• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Wings sign Ilari Filppula 1yr/$500k

Rate this topic

No worries every Finnish elite league team has some of the ugliest uni's ever! Prepared for Finnish Wing to nail me on this one :hehe:

No clue on this kid's potential but the skill set seems to be there so we will see if brother can score more. Not sure about that last statement, meant more points. Bah whatever potential dual Flips. I'm in by what the videos are showing.

That's my thought too, I just would have preferred it be at least a 2 yr deal, so if he does blow everyone away, we don't have to give him a raise, or lose him in the off season... plus, he could still return to Finland, we'd just own his rights... stilll nothing to dislike about this signing! :thumbup:

Just own up, you knew this already and this is what you meant by 70 points by Filppula(s) .:hehe:

/end sarcasm

Hopefully this works out.

Edited by HankthaTank

Guest Heaten

I'm all for a Ritola-v.Filppula-i.Filppula 3rd line :thumbup:

That said, I have no idea what i.flip's potential is. But one can hope he is a steal.

They're probably bringing him in (like everyone said) as depth/for GR, and to push Ritola in camp. Either way, looks like we have a #81 again if he keeps it.

The 2 Filppulas are almost the exact same height and weight and they look exactly the same. They have a very similar playing style (shocker). I expect Big Filp to do well, he tore up the SM Liiga last year and was the playoff MVP. He could be our next 3rd line scorer, and I do expect him to make the Wings during the pre season. He is also said to be very strong on the puck for the league he plays in, but we all know how little that means when it comes to converting to North American hockey.

Edited by cjm502

No worries every Finnish elite league team has some of the ugliest uni's ever! Prepared for Finnish Wing to nail me on this one :hehe:

No clue on this kid's potential but the skill set seems to be there so we will see if brother can score more. Not sure about that last statement, meant more points. Bah whatever potential dual Flips. I'm in by what the videos are showing.

I agree with this, but instead, we don't have commercials every other minute.

About the signing. This year was the first year I've actually watched him. Everyone knew he had much potential before, but he turned out to be a late bloomer and eventually dominated the league. So the signing is much like the Leino-signing (one year, two-way deal). Leino was a little younger though. Even though Ilari is 28, I believe he can still take steps forward. Whether his future is in the NHL, remains to be seen. One thing is for sure though, even though he was explosive offensively, he also has a good two-way game as he had spent the earlier years mostly playing on the bottom 6 and on the PK.

As said before, nothing to lose in this signing. He can play offensive and defensive roles in GR, so I'm pretty sure he's not eating any prospects ice-time. Low risk, medium reward.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Fixed.

Not sure why I got minus-3 for that. He has a two-way contract, has never played North American hockey before and has agreed to play in Grand Rapids if need be. Don't get angry at me that that's where he'll spend his FIRST season in North America. Not my fault :rolleyes:

Good signing for Grand Rapids at any rate.

Guest mindfly

Not sure why I got minus-3 for that. He has a two-way contract, has never played North American hockey before and has agreed to play in Grand Rapids if need be. Don't get angry at me that that's where he'll spend his FIRST season in North America. Not my fault :rolleyes:

Don't forget that he's 28 years old(!) not much room for improvement, it's downfall for most players starting at that age...

Don't forget that he's 28 years old(!) not much room for improvement, it's downfall for most players starting at that age...

You have certain amount of potential. Some players max it out at younger age already. For other it takes more time.

Maybe it's because after you "fixed" it, it said he'll spend the season playing 3rd line in GR.

Maybe it's because after you "fixed" it, it said he'll spend the season playing 3rd line in GR.

The emphasis was on it being in GR, not the Wings. The line wasnt important. Anyone who watches Grand Rapids (the three who negged me probably dont) will know the 3rd line gets nearly as much ice time as the 1st anyway.