• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

wingsownnhl43

Did the Hawks get a little lucky?

Rate this topic

To me, the 2009 Red Wings, 2009 Penguins, and even the 8 seeded 2009 Ducks were all better than the 2010 Blackhawks.

Dont get me wrong, the Preds and Canucks are nice teams but they arent elite by any means.. The Sharks series was impressive, but come on, they are perennial chokers. The Sharks were outscored in a series against a Wings team decimated by the salary cap. Lastly, the Flyers made a cinderella run in a very weak conference.

Maybe Im underestimating them, however I just dont think they had to beat any elite teams this playoff,and I still think the Wings of last year would have beat them pretty easily.

I think this was the easiest road to the cup in the last 10-15 years? What do you guys think?

Edited by wingsownnhl43

Every team that wins the Cup gets a little lucky. In fact, most get a lot lucky. Luck played a part in every Wings Cup.

So... yes.

Most obvious post I've seen written on LGW. Obviously you had to realize I meant luckier than most. They had the easiest road Ive seen in a long time.

Most obvious post I've seen written on LGW. Obviously you had to realize I meant luckier than most. They had the easiest road Ive seen in a long time.

And I'm saying that you can take every Cup run from any team that has won the Cup, dissect it and point to probably half a dozen occurances and say "Man... if that wouldn't have happened, they wouldn't have won the Cup".

On paper, Chicago was one of the best, if not THEE best, team in the playoffs. They met expectations and got lucky along the way. Like everyone else that has won a Cup.

You say their road was easy and I say it was a lot easier because they had a good regular season and were rewarded by having to play lower seeded teams. So is it luck that they finished strong enough in the regular season that they were able to draw easier opponents? I say no. Sorry.

Edited by Broken 16

I agree that they had a much easier path to the Cup than any other team in recent memory, they looked lost in the first round against Nashville, and if not for Hossa's OT winner they would have gone into an 0-3 hole and likely been done. After the first round upsets in the East, it was a safe bet that whoever came out of the West would win.

Yes, the Hawks are a good team, no, I don't think they were the best team, just the best team left at the end.

And I'm saying that you can take every Cup run from any team that has won the Cup, dissect it and point to probably half a dozen occurances and say "Man... if that wouldn't have happened, they wouldn't have won the Cup".

On paper, Chicago was one of the best, if not THEE best, team in the playoffs. They met expectations and got lucky along the way. Like everyone else that has won a Cup.

Ok, I'm sorry. I should have worded the OP differently. 2010 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks.... Easiest road to the Cup in the last 10-15 years? Yes or No. Focus on that and forget about the breaks EVERY team catches year in and year out to hoist the cup.

I agree that they had a much easier path to the Cup than any other team in recent memory, they looked lost in the first round against Nashville, and if not for Hossa's OT winner they would have gone into an 0-3 hole and likely been done. After the first round upsets in the East, it was a safe bet that whoever came out of the West would win.

Yes, the Hawks are a good team, no, I don't think they were the best team, just the best team left at the end.

Agreed and Thank you for picking up what I was laying down.

Ok, I'm sorry. I should have worded the OP differently. 2010 Stanley Cup Champion Chicago Blackhawks.... Easiest road to the Cup in the last 10-15 years? Yes or No. Focus on that and forget about the breaks EVERY team catches year in and year out to hoist the cup.

A 1 vs 2 match-up in the WCF's? That doesn't seem lucky to me. Ya, they swept them... maybe that was the lucky part?

Agreed and Thank you for picking up what I was laying down.

Sorry. I guess I just don't agree with the whole notion of trying to discredit another teams accomplishment by looking for instances of luck. I'll find another thread.

As much as I hate to say it, I think that if Chicago had been forced to play the Penguins in the Finals, they would have lost. I dislike the Pens just as much as Chicago, but I think I would have been okay with them repeating as long as the Blackhawks didn't win. Niemi did not play as well as Halak did in the series againt Pitt and I would give the edge in experience to the Pens as well. But, what's done is done and there's no point speculating on what could have been at this point.

I'm just going to look forward to next season. Honestly, I'm more excited about a couple of seasons from now when Tatar, Nestrasil, and the like should be in the lineup.

As much as I hate to say it, I think that if Chicago had been forced to play the Penguins in the Finals, they would have lost. I dislike the Pens just as much as Chicago, but I think I would have been okay with them repeating as long as the Blackhawks didn't win. Niemi did not play as well as Halak did in the series againt Pitt and I would give the edge in experience to the Pens as well. But, what's done is done and there's no point speculating on what could have been at this point.

I'm just going to look forward to next season. Honestly, I'm more excited about a couple of seasons from now when Tatar, Nestrasil, and the like should be in the lineup.

The pens couldn't beat Montreal but they're going to beat Chicago. Chicago was only the 2 seed because of Stuart's OT goal in the last game of the season. Pittsburgh was the 4th seed in an extremely weak confrence, in a year where they didn't have crosby missing for 20 games like usual.

The hawks would've slaughtered the pens.

The Hawks had a real good team this year, It might have been different if Nashville hadn't blown game five. All teams get lucky in the playoffs. But looking back at the season and the playoffs, I think this was the Hawks season to win it all.

And Detroit played all elite teams in their 08 run?

My count is 0 with an honorable mention to the Penguins that year. Topped with mediocre Nashville and half an Avs team and you got yourself a pretty nice road to the cup.

I would say the Stars and Pens were better than any team the Hawks saw this year. Just my opinion though.

To me, the 2009 Red Wings, 2009 Penguins, and even the 8 seeded 2009 Ducks were all better than the 2010 Blackhawks.

Dont get me wrong, the Preds and Canucks are nice teams but they arent elite by any means.. The Sharks series was impressive, but come on, they are perennial chokers. The Sharks were outscored in a series against a Wings team decimated by the salary cap. Lastly, the Flyers made a cinderella run in a very weak conference.

Maybe Im underestimating them, however I just dont think they had to beat any elite teams this playoff,and I still think the Wings of last year would have beat them pretty easily.

I think this was the easiest road to the cup in the last 10-15 years? What do you guys think?

They didn't get lucky they got good.

They were bad, they drafted good, then it came together this year. Next year maybe not, what with the cap and all.

You can pretty much spin any championship in any sport saying a team is lucky in some way/shape/form to try to justify an argument. Sometimes you need to get lucky. Sometimes you make your own luck. And more often than not, good teams both capitalize on lucky breaks and make their own breaks as well.

Shouldn't take away or taint Chicago's championship like you are trying to perceive it to be.

You can pretty much spin any championship in any sport saying a team is lucky in some way/shape/form to try to justify an argument. Sometimes you need to get lucky. Sometimes you make your own luck. And more often than not, good teams both capitalize on lucky breaks and make their own breaks as well.

Shouldn't take away or taint Chicago's championship like you are trying to perceive it to be.

LGW has had a lot of petty threads since Chicago won. I'm glad some Wings fans are ripping into them though.

Uh the Sharks kicked our asses and we're an elite team. The Predators were one of those Any Given Sunday teams they could kick the crap out of anyone. and the Nucks were solid. So no I think you present a weak argument and the Blackhawks have been building towards a Cup for several years.

If they had played a team with a good goaltender in the finals, they would have lost. Niemi gave up 22 goals in 6 games (3.67 GAA) but he was better than Leighton/Boucher who gave up 25 (4.17 GAA).

This was the worst goaltending I can remember ever seeing in a finals.

Niemi finished with a .910 save percntage but in the finals he had an .877 save percentage. Yes .877 This must be a record but they still won because they scored over 4 goals/game.

Lucky? Yes.

If we're going to talk about luck having an influence then it was pretty much the deciding factor in the 09 finals. If the Wings had it, they would've been healthier and they would've been able to put the Pens away. The Wings had some of the most unluckiest injuries I've ever seen. A ********? Acute appendicitis during the playoffs?

LOL threads like these are great.

our path to the Cup was probably easier then theirs. they beat three pretty good teams in san jose, vacnouver and philly. i guess u don't remember us getting nashville first round which was tough but blowing right through colorado with half their roster injured, facing a dallas team that upset anaheim and san jose who we got to avoid, and then beating a pittsburgh team that looked lost for the first two games with ease.

ahhh, i love it :D

Uh the Sharks kicked our asses and we're an elite team. The Predators were one of those Any Given Sunday teams they could kick the crap out of anyone. and the Nucks were solid. So no I think you present a weak argument and the Blackhawks have been building towards a Cup for several years.

Do you really think the Wings were elite this year?

LOL threads like these are great.

our path to the Cup was probably easier then theirs. they beat three pretty good teams in san jose, vacnouver and philly. i guess u don't remember us getting nashville first round which was tough but blowing right through colorado with half their roster injured, facing a dallas team that upset anaheim and san jose who we got to avoid, and then beating a pittsburgh team that looked lost for the first two games with ease.

ahhh, i love it :D

What exactly has San Jose proven other than that they are a great regular season team? Philly lucked out in not having to play Washington or Pittsburgh. They just happened to be the team that stumbled their way out of a weak conference. I guess we'll have to just agree to disagree. I seriously think the Stars and Pens > Sharks and Flyers.