• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
djdan

kirill kabanov

Rate this topic

he is on the radar screen .....

i am from quebec city ,I saw her play last year in the qmjhl, he's very very good, I'd love to see him play with the wings, but there are going to decide to play in the khl or come in the nhl ...

Edited by djdan

Kabanov can not play in the KHL for the next 2 years, and he has said he will never go back to play in Russia. I will just copy and paste all my other stuff from other threads.

HF Boards Thread

After reading the last 3ish pages of this thread I dont dislike Kabanov as much.

Here is a quoted post from someone on that site.

Coming into the Combine, Atlanta GM Rick Dudley, said, "If [Kiril Kabanov] comes in and there's a certain level of humility and you get the sincerity in the player and a commitment to play in whatever league he's asked to play in by his National Hockey League team, that means something."

NHL

Kiril Kabanov's remarks to the media after physical testing at the NHL Combine. You be the judge. To my ears, Kiril's sincere:

Oilers.nhl.tv

“It was my mistake,” Kabanov admitted when asked about Moncton. “I was stupid and I recognize that now.”

"I just wanted to explain to them (NHL GMs) what I did wrong this season," he said of his motivation going into the combine. "Smart people learn from other people's mistakes and stupid people learn from their own mistakes ... I was kind of a stupid guy. But everything happens for a reason."

Yahoo Sports

“I want to be a star, I want to play in the NHL,” he said. “Next year I'll play wherever my NHL team tells me. CHL, AHL, I don't care.”

The Hockey News

Later he turned on the charm offensive and Kiril, understandably, had nothing nice to say about the KHL who had targeted him with threats and strong arm tactics.

“I played one year in the KHL, then I came to the Quebec League,” he said. “And the hotels were better in the Quebec League!”

Kabanov was asked if he had any advice for younger Russian prospects.

"Run," he said. "Run to North America."

The Hockey News

Why did JP Barry, agent to the stars, walk away from a high profile client and presumably a handsome commission check? I don't think it had anything to do with Kiril's charm offensive at the Combine.

I'm guessing it was too much of a hassle dealing with Kiril and his father, Sergei Kabanov, a wealthy businessman and former Russian Army boxing champion.

Sergei Kabanov

(Source: http://hockey-observer.blogspot.com/...s-pity-we.html)

What the Kabanovs fail to understand is that Kiril's draft bid was much more attractive when it meant NHL GMs were dealing with JP Barry. Now that they're back to dealing with father and son, I doubt he goes in the first round.

After reading the statements he made at the combine and such it seems like he wants to get everything back on track and is pretty dedicated to playing in the NHL someday. It all seemed pretty sincere anyways.

Kabanov has top 3 talent in this draft. If he is as dedicated to making the NHL and fixing his mistakes as he claims he is the odds are pretty good he could be the best player coming out of this years draft. Not taking the risk on Kabanov would be the mistake.

Edited by cjm502

yea i asked Nill about him during the live chat with him on freep today and he said that he spoke with him at the combine and that he is a very nice kid and very very talented and said "it will be interesting to see where he falls to at the draft"

Hopefully not to us or if he does we don;t take him. I don't want some prima donna european again like the last few we've had in here. Rhyno and Axelson had no warning signs they might stay in Europe, this guy does and we're gonna take him in the first round. No thanks.

Hopefully not to us or if he does we don;t take him. I don't want some prima donna european again like the last few we've had in here. Rhyno and Axelson had no warning signs they might stay in Europe, this guy does and we're gonna take him in the first round. No thanks.

Risks vs. rewards, man. If the Wings have an opportunity to draft a kid of this talent level they should take it.

Risks vs. rewards, man. If the Wings have an opportunity to draft a kid of this talent level they should take it.

Theres guy who have 1st line talent that might slip to us without having the risks Kabanov does.

His teammates in Moncton basically kicked him off the team, then when the draft comes along he backtracks and says I shouldn't have acted that way so he wont hurt his draft status.

Seems like a big act to me.

He's got a funny last name.

Just like Volchenkov, Kozlov, Ovechkin. Those guys should all play on the same team since their names have animal connotations in Russian. :D But apparently some dumb ass here on LGW doesn't get that.

I've honestly never heard of him until this thread.

Edited by GMRwings1983

Theres guy who have 1st line talent that might slip to us without having the risks Kabanov does.

His teammates in Moncton basically kicked him off the team, then when the draft comes along he backtracks and says I shouldn't have acted that way so he wont hurt his draft status.

Seems like a big act to me.

Given his age it might not be - he's just a kid.

Guest Lidstromboli
Rhyno and Axelson had no warning signs they might stay in Europe, this guy does and we're gonna take him in the first round. No thanks

yeah it seems like Kabanov will bolt to the KHL as soon as he can

“I want to be a star, I want to play in the NHL,” he said. “Next year I'll play wherever my NHL team tells me. CHL, AHL, I don't care.”
Kabanov was asked if he had any advice for younger Russian prospects.

"Run," he said. "Run to North America."

yeah it seems like Kabanov will bolt to the KHL as soon as he can

Yeah all comments made leading up to the draft after the season was over and he was kicked off his team by his teammates. Even if what he said is true, which I doubt, it doesn't mean he is good in the locker room.

I like small soft europeans on the red wings........ I said that, doesn't mean its true though

True - however chances are if this kid is an A-hole at age 18 - there's a good chance he'll be an A-hole at age 22, and older.

True. There isn't huge difference between an 18 year old and a 23 year old guy. Thats more then enough time for him to be a prick, burn his bridges and decide to go somewhere else.

If we're takign a Russian I would take Tarasenko over this guy. (but I wouldn't go Russian in the first round at all)

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

True. There isn't huge difference between an 18 year old and a 23 year old guy. Thats more then enough time for him to be a prick, burn his bridges and decide to go somewhere else.

If we're takign a Russian I would take Tarasenko over this guy. (but I wouldn't go Russian in the first round at all)

I'd say the first part of your post is a very case by case issue. From all reports I've heard, the main problem is his dad, not him. When you're 17, you still in general look to your parents for guidance to an extent, but by the time hes 23, I really think most have their own future in mind.

I'd want to take a chance at him, he may be one of the best pure talent in the Draft, and as much as I like some of the stay at home defensemen that our projected to us, He's simply too good to pass up.

IMO, Tarasenko seems like a big risk to stay in Russia. It doesn't sound like his dad (also his coach) wants him coming to NA.

Andrei Tarasenko, Vladimir's father, is the head coach of Sibir Novosibirsk, ...

On what he thought of Russian junior players going to the CHL to play, Tarasenko said, “I can only say that it’s complicated. There are those who achieve something and there are also those that disappear. Just think about it – you’re a 17-year-old kid who goes there on your own. Maybe deep in his heart, that’s something that Vladimir wants. But it’s very important to choose the right moment to do that. We want it to be a step forward, not a step back.

“I think it’s important for my son to stay [in Russia] for awhile, gain experience and become a respected hockey player. CHL – is a junior league. In Russia he plays against men. I think it’s better even comparing to Canadian juniors. Again it’s very difficult to be abroad without any relatives or close friends. There’s got to be someone to lend a hand or advice when he needs it. Vladimir is a kind of guy that needs somebody to support him.”

I like the comments from Kabanov, and think the whole situation was probably exaggerated quite a bit in the first place. He's also a better talent. I probably wouldn't take him in the first round either, depending on who else was available, but he would be the first Russian I'd take.

IMO, Tarasenko seems like a big risk to stay in Russia. It doesn't sound like his dad (also his coach) wants him coming to NA.

I like the comments from Kabanov, and think the whole situation was probably exaggerated quite a bit in the first place. He's also a better talent. I probably wouldn't take him in the first round either, depending on who else was available, but he would be the first Russian I'd take.

Yeah I wouldn't think twice about picking Kabanov in the second round but a first round pick this high its toor isky to take a guy who might never even come over here, especially when he's a proven locker room cancer. Skill can only get you so far.

It would be like when Avery got ran out of Detroit because he was a head case, Kabanov has headcase written all over him.