• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings&Beer

Bertuzzi Signs 2 Year Deal

Rate this topic

I'll echo a couple of sentiments:

It's good that he's coming back. I wish he'd play with a little more grit, the way he used to. He seems almost afraid to hurt anyone anymore, and his game suffers because of it.

It's true, he likely could have gotten a lot more on the open market, so I'm not bothered by the raise.

Guest Crymson

Please add that those were points on a team with injury issues. I have to wonder if he will be as good if we stay healthy.

Not saying he isnt worth the money.... But 1.5 should of been fine IMO.

No offense, but this is dumb rationale. If he put up good points on a team that was neutered offensively for much of the year, logic would follow that he'll put up more points with a healthy team.

It's good that he's coming back. I wish he'd play with a little more grit, the way he used to. He seems almost afraid to hurt anyone anymore, and his game suffers because of it.

Much of the lessened physical play and lessened explosiveness can be attributed to his back problems and back surgeries.

I know his numbers were decent, but I really didn't want the Wings to re-sign Bert. My main concern isn't so much with Bert's numbers, but his apparent effect on Z's play. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Bert's style of play really did not seem to compliment Hank's, and there were far too many rushes up the ice cut short by a bad pass, or an ill-advised spin-o-rama that only ended up deking his linemates out of position. And the one hand on the stick drove me nuts at times. He looked a bit too casual a bit too often.

Now, I wouldn't mind so much if Babs would play Z with Pavel on the top line and let Bert fill a spot on the 2nd or 3rd line.

With Hudler coming back, we should have some decent scoring throughout the top three lines......especially if Cleary can remember where the net is located.

I'd like to see a top line of Zetterberg, Datsyuk & Holmstrom. That moves Franzen to the 2nd line with Filppula centering and either Bert or Hudler on the left wing. I'd prefer Hudler there, which moves Bert back with Cleary.....and likely Helm. That could be a nice 3rd line. Then, a 4th line of Draper, Abdelkader & Eaves would work.

Actually....that's not bad....especially if we can stay healthy this year.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom

Hudler, Filppula, Franzen

Bertuzzi, Helm, Cleary

Abdelkader, Draper, Eaves

Miller

Bottom line is that Babcock HAS to keep the Euro twins together this year. When they played together for a season, with Homer, they were the most dominant line in the league. I understand that injuries kinda forced them to play apart.......but they are a much more potent force when played together.

Okay, down from my "keep the Euro-twins together" soapbox in a Bertuzzi thread.

:)

With how weak the FA crop is this year, Bert probably could have gotten $2.5m on the open market. In other years, maybe not---but forward who can score are at a premium this year. There are so few of them. The same is true of goaltenders and good defensemen, for that matter.

Also, I laugh at Colby Armstrong and his demands for a $4m contract. Hahahaha. What a tool.

Jesus. A 3rd liner (at BEST) who takes horrible penalties 24/7 wants $4,000,000 a year? Is he ******* high?

Guest Crymson

Jesus. A 3rd liner (at BEST) who takes horrible penalties 24/7 wants $4,000,000 a year? Is he ******* high?

He makes $2.8m already, and the Thrashers cut off negotiations with him because he wanted an even higher salary; no doubt they thought he was overpaid as is.

It's true, he likely could have gotten a lot more on the open market, so I'm not bothered by the raise.

Last summer, after a month and a half of free agency with no one offering him s***, he took a 1 year deal for $1.5. He had an even worse season this year, and you guys think he could have gotten more than we gave him? Lean FA year or not, he would have been lucky to get another job at all, much less a better deal.

No offense, but this is dumb rationale. If he put up good points on a team that was neutered offensively for much of the year, logic would follow that he'll put up more points with a healthy team.

Not if he ends up on the third line. Someone will at any rate, and whoever it is will score fewer points than they otherwise would. And his points weren't good. Not for a top-liner at any rate.

Most likely it will be Filppula, as he's the best option for a third line center. I almost expect him to be traded now, after another 40-ish point season.

Hudler-Datsyuk-Homer

Franzen-Zetterberg-Bert

Cleary-Filppula-Eaves/Ritola

Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves/Draper

Makes the most sense.

Well, based on the statement in the article that Holland is working on deals with Miller, Abby, Helm, Eaves, and Meech, then one thing is clear:

Assuming that Miller, Eaves, Helm, and Abdelkader accept their qualifying offers, then we will likely see Miller, Eaves, and Ritola competing for the 13th forward spot, as otherwise the Wings will be over the cap with 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders signed for a full 23-man roster. The Wings don't have enough cap space for all three to be on the roster, nor would they want to carry two extra forwards if they don't have to.

If he put up the same points as this year but started laying the body down low a bit more he would for sure be worth this contract. I dunno if he has it in him but it seemed in the playoffs he got a bit meaner.

Wouldn't mind seeing him fight a couple times either.

Agreed. I wish he'd remember how f-ing big he is and start playing like it. 6'3" and 230 lbs, and Darren Helm hits harder than him.

If he uses his size more and stops taking stupid offensive zone penalties while maintaining his current level of play otherwise, I'll be ecstatic with this deal.

I do think it is odd that he got more than Homer did..seeing as Homer is a better player IMO...More points in less games - more integral to the PP

I hear that a little, but it is more then just ppg. When you look back at some of the goals scored, there is no comparing Homers and Berts goals. Bert scored some nice f*#$ing goals this year and some of those where BIG goals! So to be honest if I had to pick my own team to start tomorrow I'd for sure pick Bert over Homer, he just adds a little of...well everything I guess to the squad. However luckily for us we dont have to choose and we get both, and at good pricesclap.gif

With Bert back in the fold, Babs can again roll three different lines with "Net" presence...

Holmstrom

Franzen

Bertuzzi

Unless he has to be Franzen isn't really a net front presence during 5 on 5 situations. It's only on the PP where he plays in front of the net most of the time.

Almost 4 million/yr? Is this for real?

Frolov, Whitney or Kariya could have been signed for that amount or close to it. Uncharacteristically bad signing by Holland.

Bahaha.

I hear that a little, but it is more then just ppg. When you look back at some of the goals scored, there is no comparing Homers and Berts goals. Bert scored some nice f*#$ing goals this year and some of those where BIG goals! So to be honest if I had to pick my own team to start tomorrow I'd for sure pick Bert over Homer, he just adds a little of...well everything I guess to the squad. However luckily for us we dont have to choose and we get both, and at good pricesclap.gif

Are you actually comparing Holmstrom's worth to the team to Bertuzzi's? The two should not be mentioned in the same breath when talking about how important they are to the team.

<br>Are you actually comparing Holmstrom's worth to the team to Bertuzzi's? The two should not be mentioned in the same breath when talking about how important they are to the team.

Now or Loyality Factor?  No way will Bert mean more then Holmer does when it comes to the Wings but right now today I'd take Bert over Holmer is all. I guess we shall see in 10 months who's "worth" more to the team THIS season.:blush:

Edited by 13dangledangle

Frolov, Whitney or Kariya could have been signed for that amount or close to it. Uncharacteristically bad signing by Holland.

Not sure if you're kidding, but it's a 2-year deal. So that's the total for the whole contract, not each year.

The cap hit is $1.9375 mill per year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5294853

Hoping that Bert and Dats are starting off on the same line this coming season. If anyone remembers, they had great chemistry together. Yeah that was when Z was out but I'm still puzzled as to why Burt and Dats were never put back together on the same line.

Hoping that Bert and Dats are starting off on the same line this coming season. If anyone remembers, they had great chemistry together. Yeah that was when Z was out but I'm still puzzled as to why Burt and Dats were never put back together on the same line.

To be honest they took a long time until they even had ANY chemistry at all, and when they did it wasnt that impressive. Keep Bert with Flip and Mule, and put Z&D back together...ahmen.

Division by 2 is widely considered a simple task.