• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Wings sign Ilari Filppula 1yr/$500k

Rate this topic

the Detroit Red Wings have signed Ilari Filppula to a 1 year contract. He is the older brother of Valtteri Filppula. Filppula started his pro career in Kiekko-Vantaa, in the Finnish lower leagues, and after two years with JYP, he spent a season with Jokerit, and then returned to JYP with a two-year contract. In 2008, he signed a 2-year contract with TPS. Filppula won the Jari Kurri trophy in 2010.

I love this move by Holland. Hopefully he can form a dynamic duo onthe Wings in the near future!

:thumbup:

interesting sign, since it was a 1 year deal and I don't see him making the big club... maybe it was for both parties to see how he likes the NA game in GR, before there's a longer commitment, but they still could have retained his rights... just found it odd it wasn't at least a 2 yr deal...

In all honestly I don't get this signing. I understand that its Flip's big bro and all but we don't need another playmaker IMO...more of a Drake type or actual scorer. Unless they plan to use him once someone else moves along come 2012 season and if they can afford him by then.

It's primarily for Grand Rapids. If he impresses, it might be a different story, but he'll be in GR. It doesn't have an impact on the Wings prospective signing(s).

I think this is an amazing signing. If Ilari plays hard in camp and actually makes the big boy squad, it could push Valtteri to have the "break out year" some of us have been expecting. Having 6 brothers myself i know the great impact sibling rivalry can have. Plus he (Ilari) won't have the the attitude Leino had, so all around I like this signing. Great depth signing, and thats what the wings need at this time... depth.

Honestly, there is nothing to dislike about this signing. Val's brother cost almost nothing to gain a player with some obvious offensive potential, even if it's only to play with the kids in GR. What's the worst that can happen? He plays terrible and returns back to Finland while we lose nothing. What's the best that can happen? He plays solid in the preseason and provides some decent offense while invigorating his brother. What will probably happen? He'll spend the season in Grand Rapids and help the offensively starved Griffins score some points. No downside.

Edited by thedatsyukian

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Yes, not only will he help our depth, but we also will have the best Eurodance team ever.

Honestly, there is nothing to dislike about this signing. Val's brother cost almost nothing to gain a player with some obvious offensive potential, even if it's only to play with the kids in GR. What's the worst that can happen? He plays terrible and returns back to Finland while we lose nothing. What's the best that can happen? He plays solid in the preseason and provides some decent offense while invigorating his brother. What will probably happen? He'll spend the season in Grand Rapids and help the offensively starved Griffins score some points. No downside.

That's my thought too, I just would have preferred it be at least a 2 yr deal, so if he does blow everyone away, we don't have to give him a raise, or lose him in the off season... plus, he could still return to Finland, we'd just own his rights... stilll nothing to dislike about this signing! :thumbup: