• Please log in to reply
159 replies to this topic

#61 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:33 PM

No offense, but this is dumb rationale. If he put up good points on a team that was neutered offensively for much of the year, logic would follow that he'll put up more points with a healthy team.

Not if he ends up on the third line. Someone will at any rate, and whoever it is will score fewer points than they otherwise would. And his points weren't good. Not for a top-liner at any rate.

Most likely it will be Filppula, as he's the best option for a third line center. I almost expect him to be traded now, after another 40-ish point season.

Hudler-Datsyuk-Homer
Franzen-Zetterberg-Bert
Cleary-Filppula-Eaves/Ritola
Abdelkader-Helm-Eaves/Draper

Makes the most sense.

#62 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 10:38 PM

Well, based on the statement in the article that Holland is working on deals with Miller, Abby, Helm, Eaves, and Meech, then one thing is clear:

Assuming that Miller, Eaves, Helm, and Abdelkader accept their qualifying offers, then we will likely see Miller, Eaves, and Ritola competing for the 13th forward spot, as otherwise the Wings will be over the cap with 14 forwards, 7 defensemen, and 2 goaltenders signed for a full 23-man roster. The Wings don't have enough cap space for all three to be on the roster, nor would they want to carry two extra forwards if they don't have to.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#63 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:05 PM

If he put up the same points as this year but started laying the body down low a bit more he would for sure be worth this contract. I dunno if he has it in him but it seemed in the playoffs he got a bit meaner.

Wouldn't mind seeing him fight a couple times either.

Agreed. I wish he'd remember how f-ing big he is and start playing like it. 6'3" and 230 lbs, and Darren Helm hits harder than him.

If he uses his size more and stops taking stupid offensive zone penalties while maintaining his current level of play otherwise, I'll be ecstatic with this deal.

#64 magicaldatsyuk

magicaldatsyuk

Rookie

• Pip
  • 147 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:29 PM

yay! glad to have bert back, even though i thought it might be for less
"failing to prepare is the same as preparing for failure."- John Wooden

#65 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:46 PM

I do think it is odd that he got more than Homer did..seeing as Homer is a better player IMO...More points in less games - more integral to the PP

I hear that a little, but it is more then just ppg. When you look back at some of the goals scored, there is no comparing Homers and Berts goals. Bert scored some nice f*#$ing goals this year and some of those where BIG goals! So to be honest if I had to pick my own team to start tomorrow I'd for sure pick Bert over Homer, he just adds a little of...well everything I guess to the squad. However luckily for us we dont have to choose and we get both, and at good pricesPosted Image
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#66 blues_demitra38

blues_demitra38

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:51 PM

Almost 4 million/yr? Is this for real?

Frolov, Whitney or Kariya could have been signed for that amount or close to it. Uncharacteristically bad signing by Holland.

#67 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

With Bert back in the fold, Babs can again roll three different lines with "Net" presence...

Holmstrom
Franzen
Bertuzzi

Unless he has to be Franzen isn't really a net front presence during 5 on 5 situations. It's only on the PP where he plays in front of the net most of the time.

Frolov, Whitney or Kariya could have been signed for that amount or close to it. Uncharacteristically bad signing by Holland.

Bahaha.

#68 blues_demitra38

blues_demitra38

Rookie

• Pip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

I hear that a little, but it is more then just ppg. When you look back at some of the goals scored, there is no comparing Homers and Berts goals. Bert scored some nice f*#$ing goals this year and some of those where BIG goals! So to be honest if I had to pick my own team to start tomorrow I'd for sure pick Bert over Homer, he just adds a little of...well everything I guess to the squad. However luckily for us we dont have to choose and we get both, and at good pricesPosted Image

Are you actually comparing Holmstrom's worth to the team to Bertuzzi's? The two should not be mentioned in the same breath when talking about how important they are to the team.

#69 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 11:59 PM

<br>Are you actually comparing Holmstrom's worth to the team to Bertuzzi's? The two should not be mentioned in the same breath when talking about how important they are to the team.

Now or Loyality Factor? &nbsp;No way will Bert mean more then Holmer does when it comes to the Wings but right now today I'd take Bert over Holmer is all. I guess we shall see in 10 months who's "worth" more to the team THIS season.:blush:

Edited by 13dangledangle, 17 June 2010 - 12:00 AM.

#70 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,871 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:07 AM

Not sure if you're kidding, but it's a 2-year deal. So that's the total for the whole contract, not each year.

The cap hit is $1.9375 mill per year.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5294853

#71 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:11 AM

Not sure if you're kidding, but it's a 2-year deal. So that's the total for the whole contract, not each year.

The cap hit is $1.9375 mill per year.

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=5294853

lol

Edited by 13dangledangle, 17 June 2010 - 12:11 AM.

#72 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,683 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:22 AM

You Blues fans crack me up :P
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#73 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:26 AM

Hoping that Bert and Dats are starting off on the same line this coming season. If anyone remembers, they had great chemistry together. Yeah that was when Z was out but I'm still puzzled as to why Burt and Dats were never put back together on the same line.

#74 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:35 AM

Hoping that Bert and Dats are starting off on the same line this coming season. If anyone remembers, they had great chemistry together. Yeah that was when Z was out but I'm still puzzled as to why Burt and Dats were never put back together on the same line.

To be honest they took a long time until they even had ANY chemistry at all, and when they did it wasnt that impressive. Keep Bert with Flip and Mule, and put Z&D back together...ahmen.

#75 Hossa4Life

Hossa4Life

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:43 AM

filp-filp-hossa
datsyuk-zet-mule
cleary-helm-bert
homer-eaves-abby

Edited by Hossa4Life, 17 June 2010 - 12:45 AM.

But I must be off, I have some jerking off to do. Oh btw I like to consider myself extremely attractive and am proud of myself for being your intellectual superior as I am going to UofM next year, and I am a better hockey player than Crosby.

Posted Image

#76 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:00 AM

Division by 2 is widely considered a simple task.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#77 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:24 AM

"it's called THE Todd Bertuzzi"

#78 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:42 AM

It's a fair price, I know some would like us to sign the other FA 6'3 220 fowards with decent hands that put up almost 50pts and a ppg in the playoffs for the bargain basement price of 1.5million...(crickets)

Well he did get way more ice time because of all the injuries so I would expect his point total to be up. As for the playoffs he had an OK playoff year at best. One 5 point game does not mean pooh when most of the other games he was meh.

Now I wonder how he will be point wise with less ice time overall? Guess we will just have to wait and see.

To be honest they took a long time until they even had ANY chemistry at all, and when they did it wasnt that impressive. Keep Bert with Flip and Mule, and put Z&D back together...ahmen.

I see somebody remembers it the way I do. Also they were forced to play together because of the injures as there was no one else to really put with Datsyuk during that horrid stretch.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 17 June 2010 - 01:47 AM.

#79 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:44 AM

It turns out that Vancouver's NHL insurance won't cover a single penny of Berts' (likely) legal settlement against him so it's not like he can afford to cut the Wings a huge deal... Moore asked for $38 million.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#80 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 02:13 AM

So Homer takes a discount and Bert gets a raise? It's not a big deal but the salary should have been lower for him to get that second year IMO.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.