• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
IILeiBlazeII

Wings sign Ilari Filppula 1yr/$500k

Rate this topic

Like I have already said, I am expecting Ilari to make the big club. Pretty strong 2 way game and he could be that playmaker Bert needs to have with him on the 3rd line.

You have certain amount of potential. Some players max it out at younger age already. For other it takes more time.

cough*Johan Franzen*cough

The last thing we need is another small, skill player. I cant see him making the team, if we didnt have Drapes and his 1.5mil cap hit, I wouldnt mind him being the 14th forward for so cheap. But he'll be in GR for sure, when we signed Leino he took a whole year in GR and he was much better and much more hyped.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

People hate Valtteri enough around here, I feel terrible for Ilari lol

There is a difference between having realistic expectations for a player and hating. With that being said, I think Flip is finally ready to break out.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

The last thing we need is another small, skill player. I cant see him making the team, if we didnt have Drapes and his 1.5mil cap hit, I wouldnt mind him being the 14th forward for so cheap. But he'll be in GR for sure, when we signed Leino he took a whole year in GR and he was much better and much more hyped.

The difference between Filppula and Leino is Filppula's defensive play. Leino basically needed to be on top6 if he was to be called up. You have more options with Filppula, even if Leino was the better talent.

you gotta give the guy a chance to prove himself over here. i dont understand why everyone is already trashing him? put him in GR and lets see what he can do.

Noone is really trashing him, just nobody is excited about him really. He's 28, never played in NA and doesn't provide anything the wings need. A guy like him is wasted on the 4th line, our third line is pretty much set and he wont be a top 6 here.

At 28 your potential is pretty much tapped out.

I disagree.

I think he might play his way onto this team.

In the event that he does I think our lines should be something like this...

Hudler,Datsyuk,Holmstrom

Franzen,Zetterberg,Cleary

I.Filppula,V.Filppula,Bertuzzi(Ritola if no Bert)

Eaves,Helm,Abdelkader(Miller,Draper)

What do u guys think?

Edited by robb himself

I don't see how much success he could actually have here... but for some reason I want to chant "Ilari, Ilari. Filppula, Filpulla". I know, I don't get it either...

The only thing that has me scratching my head here is why it's a one-year deal. Usually when teams test out these guys from overseas it's at least a two-year thing. Maybe it's because, as many have discussed on here lately, Detroit is in need of some depth at center.

McGrath was a bust, Emmerton really needs to step it up next year and the jury's still out on whether one of Helm and Abs can be the 3rd line center the Wings need. Long term, I still think Joakim Andersson could be the guy. This could just be to stir up some competition in Grand Rapids. I think the centers will be Emmerton, Andersson, Raedeke (I think he's going, but it's not confirmed). Also, can't Rissmiller played center as well? He's not the Wings' property, but I'm pretty sure he's still there for a year.

PS: Somewhere, Staffan Kronwall is crying.

Edited by Jesusberg

Isn't it a CBA thing that only one-year deals are allowed for signing Group VI players from overseas? That's why Swedish goaltender Monster Monstersson was only on a one-year deal last year, and the Leafs' new Monster goaltender (whom I've already forgotten) is only a one-year deal...

There's been others, I'm sure.

Isn't it a CBA thing that only one-year deals are allowed for signing Group VI players from overseas? That's why Swedish goaltender Monster Monstersson was only on a one-year deal last year, and the Leafs' new Monster goaltender (whom I've already forgotten) is only a one-year deal...

There's been others, I'm sure.

It's not a restriction on overseas players. It's the age the player enters the Entry Level system.

18-21 3 years

22-23 2 years

24+ 1 year

Love this signing, love it. He'll be given a chance to make the Wings roster but 90% chance that he'll be sent down to Grand Rapids who badly need some more skill. Playing alongisde say Tatar and Mursak would be a huge boost to those guys.

Tartar and Filppula Sr - goal scorer and a passer... ummmmmmm ok rolleyes.gif

lol_wut.jpg

Don't bag on my boy Tatar. He's money and you know it.

We need an official way of telling them apart on here. when Ilari gets his official number we could just use that, but until then its gonna be confusing

What about "NHL Filppula" and "AHL Filppula"?

We could just call the cool one Val and the old one Goatse.

Not sure why I got minus-3 for that. He has a two-way contract, has never played North American hockey before and has agreed to play in Grand Rapids if need be. Don't get angry at me that that's where he'll spend his FIRST season in North America. Not my fault :rolleyes:

:thumbup:

Looking at some highlights there doesn't look like much contact goes on in the league he played in so I will have to agree with you. It might take him time to adjust to the physical part of NA hockey.

You are at -1 now :P

Guest Lidstromboli
We could just call the cool one Val and the old one Goatse.

i think making his official nickname Goatse is a top priority. it's a long stretch though

Looking at some highlights there doesn't look like much contact goes on in the league he played in so I will have to agree with you. It might take him time to adjust to the physical part of NA hockey.

Yeah, you can definitely judge that by looking at some goal highlights. :D

FEL is not as tough as NHL obviously. Even AHL is tougher, but it's right there after AHL. Please don't make comments like that if you haven't even seen a full game of the league. You're just makin yourself look stupid.

Yeah, you can definitely judge that by looking at some goal highlights. :D

FEL is not as tough as NHL obviously. Even AHL is tougher, but it's right there after AHL. Please don't make comments like that if you haven't even seen a full game of the league. You're just makin yourself look stupid.

Although it pains me to agree with you on any level (as your blatant country homer-ism usually clouds logic) - I have watched a bit of international hockey online and the FEL actually is one of the more physical leagues outside of North American hockey...

with that said - he never said they were "fragile euro's" and you're getting bent out of shape for no reason...

The bolded section is not the same as saying "they are weak and he can't handle it" he just said that it might take him time to adjust to the higher level of physicality played over here, and that doesn't even JUST apply to on ice, but the schedule and endurance as well over an 82 game schedule as opposed to a 56ish game season...

Edited by stevkrause

The bolded section is not the same as saying "they are weak and he can't handle it" he just said that it might take him time to adjust to the higher level of physicality played over here, and that doesn't even JUST apply to on ice, but the schedule and endurance as well over an 82 game schedule as opposed to a 56ish game season...

I agree with this.

About the homerism part - I just tend to talk about subjects I know more of, and that involves Finnish hockey in general.