the 3rd. Id love to see him have a 20 goal season like hes capable of.

So what's the policy on Janik's contract in regards to waivers and all that jazz?

thats what i am interested in. i know there is a clause that allows people to be waiver exempt if their ahl salary is low enough and they have some certain games played threshold met. most folks think 2-way contract means waiver exemption but thats not the case. if he isn't waiver exempt, then the 2-way just saves the wings some cash.

Guest mindfly

Boring kenny Holland.. just boring... i guess there won't be a new UFA signing in july to battle for that 6th spot

Boring kenny Holland.. just boring... i guess there won't be a new UFA signing in july to battle for that 6th spot

From the quote in the original post:

"The Red Wings still intend to sign one more defenseman to a one-way deal. Their options include Andreas Lilja or a low-priced free agent."

So there's still some hope in that direction.

Guest mindfly

Lilja can go somewhere else with his head, he won't engage in the same way or fight after the weber-fight.. so he's useless, i thought he weren't as effective on the pk after his comeback either

This is more an AHL signing then anything. (I minused you for being annoying)

Minus for you for living in scouser land

Edited by mindfly

thats what i am interested in. i know there is a clause that allows people to be waiver exempt if their ahl salary is low enough and they have some certain games played threshold met. most folks think 2-way contract means waiver exemption but thats not the case. if he isn't waiver exempt, then the 2-way just saves the wings some cash.

He does need to clear waivers, but I wouldn't expect anyone to claim him. The two-way deal (assuming AHL salary is under $110k) does make him exempt from recall waivers though. Teams are more likely to claim someone on recall, since the cap hit is split between the two teams.