• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings&Beer

Bertuzzi Signs 2 Year Deal

Rate this topic

Bert was not worth twice that. That means he would make more than Homer, as much as Filppula and almost as much as Franzen. People on this board keep talking about him getting 50-60 points next year, he hasn't had over 44 points in 4 years and its not like he's getting younger (or better).

Holmstrom as a 25 goal scorer was the biggest contract steal signing I've seen in a long time. Bert isn't worth more to this team then Homer but around the league Bert is at a steal price.

Franzen is signed til hes 75 so his cap hit isn't relevant.

Bertuzzi signed a 2 year, 8 million dollar deal with Anaheim in 2007.

In the summer of 2008 they bought him out, and he received $2.66 million.

He received that money for the 2008-2009 season when he played for Calgary. He had already gotten his buyout money from Anaheim a year prior to signing with the Wings.

Buyout money (and the remaining cap hit that is tied to it) is paid out over twice the time remaining on the contract. So if he had one year left on his deal and was owed $2.66M in '08, he would be paid $1.33M for the next two years.

Point is, we don't need another mediocre scorer. We have enough guys to fill the top 6 for now. Aside from my 'maybes' (and probably Malhotra), the guys I listed should cost around half of what we spent on Bert, allowing to save an extra million for the trade deadline, where it would be worth ~$4 million and possibly allow us to add an elite player for the playoffs.

Even with Comrie, Higgins, and Tanguay, since they're coming off poor years, they might be had for $500k+ less and still offer good offensive potential.

As it is, we have the potential to save a little for later moves OR improve the 4th line/defense. Had we passed on Bert, we could have improved our 4th line, and then at the deadline added someone of impact for the top 6 or a high-end defenseman or smaller improvements to both.

Why don't you tell us why we needed a third-rate has-been who will either play on the third line or push someone better down when we certainly could have added at least that much and most likely better at the trade deadline?

The point you continue to miss is that Bert is not a mediocre scorer for his price tag. Yes, his scoring isn't what it once was, but his production is worth well more than his tag. The players you mentioned aren't in the same boat.

Bert is not a first-rate player, but he's not a third-rate player either. As far as adding a better player at the deadline, adding a player in what would've been that pro-rated price range could just as likely cost too much in regards to prospects/picks. While GR isn't bone-dry, its most certainly not abundant with the type of talent teams are calling Kenny and inquiring about. The Wings draft players for *their* system, which happens to be quite different than most teams.

The bottom line is re-signing Bert was the safe bet, because we could end up with nothing if prices are too high on trade deadline day.

never said it was. that is hollands job. and IMO he blew it with this signing. if he couldn't get bert to sign for less he should have let him walk.

though bert set himself up for any ribbing he personally gets because of all of his statements about wanting to stay here and also being willing to play for less.

Then complain about Holland, not Bert.

Did you ever stop to think that Bert being willing to "play for less" was that instead of taking a $2.5 million cap-hit like most players of his ability and size he took $1.9375 million instead?

Then complain about Holland, not Bert.

Did you ever stop to think that Bert being willing to "play for less" was that instead of taking a $2.5 million cap-hit like most players of his ability and size he took $1.9375 million instead?

thats who i have been complaining about! i know you wouldn't dare ever question anything the red wings do, but to me this is a boneheaded move, just like getting williams last summer.

also, a question i have for you and all the others that keep bringing up his size: why does his size matter at all? when was the last time he used it? its funny, all the bertuzzi supporters always say, "people that don't like him still expect him to be a physical power forward but he isn't that player anymore" or something very similar. yet now we are supposed to believe that his size is an attribute that makes him a better player? he doesn't play physical so his size is totally irrelevant!

additionally, how are folks talking about his 'clutch' goal scoring?????? he scored 3 goals in the last 31 games of the season! he had 1 hot stretch in december and thats it. aside from the 8 goals in 8 games, he only scored 10 goals in the other 74 games! everyone talks about he was 3rd on the team in goals or had 44 points, he freaking should have, he played more minutes than just about everyone! heck, he was only 100 minutes behind Z. he only scored 2 more even strength goals than patrick eaves for craps sake! yet i doubt he will get anywhere near as good a deal. when you factor in hudler coming back, all of a sudden, bertuzzi doesn't get as many PP minutes either. and for those that love to talk about 11 playoff points, he can thank franzen for getting him a 5 point game. i think boogaard probably could have been out there on that line and ended up with 4 or 5 points.

also, what many of us are saying is that while bert does have more offensive upside than many of the other guys mentioned as alternatives, that his all around game is not suited well for what the team needs.

thats who i have been complaining about! i know you wouldn't dare ever question anything the red wings do, but to me this is a boneheaded move, just like getting williams last summer.

Please! I state my opinion for *and* against all the time on these boards. Don't insinuate something you have no clue about.

Besides, I completely agree that Williams was a boneheaded signing. I hated that one from the moment it was announced.

also, a question i have for you and all the others that keep bringing up his size: why does his size matter at all? when was the last time he used it? its funny, all the bertuzzi supporters always say, "people that don't like him still expect him to be a physical power forward but he isn't that player anymore" or something very similar. yet now we are supposed to believe that his size is an attribute that makes him a better player? he doesn't play physical so his size is totally irrelevant!

His size is more than relevant because Bert constantly played in front of the net last season. While he's not as physical along the boards, he's extremely difficult to move in front of the goal. That's why his size is an attribute.

additionally, how are folks talking about his 'clutch' goal scoring?????? he scored 3 goals in the last 31 games of the season! he had 1 hot stretch in december and thats it. aside from the 8 goals in 8 games, he only scored 10 goals in the other 74 games! everyone talks about he was 3rd on the team in goals or had 44 points, he freaking should have, he played more minutes than just about everyone! heck, he was only 100 minutes behind Z. he only scored 2 more even strength goals than patrick eaves for craps sake! yet i doubt he will get anywhere near as good a deal. when you factor in hudler coming back, all of a sudden, bertuzzi doesn't get as many PP minutes either. and for those that love to talk about 11 playoff points, he can thank franzen for getting him a 5 point game. i think boogaard probably could have been out there on that line and ended up with 4 or 5 points.

also, what many of us are saying is that while bert does have more offensive upside than many of the other guys mentioned as alternatives, that his all around game is not suited well for what the team needs.

I love how people on this site use others players as reasons for why a player is "good" or not yet don't recognize when the favor is returned to practically every other player. The fact of the matter is that points were scored, Bert has now been in the system for a full year, and has shown he's healthy. As much as you and others like to claim that he won't get as much PT now that the team is healthy and has a better roster, he'll also be playing alongside better line-mates which should only increase his production, *especially* if he's on the third line playing against others teams' thirds.

I've declined comment on this thread so far because really I feel totally meh about this deal. Bert's play over the next two years will make or break this deal, hopefully he stays healthy and performs at least as well as he did last year.

I've declined comment on this thread so far because really I feel totally meh about this deal. Bert's play over the next two years will make or break this deal, hopefully he stays healthy and performs at least as well as he did last year.

I'm fairly confident you could say this about every deal signed in the history of sports. :P

Point is, we don't need another mediocre scorer.

I don't understand how a guy who was 4th on the team in goals and 5th overall in points is considered a mediocre scorer. The guy had more goals than anyone not named Datsyuk, Zetterberg, or Holmstrom. Bert may not best the elite power forward he once was but at more than .5 ppg he is not mediocre either.

Bertuzzi signed a 2 year, 8 million dollar deal with Anaheim in 2007.

In the summer of 2008 they bought him out, and he received $2.66 million.

He received that money for the 2008-2009 season when he played for Calgary. He had already gotten his buyout money from Anaheim a year prior to signing with the Wings.

Buyouts are paid over double the length of the contract being bought out so he was still being paid last year.

With the return of Hudler and the odds favoring a much healthier lineup, the offense should already be much better than it was last season. Add to that the fact that as long as we are healthy, someone like Bert or Flip is going to be on the third line, and missing out on PP time, and thus not scoring up to their full potential; then the difference in offense between someone like Nystrom and Bert is negligible. 5-6 goals isn't going to mean anything.

Furthermore, you're both ignoring the main reason for not signing Bert right now; the cap savings. We had an opportunity to be ~$2 million under the cap while still icing a solid team capable of rolling four lines. The trade deadline is roughly 3/4ths of the way through the season, so that money would be worth $8 million in salary at that point. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to add someone like Semin (some rumors have him heading out of Washington) for a playoff run? Or maybe a big name defenseman? Or possibly a goalie if Howie falters and Ozzie can't pick up the slack? Or a couple extra players to shore up any weaknesses that develop?

Even if we really think we need another borderline top-6 'scorer', why not at least wait until free agency opens to explore what other options are out there? Especially considering that Bert himself said he wasn't interested in signing anywhere else. Could get a better deal? Who knows. Now we'll just have to watch what other teams can get. Bert was coming off 44 points in 66 games, and we got him for $1.5. Willy for the same after a 19g, 48 point season. After two poor years, Afinogenov signed for $800k. Prospal went for $1.1 after 19g/45 points. Even Comrie, after just one bad year, signed for $1.25. You act like it's unprecedented for someone to sign a 'bargain' deal. Signing Bert now, and for a two year deal, is essentially a statement that Holland doesn't think we can improve this group of forwards in the next two years. Unless we get a big jump in the cap, or blow up the roster, we don't even have the option of any meaningful changes, whether it turns out we need them or not.

I'm not saying this move is destroying the team or will for sure prevent us from winning anything. I love Kenny and still think he's the best in the game. But I think we had more options, and better options. I think this time he made a mistake.

:beerbuddy:

I love how people on this site use others players as reasons for why a player is "good" or not yet don't recognize when the favor is returned to practically every other player. The fact of the matter is that points were scored, Bert has now been in the system for a full year, and has shown he's healthy. As much as you and others like to claim that he won't get as much PT now that the team is healthy and has a better roster, he'll also be playing alongside better line-mates which should only increase his production, *especially* if he's on the third line playing against others teams' thirds.

couple of things here: i actually agree in principle with what you are saying. when guys move around lines they get better/worse linemates, but often better/worse opponents that negate each other. however, the only thing i was referencing as far as bert riding others coattails was the fact that he got 5 points in 1 game almost entirely due to franzen. i am sure you watched that game as well; to me it was pretty darned apparent who was the magic on that line that night. and is wasnt bert. i am not trying to say that all of berts 44 points was due to playing with D & Z or anything like that. simply that his playoff total (which has been brought up several times) is inflated a lot due to franzen having that great night. however, i did mention other things like having the same even strength goals as eaves, or how he played so many minutes, and no one seems to have any answer for that. and the part about less PP minutes i think will be a factor. so many people try and say the only reason hudler gets points is because of PP time, so apparently in that case its a huge ordeal, yet with bert, its not a problem. to me though, i see him as the 7th best PP forward on the team, and not only will that limit his production for his nearly 2 mil cap hit, it also negates a lot of the need to keep him as a scorer when perhaps they could have brought in another guy like nystrom that would better fit a bottom 6, non PP role.

sorry for the comment about disagreeing with the wings. i dont follow your posts much but it just seemed lately that everytime someone questions a move, you get all huffy and supportive. as you can tell by my post count, i don't make it into all the threads.

couple of things here: i actually agree in principle with what you are saying. when guys move around lines they get better/worse linemates, but often better/worse opponents that negate each other. however, the only thing i was referencing as far as bert riding others coattails was the fact that he got 5 points in 1 game almost entirely due to franzen. i am sure you watched that game as well; to me it was pretty darned apparent who was the magic on that line that night. and is wasnt bert. i am not trying to say that all of berts 44 points was due to playing with D & Z or anything like that. simply that his playoff total (which has been brought up several times) is inflated a lot due to franzen having that great night. however, i did mention other things like having the same even strength goals as eaves, or how he played so many minutes, and no one seems to have any answer for that. and the part about less PP minutes i think will be a factor. so many people try and say the only reason hudler gets points is because of PP time, so apparently in that case its a huge ordeal, yet with bert, its not a problem. to me though, i see him as the 7th best PP forward on the team, and not only will that limit his production for his nearly 2 mil cap hit, it also negates a lot of the need to keep him as a scorer when perhaps they could have brought in another guy like nystrom that would better fit a bottom 6, non PP role.

While one could make the argument that Bert's playoff numbers were inflated by Franzen's beastly game, the same could be said going the other way, for most players, on every team. Why is it that we can rip certain players for "how" they got their points, but not others. The bottom line is the puck ended up in the back of the net, and plenty of players from top to bottom have been beneficiaries of what some would consider padded numbers. Hell, look at how many EN goals Z gets.

I don't know why you keep saying no one has an answer for you regarding the questions you posed because I responded to quite a few of them, as have others. Bert's played the minutes he has because of the overwhelming injury bug that hit Detroit this season. Couple that with the fact that those guys were playing with half the Grand Rapids roster and its reason enough as to why everyone's numbers were down this season. Next year the Wings will have Bert in his second full season and much more familiar with their system. He's proven he can stay healthy and his confidence should be higher than it has been in years. He'll be playing a more balanced role on the team and is going to be able to put the puck in the net both on the second or third line given the roster stays healthy. For his *ability* and all the aforementioned there's no reason Bert can't duplicate and improve on last season and that would make his $1.9375 million cap hit beyond worth it in comparison to other players around the league making the same.

Again, Nystrom can still be had for the bottom 6 if Kenny truly believes he'll benefit this club. I tend to agree that the Wings would benefit from the Drake-type player Kenny promised us but I'm not about to throw Bert under the bus, as if seemingly blaming him for now not having the room to add one of those types.

sorry for the comment about disagreeing with the wings. i dont follow your posts much but it just seemed lately that everytime someone questions a move, you get all huffy and supportive. as you can tell by my post count, i don't make it into all the threads.

It's not about being supportive, rather its about being realistic. I'm most certainly not playing the role of "Rawh-Rawh Red Wings" but I do see the merit in bringing in a player of Bert's talent for the price they got him for. There's plenty of members here on LGW that simply don't have a grasp of reality, what a player actually costs, or the difference between making deals in the real NHL and those on NHL2010.

Sidenote: I've enjoyed our debate/discussion. :thumbup:

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Top 10 UFA RWs

looking at this list, will anyone take any of these clowns over Bert?

While I doubt he will come cheap, I wanted the Wing's to make a move for either Mueller or Stempniak at the deadline. If Lee could be had cheap, I'd be estatic. Hopefully his horrible PO's put his price down a little. If the cap goes up more than expected, I think we could get him.

To the people saying he should've taken a pay cut need to check out Mayers salary. He's making 1.4, Bert made 1.5 last year, theres no way Bert should be making less then Mayers.

Yeah, that's definitely a great logic. I also bet all defensemen are using Campbell's salary as a comparison when negotiating for a contract. Edited by Finnish Wing

Yeah, that's definitely a great logic. I also bet all defensemen are using Campbell's salary as a comparison when negotiating for a contract.

If the Campbell contract was used for the base of all defenseman salary we couldn't even afford Lebda...:ph34r:

Many people here are more interested in screaming "omg this is a bad option" than in sharing what may have been a (realistic) better option.

Dont lump me in with the OMG people. And to NFM's point I never suggested that we needed anything else on the free agent market. Huds is coming home, which pretty much solidifies the 2nd line. Cleary, Eaves, Miller, Draper, Ritola/Abdelkader, and Helm will round out the bottom six. Meech in the presser just in case.

A lot of people seem to go under the assumption that Bert is required - hence the whole "who else are you going to get on the market" argument. I am simply proposing that he(or his role)is not. And is not goes for the salary amount as well - especially with the space diminishing rapidly with our qualified offers. Call me conservative, but I for one would like to see some extra come deadline time or for next July 1.

My point was that we are paying Bert more based on the fact that he played well for us last season. Lids did too, and so did Homer. Why is it that our loyal players that have been here forever are the ones that stand up and take the cut for the team, and we give more to a player that performed marginally above expectations the second time around? I guess we need to go under the assumption that we underpaid last year on the 1 year "tryout" and he has earned his keep.

I trust Holland, and I am sure Bert will be decent on the wings once again. He gets dogged too often, and even I jump on that one a bit with the lackluster passing.

My only question is if Bert is on the 3rd line why are we paying him more this season - if that is where he ends up?

LGW = Home of the armchair GM without a solid retort

Consider my previous post a solid retort. If we are not here to armchair GM, read news, or post ideas, what are we here for?

Why judge someone for something they take pleasure in, even if you dont?

Consider my previous post a solid retort. If we are not here to armchair GM, read news, or post ideas, what are we here for?

Why judge someone for something they take pleasure in, even if you dont?

Actually it was armchair gm WITHOUT SOLID RETORT

CAPS = relevant portion

As for your solid retort I stand corrected.. 1 out of 10 solid retorts on LGW. Why so judgmental friend? I love Huds!!! :thumbup:

The point you continue to miss is that Bert is not a mediocre scorer for his price tag. Yes, his scoring isn't what it once was, but his production is worth well more than his tag. The players you mentioned aren't in the same boat.

Bert is not a first-rate player, but he's not a third-rate player either. As far as adding a better player at the deadline, adding a player in what would've been that pro-rated price range could just as likely cost too much in regards to prospects/picks. While GR isn't bone-dry, its most certainly not abundant with the type of talent teams are calling Kenny and inquiring about. The Wings draft players for *their* system, which happens to be quite different than most teams.

The bottom line is re-signing Bert was the safe bet, because we could end up with nothing if prices are too high on trade deadline day.

... Bert's played the minutes he has because of the overwhelming injury bug that hit Detroit this season. Couple that with the fact that those guys were playing with half the Grand Rapids roster and its reason enough as to why everyone's numbers were down this season. Next year the Wings will have Bert in his second full season and much more familiar with their system. He's proven he can stay healthy and his confidence should be higher than it has been in years. He'll be playing a more balanced role on the team and is going to be able to put the puck in the net both on the second or third line given the roster stays healthy. For his *ability* and all the aforementioned there's no reason Bert can't duplicate and improve on last season and that would make his $1.9375 million cap hit beyond worth it in comparison to other players around the league making the same.

Again, Nystrom can still be had for the bottom 6 if Kenny truly believes he'll benefit this club. I tend to agree that the Wings would benefit from the Drake-type player Kenny promised us but I'm not about to throw Bert under the bus, as if seemingly blaming him for now not having the room to add one of those types.

I've admitted on several occasions that Bert was a bargain last season, and that it's not a bad price for someone of his ability. My point is that it doesn't matter. We didn't need a 'bargain' or an eigth potential top 6 forward when we would have been just fine with just a 4th liner grinder and a bunch of extra cap space.

But I'll address the bargain aspect anyway. Something you can't ignore is that there's only so much ice time to go around. Only so many spots in the top 6. Pav and Hank can't play with everyone. Everyone can't get 3 minutes of PP time.

Hudler could score 70 points, Flip could get 60, Bert, Homer, and Cleary could get 50. But they won't. Not all of them at least. Lack of ice time and opportunity WILL mean that someone doesn't get the numbers they're capable of. How much of a bargain is Bert going to be if he gets stuck on the third line and only puts up 13 goals and 22 points? How about another 40 point season from Flip? Or 15 goals from Cleary? Or Hudler? Whether you want to admit it or not, PP time and the quality of their linemates will play a big role in the production of all those players. What good is getting Bert at a minor discount when it means we're overpaying for Flip's production?

All anyone can say in favor of Bert is 'bargain'. But he hasn't scored one point yet, so you have no idea if he will be a bargain or not. You can't just add his full potential without considering the opportunities he'll cost others, nor could you realistically expect him to fulfill his potential from a dimished role. And at this stage, you can't expect improvement either, at least nothing substantial. At best, we could expect similar numbers if he plays another full season on the top lines. Even at that, his presence alone would be costing someone else like Flip or Cleary an opportunity for increased production. And assuming that anyone's production would improve by being moved to the third line is preposterous.

Bert, as an individual, may turn out to be 'worth' his contract. But in terms of his impact on the team, I really can't see it improving the team in any meaningful way. Adding Bert gives a little extra depth in case of injuries. But that's about the only positive I see. But I can also see it coming back to hurt us by limiting our other options. He costs us the opportunity for a much bigger improvement later in the season, and possibly costs us a valuable grinder.

You say we could still add Nystrom or someone similar, but I don't really see it. We're running out of space very quick, and that's assuming a full $2 million increase in the cap. People are expecting minimal raises for Helm and Abby, which is far from certain. A defenseman of any kind of quality is going to cost a decent chunk. If we want someone like Nystrom it could mean we have to sacrifice someone like Eaves or Ritola. And while getting a top end player at the deadline wouldn't be guaranteed, it wouldn't be impossible either. There's always a good number of players available, many being just salary dumps to be had for bargain prices. Nor would we necessarily have to target the best players. A couple mid-tier players could also help considerably more than Bert likely would, and might not cost much in trade. Furthermore, we might not even need to add anything.

Again, I just think Kenny missed the mark on this one. Our top 6 (at least what I expect to be our top 6) lacks speed. We still don't have as many true goal scorers as we should. We lack a tough crease-clearing defenseman. We have a question mark in goal. We're heavily reliant on againg players. And most importantly, our options for addressing any of those are pretty limited for the next two years. Bert doesn't solve any of those problems, and barely even helps the goal scoring. At the very least, we could have had the opportunity to solve a couple of those via trades this year, even if only temporarily. Maybe none of those things will turn out to be real problems. We can hope at least. Unfortunately, that's all we can do.

Guest 26basslines

Buyout money (and the remaining cap hit that is tied to it) is paid out over twice the time remaining on the contract. So if he had one year left on his deal and was owed $2.66M in '08, he would be paid $1.33M for the next two years.

Oh.. well I'm dumb then. Thanks for the correction.

While one could make the argument that Bert's playoff numbers were inflated by Franzen's beastly game, the same could be said going the other way, for most players, on every team. Why is it that we can rip certain players for "how" they got their points, but not others. The bottom line is the puck ended up in the back of the net, and plenty of players from top to bottom have been beneficiaries of what some would consider padded numbers. Hell, look at how many EN goals Z gets.

just want to reiterate that i realize that it is a very slippery slope to start analyzing how people get points. but i think it this very specific 1 game segment it can be done in a fairly accurate way. the whole reason that the concept can't be used most of the time is because its hard to make sweeping generalizations. using your example, one could say 'Z gets way more EN goals than anyone else' and for the short term that may be right, but given enough games and enough seasons, it all kind of averages out. whereas if you look at a very small sample size or a very specific issue, it can be easier to draw conclusions. and i think anyone that watched that game has to realize that there was 1 player on the ice that was playing head and shoulders above the others and it was franzen. so i think a logical conclusion can be drawn that bert had inflated playoff numbers based on mules beastly game. so to me that should be important in salary negotiations. just as bert not having any goals in the last 31 games while the team was clawing their way into the playoffs and all the way up to the 5 seed.

to me its about giving the statistics some context. its like folks that say lidstrom is on the decline because he was only +22 this year. yet he was still at the top of the team that finished pretty poor in goal differential. so when you look more into things, the +22 can mean more or less depending on what you find.

Sidenote: I've enjoyed our debate/discussion. :thumbup:

i have too.

Waiting around for the trade deadline is a crapshoot at best and involves trading away assets (prospects and draft picks at the very least). With league parity more and more teams are within distance of the playoffs meaning less players available at the deadline and higher prices for the ones actually available.

I would much rather have a team solidified at the beginning of the year, giving players all season to get acclimated and for the coaches to find the best lineups... And it does not involve trading away assets.

Waiting around for the trade deadline is a crapshoot at best and involves trading away assets (prospects and draft picks at the very least). With league parity more and more teams are within distance of the playoffs meaning less players available at the deadline and higher prices for the ones actually available.

I would much rather have a team solidified at the beginning of the year, giving players all season to get acclimated and for the coaches to find the best lineups... And it does not involve trading away assets.

Well, I wouldn't really call it a crapshoot. It's not a guarantee, but it's much more than random luck. Trading away assets is also a strategy that has worked very well for years.

Assuming the worst for our trade prospects while assuming the best from Bertuzzi seems a poor strategy. I don't see how Bert has 'solidified' anything on this team. In a previous post I listed some concerns, and Bert only partially addresses one of them, while mostly eliminating our options for dealing with any of the others should the need arise, and for two years besides.

I still don't see three good scoring lines. Maybe a better than average 3rd depending on the combos, but that's about it. I just don't see the logic of how getting Bert instead of someone like Nystrom is any real improvement. What do you get with Bert? Another 5-10 goals? And you lose some extra speed, physicality, and defensive ability, and even the possibility of some surprise production. That alone seems a worthwhile exchange. When you add in the extra options afforded by an extra million in cap space it seems an obvious choice to me.

I think Kenny is being a little too conservative here, too complacent. He likes familiar faces, I think that's obvious. In this case, I think he just bought the comfort of familiarity, and is banking too heavily on internal improvements. But we will see I guess, nothing can be done about it now.

Yeah, that's definitely a great logic. I also bet all defensemen are using Campbell's salary as a comparison when negotiating for a contract.

Kotalik makes 3 mil less points then Bert last year

Chris Neil 2 Mil

Jarko Ruttu the same as Bert last year

Reinprecht 2 mil, less points then Bert last year

Clutterbuck 1.4 mil

Steve Bernier 2 mil

Kris Kunitz makes almost 4 mil.

All these guys put up less points then Bert last year but have similar or much higher contracts. Bert at 1.5 is a huge bargain. Guys like CLutterbuck Mayers and Ruutu making pretty much the same as Bert kinda shows that market value for guys like that is right around there. I think its fair to say Bert market value is higher then guys like this.