• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings&Beer

Bertuzzi Signs 2 Year Deal

Rate this topic

It's a fair price, I know some would like us to sign the other FA 6'3 220 fowards with decent hands that put up almost 50pts and a ppg in the playoffs for the bargain basement price of 1.5million...(crickets)

Well he did get way more ice time because of all the injuries so I would expect his point total to be up. As for the playoffs he had an OK playoff year at best. One 5 point game does not mean pooh when most of the other games he was meh.

Now I wonder how he will be point wise with less ice time overall? Guess we will just have to wait and see.

To be honest they took a long time until they even had ANY chemistry at all, and when they did it wasnt that impressive. Keep Bert with Flip and Mule, and put Z&D back together...ahmen.

I see somebody remembers it the way I do. Also they were forced to play together because of the injures as there was no one else to really put with Datsyuk during that horrid stretch.

Edited by dragonballgtz

It turns out that Vancouver's NHL insurance won't cover a single penny of Berts' (likely) legal settlement against him so it's not like he can afford to cut the Wings a huge deal... Moore asked for $38 million.

I agree and don't forget Nick took less money too.

Exactly... I don't hate the signing, but think it should have been for less overall for that 2nd year to be tacked on...

All I have to say, is he better have at least 15 goals and 45+ pts in each of the next 2 years...

I wouldn't have done this signing. I really see no use of having both Homer and Bert. Bert is declining. It would've been OK signing if the cap hit was under 1,5m, but this is just too much.

Edited by Finnish Wing

Somewhere, draperfan is weeping...

Not a bad deal, considering the year he just had. Bertuzzi was one of only 3 players to play all 82 this year, which was not bad at all considering many questioned if he could even play 50-60 due to his injury issues.

My only concern is that it's a multi-year deal. I'm always a bit leery of those contracts for guys over 35, because we don't want to get stuck with the cap hit if he retires mid-contract.

Anywho. Welcome back, "The" Todd!

TBH, I'm not overly concerned about that. I'm fairly confident that issue is discussed with any FA over 35 signing a multi-year deal. I'm sure Bert expects/wants to play both seasons and barring a career ending injury, that won't change.

It's a solid deal for a player of his calibre coming off the season he had. Anyone whining about wanting him to sign in the $1.2-$1.4 range is just flat-out not being realistic.

What are you guys complaining about?

$2 million a year is nothing compared to how much guys are being overpaid around the league.

:siren:

Not if he ends up on the third line. Someone will at any rate, and whoever it is will score fewer points than they otherwise would. And his points weren't good. Not for a top-liner at any rate.

I hope he ends up on the third line. He is skilled enough to put up decent numbers in the top 6, and with Hudler back we can roll three scoring lines instead of two.

Homer Datsyuk Hudler

Filppula Zetterberg Franzen

Cleary Abdelkader Bertuzzi

Eaves Helm Draper

This looks ideal to me. Every line has a big body to crash the net (outside of the fourth line), the top two have playmakers and goal scorers. The Cleary Abby Bert line is a strong enough offensive threat against other third lines and its gritty enough to be a second checking line when need be, and Eaves, Helm, and Draper were phenomenal together last year. I don't remember our fourth line looking so good in a while.

I don't like this deal and its not the money. Its that when you watch Bertuzzi play he doesn't seem to fit on this team and makes too many boneheaded plays. He certainly shouldn't be playing on our top 2 lines and he isn't good enough defensively or hit enough for the 3rd line.

I understand the price per points based on last season works out but I would rather see Filpulla play in the top 2 and have Ritola take a forward spot. Bertuzzi is only going to decline.

Guest mindfly

I bet Brian Burke was pretty eager to get this guy in a leaf uniform...

So Homer takes a discount and Bert gets a raise? It's not a big deal but the salary should have been lower for him to get that second year IMO.

I never thought of it that way. That kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I like Bert and what he brings for the cash, but I will still scream at the TV every time he passes up a hit or does a terrible drop pass to no one.

As someone else put it - even Lids took a moderate cut. I dont get why that theoretical cash is going to Bertuzzi's pockets. He's no Brett or Luc. What are we really getting for the scratch, especially with Huds coming home?

I never thought of it that way. That kind of makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I like Bert and what he brings for the cash, but I will still scream at the TV every time he passes up a hit or does a terrible drop pass to no one.

As someone else put it - even Lids took a moderate cut. I dont get why that theoretical cash is going to Bertuzzi's pockets. He's no Brett or Luc. What are we really getting for the scratch, especially with Huds coming home?

What do you think the Wings could've got for the "supposed" additional scratch they spent on the UFA market?

For the season Bert is coming off of, its a solid deal. Plenty of 45-point scorers make more than that.

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

* Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

* Darren Helm ($1.000m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.850m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.417m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.717m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 20; CAP: $58.8m; PAYROLL: $56.043m; CAP ROOM: $2.757m BONUSES: $0.000m

This leaves 2.75 to sign a forward and a d man. I say let Miller, Eaves, and Meech walk, sign Lilja/UFA for 750k then spend the rest on a 3rd line winger.

I say blasphemy!!!! Patty Sunshine was one of the big bright spots this year, granted there are lots of these guys out there but he really showed a ton of upside for his tag. Scraps, good shot, has a good edge to him, kills penalties when need be. I realize that we can get somebody like that but again, if price is right, you have to keep him.

I say blasphemy!!!! Patty Sunshine was one of the big bright spots this year, granted there are lots of these guys out there but he really showed a ton of upside for his tag. Scraps, good shot, has a good edge to him, kills penalties when need be. I realize that we can get somebody like that but again, if price is right, you have to keep him.

Agreed, Eaves flat out earned a full time spot on this team, especially since we'll keep him for dirt cheap with the qualifier and he still hasn't even come CLOSE to seeing his max potential...

Guest Crymson

What do you think the Wings could've got for the "supposed" additional scratch they spent on the UFA market?

For the season Bert is coming off of, its a solid deal. Plenty of 45-point scorers make more than that.

Many people here are more interested in screaming "omg this is a bad option" than in sharing what may have been a (realistic) better option.