• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
germanwing

FIFA World Cup 2010

Rate this topic

Only got to see a little bit today but was pleasantly surprised to see Uruguay draw with France. I tend to hope for Mexico to do well but it was nice to see South Africa pick up a point today.

I want to see England win. I think Spain will win or Argentina if some how they can over come Maradona's lack of coaching ability.

Group A

France

Mexico

Group B

Argentina

Nigeria

Group C

England

Algeria(please)

Group D

Serbia

Germany(we will see about that one)

Group E

Netherlands

Cameroon

Group F

Italy

Paraguay

Group G

Brazil

Portugal or Ivory Coast(If Drogba plays well they may well move on.)

Group H

Spain

Chile

Edited by zettie85

what a weak goal to let USA back in it.

We havn't had a decent goalkeeper since 1998. As a goalkeeper myself, I have no idea what the hell Green did. He didnt get his body behind it and didnt even move his hands into the path of the ball. FFS.

I'll take it though! :) I really hope the US D steps up, and stops hanging Howard out to dry. (Kind of like another team with a goalie named Howard. ;))

We havn't had a decent goalkeeper since 1998. As a goalkeeper myself, I have no idea what the hell Green did. He didnt get his body behind it and didnt even move his hands into the path of the ball. FFS.

I can only imagine what kind of bad press he's going to get in England.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

Germany all the way!

looking forward to the game today against the aussies!

Korea's looking pretty good so far as well!

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

I can only imagine what kind of bad press he's going to get in England.

He got absolutely ripped to shreds on the front of every newspaper:

News of the World and the Sunday Mirror both reading "Hand of Clod", accompanied by a giant picture of Green.

Any England goalkeeper guilty of a clanger is given merciless treatment by the national newspapers, with international careers usually then brought to a shuddering halt.

"Cock-up keeper Green wrecks dream start," said the News of the World, adding: "Stars and tripe".

"Tainted Glove", said the Sunday Mirror. "Worst Howler Ever", said another headline.

"Calamity keeper Robert Green gifted one of the all-time blunder goals last night as the jinx of the England goalies struck again.

"Hapless Green somehow managed to parry the softest of soft strikes into the goal behind him. It was agonising to watch."

The Sunday Express meanwhile said of Green that "for all our sakes, he's got to go - now."

The Sunday Telegraph said Green's howler had "cost England dear".

The Mail on Sunday said it was a "nightmare start".

"There was endeavour aplenty and flashes of quality but a fragility remains at the core of the side," it added.

The Independent on Sunday said it was "one of those frustrating opening games the country often produces after all the build-up to a major tournament".

"An improvement will be required in the second game in Cape Town on Friday against Algeria."

The Sunday Times referenced the Deepwater Horizon oil rig, saying Green's error was "one disastrous spill the Yanks won't complain about".

It was a "howler that will haunt him for the rest of his career".

The broadsheet compared Green to a "pub cricketer misfielding on the boundary.

From The Guardian :

Organising committee chief executive Danny Jordaan said he would continue to monitor their use and that a ban could be enforced if there were "grounds to do so".

Fifa and organisers have already said that they will ban the instrument if any are thrown onto the pitch or used as a weapon and urged fans not to blow them during national anthems.

I was a goalkeper myself untll a position change bout a year ago, now im a striker.

Green made an awful error and i think it was all because of nerves. I remember reading thet Green suffered badly from nerves a few years ago and regulary vomited before games but aparently he got over it, I don't know about that.

England should start Hart i think, he is a very good confident keeper and definitly Englands best imo. I said two years ago Green should be starting but now he isn't as good as then and he had a bit of a dodgy season this season

If I flew half way around the world and bought a ticket to one of these games I would be furious right now.

I can barely tolerate the vuvuzela on TV. I can't imagine what the players and fans in the stadium are thinking.

God bless the Mute button.

Edited by puffy

the most referees did a very bad job up to now!

But if you have a look, where they come from, it makes sense:

Saudi Arabia

Malaysia

Mali

Benin

Seychelles (???)

Guatemala

El Salvador

Can´t understand, that there are not the best referees in the world at the World Cup!

http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/2-goals-that-were-for-us-and-1-that-wasnt--fbintl_ap-wcup-slovenia-us.html

...“Then I heard the whistle,” Edu said

Referee Koman Coulibaly of Mali had called it off.

Over and over, American players asked, “Why?”

In English. Then in French.

“He just ignored us,” Landon Donovan said. “Or he didn’t understand.”

Perhaps Coulibaly, working his first World Cup game, will never explain himself. By the rules, he doesn’t have to speak to the media on game days, and his next availability isn’t until Monday. Perhaps it will remain one of those unsolved soccer mysteries.

I watched the game, and this was just a horribly officiated game by Coulibaly. Making terrible decisions, like this one, and the yellow card given to Findley for an "intentional handball" when it clearly smacked him right in the head! Yellow cards were handed out like crazy, and I just don't know what to make of the whole thing. Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist, never have been, but this ref's decisions, his arrogance, not responding to the players, not to mention blowing the final whistle at least what, 2-3 minutes earlier than what the stoppage time was suppose to be leads me to believe that this game was more about politics than the actual game.

I'm not making excuses for how we played, because we shouldn't have been down 0-2 in the first half to lead to a comeback, but the overall feel of this game just felt out of place to me from what else was going on. I know soccer will never trump the other sports in our country, but the amount of coverage it is getting and the support the team is getting makes me think that it'll at least gain more attention. But if we don't get out of this group because of "what could have been" from this game, then the sport itself will just take another big hit again in the U.S., which I would hate to see because I do like the sport and wish it was covered more here.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

I'm watching Australia in their must win game against Ghana.

Got off to a good start, Harry Kewell just got an absolute joke of a red card. It's things like that which remind me why I can never seriously follow this sport, blah.

I'm watching Australia in their must win game against Ghana.

Got off to a good start, Harry Kewell just got an absolute joke of a red card. It's things like that which remind me why I can never seriously follow this sport, blah.

It was a red card. Handball on the line to stop a goal = Penalty and straight red card

It was a red card. Handball on the line to stop a goal = Penalty and straight red card

I can understand the penalty, but it was kicked into him from close range at high speed. No way it was an intentional handball.

There was absolutely nothing he could have done to avoid being hit by that ball.

Edited by crotty99