• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:49 AM

Is anyone else bored out of their mind and done with the "fun speculation" crap?

I'm VERY ready for 7/1 to get here already... not just for the Wings (as it actually probably won't have much - if any - effect on us anyway) but just for some excitement and substance instead of all the talking heads...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#2 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:55 AM

Is anyone else bored out of their mind and done with the "fun speculation" crap?

I'm VERY ready for 7/1 to get here already... not just for the Wings (as it actually probably won't have much - if any - effect on us anyway) but just for some excitement and substance instead of all the talking heads...

Yeah. Definitely not the Wings. Holland has basically said that IF he signs anyone it won't be until the dust settles (sometime after July 3) and all the expensive and overpriced players have signed before he goes digging for the right player.

Edited by rick zombo, 11 June 2010 - 07:56 AM.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#3 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:57 AM

Memo to Chicago
Re: July 1.
Just a samll reminder: birthday party going on in Canada on this date and most businesses will be closed. Try to get your contract offers out before that then. We wouldn't want to see someone be re-located to another position...again.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#4 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:02 AM

I'm interested, if only to see how the situation in Chicago is handled.
Also have hopes for a crazy hossa like moment for kovalchuk..I can dream right?

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#5 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:03 AM

Memo to Chicago
Just a samll reminder: birthday party going on in Canada on this date and most businesses will be closed. Try to get your contract offers out before that then. We wouldn't want to see someone be re-located to another position...again.

Memo to at least 5 Hawks players
K later

#6 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

Memo to at least 5 Hawks players
K later

yea, no kidding... I imagine we'll actually see them pull at least several trades at the draft...

Edited by stevkrause, 11 June 2010 - 08:13 AM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#7 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,814 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:05 AM

I honestly don't expect to see much happening with our beloved Red Wings come July 1st...I'm more interested in the draft, and whom the Wings pick.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#8 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:08 AM

I honestly don't expect to see much happening with our beloved Red Wings come July 1st...I'm more interested in the draft, and whom the Wings pick.

Agreed, and that wasn't really the point of the thread...

The draft will be interesting too, but usually the guys the Wings pick aren't very well known, so it's harder to get excited about the draft, as we won't really know what most of our picks are going to be, for at least 3 years... and for that reason, July 1st always intrigues me more

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#9 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:20 AM

Agreed, and that wasn't really the point of the thread...

The draft will be interesting too, but usually the guys the Wings pick aren't very well known, so it's harder to get excited about the draft, as we won't really know what most of our picks are going to be, for at least 3 years... and for that reason, July 1st always intrigues me more

I have a feeling that the climate is changing in Detroit's head office. I really think Holland and Nill are trying to find players they can fast-track to the NHL (at least when compared to their previous 5 year AHL Marination Plan)

#10 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:26 AM

I'm totally ready. Bring on the draft and the free agent frenzy!

Also, I am kinda excited for the NHL award ceremony.

Posted Image

#11 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,814 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

I have a feeling that the climate is changing in Detroit's head office. I really think Holland and Nill are trying to find players they can fast-track to the NHL (at least when compared to their previous 5 year AHL Marination Plan)

I honestly don't think Holland, and Nill will do anything different; they'll pick the most skilled guys regardless their size, or where they're from, and will let them mature at their own pace.

They'll fill in the holes via inexpensive UFAs.

#12 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:05 AM

I honestly don't think Holland, and Nill will do anything different; they'll pick the most skilled guys regardless their size, or where they're from, and will let them mature at their own pace.

They'll fill in the holes via inexpensive UFAs.

I agree with this more or less, but I think they're starting to focus on size more than they had in the past during the draft

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#13 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,814 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

I agree with this more or less, but I think they're starting to focus on size more than they had in the past during the draft

I certainly hope Holland/Nill focus more on size; I'm tired of seeing a team full of 5 feet somethings getting pushed around...Our D in particular can use some nastiness.

If what some scouts say is true of McIlrath (potential to be somewhere in between a Derian Hatcher, and Chris Pronger), and he's available - I hope he'll then be a Red Wing, but I won't hold my breath.

#14 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:12 AM

I rarely get bored with stuff in general because I'm always busy with work or other stuff at home or personally.

Sports wise at least, thankfully I have a temporary delay for yapping about wanting September and October to come for football and hockey again - I'll tune in a good bit to the World Cup presently and my alma mater has a shot at making the College World Series so that's also going on presently as well.

Free agency is cool, but I typically don't pay too much attention to it, just don't keep up with player personnel and the like all that well.

But overall, while I don't get bored or have "withdrawals" since I'm always occupied with something at work or personally pretty much, I do not like summer as there is barely jack squat to watch after NHL/NBA playoffs and Wimbeldon. Kudos if you do like baseball and the like, but that's just not my cup of tea really.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan, 11 June 2010 - 10:12 AM.

#15 Hockey Convert

Hockey Convert

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:20 AM

If what some scouts say is true of McIlrath (potential to be somewhere in between a Derian Hatcher, and Chris Pronger), and he's available - I hope he'll then be a Red Wing, but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah, I'm trying not get my hopes up too much; I suspect he'll be picked before the Wings get a chance. I liked the sound of a player like that, though, and think it would help.

#16 T-Ruff

T-Ruff

BAMF

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:36 AM

Agreed, this offseason is going to be great.

- Kovalchuk, Marleau, Volchenkov, Turco, etc UFAs
- The Blackhawks and the moves they will have to make
- Burke and the Leafs who will try to move Kaberle for some immediate impact player
- Some goalies who should be on the block: Thomas, one of Price/Halak, Harding, Huet
- Florida Panthers cleaning house (as the claimed they would)
and who knows what else

#17 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

Agreed, this offseason is going to be great.

- Kovalchuk, Marleau, Volchenkov, Turco, etc UFAs
- The Blackhawks and the moves they will have to make
- Burke and the Leafs who will try to move Kaberle for some immediate impact player
- Some goalies who should be on the block: Thomas, one of Price/Halak, Harding, Huet
- Florida Panthers cleaning house (as the claimed they would)
and who knows what else

agreed... whats up with your avatar and tagline though? is that a joke... it makes me physically ill to look at...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#18 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:57 AM

agreed... whats up with your avatar and tagline though? is that a joke... it makes me physically ill to look at...

Isn't that Dr. Evil from the Austin Powers movies? All Pierre needs is a hairless cat...

#19 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

I'm definitely excited for July 1.

I know that the aforementioned goalies will be on the block, but who is going to take them? Thomas, Price, and Huet are all over-priced. I just can't see them actually getting moved based on what they're getting paid for how they've performed lately. Having said that, I guess a change of scenery can be nice (see: some Finnish dude) and there are always GM's out there who are ready to make stupid moves.

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#20 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:06 AM

I'm definitely excited for July 1.

I know that the aforementioned goalies will be on the block, but who is going to take them? Thomas, Price, and Huet are all over-priced. I just can't see them actually getting moved based on what they're getting paid for how they've performed lately. Having said that, I guess a change of scenery can be nice (see: some Finnish dude) and there are always GM's out there who are ready to make stupid moves.

of the 3, I think Thomas and Price would be a decent gamble depending on the situation:
Thomas - A team BADLY in need of goaltending, where he'd be the guaranteed starter - I think that year was a down year for him and think he will bounce back
Price - A team with a strong defense and no goaltending, or a team with an aging netminder, who Price could relieve the load and take over as starter starting 2012, given he actually shows his potential and doesn't slide backwards... or a team with an uncertainty between the pipes

A great fit for Thomas, may be a team like Edmonton or NYI and a great for fit for Price may be a team like NJ or possibly even Wash or Tampa Bay

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here