#21 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 08:19 PM

http://g.sports.yaho...lovenia-us.html

...“Then I heard the whistle,” Edu said

Referee Koman Coulibaly of Mali had called it off.

Over and over, American players asked, “Why?”

In English. Then in French.

“He just ignored us,” Landon Donovan said. “Or he didn’t understand.”

Perhaps Coulibaly, working his first World Cup game, will never explain himself. By the rules, he doesn’t have to speak to the media on game days, and his next availability isn’t until Monday. Perhaps it will remain one of those unsolved soccer mysteries.

I watched the game, and this was just a horribly officiated game by Coulibaly. Making terrible decisions, like this one, and the yellow card given to Findley for an "intentional handball" when it clearly smacked him right in the head! Yellow cards were handed out like crazy, and I just don't know what to make of the whole thing. Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist, never have been, but this ref's decisions, his arrogance, not responding to the players, not to mention blowing the final whistle at least what, 2-3 minutes earlier than what the stoppage time was suppose to be leads me to believe that this game was more about politics than the actual game.

I'm not making excuses for how we played, because we shouldn't have been down 0-2 in the first half to lead to a comeback, but the overall feel of this game just felt out of place to me from what else was going on. I know soccer will never trump the other sports in our country, but the amount of coverage it is getting and the support the team is getting makes me think that it'll at least gain more attention. But if we don't get out of this group because of "what could have been" from this game, then the sport itself will just take another big hit again in the U.S., which I would hate to see because I do like the sport and wish it was covered more here.

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 18 June 2010 - 08:22 PM.

#22 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:37 AM

I'm watching Australia in their must win game against Ghana.
Got off to a good start, Harry Kewell just got an absolute joke of a red card. It's things like that which remind me why I can never seriously follow this sport, blah.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#23 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'm watching Australia in their must win game against Ghana.
Got off to a good start, Harry Kewell just got an absolute joke of a red card. It's things like that which remind me why I can never seriously follow this sport, blah.

It was a red card. Handball on the line to stop a goal = Penalty and straight red card

#24 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 02:12 AM

It was a red card. Handball on the line to stop a goal = Penalty and straight red card

I can understand the penalty, but it was kicked into him from close range at high speed. No way it was an intentional handball.

There was absolutely nothing he could have done to avoid being hit by that ball.

Edited by crotty99, 20 June 2010 - 02:15 AM.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#25 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 580 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

Great finish for the U.S. Team!
Donovan scored in the 92nd minute to seal the victory and advance to the next round.

#26 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

I'm glad USA won today - they're so much more deserving to get to the next round than Slovenia. They have a great team spirit and play with pride - something that is actually lacking in some teams at the World Cup. (E.g., Les Bleus, who cheated their way to the WC and then couldn't be bothered...)

Also, Donovan is levels above most of his teammates in terms of ability. He's a real good player.

#27 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:24 PM

I'm glad USA won today - they're so much more deserving to get to the next round than Slovenia. They have a great team spirit and play with pride - something that is actually lacking in some teams at the World Cup. (E.g., Les Bleus, who cheated their way to the WC and then couldn't be bothered...)

Also, Donovan is levels above most of his teammates in terms of ability. He's a real good player.

I agree. I felt confident coming into this game that we had things figured out finally and we'd come away with a win. We had so many chances in the game that I thought we were bound to net one. Then time kept ticking down, with England's 1-0 lead in mind, and my stomach was in knots. It would be such a punch to the gut if this game ended in a tie and we couldn't advance, because they played their asses off and nothing seemed to go their way. Then just like that, Howard to Donovan to Jozy to Dempsey, then our hero Donovan with the instinct to keep on going, right place right time, in the nick of time. I'm so happy they pulled it off, now lets hope they can make a deep run, starting with Ghana.

#28 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 05:53 PM

This World Cup is working out like World War 2 - France have forfeited, the USA turned up late, and England are left to fight the Germans! ;)

#29 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 09:18 PM

I can't handle these games. I was just about ready to flip the channel...

USA has a great chance of getting to the Semis now. If they beat Ghana they would play the winner of Uruguay vs South Korea and we have a solid chance of beating all three of these teams.

#30 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

"Going from World Cup heroes to World Cup zeroes".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#31 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 04:11 PM

"Going from World Cup heroes to World Cup zeroes".

Italy......

Posted Image
It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#32 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 09:14 AM

USA > England

#33 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:04 PM

Bye-bye.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#34 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

Watch World Cup ratings on ESPN/ABC take a significant hit now that Team USA has been eliminated.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#35 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:32 PM

brb, gotta make some kids and train them for soccer before 2014...

#36 zettie85

zettie85

Selke Candidate

• HoF Booster
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:35 PM

USA > England

Ghana>USA<England
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

#37 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,960 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Pretty disappointing World Cup for the USA.

We only won 1 out of 4 games, and that was in the last minute against Algeria. Considering the mediocrity of the opposition, we should have finished better.

Instead, it doesn't look like America is any better at soccer now than it was in the last World Cup or the one before that.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#38 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 06:38 PM

Canada will make the World Cup of Soccer in 2026 and I am very excited about it!!! ;)

All our European immigrants are making 3+ babies, so the proper strategy is in place.

Edited by puffy, 26 June 2010 - 06:45 PM.

#39 germanwing

germanwing

2nd Line Scorer

• Gold Booster
  • 580 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

YEEEES!
Germany beats England 4-1!

#40 Green Wing

Green Wing

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

England were embarrassingly bad.

And Sepp Blatter and the lack of video technology is the big issue again. The smug, arrogant idiot that he is.

Even if England had got that goal today, Germany would have still beaten them. Much, much better team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users