• Please log in to reply
164 replies to this topic

#41 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:08 PM

Too bad he is another playmaker and not really the high percentage shooter we need. Someone has to put the pucks on net for Pete's sake.
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#42 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:11 PM

Nothing exciting here really. He won't make the team and he doesn't provide anything we don't already have.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#43 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:13 PM

Never heard of him...
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#44 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

No worries every Finnish elite league team has some of the ugliest uni's ever! Prepared for Finnish Wing to nail me on this one :hehe:

No clue on this kid's potential but the skill set seems to be there so we will see if brother can score more. Not sure about that last statement, meant more points. Bah whatever potential dual Flips. I'm in by what the videos are showing.

I agree with this, but instead, we don't have commercials every other minute.

About the signing. This year was the first year I've actually watched him. Everyone knew he had much potential before, but he turned out to be a late bloomer and eventually dominated the league. So the signing is much like the Leino-signing (one year, two-way deal). Leino was a little younger though. Even though Ilari is 28, I believe he can still take steps forward. Whether his future is in the NHL, remains to be seen. One thing is for sure though, even though he was explosive offensively, he also has a good two-way game as he had spent the earlier years mostly playing on the bottom 6 and on the PK.

As said before, nothing to lose in this signing. He can play offensive and defensive roles in GR, so I'm pretty sure he's not eating any prospects ice-time. Low risk, medium reward.

Edited by Finnish Wing, 16 June 2010 - 02:18 PM.

Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#45 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:25 PM

People hate Valtteri enough around here, I feel terrible for Ilari lol
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#46 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:26 PM

Fixed.

Not sure why I got minus-3 for that. He has a two-way contract, has never played North American hockey before and has agreed to play in Grand Rapids if need be. Don't get angry at me that that's where he'll spend his FIRST season in North America. Not my fault :rolleyes:

Good signing for Grand Rapids at any rate.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#47 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

Not sure why I got minus-3 for that. He has a two-way contract, has never played North American hockey before and has agreed to play in Grand Rapids if need be. Don't get angry at me that that's where he'll spend his FIRST season in North America. Not my fault :rolleyes:

Don't forget that he's 28 years old(!) not much room for improvement, it's downfall for most players starting at that age...

#48 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:31 PM

hopefully he works out!

"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#49 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:33 PM

Don't forget that he's 28 years old(!) not much room for improvement, it's downfall for most players starting at that age...

You have certain amount of potential. Some players max it out at younger age already. For other it takes more time.

Maybe it's because after you "fixed" it, it said he'll spend the season playing 3rd line in GR.

#50 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

Maybe it's because after you "fixed" it, it said he'll spend the season playing 3rd line in GR.

The emphasis was on it being in GR, not the Wings. The line wasnt important. Anyone who watches Grand Rapids (the three who negged me probably dont) will know the 3rd line gets nearly as much ice time as the 1st anyway.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak

#51 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:41 PM

Like I have already said, I am expecting Ilari to make the big club. Pretty strong 2 way game and he could be that playmaker Bert needs to have with him on the 3rd line.

You have certain amount of potential. Some players max it out at younger age already. For other it takes more time.

cough*Johan Franzen*cough
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,040 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:43 PM

The last thing we need is another small, skill player. I cant see him making the team, if we didnt have Drapes and his 1.5mil cap hit, I wouldnt mind him being the 14th forward for so cheap. But he'll be in GR for sure, when we signed Leino he took a whole year in GR and he was much better and much more hyped.

#NOMOREKINDL

#53 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:44 PM

People hate Valtteri enough around here, I feel terrible for Ilari lol

There is a difference between having realistic expectations for a player and hating. With that being said, I think Flip is finally ready to break out.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 16 June 2010 - 02:51 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#54 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

The last thing we need is another small, skill player. I cant see him making the team, if we didnt have Drapes and his 1.5mil cap hit, I wouldnt mind him being the 14th forward for so cheap. But he'll be in GR for sure, when we signed Leino he took a whole year in GR and he was much better and much more hyped.

The difference between Filppula and Leino is Filppula's defensive play. Leino basically needed to be on top6 if he was to be called up. You have more options with Filppula, even if Leino was the better talent.

#55 kylee

kylee

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,455 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

you gotta give the guy a chance to prove himself over here. i dont understand why everyone is already trashing him? put him in GR and lets see what he can do.

#56 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:18 PM

you gotta give the guy a chance to prove himself over here. i dont understand why everyone is already trashing him? put him in GR and lets see what he can do.

Noone is really trashing him, just nobody is excited about him really. He's 28, never played in NA and doesn't provide anything the wings need. A guy like him is wasted on the 4th line, our third line is pretty much set and he wont be a top 6 here.

At 28 your potential is pretty much tapped out.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#57 robb himself

robb himself

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

I disagree.

I think he might play his way onto this team.

In the event that he does I think our lines should be something like this...

Hudler,Datsyuk,Holmstrom
Franzen,Zetterberg,Cleary
I.Filppula,V.Filppula,Bertuzzi(Ritola if no Bert)
Eaves,Helm,Abdelkader(Miller,Draper)

What do u guys think?

Edited by robb himself, 16 June 2010 - 04:00 PM.

be about it!

#58 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,848 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

Just read that he's not the best skater...hmm...

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak

#59 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

I don't see how much success he could actually have here... but for some reason I want to chant "Ilari, Ilari. Filppula, Filpulla". I know, I don't get it either...

The only thing that has me scratching my head here is why it's a one-year deal. Usually when teams test out these guys from overseas it's at least a two-year thing. Maybe it's because, as many have discussed on here lately, Detroit is in need of some depth at center.

McGrath was a bust, Emmerton really needs to step it up next year and the jury's still out on whether one of Helm and Abs can be the 3rd line center the Wings need. Long term, I still think Joakim Andersson could be the guy. This could just be to stir up some competition in Grand Rapids. I think the centers will be Emmerton, Andersson, Raedeke (I think he's going, but it's not confirmed). Also, can't Rissmiller played center as well? He's not the Wings' property, but I'm pretty sure he's still there for a year.

PS: Somewhere, Staffan Kronwall is crying.

Edited by Jesusberg, 16 June 2010 - 04:20 PM.

#60 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:29 PM

Isn't it a CBA thing that only one-year deals are allowed for signing Group VI players from overseas? That's why Swedish goaltender Monster Monstersson was only on a one-year deal last year, and the Leafs' new Monster goaltender (whom I've already forgotten) is only a one-year deal...

There's been others, I'm sure.