• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
oldredbarnman

Former Wings Coach Dies

Rate this topic

Bobby Kromm, who coached the Wings from 1977-1980, died Wednesday from complications of cancer. He was 82.

In his first year as coach, Kromm led the Wings to a 37 point improvement from the previous season, and their first playoff appearance in 8 years. He won the Jack Adams trophy as coach of the year, and helped bring excitement back to the Olympia with a playoff series victory over Atlanta, before falling to Montreal in 5 games.

He also coached the Winnipeg Jets to the Avco Cup in 1976, and was an assistant coach for team Canada in the 1976 Canada Cup.

Guest CaliWingsNut

Is there a way to blame this on the Hawks?

(not to mean disrespect, RIP)

RIP, I don't know anything really about him, I wasn't born yet but any coach that coaches Detroit is a winner.

I remember when Kromm was brought in. I think Larry Wilson, father of Ron Wilson, was coach at the time and it was thought that he would return as coach. But, Ted Lindsay, who was the GM said, he would not because they already had a new coach coming in, signed, sealed and, delivered. It was Bobby Kromm, fresh from the WHA and considered a really good coach, and, he was. Kromm got the Wings into the playoffs for the first time since 1970 and everybody thought this would be the beginning of the Wings turnaround. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way. It took new ownership another few years before the Wings would find success.