Photo
* * - - - 3 votes

somehow, we need to get a scoring third line center...

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:28 PM

Flip - 60+ points this year, 70+ if he plays all year in the top 6...

Feel free to bookmark it and call me out if it doesn't happen - I GENUINELY believe this will be the case and will eat crow if I'm wrong.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#22 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

Feel free to bookmark it and call me out if it doesn't happen - I GENUINELY believe this will be the case and will eat crow if I'm wrong.

Posted Image I am with ya. Its more like what HAS to happen but I am with you on this. Posted Image
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#23 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,029 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:35 PM

Agreed completely. With the way she's shown capable of playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get close to 80 if he plays the whole year in the top 6. Especially if he plays on a line with Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 15 June 2010 - 12:36 PM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#24 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:45 PM

Agreed completely. With the way she's shown capable of playing, I wouldn't be surprised to see him get close to 80 if he plays the whole year in the top 6. Especially if he plays on a line with Zetterberg or Datsyuk.

I think this could be Filppula's breakout year.If he can stay healthy,70 points seems realistic.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#25 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:47 PM

absolutely possible for flip. he was playing really good...broke his wrist. came back and had a pretty good point pace going. if he plays all season in the top 6, he'll gain confidence and we'll all see lots of improvements. there's only so much you can do in practice, you need to play against OTHER teams top lines regularly.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#26 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:52 PM

I think everyone may have to look at a case like Ville F'ing Leino and take a long look in the mirror and say.... Why can't I???

#27 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:54 PM

absolutely possible for flip. he was playing really good...broke his wrist. came back and had a pretty good point pace going. if he plays all season in the top 6, he'll gain confidence and we'll all see lots of improvements. there's only so much you can do in practice, you need to play against OTHER teams top lines regularly.

Crap... they need to allow you to fix it if you accidentally click the -1 button, when you mean to click the +1... damn fast click finger, haha

I agree 100%... now let me go back in the thread and find one of your other posts to even it out... haha

EDIT - Alright, went into another thread and gave you +2 to bring it back where I originally intended :thumbup:

Edited by stevkrause, 15 June 2010 - 12:56 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#28 blueadams

blueadams

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

Ironically...looking at my original post:

Hudler-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi
???-Filppula-Cleary
Abdelkader-Helm-???

...how good do Leino and Kopecky look in those spots?

ugh.

#29 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Ironically...looking at my original post:

Hudler-Datsyuk-Holmstrom
Franzen-Zetterberg-Bertuzzi
???-Filppula-Cleary
Abdelkader-Helm-???

...how good do Leino and Kopecky look in those spots?

ugh.

horrible.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#30 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

Crap... they need to allow you to fix it if you accidentally click the -1 button, when you mean to click the +1... damn fast click finger, haha

I agree 100%... now let me go back in the thread and find one of your other posts to even it out... haha

EDIT - Alright, went into another thread and gave you +2 to bring it back where I originally intended :thumbup:

sweet! you just like my post cause we're both so excited about NHL 11!

in all seriousness, barring injuries, i think regardless of what happens with the hawks, wings take the central division the next 5-7 years. even when lids hangs em' up, the wings have too many good prospects that are gonna come in and surprise other teams fans. the wings always find a way to turn heads. i can't wait to see nyqvist in the top 6 with the likes of dats, Z, franzen, flip and huds.

flip and huds each get 65+ points this year. franzen and Z score 40, dats nets 34...yes 34. howard laughs at the sophomore curse. kronner gets 50+ points, and all is well on LGW.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#31 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:13 PM

sweet! you just like my post cause we're both so excited about NHL 11!

in all seriousness, barring injuries, i think regardless of what happens with the hawks, wings take the central division the next 5-7 years. even when lids hangs em' up, the wings have too many good prospects that are gonna come in and surprise other teams fans. the wings always find a way to turn heads. i can't wait to see nyqvist in the top 6 with the likes of dats, Z, franzen, flip and huds.

flip and huds each get 65+ points this year. franzen and Z score 40, dats nets 34...yes 34. howard laughs at the sophomore curse. kronner gets 50+ points, and all is well on LGW.

It's the one video game I geek out about big time, haha

But I agree on the Wings future more or less, I wouldn't be horribly surprised to see St. Louis come back and threaten in a couple years with the young talent they have there either and Chicago will still be pretty competitive, but I believe they'll take the central 5-7 times over the next 10 years and finish 2nd the other 3-5... there's a lot to be excited about for sure... also Tatar and Smith as well, not to mention what other prospects make surprise leaps, like we always have...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#32 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

Rather just move Abby to the 3rd line and re-sign Eaves and another 4th line guy. Healthy we have lots of offence.

And it annoys me when people just throw Franzen on Datsyuks line always. Franzen has never played well with Datsyuk, he played the best game of his life with Zetterberg, he was part of the best line in the 09 playoffs with Zetterberg and Cleary. And back in 08 his redonky scoring spree was with Filpulla. Keep him away from Datsyuk, put Franzen with Z.

I agree completely. Mule has shown way more chemistry playing on a line with Z than he has with Pavel. Taking Franzen off Zetterberg's wing bothers me more than when Pavel and Z got split up. At least there was some decent logic behind that move. Holmstrom always plays with Datsyuk, Franzen should always be with Zetterberg. There are so many line combos possible that I am not going to speculate this early, but I would love to see the Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary line reunited.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#33 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:39 PM

I agree completely. Mule has shown way more chemistry playing on a line with Z than he has with Pavel. Taking Franzen off Zetterberg's wing bothers me more than when Pavel and Z got split up. At least there was some decent logic behind that move. Holmstrom always plays with Datsyuk, Franzen should always be with Zetterberg. There are so many line combos possible that I am not going to speculate this early, but I would love to see the Franzen-Zetterberg-Cleary line reunited.

I agree 100% on this - Z and Franz, Dats and Holmer ALWAYS TOGETHER - Add the other wingers as you see fit... the only line I'm REAL sold on and would like to see given a real chance is Filppula-Zetterberg-Franzen - they absolutely LIT it up at the end of the playoff's there and Flip always plays well with Z, and always plays well with Franzen, Z always plays well with Flip and with Franzen... it really just makes sense to put all 3 together from the start and see where things go - I think this line has everything needed, one guy that LOVES to pass, has amazing hands and tons of speed (Fil) with 2 guys that can and will shoot the puck very well and Franzen with a big body and amazing hands to create plays down low, while Z is allowed to, well... be Z...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#34 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

Not sure why Pav and Hank are split up for at any point. I have seen it many times said in posts but its really the only one I am sold on. I also know my Cleary love is borderline ridiculous but if he is back to what Clears can do, the Mule-Hank-Clears line can be implemented at any time and I won't be mad. Posted Image

Edited by HankthaTank, 15 June 2010 - 01:49 PM.

#35 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:51 PM

Does no one like Drew Miller? No ones even mentioned him with their line combos and he's most certain to get re-signed.

#36 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

Does no one like Drew Miller? No ones even mentioned him with their line combos and he's most certain to get re-signed.

I like him just fine for a 4th line guy... the problem is, there is a logjam there and it is more likely that he is tendered and sent to GR, as he has cleared waivers in the past... Ritola is more likely to be claimed and Eaves flat out earned an every day spot last year... couple that with the fact that Holland said he is going to sign a guy with "grit" and it just ads to the logjam... there's a VERY good chance already that Draper will be a healthy scratch more often than not...

I'd like him to stay with the organization, just hopefully with GR, at least for now...

Edited by stevkrause, 15 June 2010 - 01:56 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#37 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,291 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:02 PM

I like Drew Miller, but he's redundant. I would rather have Eaves out of the two.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#38 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,691 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

I do,but I feel there are better options out there.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#39 StevieY9802

StevieY9802

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

I like him just fine for a 4th line guy... the problem is, there is a logjam there and it is more likely that he is tendered and sent to GR, as he has cleared waivers in the past... Ritola is more likely to be claimed and Eaves flat out earned an every day spot last year... couple that with the fact that Holland said he is going to sign a guy with "grit" and it just ads to the logjam... there's a VERY good chance already that Draper will be a healthy scratch more often than not...

I'd like him to stay with the organization, just hopefully with GR, at least for now...

I agree there is a logjam on the 4th line. He's cleared waiver in the past but I don't think he will after a 10 goal season and was great on the PK. And Holland said he would like to sign someone with grit but that's easier said then done with stupid gm's paying bigger money for a 4th line grinder.

I do,but I feel there are better options out there.

I think you'll be waiting a while for someone better with a cap friendly salary.

Again I agree there is a logjam on the 4th line which could make Drew expendable. I am just not confident they will be able to sign the grit the Wings will want for a price that works for them.

Edited by StevieY9802, 15 June 2010 - 02:27 PM.

#40 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 03:05 PM

i like your idea, as pretty much ALL wings teams that won the cup had 3 and 1. i personally think ritola should be given a shot on your 3rd scoring line. he's a smart player with great hands. eaves can be re-signed and put on the 3rd line or i would go out on a limb and say andersson or callahan can show us what they got. but i see those 2 kickin ass in GR this season. i cant wait to see someone like landon ferraro on a line with helm and abby.

Only the '02 team really had 3 scoring lines. Our last run, Hudler was the only real scorer in the bottom 6. Cleary, Draper, Drake, Helm, Maltby, and McCarty were the other players on our 3rd/4th lines.

Even in the back to back years, when we weren't constrained by a salary cap, we had players like Doug Brown, Brent Gilchrist, Lapointe, McCarty, and Homer in his first playoff. Even Larionov at that stage of his career wasn't really a scorer, nor was he consistently in the bottom 6. What set us apart was getting big goals from players you wouldn't normally expect. Maltby in 97, Lapointe and Homer in 98.

What we did have in all those years was a great top 6, excellent goaltending, and top-notch team defense. And you'll have to sacrifice at least one of those things if you try to load up a third line with 3rd-rate scorers.