• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest CaliWingsNut

Study on checking in youth leagues shows higher brain injury risk

Rate this topic

Guest CaliWingsNut

I'm for the physical part to the game, just felt this was an interesting article to discuss.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127748445

Study compares an Alberta 11+yr old league w/ checking and a Quebec non checking league. Regardless of the speaker making hockey sound disgusting, the whole article is more about what age kids should start body checking (not if they should).

I'm for the physical part to the game, just felt this was an interesting article to discuss.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=127748445

Study compares an Alberta 11+yr old league w/ checking and a Quebec non checking league. Regardless of the speaker making hockey sound disgusting, the whole article is more about what age kids should start body checking (not if they should).

I'm sick of hearing about this s***.Its hockey.if you don't like being hit,don't ******* play.its a traditionally violent sport.As Mike Milbury puts it,pansification of this game needs to stop.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

They should start them earlier so by the time they can hurt each other they at least know how to take and receive a hit

Exactly they should start hitting right after tyke. In lacrosse they hit in peanut which is the lacrosse equivalent of tyke and I doubt it makes that many more ppl get injured in the long run.

By the age of 11 players can have developed bad habits like skating with their head down, if they started hitting at 6 or 7 they wouldn't have time to develop habits like that and it would give them more time to learn to give a clean hit and receive one. This is how it should be if they're going to change anything

Guest CaliWingsNut

Exactly they should start hitting right after tyke. In lacrosse they hit in peanut which is the lacrosse equivalent of tyke and I doubt it makes that many more ppl get injured in the long run.

By the age of 11 players can have developed bad habits like skating with their head down, if they started hitting at 6 or 7 they wouldn't have time to develop habits like that and it would give them more time to learn to give a clean hit and receive one. This is how it should be if they're going to change anything

I agree... the little one's won't have half the steam behind any of their potential hits either.