Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Wings sign Ilari Filppula 1yr/$500k

• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#21 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:19 AM

We're getting our own "Sedin twins" (I know they are not actually twins)
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#22 thedatsyukian

thedatsyukian

I was terror since the public school era

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:22 AM

Honestly, there is nothing to dislike about this signing. Val's brother cost almost nothing to gain a player with some obvious offensive potential, even if it's only to play with the kids in GR. What's the worst that can happen? He plays terrible and returns back to Finland while we lose nothing. What's the best that can happen? He plays solid in the preseason and provides some decent offense while invigorating his brother. What will probably happen? He'll spend the season in Grand Rapids and help the offensively starved Griffins score some points. No downside.

Edited by thedatsyukian, 16 June 2010 - 11:26 AM.

kay

#23 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

This isn't the offseason signing i expected nor wanted :(

#24 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:33 AM

Yes, not only will he help our depth, but we also will have the best Eurodance team ever.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#25 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

Honestly, there is nothing to dislike about this signing. Val's brother cost almost nothing to gain a player with some obvious offensive potential, even if it's only to play with the kids in GR. What's the worst that can happen? He plays terrible and returns back to Finland while we lose nothing. What's the best that can happen? He plays solid in the preseason and provides some decent offense while invigorating his brother. What will probably happen? He'll spend the season in Grand Rapids and help the offensively starved Griffins score some points. No downside.

That's my thought too, I just would have preferred it be at least a 2 yr deal, so if he does blow everyone away, we don't have to give him a raise, or lose him in the off season... plus, he could still return to Finland, we'd just own his rights... stilll nothing to dislike about this signing! :thumbup:

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#26 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:52 AM

I more or less got off to the fact that we had one Filppula....now that we have two...my god :ph34r:
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#27 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:55 AM

No worries every Finnish elite league team has some of the ugliest uni's ever! Prepared for Finnish Wing to nail me on this one :hehe:

No clue on this kid's potential but the skill set seems to be there so we will see if brother can score more. Not sure about that last statement, meant more points. Bah whatever potential dual Flips. I'm in by what the videos are showing.
TO WHOM MUCH IS GIVEN, MUCH IS EXPECTED.

#28 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

i was pretty surprised to see this. if ilari was coming to north america, it would make sense that he comes to the wings/griffins org, but it was kinda out of left field. i'm glad they signed him though. it would be cool if he panned out and played on a line with val.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#29 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

He might add a little scoring depth to Grand Rapids' third line, but I'd be surprised if he accumulated more than 30 points, assuming he even makes the team.

But I'll be ready to eat my words if he wants to net 80.

Fixed.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#30 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:08 PM

We're getting our own "Sedin twins" (I know they are not actually twins)

yeah make sure you specify that or you will get flamed on here and strung up.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#31 SweWings

SweWings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,917 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:10 PM

If he makes the Red Wings that would be really cool but I'd be very surprised considering he isn't what they really NEED.

#32 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:26 PM

That's my thought too, I just would have preferred it be at least a 2 yr deal, so if he does blow everyone away, we don't have to give him a raise, or lose him in the off season... plus, he could still return to Finland, we'd just own his rights... stilll nothing to dislike about this signing! :thumbup:

Just own up, you knew this already and this is what you meant by 70 points by Filppula(s) .:hehe:

/end sarcasm

Hopefully this works out.

Edited by HankthaTank, 16 June 2010 - 12:27 PM.

#33 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:27 PM

I hope he makes the team and plays on a line with his bro. I just think that would be fun to see.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#34 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:29 PM

I hope he makes the team and plays on a line with his bro. I just think that would be fun to see.

I'm sure there will be a least a few games he plays with the Wings and we get to see that.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#35 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:40 PM

I'm all for a Ritola-v.Filppula-i.Filppula 3rd line :thumbup:

That said, I have no idea what i.flip's potential is. But one can hope he is a steal.

#36 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:42 PM

the filppula cycle? :ph34r:

if my dad sees this post he'll kick me in the junk :lol: dude hates the sedin's

either way, i hope this turns into a good signing.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#37 HankthaTank

HankthaTank

3rd Line Center

• Silver Booster
  • 4,815 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 12:43 PM

Haha take it easy guys. Sarcasm is not allowed my bad...

Neg central

#38 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

I think I saw that he wears #81. Thats just such a bad ass number! Man am I looking forward to this kid. I really hope he makes the team right out of camp. :thumbup:
be about it!

#39 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:36 PM

They're probably bringing him in (like everyone said) as depth/for GR, and to push Ritola in camp. Either way, looks like we have a #81 again if he keeps it.

#40 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

The 2 Filppulas are almost the exact same height and weight and they look exactly the same. They have a very similar playing style (shocker). I expect Big Filp to do well, he tore up the SM Liiga last year and was the playoff MVP. He could be our next 3rd line scorer, and I do expect him to make the Wings during the pre season. He is also said to be very strong on the puck for the league he plays in, but we all know how little that means when it comes to converting to North American hockey.

Edited by cjm502, 16 June 2010 - 01:46 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image