• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#61 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:29 PM

I don't know how ppl can say this is a bad move. The leafs have been captainless ever since Sundin left and it seems like there is absolutely noone taking leadership in that room.

Phaneuf is a young guy who has a norris nomination to his name, will lay his body on the line to win, sticks up for his teammates, and has the potential to be one of the better defenseman of his era.

He might be overhyped, but he is still a good player, people on this site refuse to acknowledge that for some reason because they don't like him. Noone knows how he is in the room so maybe he is a leader in the room as well.

Good choice by the leafs to finally name a captain.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#62 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:20 PM

I don't know how ppl can say this is a bad move. The leafs have been captainless ever since Sundin left and it seems like there is absolutely noone taking leadership in that room.

Phaneuf is a young guy who has a norris nomination to his name, will lay his body on the line to win, sticks up for his teammates, and has the potential to be one of the better defenseman of his era.

He might be overhyped, but he is still a good player, people on this site refuse to acknowledge that for some reason because they don't like him. Noone knows how he is in the room so maybe he is a leader in the room as well.

Good choice by the leafs to finally name a captain.

But is he really the guy you want dealing with the scrutiny of the Toronto media? He doesn't strike me as particularly intelligent or articulate, and can appear uncomfortable in interviews.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#63 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

IMHO the new Leaf sweaters look great...Since Fathers Day is right around the corner :rolleyes:

As for Dion not being the most comfortable in front of a room full of people - I kinda remember a fella with the initials S.Y. who kinda came across akward as well...What matters most is in the locker room, and on the ice.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#64 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

IMHO the new Leaf sweaters look great...Since Fathers Day is right around the corner :rolleyes:

As for Dion not being the most comfortable in front of a room full of people - I kinda remember a fella with the initials S.Y. who kinda came across akward as well...What matters most is in the locker room, and on the ice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that you need to be eloquent etc. to be a good leader - I was just raising the issue that he doesn't always seem comfortable in interviews, but will be the centre of huge media attention. It will be interesting to see how he reacts.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#65 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:37 PM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting that you need to be eloquent etc. to be a good leader - I was just raising the issue that he doesn't always seem comfortable in interviews, but will be the centre of huge media attention. It will be interesting to see how he reacts.

I hear ya - regardless how he plays the media in T.O. is relentless when it comes to the Leafs.

#66 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:47 PM

I hear ya - regardless how he plays the media in T.O. is relentless when it comes to the Leafs.

Any updates on which rookies he plans on keeping and which ones he wants to deal?
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#67 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,588 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:48 PM

Any updates on which rookies he plans on keeping and which ones he wants to deal?

Not following ya?

#68 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 04:36 PM

Plus, I'm sure most male Leaf fans will appreciate him brining Elisha Cuthbert around to games.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#69 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

I doubt anyone will have objections to that

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#70 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,909 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:28 PM

I doubt anyone will have objections to that

The third guy might.

#71 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,647 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:30 PM

The third guy might.

Posted Image

Edited by Hockeytown0001, 20 June 2010 - 05:31 PM.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#72 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:18 PM

So I heard on the radio today Burke thinks the Leafs can be contending for a Cup in 5 years... Realistically it's more like contending for a playoff spot in 5 years.

Burke is turning into one of those people, who when they talk, I just tune them out. He's full of it!
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#73 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:34 PM

Didn't take him too long to prove himself in Anaheim..

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#74 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,922 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

Didn't take him too long to prove himself in Anaheim..

Yea but the team was in place, all he had to do was make a few moves. He's starting from scratch in Toronto, and already pissed away two 1st round draft picks.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons