• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

After a couple years of putting up with a less than stellar selection of games for the Wii, I finally caved and started researching info on the PS3 slim and Xbox 360. My roommate last year had a 360 and he heard that they have a tendency to overheat, so he also bought an additional fan for it. Nevertheless, he got RROD in a little less than a year. Fortunately, Microsoft was cordial about the whole thing (ie it was free to get a replacement 360, and they gave him a month of Live for free), but it was still inconvenient to go the three to four weeks without a gaming system.
The PS3 slim is similarly priced, has blu-ray, and free online support, so I have been leaning towards getting a slim. However after doing a bit of research online, it seems that the slim isn't so reliable either, as a number of folks have said that the system dies just after the warranty ends, and Sony charges $150 for repairs. This doesn't sit well with me.
The games that I'm interested in purchasing are available on both systems so that isn't really going to influence my decision. I'm mostly looking for input from you guys who have had experience with one or both of these systems and can attest to some of the stories floating around the web.

Ultimately, if you could get a full refund for your system and buy the other one, would you?

#2 IrishWing19

IrishWing19

Token Irishman

• PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:22 AM

Personally, I've had my 360 for 2 years and have had no trouble with it, the newer models are much more reliable than the ones released at the launch. Kind of depends what games you like to play, and how much you care about graphics etc. Also, look at each system's exclusive titles, would you prefer to play Halo, Mass Effect & Alan Wake on Xbox or Killzone and Heavy Rain on the PS3.
The majority of cross platform games tend to look better on the 360 and have less issues like slow down etc. A good example is the recent Bayonetta, the 360 version was well received but the PS3 version got a lot of stick for being a poor port.
In the end I'd look at the selection of games and whatever console has the ones that you want to play the most, go for that one.

#3 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:36 AM

I have both a 360 and a PS3 Slim. I've had the 360 for years, and have had nothing but annoincess (is that even a word lol) with it and problems. Some of my issues are:

1. ITS LOUD, the fans are obnoxious and it really bugs me.
2. It does overheat, gets pretty hot. (I as well have the cooling fan on it, it doesn't help at all)
3. RROD, happend one time, and was a huge inconvience. Happend RIGHT BEFORE Christmas, so I was out of a game system for litterally a month.
4. Xbox live is a rip, paying all that money.

So being annoyed greatly after a few years of having a 360 I bought a PS3. (That and I am becoming anti-microsoft, I am MAC user, hate anyting Microsoft) Main reason was I wanted a blu-ray player and figured why not spend the extra $50-$75 and get a PS3. I've had my PS3 since October 2009 and I cant praise it or talk good about it enough. It has everything going for it.

1. Better graphics
2. Wireless controllers are light in weight and recharge via USB (360 requires batterys or buying the extra recharge pack)
3. Free Online
4. Its Sony, always top notch products
4. Free online gaming
5. Its very quite, doesn't get hot.
6. Blu-ray
7. Built in wirless internet (xbox you need to purchase the wirless attachment)
8. Everything connects via blue tooth
9. Online web browser (I don't use it much but its cool to go on that if you have a large tv and wanna pullup youTube etc.)

Etc etc etc...
I could go on and on. I would so go back in time and get all my money back for my 360 and games and all that if I could just have PS3. I suppose its nice to have both for the platform specific games, but any game that is universal, I most definetly buy on the PS3. In my opionion its a no brainer on what people should pick. I was an xbox/ xbox360 fan boy but those days are over, and I will continue with the Playstation's for years to come. Hope this helps some, feel free to ask anything you still might be curious about.

Posted Image

#4 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:46 AM

How often do each of you play your systems? Its reassuring to hear that you haven't had any problems with the ps3slim, although it hasn't been out for a whole year yet. I'm also glad to hear that it stays cooler than the xbox. From what I gathered online, one of the main issues that caused RROD on 360s was that the heat dissipated would ruin one of the soldering joints.
The main games I'm interested in are CODMW2, Battlefield Bad Company II, NHL10, NHL11, FFXII, and FFXIII, which I believe are all available on both systems.

#5 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,753 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:53 AM

What's wrong with board games like Monopoly?

Kids these days <_<

:hehe:

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#6 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

Edited by Finnish Wing, 11 June 2010 - 11:31 AM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#7 IrishWing19

IrishWing19

Token Irishman

• PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 04:09 PM

How often do each of you play your systems? Its reassuring to hear that you haven't had any problems with the ps3slim, although it hasn't been out for a whole year yet. I'm also glad to hear that it stays cooler than the xbox. From what I gathered online, one of the main issues that caused RROD on 360s was that the heat dissipated would ruin one of the soldering joints.
The main games I'm interested in are CODMW2, Battlefield Bad Company II, NHL10, NHL11, FFXII, and FFXIII, which I believe are all available on both systems.

Almost daily, not just for games, I use it for watching movies and TV shows too. All those games you listed (apart from FFXII which is a PS2 games) are cross platform so you should have no problem there.

#8 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

I go through spurts. Where I play everyday to not playing for a few weeks. Lateley with all the new good games coming out ( Red Dead Redemption and Tiger Woods11) I play a couple hours a day or every other day. When I bought my PS3 Slim I had done no research on it and wasn't even aware it was a newly released system when I bought it. I bought it like I said for the fact of blu ray and figured I'd spend the extra $50-$75. And well I am totally glad I did!!!!!! Yes mine doesn't seem t heat up what so ever, nor have any problems at all. I own CODMW2 and NHL10 for PS3, both are amazing!!!! Of course I'll be getting NHL11 as well. Whichever route you go though all the games you mentioned are available on both systems!!!

Posted Image

#9 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 05:03 PM

Even though I am not a Microsoft fan or really like there products, here is something to consider for the 360...

http://www.engadget....ay-looks-angul/

Also PS3,

http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1094682p1.html

PS3 right now is also making bigger versions of its harddrive. I couldn't find any good articles on it though.

Posted Image

#10 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 08:52 PM

Even though I am not a Microsoft fan or really like there products, here is something to consider for the 360...

http://www.engadget....ay-looks-angul/

Also PS3,

http://ps3.ign.com/a.../1094682p1.html

PS3 right now is also making bigger versions of its harddrive. I couldn't find any good articles on it though.

Thanks for the info, although I really want to buy from Best Buy to get an extended warranty (so hopefully this isn't limited to Amazon). Maybe they'll be willing to throw in Little Big Planet and a HDMI cord for 50 more bucks.

Edited by Echolalia, 14 June 2010 - 08:53 PM.

#11 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:40 PM

I have a 360 cause my friends play it and cause I hate ps3 controllers.

I have no clue which is better but I do know the 360 has a better online communitty.
Posted Image

#12 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 11:18 AM

I have a 360 cause my friends play it and cause I hate ps3 controllers.

I have no clue which is better but I do know the 360 has a better online communitty.

The "better online community" comment is so irrealtive. When you are speaking in volumes of millions of people you don't notice that Xbox360's online community has more people. Like I said I have both systems, and I don't notice any issues with online play, and PS3's is FREEEEEE!

Posted Image

#13 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

I went through this last year. It's hard to find a really good debate over which one is better. Usually the fanboys come out in droves.

I settled on a PS3 and I'm glad I did. Whereas XBOX360 seems to be declining fast, the PS3 is on the way up. PS3 is building an excellent catalog of games of all kinds.

PS3's online is free. The only difference that I've heard is that the online community is smaller for PS3. That was a year ago and PS3 sales have been doing amazing I think so I imagine the online community is growing. I haven't noticed it as a problem for me. I can always find people to play online easily.

XBOX has a 50%+ fail rate. PS3 has something like 3%. If you're investing the PS3 is the better option, especially since it includes a blu-ray player. The movie rentals are a bit pricey (3.99ish) but come in handy on cold, snowy winter days when you don't want to trek out to the video store or a Redbox.

Honestly, I'd go with the PS3 if you want the multimedia functionality. The only real downside I've noticed is that none of my friends have PS3. They all bought XBOX 360 before the PS3 came out. So I have to resort to playing strangers for online play. Still fun, though.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#14 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,185 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:50 PM

I bought a ps3 this weekend and I've loved every minute of it. One thing I don't like is that I can't play music from the harddrive while games are playing. Other than that, I've really enjoyed having it.

#15 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hey guys! I really hate Sony but let me give you my objective opinion on the PS3. :hehe:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#16 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

Man, PS3 is just becoming so useful. I don't have a 3D TV but the fact that I won't ever need to go out and buy a 3d blu-ray player when I eventually get one is awesome. The only advantage XBOX would have over PS3 at this point is Halo (a single game...not a great idea to buy a system for a single game) and the Kinect will probably be better than the PSMove. However, if someone doesn't have a Wii the Move would be a big selling point for PS3.

I know you already selected, thought I'd just post again about how I keep finding more uses for my PS3.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#17 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 10:52 AM

I'm forever a pc guy and the last console I owned was a Coleco Vision(yeah yeah, get off my lawn ya punks). The problem with pc's as I'm sure most of you know is how fast they become outdated. So instead of constantly upgrading or replacing my computer I knew a console for gaming was the way I had to go, finally. So my recommendation is one sided to say the least and my choice was from reviews and the like.

Much like the OP I've been trying to figure out which way to go. In the end it was the blu-ray player that put me over the top. I'm a Netflix user and for 2 bucks you can upgrade to a blu-ray subscription. I just watched my first BR movie and I can say it was something to see. If they ever figure out how to stream BR I'd be in heaven.

The wireless access is great and having a web browser for the tv is very nice. It's too clumsy to use for long stretches but it's no cost.

Recharging the controller by a USB port is also nice, as opposed to batteries/buying a charger for xbox. I've never used an Xbox controller so I can't compare the 2. I can say I'm lost w/o my mouse but I'm getting better with the controller.

The only downfall I can see is I'm now in my dreaded "need to buy another game" stage. I went through this with every computer I bought through the years so it was anticipated when I got the ps3. With continued therapy I learned that it will pass, usually not fast enough, but pass it will.

A perfect world you can afford both, I can't so in the end it was the BR player that nailed the choice for me.

Also: Can anyone tell me how they(Sony) get away with selling a blu-ray console that won't play BR movies correctly w/o spending an additional 40 dollars on a HDMI cable? That seems like some sort of RICO violation there. It's a racket for sure.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#18 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 11:19 AM

Also: Can anyone tell me how they(Sony) get away with selling a blu-ray console that won't play BR movies correctly w/o spending an additional 40 dollars on a HDMI cable? That seems like some sort of RICO violation there. It's a racket for sure.
[/quote]

Didn't it come with one? I can't remember if mine did or not. At any rate, you can get an HDMI cable for 10 bucks online. If you buy one in the store they are marked up WAY too high. I'm not technie enough, but isn't HDMI the only way the quality of the BR can be preserved?

#19 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Didn't it come with one? I can't remember if mine did or not. At any rate, you can get an HDMI cable for 10 bucks online. If you buy one in the store they are marked up WAY too high. I'm not technie enough, but isn't HDMI the only way the quality of the BR can be preserved?

It did not come with one. I didn't know this when I bought it and rather than wait for any online purchase to get here I sucked it up and got one. and apparently overpaid for it. Without the cable all the games I played and movies I watched only used the middle 2/3 of my 36" screen. So yeah you need it to get the correct aspect ratio. Once I got the cable I restarted the games I played from the beginning because the difference was startling.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#20 TeeMan

TeeMan

Victory will be Hockeytown

• PipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 04:12 PM

I was a PS guy tell the Xbox came out and all my friends got one. So I got an Xbox too. Yes spending Cash for levels in a game, seem silly after you already bought the game. Buy I like it. With the new PS3. I don't know about the move thing. Seems like Wii did that 6 years ago. Come on and get with the times. Xbox is going to leave the PS3 in the dust for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users