• Please log in to reply
604 replies to this topic

#21 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

Im realllllyyyy hoping Jeff Skinner slips late to us hopefully ppl will pass on him because hes not the biggest kid

Skinner put up a lot of points but hes tiny.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#22 irishtemper14+25

irishtemper14+25

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

So today on the chat with Jim Nill I submitted a question.

my comment: Mr. Nill, I would like to know your opinion on a couple of players. If you spoke with Kabanov at the combine how did he come off to you, do you feel he will slide as far as they are projecting? Also what do you think his skill level is because even if he has some character issues, I recall a member of the wings org saying "You can't teach talent, everything else can be worked on."

his response: Yes, we have interviewed Kiril. He is a very skilled player and you are definitely correct in that you can't teach talent. It will be interesting to see where he falls in draft. He is on our radar screen.

"It will be interesting to see where he falls in draft." I hope they see the talent he has and think they can change him so they send out smokescreens up to the draft and maybe trade up in the second rd to get him.

Kudos to Teeman for the Sig
"You remember that chap a few years ago, climbed Everest with no oxygen, came down nearly dead...they asked him why he went up there to die. He said I didn't, I went up there to live."

#23 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:17 AM

From TSN :

One of the NHL's most intriguing debates finally comes to an end next Friday as Edmonton Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini selects Taylor Hall or Tyler Seguin first overall at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, live and in prime-time on TSN. Coverage begins on Friday, June 25 at 7 p.m. ET on TSN and continues through to the end of the First Round.

TSN's live coverage of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft is also being simulcast on VERSUS in the U.S., and is available live and on-demand at TSN.ca. Fans can follow the Draft on TSN Mobile, and get live streaming coverage of the First Round on TSN's app for iPhone.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#24 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:24 AM

I DON'T CARE HOW KENNY DOESN IT BUT KABANOV IS GUNNA BE A STAR, GET HIM ON BOARD. ALSO NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE OTHER MICHIGAN LAD I PAIRED WITH WATSON, Jared Knight OF THE LONDON KNIGHTS. COULD BE
A GOOD SOLID 3RD LINE PLAYER DOWN THE LINE.

Edited by Andy Pred 48, 18 June 2010 - 09:28 AM.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#25 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

Hall-of-Famer

• HoF Booster
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:24 AM

Brock Nelson?? The guy sounds like an enforcer through and through.

Agreed. Now if he looked like this...
Posted Image
...even better. You just know that Brock Samson would have been the greatest enforcer ever & he already has the hockey hair for the role.

Edited by ogreslayer, 18 June 2010 - 10:26 AM.

#26 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

Agreed. Now if he looked like this...
Posted Image
...even better. You just know that Brock Samson would have been the greatest enforcer ever & he already has the hockey hair for the role.

Or this Posted Image

or this Posted Image

or this. Posted Image

Seems like all guys named Brock are badasses.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#27 stevie12

stevie12

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

Kirill Kabanov Tribute Video

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Draft Kabanov!!!

#28 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

I DON'T CARE HOW KENNY DOESN IT BUT KABANOV IS GUNNA BE A STAR, GET HIM ON BOARD. ALSO NO ONE HAS MENTIONED THE OTHER MICHIGAN LAD I PAIRED WITH WATSON, Jared Knight OF THE LONDON KNIGHTS. COULD BE
A GOOD SOLID 3RD LINE PLAYER DOWN THE LINE.

Yeah just like he was a star in Moncton this year.... :rolleyes:

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#29 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 04:10 PM

the lad has some issues,but he was a point a game for the Wildcats before his actions let him down. I just think he'll be worth the risk, Smith has had his problems but he's gunna be a big player for the Wings in a year or two. Kabanov is a raw talent in a big frame, if we get the chance to draft him we should.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#30 redwingfan19

redwingfan19

On a mission

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,523 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

TSN Final Draft Rankings Top 75

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...ature/?id=24944

I would be happy if the Wings can get one these players of in order:

Mcilrath
Watson
Bjugstad
Howden
Merill

If the wings hold on to their pick I think there's a real good chance we end up (hopefully) with one of these guys. Interestingly, kabanov is at 43, could he possibly fall to the wings for their second pick? Probably not. In the second round I like Zucker and Martindale, maybe one of them will be around with the 52nd pick.
You may not like tough hockey, but it's winning hockey.

Mitch Callahan: 48GP, 6G, 3A, 9PTS,+/- -3, 103PIMS

14 Fighting Majors

#31 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:23 PM

I don't get all the early 1st round love for Dylan McIlrath.

Pros:
He's definitely an intriguing shut-down prospect. He's got some of the best physical tools in the entire draft (aside from skating). He's a great fighter and a strong defender. He's got a hard slapshot from the point.

Cons:
He doesn't have the offensive tools to dominate the WHL by any stretch of the imagination. If you can't dominate the WHL your odds of doing well in the NHL (offensively) are low. His skating is average.

This kid's offensive upside is very limited. Take Brad Stuart for example. He was a top 5 pick and a scoring star in junior. Now he's a shutdown guy who can play on the PP in a pinch.

Why would you draft a guy like McIlrath in the top 15? He projects as a big body shutdown defenseman. Ok, cool. The Wings took one of those from LA for a 2nd round and a 4th round pick. Hal Gill has been floating around the league as a FA for a while. Lilja is probably not even going to be re-signed by the Wings. These players are valued by GM's but their full value is often measured by what offense the put up on the side.

In my mind, early to mid first round picks are better spent on players with more upside. McIlrath just doesn't seem like a Wings 1st rounder to me. His upside is too limited. The Wings demand strong offensive play from their top defenders. I'd love to see this kid in a Wings uniform but he doesn't feel like a 21st overall pick to me unless scouts are seeing some untapped offensive potential that they aren't mentioning in the scouting reports I'm seeing online.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#32 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

JARRED TINORDI...pleeeeeease
be about it...
:thumbup:
be about it!

#33 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:55 PM

Skinner put up a lot of points but hes tiny.

Yeah just like he was a star in Moncton this year.... :rolleyes:

Do you understand scouting at all? Guys who are huge and have elite talent will always go higher in the draft.

Let's break every kid down into three categories:
1. Talent
2. Size/Physical tools
3. Mental tools (hockey sense, attitude, etc)

If you're the Detroit Red Wings and you've yet to pick higher than 19th overall in 20 years you have to sacrifice something. So let's look at what you sacrifice:

Size:
If you sacrifice size you can still get away with it because, well, we all know how big Yzerman, Datsyuk and Zetterberg are. And that's not bigger than 5'11. Kane is a midget and is slight as well. He's weighs as much as a wet cat. He seems to have done ok for himself.
Examples: Skinner, Grandlund, Tarasenko, Weal

Talent:
You can sacrifice talent and draft a kid who's got great physical and mental tools but has a lower ceiling for growth. Will this get you a Cup winning team? I'm not sure, I only know that the last option (sacrificing size) can win you a Cup. I do know that these kids could get bigger and stronger but you can't teach talent so you have to hope the scouts missed something there.
Examples: McIlrath, Tinordi

Mental Tools:
Ok, so what if there's a kid who has the talent and size but might not have the drive or attitude? Or maybe the player has a low hockey IQ (McFarland for example). Well you have to bank on the fact that their attitude problems are a maturity issue and that that will come with time, or that they just need a strong system to help them get on track. These kids are either home-runs or busts.
Examples: Kabanov (attitude), McFarland (hockey IQ)

What do you do? The Wings aren't picking in the top 15 so realistically you have to sacrifice something. Talent is the one thing you just can't sacrifice in my opinion because you can't teach it or significantly overcome a lack of it with hard work.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#34 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:36 PM

Let the Draft day extravaganza begin!

News, views, and reactions to NHL Draft 2010.

ahh, I didn't see the other one had already started. Do as you please...

#35 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Tough to have an official draft day thread when said thread already made but hey thats ok...
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#36 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:38 PM

Let the Draft day extravaganza begin!

News, views, and reactions to NHL Draft 2010.

ahh, I didn't see the other one had already started. Do as you please...

It was buried haha. This one has a better look and sound to it. All this aside I cannot wait until tonight.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

It was buried haha. This one has a better look and sound to it. All this aside I cannot wait until tonight.

Yup. gotta stare at the clock until 3:30 and then i'm running out the door at work, firing up the BBQ and placing my ass ever so precicely in the ass groove on my couch. here's to hoping for McIllrath in the 1st round!

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#38 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Best of luck Wings! Looking forward to seeing what kind of moves and trades happen more than the actual draft.
Posted Image

#39 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

For sure, it's funny how excited we get for the 21st pick. Imagine if we had a top 5 pick, LGW would resemble Toronto the day they get to the second round again.

Too bad my cable just went out past channel 24. Probably gonna camp out over my in-laws, NHL network in HD. So I can see the Wings select anyone other than Dylan McIlrath in stunning detail! (JK, guys who already have McIlrath sewn on the back of their jerseys...)

#40 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

Will it be televised???
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image