• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

djdan

2010 NHL Draft Thread

Rate this topic

Sounds like Pulkinnen is this years Toni Rajala. Everybody on here wants him but the Wings seemingly won't get him.

Exactly what I was thinking before the draft even started. Some mock drafts (including McKenzie) had him going mid or early 2nd round, much like Rajala last year. He also had good WJC like Rajala last year. Weird.

18 years old and already 3 surgeries on 3 different parts of his body.

:/

Ah, that I didn't know; all they talked about on the TV coverage was his upside. What kind of surgeries? Is he likely to be in one piece to play for the Wings?

Edit: found it. He had a separated shoulder, broken wrist, and some sort of knee problem.

Edited by Hockey Convert

that could turn out to be a great pick.

Ah, that I didn't know; all they talked about on the TV coverage was his upside. What kind of surgeries? Is he likely to be in one piece to play for the Wings?

knee, shoulder, and wrist.

Per Wikipedia

Pulkkinen made his first appearance for Jokerit on December 5, 2008 at the age of 16.[1] Before joining the team, Pulkkinen was an integral part of Jokerit's Junior-B club, scoring 36 goals and a total of 60 points in 32 games during the 2007-08 regular season. His team went on to win the Finnish championship and Pulkkinen became the top scorer in the playoffs with 17 points in just six games.
Pulkkinen competed for Finland at the 2009 IIHF World U18 Championships in the United States. He recorded 13 points in 6 games to finish third in tournament scoring behind teammate Toni Rajala and Russian Vladimir Tarasenko, helping Finland to a bronze medal.

In the 2010 IIHF World U18 Championships, Pulkkkinen got 10 goals and 5 assists in 6 games to become the tournament's leading scorer, and he was also selected to be the tournament's best forward.

Per Wikipedia

per ISS scouting:

"Talent way beyond his years, is 92 born, could be playing with U20 team, has a Crosby skill set, extremely strong on puck, carries the play, dictates the pace, great shot – hard and accurate, very quick release, always in motion, sees the ice at a professional level, decent size, in great shape, doesn’t quit, deceptively fast, great agility, makes defenders look like they have never skated before, seems to love being on the ice and in the game, cheers for every goal, did struggle somewhat in the defensive zone 5 on 5."

Wow borderline 1st round talent in the 4th round. So far I'm loving this draft. Big canadian powerforward type, skilled swede who if he bulks up could be sick, another big canadian who seems fairly gritty and had a few fights last year, loves blocking shots and crashing the net. Then they get a steal with htis guy who should've been gone by the early second

Seriously, I'm over the moon.

Yes Pulkkinen obviously fell a looong way, so there's obviously legitimate concerns however in the 4th round you've simply got to take the punt. If he develops, gets stronger, learns to cope better to physicality, we have a potential sniping winger, and that was probably our biggest need.

I get the feeling we won't have to wait too long to know unless this is a boom or bust pick, but it was WELL worth the punt. The upside was too good to ignore.

Awesome pick. I'm guessing the rest of our picks will be defensemen and a goalie at this point.

I doubt they take a goalie, I thought in an interview one of the guys said they weren't looking for a goalie.

Take a mean defenseman, a Callahan type forward and take one of those classic Hakan homerun picks with the last one. I don't like puck moving defenseman at this point in the draft really, get some more grit into the system since we got 3 potential top 6 players already and our pure sniper in Pulkinen.

I doubt they take a goalie, I thought in an interview one of the guys said they weren't looking for a goalie.

Take a mean defenseman, a Callahan type forward and take one of those classic Hakan homerun picks with the last one. I don't like puck moving defenseman at this point in the draft really, get some more grit into the system since we got 3 potential top 6 players already and our pure sniper in Pulkinen.

I got the impression from this: http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2010/06/red_wings_know_high-end_player.html

The Red Wings try to draft a goaltender every year.

It's imperative they get one Saturday in a later round. Daniel Larsson returned to Sweden last month, his future with the organization in doubt, leaving them with only two young goalies in their system -- 2008 first-round pick Thomas McCollum and Jordan Pearce.

But there's no actual quote from the Wings' front office.