• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MacK_Attack

Leafs changing jersey; naming Phaneuf captain

Rate this topic

I too like the 1960's retro 3rd jersey the best, but I gotta admit I like the Harold Ballard era jerseys as well :blush:

With all the jersey changes we've seen since the early 1990's - ya gotta believe the MLSE are reaping huge profits.

Jersey sales bottomed out the last couple years because everybody thought the "practice jersey" they've been using was ugly and there's been a lack of secure names to put on a jersey.

Phaneuf jerseys started flying off the shelves as soon as they got him, though.

Jersey sales bottomed out the last couple years because everybody thought the "practice jersey" they've been using was ugly and there's been a lack of secure names to put on a jersey.

Phaneuf jerseys started flying off the shelves as soon as they got him, though.

Is Phaneuf a locker room cancer? That's the hearsay but is it any true?

Is Phaneuf a locker room cancer? That's the hearsay but is it any true?

No, never been any indication of that in Toronto. The impression seems to be that his intensity, work ethic and expectations have brought about a level of accountability.

Agreed...Add the blue version for home games, and they're set.

Me thinks MLSE does alot of this knowing Maple Leaf fans will spend alot of $$$ every 3 to 5 years on a new set of jerseys.

I've read that the alternate will be replaced after this current season from a jersey from a different era in their past.

from a couple months ago:

http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/blogs/postedsports/archive/2010/03/30/leafs-considering-another-uniform-change.aspx

Tom Anselmi, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment's COO, said the organization is redesigning its third jersey, which currently is a throwback to the early 1960s. While he would not get into specifics, he said the team is looking at its rich history for ideas. Any change would not take effect until the 2011-12 season.

"It's premature to get into a lot of specifics," said Anselmi. "But we're going to change the third jersey. When you get into the Leafs history, it gets real fascinating. When you go back, there's all kinds of intricate changes."

No, never been any indication of that in Toronto. The impression seems to be that his intensity, work ethic and expectations have brought about a level of accountability.

That's a nice change of pace in TO.

Komisarek & Beauchemin

Over Phaneuf? Dion is certainly deserving of this, or at very least will show he is. He fits in perfect with what Toronto loves, smaller tuff as nails kind of guy. The Marketing boys will love this>Dion will have a key to the city in no time.

Edited by 13dangledangle

Think about this logically....

Mats Sundin will be succeeded by Dion Phaneuf.

Let that sink in now....

Clark then Gilmour then Sundin... then Phaneuf... Say whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat...

Only because 16 of 20 teams made the playoffs.

Exactly. It's the same reason Detroit made the playoffs most of the 80s.

As for Phaneuf wearing the C? It seems like a bad move to me, but honestly I don't have a lot of solid info to back it up. Just seems like not the best choice, but I know they're trying to get a fresh start there.

I may be in the minority here, but I think this is a good move by the Leafs. Kaberle would have been the first option, but his contract is up next year and even if he doesn't get traded this off-season, he likely will not re-sign in Toronto, and aside from Kessel, there are not really any players who have name recognition on the Leafs, and Phaneuf is young and under contract for 4 more years, that makes him as good a candidate for captain as they have. I don't know about the whole locker room cancer label he has gotten, unless people are referring to the pics of him chain-smoking in the Calgary locker room :hehe:

He may not be as good a player as his hype suggests, but I think this is a good move for the Leafs from a marketing and financial standpoint, the hockey aspect remains to be seen.

I always thought my boy Aki Berg was being groomed for Leaf captaincy, but sadly, they released him several years ago amidst rumors of subpar play.

Seriously :D

You have obviously studied Finnish hockey or something like that. How else you'd know legendary players like Aki Berg and Lasse Kukkonen.

Seriously :D

You have obviously studied Finnish hockey or something like that. How else you'd know legendary players like Aki Berg and Lasse Kukkonen.

Well, I know Aki Berg has been the butt end of Leafs fans jokes for years. That guy was a wonder to watch, especially when he fought. I know Kukkonen because I like the way his name sounds.

I'm actually becoming quite an expert on Finnish culture ever since I started watching Kaurismaki's movies. I may come visit you sometime. :D You and Mindfly on my Scandinavian voyage.