• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Puckpossession

Hudler+4th line grinder

Rate this topic

I think if Cleary and Filppula don't improve next year,Kenny is gonna shake things up.

for cleary it is a matter of getting back to where he was 2 years ago, and def it is time for filppula to step up, also don't forget kronwall, he was having a norris-type seaosn before his injury and after it he never was the same

for cleary it is a matter of getting back to where he was 2 years ago, and def it is time for filppula to step up, also don't forget kronwall, he was having a norris-type seaosn before his injury and after it he never was the same

True about Kronwall as well.I just hope this upcoming year is Rafalski's last!!

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

How many seasons in a row do we have to 'expect' a bigger year from Filpula and Cleary?

Hopefully we can stay far more injury free this season. With Hudler being back, I'm hoping for so better offense, especially on the pp.

How many seasons in a row do we have to 'expect' a bigger year from Filpula and Cleary?

Hopefully we can stay far more injury free this season. With Hudler being back, I'm hoping for so better offense, especially on the pp.

I don't really think asking for 50 points when a guy is playing with Zetterberg on and off is too much to ask.I still think Hurdler is gonna be a major bust.

Guest Lidstromboli

hopefully Kronwall doesn't get injured and avoids tripping on pucks

Wasn't Rafalski signed after his 35th birthday? If so an early retirement would not be helpful.

Capgeek doesn't show that, so I don't think so.

Regardless, I think he's more valuable than people here give him credit for. When he retires or leaves, we'll have a definite hole to fill.

I don't really think asking for 50 points when a guy is playing with Zetterberg on and off is too much to ask.I still think Hurdler is gonna be a major bust.

Hudler will be a bust?

He scored 57 points drifting between the 3rd and 4th lines, half of which (29) came at ES with virtually no help. Should he be played on the top two lines with skilled linemates, he'll easily match that kind of output if not exceed it significantly.

Hudler will be a bust?

He scored 57 points drifting between the 3rd and 4th lines, half of which (29) came at ES with virtually no help. Should he be played on the top two lines with skilled linemates, he'll easily match that kind of output if not exceed it significantly.

When he played on the 3rd line,he was mostly playing against other 3rd lines.He's gonna be competing with better players if he plays on the 2nd line.

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Hudler-Datsyuk-Cleary

Abdelkader-Filppula-Ritola

Eaves-Helm-Madden/Burish(either i think would be a good fit)

Madden is 37 made 2.7mill i cant see him getting that this off-season considering his age and the fact that his numbers have dropped but he played a great 4th line role with the Hawks and is a good PK.

Burish will just add that nasty to our game.

this is if Bert doesnt come back, if he does come back maybe

Franzen-Zetterberg-Holmstrom

Hudler-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Filppula-Ritola

Abdelkader-Helm-Burish/Madden

Draper

"Boynton and Johnsson won't be back next season, while Madden's future with the Hawks is in limbo. Bowman does not plan on trading away fan-favorite Patrick Sharp, while forward Kris Versteeg may be on the bubble"

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m) / * Adam Burish ($1.150m)

* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.125m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / * Darren Helm ($0.775m)

Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

Doug Janik ($0.512m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $56.8m; PAYROLL: $56.817m; CAP ROOM: $-0.017m BONUSES: $0.000m

When you start talking about the Wings chances of winning the cup, there is one very important point you have to consider.

First, let's take a look at the 11 Stanley Cups that the Wings DID win.

With those 11 cups the Wings were NEVER in the bottom half of the seeds of the playoff teams. In the seven cup victories before 1996 the Wings were FIRST seed every time. In 1996-1997 the Wings were THIRD seed. In 1997-1998 the Wings were THIRD seed. In 2001-2002 the Wings were FIRST seed. In 2007-2008 the Wings were FIRST seed.

Now, because the Wings are in the Western Conference and the West Coast teams are getting better, it is more important than ever that the Wings finish in the top three seeds (maybe four). At the end of the Wings run this year several players did indeed say that fatigue was an issue. When you are in the bottom four seeds, obviously, travel is an issue when you have to fly to the West coast through three time zones for the first 2 games of the opening two series. That means there is a possibility for 3 trips to the west coast in each series or 6 trips to the west coast in the first 2 series if they go 7 games.... just unreal. I really don't know how a team can do that in a grueling series and still survive. NO TEAM travels further unless it is a west coast team coming to a combination of Detroit, Columbus &/or Nashville to start their first two series and that was unlikely in the past but may change if Columbus improves.

Babcock may try to use his psychobabble to convince his players that it is no big deal..... but the human body says differently. The effects of travel and the recovery time of travel on the human body is a PROVEN medical fact. And this is the reason why I always stress young fresh speedy legs that never quit.

So if the Wings stay in the Western Conference and want to win the cup they simply have to finish in the top half of the seeds, since we are unlikely to see a powerhouse dominating team that simply will skate over everyone else.

In view of this the Wings were doomed last year when they got off to the very poor start in the first 10 games.... they really never recovered as the injuries mounted.

The travel was the main reason why I was really hoping the Wings would face the Blackhawks in the first round. The Wings had a good chance to face the Blackhawks in the first round but they decided they wanted the highest seed possible. The Blachhawks were vulnerable in the first round and Nashville almost pulled it off if it wasn't for the major flub in game 5 (which they should have won), of allowing a short-handed goal when they could have closed the game out on a power play. That was the turning point for the Hawks.

So, in summarizing, if the Wings want a chance at the cup it will depend on whether the Hawks can keep their team mostly together, if the Wings can win the central division, and if the Wings get off to a very good start next season, IMHO.

Edited by Icesurfer

Hudler will be a bust?

It's really cute and incredibly irritating at the same time the amount you defend Hudler over every. single. little. thing. when we all already know what's going to come out of your mouth/keystrokes.

Anyways, the addition of Hudler should help add some more offense, but honestly this team doesn't need much of an overhaul. Hopefully just a little bit more luck with the injury situation and Howard - while he was inconsistent at times in the postseason, overall though in both regular season and playoffs I think he passed the test - to continue to play consistent, and this team has as good a shot as anybody.

With the way parity is in this league nowadays no matter how much we might like it or not, the playoffs and the race for a championship is almost always wide open.

It's a little more complicated than that, but short answer - yes.

What it really comes down to, is a healthy Franzen, Kronwall, Holmstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Lidstrom and Rafalski all producing at or above the level we expect of them, an equal or better than we expect Hudler (57+ pts), huge steps forward for Filppula (60+ pt season) and Ericsson (+ season and solid positionally, plus more physical) and finally (and one of the most important) an equal or better Jimmy Howard and no sophomore slump

Other than that, if everyone else just plays the game expected of them, along with these factors, we are one of the most dangerous teams in the world and we can beat anyone.

What is it with the Adam Burish all the sudden? Is it just because he ran his mouth about Pronger? He's litterally barely on the Hawks fourth line. And please dont say he can fight. Logon hockeyfights.com, hes lost about every fight hes ever been in.

True about Kronwall as well.I just hope this upcoming year is Rafalski's last!!

? I really dont get the hate for Rafi, if Lids leaves we NEED Rafi back there. He is a brilliant puck moving defensman who can send a pass out of the zone as well if not better then anyone in the league. I also still think, especially after his dominance at the Olympics, he should quarter back the second powerplay.

As for Huds plus a grinder this all depends to me on Bertuzzi (which sounds funny, and looks funny as I typed that lol) but honestly Bert has impressed me this past year, he has great size, hands, shot and he has worked on speed as well. He is a GREAT top 6 guy if we can sign him soon. Huds will help alot and we have more 4 liners then we need already if you ask me. I would rather Miller/Eaves be that guy.

? I really dont get the hate for Rafi, if Lids leaves we NEED Rafi back there. He is a brilliant puck moving defensman who can send a pass out of the zone as well if not better then anyone in the league. I also still think, especially after his dominance at the Olympics, he should quarter back the second powerplay.

As for Huds plus a grinder this all depends to me on Bertuzzi (which sounds funny, and looks funny as I typed that lol) but honestly Bert has impressed me this past year, he has great size, hands, shot and he has worked on speed as well. He is a GREAT top 6 guy if we can sign him soon. Huds will help alot and we have more 4 liners then we need already if you ask me. I would rather Miller/Eaves be that guy.

The problem with Raffi are his turnovers and lack of size for his price tag - not saying I agree, I'm just saying I can see where some of the negativity comes from... with that said, I think he is GREAT for what he does, as you stated, and I really think both he and Lids would benefit GREATLY by splitting them up and putting a physical counterpart with them, not to mention, I thought Stuart and Rafalski complemented one another VERY well....

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Stuart-Rafalski

Ericsson-Lilja/UFA

Kindl

PP:

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Ericsson-Rafalski

Edited by stevkrause

When he played on the 3rd line,he was mostly playing against other 3rd lines.He's gonna be competing with better players if he plays on the 2nd line.

Ok, here's a question I have been dying to ask.

People keep saying guys like Hudler and Bertuzzi are bad fits for the 3rd line because they aren't checking, defensive players. Instead they are players who play less of a defensive game and more of an offensive game, and are more suited to the top two lines.

Yet at the same time, the same people say "Hudler only scored like he did on the third line because he was playing against other teams' third lines."

Now to me, that seems like a contradiction. Hudler is supposedly playing against the line that the Hudler-haters are saying should be your best defensive line, and scoring well regardless of his linemates. Shouldn't that mean he would put up better point totals against the opposing team's top lines, as they aren't as skilled defensively?

Maybe it's just be, but I always thought 1+2=3, not 1+2=1.

Gotta love that the same arguments come up between the exact same people whenever Hudler's name pops up in a thread. I think Hudler will be more than enough given that Detroit hopefully won't have the same injury issues like they did last season.