No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Wings sign Ilari Filppula 1yr/$500k

Rate this topic

I like vFlip and iFlip

iFlip?

a new Apple product?

Someone with great photoshop skills should create a picture of Illari with a mac logo on his chest and the iPod text underneath saying iFlip, haha

Edited by stevkrause

iFlip?

a new Apple product?

Someone with great photoshop skills should create a picture of Illari with a mac logo on his chest and the iPod text underneath saying iFlip, haha

Yep. I like iFlip for that reason. and vFlip sounds like a newer version of something.

Noone is really trashing him, just nobody is excited about him really. He's 28, never played in NA and doesn't provide anything the wings need. A guy like him is wasted on the 4th line, our third line is pretty much set and he wont be a top 6 here.

At 28 your potential is pretty much tapped out.

The league he plays in is one of the closest resembling the NHL... smaller rinks and more physical play.

I can pretty much count several players who have shown talent past 28 years of age... Tim Thomas would be a prime candidate for that argument.

I'm not saying he'll definitely play up this year, but I think he has a chance to compete for a 12th or 13th spot....

The league he plays in is one of the closest resembling the NHL... smaller rinks and more physical play.

I can pretty much count several players who have shown talent past 28 years of age... Tim Thomas would be a prime candidate for that argument.

I'm not saying he'll definitely play up this year, but I think he has a chance to compete for a 12th or 13th spot....

Goalies are a different story then forwards. Forwards take the least amount of time to develop and goalies take the longest. Howard is 26 and just coming into the NHL for gods sake.

There are a lot of leagues that are very close to the NHL, but if he's 28, never played in the NHL he hardly has anytime to adjust to the hockey before he's on the decline physically. At 28 your potential is tapped out. Having him as the 12 or 13 forward iss tupid too. We don't need a soft play maker trying to set up guy like Draper, Meech or Miller. Those guys need someone to get in hard on tehf orecheck with them and grind down low.

Goalies are a different story then forwards. Forwards take the least amount of time to develop and goalies take the longest. Howard is 26 and just coming into the NHL for gods sake.

There are a lot of leagues that are very close to the NHL, but if he's 28, never played in the NHL he hardly has anytime to adjust to the hockey before he's on the decline physically. At 28 your potential is tapped out. Having him as the 12 or 13 forward iss tupid too. We don't need a soft play maker trying to set up guy like Draper, Meech or Miller. Those guys need someone to get in hard on tehf orecheck with them and grind down low.

No it isn't. You have certain amount of potential. Some guys max it out later than others and this is definitely one of those cases.

Wasn't Johan Franzen drafted at the age of 24. And he didn't really become what he is until he was 26, and he currently is 30. So if we are going to go with the forward argument, I don't think it is completely valid. I would say if a player doesn't get drafted til 24 and bloom until 26, then someone has a chance at 28. Samuelsson (perhaps I'm not helping myself with him as an example), is 33 years old and didn't hit his stride (he was in the NHL the whole time, I might add) until about 4-5 years ago when he started playing with the wings. This would make him 28-29 years of age. I'm not saying this is what WILL happen with Filpulla but I am saying that I think a player can come into their own in the later stages of their career.

Wasn't Johan Franzen drafted at the age of 24. And he didn't really become what he is until he was 26, and he currently is 30. So if we are going to go with the forward argument, I don't think it is completely valid. I would say if a player doesn't get drafted til 24 and bloom until 26, then someone has a chance at 28. Samuelsson (perhaps I'm not helping myself with him as an example), is 33 years old and didn't hit his stride (he was in the NHL the whole time, I might add) until about 4-5 years ago when he started playing with the wings. This would make him 28-29 years of age. I'm not saying this is what WILL happen with Filpulla but I am saying that I think a player can come into their own in the later stages of their career.

Yeah but they also took time in the NHL and became accustomed to the North american game for a couple of years before they hit their stride around the age 28. Filpulla is going to take time to adjust for a season or 2 then he'll be 30 so he will be on the decline pretty much right when he hits his stride.

At 28 with no NHL experience or North American experience its doubtful that this guy will get much better at all.

No it isn't. You have certain amount of potential. Some guys max it out later than others and this is definitely one of those cases.

Sorry I didn't realize that there is something in the Finnish water that makes their players get considerably better at age 28. He's halfway done his prime with no NHL or North American experience so he hardly has any potential.

Oh it was finnish wing and this is a finnish player of course the player has lots of "potential"

Some of the bickering over this topic is flat out dumb. "ZOMG he has potential" ..."nutuh he's 28 you can never have potential after the age of 3"...... "ZOMG yes you can" ...."nutuh no you cant" .

People, we signed a guy with basic offensive talent for DIRT cheap, whats the problem. If he does well AWESOME, if not what are we losing? I for one hope he makes the squad and puts up 40 points. It may or may not happen, but if it does why complain?

Sorry I didn't realize that there is something in the Finnish water that makes their players get considerably better at age 28. He's halfway done his prime with no NHL or North American experience so he hardly has any potential.

Oh yeah, wait. How many games have you seen him play again? How can you say he's got no potential left if you haven't even seen his progress? You're just making assumptions like you usually do.

I'm not saying he has potential. I'm saying players can still improve their game at their late 20's and there are numerous examples of that. You as a Redwings fan should know it.

I usually agree with you on a lot of your posts, but this is way off... some guys are late bloomers and Datsyuk really didn't reach his full potential until he was 29... plus, since he hasn't been playing in NA, it's hard to quantify what he will be in this style... I doubt he'll make the team out of camp and I'm sure he'll be in GR in a scoring role, whereas, if he impresses, could be used as a call up for a scoring role with the Wings... it's a 1 year deal and he is waiver eligible since this is his first contract, so there's really zero risk and who knows, maybe we catch lightning in a bottle... but to say a guys potential is tapped at 28 is a VERY blanket statement and not true...

Some of the bickering over this topic is flat out dumb. "ZOMG he has potential" ..."nutuh he's 28 you can never have potential after the age of 3"...... "ZOMG yes you can" ...."nutuh no you cant" .

People, we signed a guy with basic offensive talent for DIRT cheap, whats the problem. If he does well AWESOME, if not what are we losing? I for one hope he makes the squad and puts up 40 points. It may or may not happen, but if it does why complain?

Agreed... lets just take it for what it is - a cheap, depth signing that improves GR and MAYBE we catch lightning in a bottle... it's a good signing as there is zero risk

I usually agree with you on a lot of your posts, but this is way off... some guys are late bloomers and Datsyuk really didn't reach his full potential until he was 29... plus, since he hasn't been playing in NA, it's hard to quantify what he will be in this style... I doubt he'll make the team out of camp and I'm sure he'll be in GR in a scoring role, whereas, if he impresses, could be used as a call up for a scoring role with the Wings... it's a 1 year deal and he is waiver eligible since this is his first contract, so there's really zero risk and who knows, maybe we catch lightning in a bottle... but to say a guys potential is tapped at 28 is a VERY blanket statement and not true...

Agreed... lets just take it for what it is - a cheap, depth signing that improves GR and MAYBE we catch lightning in a bottle... it's a good signing as there is zero risk

This.

He could improve slightly fro better coaching etc in the NHL. But comparing a guy that is going to be 29 in his first NHL season to someone like Dats who played in the NHL, adjusted to the style of the game and still had time with prime years of his body left to play once he is adjusted.

Comparing Datsyuk to a guy who didn't have the skills to get drafted, then played til he was 28 in a European league and isn't going to start NA hockey until he is 29 is a bit of a stretch.

The guy is almost 30 without having played a single game in North America, if he gets better in GR next year he'll have a few seasons until his body really starts to go on the decline.

He isn't superman his body isn't going to last forever even if he is a skilled player.

I don't see why this is a bad signing, but I also don't see how I. Flip can break onto the Wings next year. Unless we sign any of the remaining forwards to one-year contracts, there will only be one forward spot available next season. Mursak, Tatar, and I. Flip will all contend for this spot, and there will be two losers here unless the Wings trade away some top-9 talent before the 2011 season starts. The competition is great for the Wings (and GR); hopefully the Wings can somehow capitalize on this without giving away talent.

Will Filpullas brother start the season on the roster or most likely be in Grand Rapids? I am hoping he and Valterri could play on the same line together, anyone think this will happen??

Will Filpullas brother start the season on the roster or most likely be in Grand Rapids? I am hoping he and Valterri could play on the same line together, anyone think this will happen??

Grand Rapids and you butchered Val's first and last name by the way.

I don't think Flip the elder will make the Wings and it wouldn't surprise me if he never plays a game in the Winged-wheel, but I don't see what people are getting upset about. He's cheap, on a two way contract and will add some needed depth to Grand Rapids.

I'm really hoping they can be on the same line together at least at some point in the season. I'm sure they'd have some chemistry together and might be pretty fun to watch them.

Who else would you put on the line with them?

I'm really hoping they can be on the same line together at least at some point in the season. I'm sure they'd have some chemistry together and might be pretty fun to watch them.

Who else would you put on the line with them?

I'd probably put them with someone who can clear some space for them, like Abdelkader or Cleary. I say that only because I'd be a little worried about Ilari's defensive play in his first season in North America.

Do you hope they play together because you've actually seen them together and you liked what you saw, or because you'd think it would be neat to see the brothers on the ice together and you're hopefull that they'd play well together? Serious question.

There is something really cool about being on the ice with a family member. We iced a beer league line completely made up of my family once when my brother and his wife came to visit. My uncle paired Defensively with my wife, and I centerred a line with my brother and his wife. My sister in law is an awesome hockey player. I'll never forget her mucking in our own corner with two guys and then coming out with the puck and yelling at my brother "Go deep, Love! and she hit him with a tape to tape pass for a rush.

It would be really cool if this IFilp move works out.