• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#41 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

I'm a bit bummed by the hit being as high as it is, but if Bert is willing to work on some issues in the offseason (ie don't take retard penalties, two hands on the stick, a little more body down low) I'll be pleased with this signing. In other words, the realm of this cap-hit isn't something to be completely disappointed about, because I feel he's potentially worth it. Its now his job to earn it.

If he put up the same points as this year but started laying the body down low a bit more he would for sure be worth this contract. I dunno if he has it in him but it seemed in the playoffs he got a bit meaner.

Wouldn't mind seeing him fight a couple times either.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#42 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:34 PM

What are you guys complaining about?

$2 million a year is nothing compared to how much guys are being overpaid around the league.

It's not a terrible price, but it's still $2 million for 2 years for a player we didn't need, and who won't help much. I know I said I wouldn't hate it, but at that price and term it sucks.

Once Helm, Abby, a 7th defenseman, and 13th forward are signed, we'll be lucky to have $500k left for deadline moves.

Also, if we're lucky and Nick comes back again, this is our teams for two more years. We'll maybe lose Draper and Ozzie, replace them with nobodies, and spend the savings on raises for Howard and Ericsson. Hooray.

#43 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,172 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:38 PM

If he put up the same points as this year but started laying the body down low a bit more he would for sure be worth this contract. I dunno if he has it in him but it seemed in the playoffs he got a bit meaner.

Wouldn't mind seeing him fight a couple times either.

Exactly, and I don't even need to see it every game. I know as much as the next guy that Bert is getting old, and he has a back that tends not to agree with him, but if he can get into the corners and around the net and show just a little more grit when we really need it, he'll have earned every penny of that contract in my book, and his chances at his first Stanley Cup don't seem that bad either.

#44 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 08:41 PM

Which is still a concern, so I'm wondering how he managed to squeeze a raise and term out of Kenny. I'm okay with Bert but I'm not too convinced we'll be getting more 82 game seasons out of him.

My only concern now is that we're looking at seven forwards trying to fill six spots (Hank, Pavel, Franzen, Hudler, Bert, Homer, Flip). These guys are either too talented or completely useless for a traditional bottom six role. It will be interesting to see how the lines shake out. Will they try to make a third scoring line or are they good with playing one guy essentially out of position (in a completely healthy forward lineup, anyways).

This is good though to have some healthy competition between the guys. It shows who really wants it more and shows their true potential. We've all been on sports teams before, theres just that one guy that is just better than you and you train as hard as you can to get a spot as a starter or you lost your spot as a starter and want it back. Same thing.

#45 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:13 PM

Yikes almost 2 mil a year?

C'me on...He deserved a raise.The guy isnt a 4th line guy...45 points at 1.8 million is a great deal!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!
GUSTAV SNIPEQUIST!

#46 uk_redwing

uk_redwing

#25 Jamie Tardif

• Gold Booster
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:15 PM

He does put up the numbers, so I can stomach the bigger cap hit.

Posted Image
Turtling is for the weak
Grand Rapids Griffins Fights

#47 Hockeytown_Ryan

Hockeytown_Ryan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

C'me on...He deserved a raise.The guy isnt a 4th line guy...45 points at 1.8 million is a great deal!

Please add that those were points on a team with injury issues. I have to wonder if he will be as good if we stay healthy.

Not saying he isnt worth the money.... But 1.5 should of been fine IMO.

#48 king_malice

king_malice

Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

I like this i dont care if he got a little more then we all wanted, he carried us for like a month last year through the injuries and bad play, put up 44PTS. If he can cut back some of those penalties hes got the system down now and if the team can stay healthy i say there is no reason Bert doesnt put up between 50-60PTS

#49 xtrememachine1

xtrememachine1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

I hate to be a downer, but unless Bert finds the fountain of youth and reverts back to his 2003 form, this is a bad deal for the Wings. Statistically, his numbers were down from the previous year (44 points in 66 games in 09, 44 points in 82 games in '10), he's another year older and as I've mentioned before on this board, he doesn't exactly fit our system. The Wings system is about speed, passing and backchecking. He's slow, an average passer at best and barely plays any defense. Every time we pass him the puck, it easily gets stripped away. If anything, we should have gotten him for less than what we paid, not more.

#50 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

It's not a terrible price, but it's still $2 million for 2 years for a player we didn't need, and who won't help much. I know I said I wouldn't hate it, but at that price and term it sucks.

Once Helm, Abby, a 7th defenseman, and 13th forward are signed, we'll be lucky to have $500k left for deadline moves.

Also, if we're lucky and Nick comes back again, this is our teams for two more years. We'll maybe lose Draper and Ozzie, replace them with nobodies, and spend the savings on raises for Howard and Ericsson. Hooray.

I want to disagree here but I really can't. We're pinning everything on internal growth, which is fine, but at the same time it's scary because it's an unknown.

Although one positive is that he played every single game this season. That's a big step for Bertuzzi... he's not exactly known as an iron man. Maybe he can turn that health into more confidence in his physical game?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#51 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:47 PM

With how weak the FA crop is this year, Bert probably could have gotten $2.5m on the open market. In other years, maybe not---but forward who can score are at a premium this year. There are so few of them. The same is true of goaltenders and good defensemen, for that matter.

Also, I laugh at Colby Armstrong and his demands for a $4m contract. Hahahaha. What a tool.

Edited by Crymson, 16 June 2010 - 09:48 PM.

#52 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 09:54 PM

I'll echo a couple of sentiments:

It's good that he's coming back. I wish he'd play with a little more grit, the way he used to. He seems almost afraid to hurt anyone anymore, and his game suffers because of it.

It's true, he likely could have gotten a lot more on the open market, so I'm not bothered by the raise.

#53 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

Please add that those were points on a team with injury issues. I have to wonder if he will be as good if we stay healthy.

Not saying he isnt worth the money.... But 1.5 should of been fine IMO.

No offense, but this is dumb rationale. If he put up good points on a team that was neutered offensively for much of the year, logic would follow that he'll put up more points with a healthy team.

It's good that he's coming back. I wish he'd play with a little more grit, the way he used to. He seems almost afraid to hurt anyone anymore, and his game suffers because of it.

Much of the lessened physical play and lessened explosiveness can be attributed to his back problems and back surgeries.

#54 Thunderpriest

Thunderpriest

Rookie

• Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:01 PM

I know his numbers were decent, but I really didn't want the Wings to re-sign Bert. My main concern isn't so much with Bert's numbers, but his apparent effect on Z's play. Not sure if anyone else noticed, but Bert's style of play really did not seem to compliment Hank's, and there were far too many rushes up the ice cut short by a bad pass, or an ill-advised spin-o-rama that only ended up deking his linemates out of position. And the one hand on the stick drove me nuts at times. He looked a bit too casual a bit too often.
Now, I wouldn't mind so much if Babs would play Z with Pavel on the top line and let Bert fill a spot on the 2nd or 3rd line.
With Hudler coming back, we should have some decent scoring throughout the top three lines......especially if Cleary can remember where the net is located.

I'd like to see a top line of Zetterberg, Datsyuk & Holmstrom. That moves Franzen to the 2nd line with Filppula centering and either Bert or Hudler on the left wing. I'd prefer Hudler there, which moves Bert back with Cleary.....and likely Helm. That could be a nice 3rd line. Then, a 4th line of Draper, Abdelkader & Eaves would work.
Actually....that's not bad....especially if we can stay healthy this year.

Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Holmstrom
Hudler, Filppula, Franzen
Bertuzzi, Helm, Cleary
Abdelkader, Draper, Eaves
Miller

Bottom line is that Babcock HAS to keep the Euro twins together this year. When they played together for a season, with Homer, they were the most dominant line in the league. I understand that injuries kinda forced them to play apart.......but they are a much more potent force when played together.

Okay, down from my "keep the Euro-twins together" soapbox in a Bertuzzi thread.

:)
"I am the Lord of the wastelands, a modern day man of steel. I gather darkness to please me, and I command you to kneel..."

#55 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:02 PM

With how weak the FA crop is this year, Bert probably could have gotten $2.5m on the open market. In other years, maybe not---but forward who can score are at a premium this year. There are so few of them. The same is true of goaltenders and good defensemen, for that matter.

Also, I laugh at Colby Armstrong and his demands for a $4m contract. Hahahaha. What a tool.

Jesus. A 3rd liner (at BEST) who takes horrible penalties 24/7 wants $4,000,000 a year? Is hef****** high?
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#56 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:04 PM

Jesus. A 3rd liner (at BEST) who takes horrible penalties 24/7 wants $4,000,000 a year? Is hef****** high?

He makes $2.8m already, and the Thrashers cut off negotiations with him because he wanted an even higher salary; no doubt they thought he was overpaid as is.

#57 thegerkin

thegerkin

Statue of Liberty!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:11 PM

Welcome back Bert!!

#58 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:12 PM

It's true, he likely could have gotten a lot more on the open market, so I'm not bothered by the raise.

Last summer, after a month and a half of free agency with no one offering him s***, he took a 1 year deal for $1.5. He had an even worse season this year, and you guys think he could have gotten more than we gave him? Lean FA year or not, he would have been lucky to get another job at all, much less a better deal.

#59 syntax

syntax

Join the Empire!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

Happy with the signing, but man, we're running out of $$ fast.
The Vladinator He earned the NHL Plus/Minus Award in 1995-96, with a plus/minus difference of plus-60. The +60 has been the highest rating a player has finished with in the past 20 seasons, since Wayne Gretzky finished with a +70 in the 1986-87 NHL season

Pavel Datsyuk > x (where x is the name of any active hockey player)

#60 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:16 PM

With Bert back in the fold, Babs can again roll three different lines with "Net" presence...

Holmstrom
Franzen
Bertuzzi