• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
germanwing

FIFA World Cup 2010

Rate this topic

I'm glad USA won today - they're so much more deserving to get to the next round than Slovenia. They have a great team spirit and play with pride - something that is actually lacking in some teams at the World Cup. (E.g., Les Bleus, who cheated their way to the WC and then couldn't be bothered...)

Also, Donovan is levels above most of his teammates in terms of ability. He's a real good player.

I'm glad USA won today - they're so much more deserving to get to the next round than Slovenia. They have a great team spirit and play with pride - something that is actually lacking in some teams at the World Cup. (E.g., Les Bleus, who cheated their way to the WC and then couldn't be bothered...)

Also, Donovan is levels above most of his teammates in terms of ability. He's a real good player.

I agree. I felt confident coming into this game that we had things figured out finally and we'd come away with a win. We had so many chances in the game that I thought we were bound to net one. Then time kept ticking down, with England's 1-0 lead in mind, and my stomach was in knots. It would be such a punch to the gut if this game ended in a tie and we couldn't advance, because they played their asses off and nothing seemed to go their way. Then just like that, Howard to Donovan to Jozy to Dempsey, then our hero Donovan with the instinct to keep on going, right place right time, in the nick of time. I'm so happy they pulled it off, now lets hope they can make a deep run, starting with Ghana.

I can't handle these games. I was just about ready to flip the channel...

USA has a great chance of getting to the Semis now. If they beat Ghana they would play the winner of Uruguay vs South Korea and we have a solid chance of beating all three of these teams.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Watch World Cup ratings on ESPN/ABC take a significant hit now that Team USA has been eliminated.

Pretty disappointing World Cup for the USA.

We only won 1 out of 4 games, and that was in the last minute against Algeria. Considering the mediocrity of the opposition, we should have finished better.

Instead, it doesn't look like America is any better at soccer now than it was in the last World Cup or the one before that.

Canada will make the World Cup of Soccer in 2026 and I am very excited about it!!! ;)

All our European immigrants are making 3+ babies, so the proper strategy is in place.

Edited by puffy

England were embarrassingly bad.

And Sepp Blatter and the lack of video technology is the big issue again. The smug, arrogant idiot that he is.

Even if England had got that goal today, Germany would have still beaten them. Much, much better team.

The revenge of 1966! :lol:

But we were very lucky, that the goal didn´t count!

@VanDer

You´re certainly lucky, that France has been eliminated in the first round! Me too!

Edited by germanwing

The revenge of 1966! :lol:

But we were very lucky, that the goal didn´t count!

@VanDer

You´re certainly lucky, that France has been eliminated in the first round! Me too!

Another goal that shouldnt have counted in the Argentina game. The officiating in this World Cup had been horrendous. So many games have been decided by wrong-calls on huge game changing goals.

Germany was the better team, there's no doubt.... but anything can happen when a game is tied. The thing that gets me, is it would be so easy to impliment such a simple review system for goals. FIFA is one of the strangest leagues out there.

Another goal that shouldnt have counted in the Argentina game. The officiating in this World Cup had been horrendous. So many games have been decided by wrong-calls on huge game changing goals.

Germany was the better team, there's no doubt.... but anything can happen when a game is tied. The thing that gets me, is it would be so easy to impliment such a simple review system for goals. FIFA is one of the strangest leagues out there.

:thumbup:

It's a joke sport, at the moment. I love the game, played it my whole life, but it's a complete joke with Sepp Blatter in charge. In tonight's Mexico v Argentina game, Argentina score an offside goal, and they show a replay in the stadium in seconds so that everybody can see that it should not count. But the officials, knowing that they're wrong, feel compelled to ignore it. "DURRR, we're not allowed to look at video technology! Sorry!" It's absolutely farcical.

It'll continue to be a joke sport until that odious, greedy cretin Blatter goes. (although they'll probably replace him with someone equally as bad). The only positive from these terrible decisions is that it might mean pressure for him to resign. After France hand-balled their way to the World Cup in the playoff against Ireland, everybody said they must introduce Video Technology before it ruins a major tournament. He ignored it. Hope he reaps what he has sown.

And people think Bettman and the NHL officiating is bad!

I honestly can't understand one bit why sepp blatter will not bring in goal line technology and/or video reviews into the game. It makes zero sense at all.

Even if he used the extra officials behind the net in for the word cup like he had for the

Europa League then they would of saw Lampards goal was in

England were embarrassingly bad.

And Sepp Blatter and the lack of video technology is the big issue again. The smug, arrogant idiot that he is.

Even if England had got that goal today, Germany would have still beaten them. Much, much better team.

I don't know about that. Anything could happen with a 2-2 game with England having new life and changing their tactics (they pretty much threw their whole team up front in desperation lol), but I digress and agree that Germany was still the better team. They were younger and played with more heart imo.

I agree that soccer needs video replay, but only used sparingly. I think what would make things much easier is to increase the refs used per match. A couple more linesman and an extra field ref wouldn't hurt. Also, each manager gets 1 challenge per half, and the challenge can only be used for replay situations like offsides, handballs, controversial goals (like what we saw during the England/Germany match). See how easy that was FIFA? The game is hardly slowed down, if at all, with extra eyes to get the calls right, and if they do get a call wrong and there's the coach's only challenge to look at the replay to decide, the maximum amount of time that would take is 5 minutes or less, and either stop the clock for the replays or just add it as extra time at the end. Simple.

Is it over yet?

The final is 11th of July.

I don't know about that. Anything could happen with a 2-2 game with England having new life and changing their tactics (they pretty much threw their whole team up front in desperation lol), but I digress and agree that Germany was still the better team. They were younger and played with more heart imo.

I agree that soccer needs video replay, but only used sparingly. I think what would make things much easier is to increase the refs used per match. A couple more linesman and an extra field ref wouldn't hurt. Also, each manager gets 1 challenge per half, and the challenge can only be used for replay situations like offsides, handballs, controversial goals (like what we saw during the England/Germany match). See how easy that was FIFA? The game is hardly slowed down, if at all, with extra eyes to get the calls right, and if they do get a call wrong and there's the coach's only challenge to look at the replay to decide, the maximum amount of time that would take is 5 minutes or less, and either stop the clock for the replays or just add it as extra time at the end. Simple.

I agree entirely about the challenge system - I've been saying for ages what a good idea it is. IMO, there's always seemed to be a hidden agenda in FIFA's refusal to introduce any of these measures. Apparently, Blatter has now said they're finally going to 'look at' introducing the technology later on in the summer. Whoopee! Too late for many.

England were pretty much a shambles all tournament. They could only 'play' in brief flurries. They had no pattern of play, no tempo, no control. Team spirit was suspect. They didn't play like a 'team', they were just a bunch of individuals. It's quite inexplicable, especially since Capello has a reputation of being such a good coach. I think most England fans were completely honest about the game and didn't use the non-goal as an excuse.

As for Germany - they are a team. They've looked good going forward, but I still think they are a bit suspect at the back. And although their first 11 are good, I don't really rate their subs too much. I like them though. Argentina v Germany should be very interesting.

Anyone but Brazil...