159 replies to this topic

#21 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,816 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:53 PM

Yikes almost 2 mil a year?

I don't like this signing.So much for getting younger....

I agree with ya that we could've used that $$$ towards some younger more physical guys via UFA - however if there's 1 thing Holland is guilty of it's his loyalty/going with players he knows.

On the bright side Bert was looking good the 2nd half of the season, and had decent numbers in the playoffs...Hopefully this will continue.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#22 hockey23

hockey23

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)
Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)
* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)
* Darren Helm ($1.000m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)
DEFENSEMEN
Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)
GOALTENDERS
Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
ROSTER: 20; CAP: $58.8m; PAYROLL: $56.043m; CAP ROOM: $2.757m BONUSES: $0.000m

This leaves 2.75 to sign a forward and a d man. I say let Miller, Eaves, and Meech walk, sign Lilja/UFA for 750k then spend the rest on a 3rd line winger.

#23 Phazon

Phazon

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:56 PM

if I was holmstrom i would be offended now.

#24 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:59 PM

if I was holmstrom i would be offended now.

I do think it is odd that he got more than Homer did..seeing as Homer is a better player IMO...More points in less games - more integral to the PP

#25 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:01 PM

I'll be pretty pissed if Miller is not brought back

Well Holland wants to get tougher on the bottom lines. If he is replaced by someone better then why would you be pissed?

For example if they sign Nystrom, huge upgrade over Miller.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#26 SouthernWingsFan

SouthernWingsFan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 24,609 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:04 PM

Posted Image

#27 Copenhagen848

Copenhagen848

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:05 PM

Great deal...Bert deserves it after the season he just had. I'm very pleased to have him back for 2 more seasons as a Wing.

#28 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

Well Holland wants to get tougher on the bottom lines. If he is replaced by someone better then why would you be pissed?

For example if they sign Nystrom, huge upgrade over Miller.

I like how he fits on the team. Think that he could be a 15 goal scorer with a full season on our team.

IMO With the exception of size Nystrom and Miller are pretty identical in terms of what they will bring to the team...but Miller will be cheaper.

They could upgrade...but it would be in cost too...Plus Miller became one of my favorites on the team...so I'm a little biased.

#29 dobbles

dobbles

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:10 PM

way too much for bertuzzi. the only reason he was a positive last year was because of his lower cap hit. he gets roughly a 30% raise even though he said he would only play for detroit or retire. also he said in the past that he would play for less money. so much for all of that.

I love Maltby, but to say he wasn't a ****** is a dis-service to his career of douchebaggery.

#30 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:15 PM

Bertuzzi was one of only 3 players to play all 82 this year, which was not bad at all considering many questioned if he could even play 50-60 due to his injury issues.

Which is still a concern, so I'm wondering how he managed to squeeze a raise and term out of Kenny. I'm okay with Bert but I'm not too convinced we'll be getting more 82 game seasons out of him.

My only concern now is that we're looking at seven forwards trying to fill six spots (Hank, Pavel, Franzen, Hudler, Bert, Homer, Flip). These guys are either too talented or completely useless for a traditional bottom six role. It will be interesting to see how the lines shake out. Will they try to make a third scoring line or are they good with playing one guy essentially out of position (in a completely healthy forward lineup, anyways).
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#31 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:18 PM

Which is still a concern, so I'm wondering how he managed to squeeze a raise and term out of Kenny. I'm okay with Bert but I'm not too convinced we'll be getting more 82 game seasons out of him.

My only concern now is that we're looking at seven forwards trying to fill six spots (Hank, Pavel, Franzen, Hudler, Bert, Homer, Flip). These guys are either too talented or completely useless for a traditional bottom six role. It will be interesting to see how the lines shake out. Will they try to make a third scoring line or are they good with playing one guy essentially out of position (in a completely healthy forward lineup, anyways).

With Cleary you could arguably make a 3rd scoring line. If Helm could get his hands a little stronger a 3rd line with Cleary Helm and the overflow of the other 7 could make a solid 3rd line.

#32 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:20 PM

I have a feeling Filppula might work himself out of that. I really hope not, but moving him down would address the need for a 3rd line center (even though he's capable of being better). To me Bert is a pretty streaky player, so who knows. Maybe he'll play some 3rd line minutes with Cleary and find some chemistry?

#33 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:23 PM

That sounds good. Competition amongst the depth forwards is always better, makes them play harder. I wonder if Kenny will pick up a grinder or defenceman now, or leave that cap room and allow us to pick up a more expensive guy at the deadline, I love the offseason :lol:

If I were Holland, I'd re-sign the RFAs and wait. The team, when it was healthy, was decent. With the addition of Hudler we'll be better. And "decent" is good enough for the first half of the season. We know something will go wrong by the trade deadline, and that extra space will really help find the piece that will put the team over the edge.

We know there really aren't any "missing puzzle pieces" in this off-season, so it's best just to wait and trade or sign someone at the trade deadline then not be able to.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#34 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:33 PM

In my opinion, it's too much, if he scored 44pts AND was physical and fought it would have been awesome...but now... :/

#35 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:43 PM

I like how he fits on the team. Think that he could be a 15 goal scorer with a full season on our team.

IMO With the exception of size Nystrom and Miller are pretty identical in terms of what they will bring to the team...but Miller will be cheaper.

They could upgrade...but it would be in cost too...Plus Miller became one of my favorites on the team...so I'm a little biased.

Offensively, defensively, and on the PK they will be pretty much even. Theyre the same age I'm pretty sure, but Nystrom provides that Dallas Drake type presence and the same scoring as Miller would. Miller doesn't hit and we need one more guy like that besides Abby to really have a punishing team. Nystrom fights too and probably has some untapped offensive potential yet since last year was his first full season and he was a 10th overall pick.

Miller isn't bad but him and Eaves are just so similar it seems dumb to have both of them when you could have another element brought to the team for 500k more.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#36 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:46 PM

Yikes almost 2 mil a year?

I was a bit bummed too but he did score 11pts in 12 playoff games (well half were in one game but still...). You have to pay out when the player puts those numbers up.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#37 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,064 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:15 PM

What are you guys complaining about?

$2 million a year is nothing compared to how much guys are being overpaid around the league.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#38 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:23 PM

Damn. Personally I didn't want to see Bertuzzi to be re-signed. IMO they overpaid for his 2 year deal. Oh well though. There is a reason why I am not the GM of the Wings and Ken Holland is not posting on LGW.
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#39 Booster313

Booster313

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:27 PM

It's a fair price, I know some would like us to sign the other FA 6'3 220 fowards with decent hands that put up almost 50pts and a ppg in the playoffs for the bargain basement price of 1.5million...(crickets)

Edited by Booster313, 16 June 2010 - 08:28 PM.

What kind of color is red? Red is a warning, a declaration, a color that says I'm ready to do what it takes. Red is focused and driven because red doesn't like second place. So what kind of color is red? Their kind.

#40 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,227 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:28 PM

I'm a bit bummed by the hit being as high as it is, but if Bert is willing to work on some issues in the offseason (ie don't take retard penalties, two hands on the stick, a little more body down low) I'll be pleased with this signing. In other words, the realm of this cap-hit isn't something to be completely disappointed about, because I feel he's potentially worth it. Its now his job to earn it.

Edited by Echolalia, 16 June 2010 - 08:28 PM.