Photo
* * * * - 3 votes

How would you feel about Chelios as assistant?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:42 AM

As the poll says, I was just wondering how everyone would feel if the Wings cut ties with McCrimmon and brought Chelios back as an Assistant Coach, handling the defense.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#2 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,244 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:47 AM

I would take virtually anyone over McCrimmon. But Chelios would make an excellent defensive coach and I'm absolutely in favor of him becoming an assistant. But considering his personality, I don't know if he'd chafe at not being the head coach.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 06:55 AM

I would take virtually anyone over McCrimmon. But Chelios would make an excellent defensive coach and I'm absolutely in favor of him becoming an assistant. But considering his personality, I don't know if he'd chafe at not being the head coach.

I'm actually in the camp that I don't know how effective coach's can be when they were former teammates of the players they're coaching and I'd also like to see a guy work his way into the AHL and up from there, rather than just getting a spot on the big stage right out of the gate, but with Chelios, he has such a great hockey mind and was viewed as an elder statesman by all his teammates anyway, that it might break the mold and work...

One thing about Chelios, is that regardless of how confident he is, he's never been one to expect to be handed anything (hence being willing to play in the AHL last year) and I don't think he'd have ANY problem being an assistant, or even lower to start to be honest...

I'm also in the camp that I want McCrimmon gone one way or another, but I think Chelios will eventually be a coach in this league anyway and I would have no problem with this move...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#4 cjm502

cjm502

This man was born to kick ass.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:09 AM

The title, very misleading.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 IILeiBlazeII

IILeiBlazeII

Top-Tier Double Backup

• Pip
  • 130 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:16 AM

The title, very misleading.

VERY VERY misleading... I'm half blind without glasses/contacts in/on and that little blurb under the title was illegible - I almost freaked out and called my folks 5 states away in celebration! Someone should change the title...

On topic, it would be brilliant. At the very least, get him in an assistant coach role down in Grand Rapids. In fact, the Griffins are talking about how they want a veteran presence on the blue line... if he still has game left in him, let him mentor the younguns whilst still playing on an AHL contract! I think that man has such a vast hockey knowledge that he would be valuable in any capacity you'd put him in.

Maybe each of my fingers is an undulating shrimp! It's a world of possibilities.

#6 ChitownWingsfan

ChitownWingsfan

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:51 AM

I'd feel . . .

Posted Image

I can't say that I'm sure he's ready for an asst position but I'd love to see him have a chance to work with the players in some capacity and if they respond well, why not?

So hate on but guess what, I feel like I can't miss,
I know they want me to fall, But ain't nothin' bigger than this, So just pass me the ball

Posted Image
No Further Trades Needed

#7 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:53 AM

VERY VERY misleading... I'm half blind without glasses/contacts in/on and that little blurb under the title was illegible - I almost freaked out and called my folks 5 states away in celebration! Someone should change the title...

On topic, it would be brilliant. At the very least, get him in an assistant coach role down in Grand Rapids. In fact, the Griffins are talking about how they want a veteran presence on the blue line... if he still has game left in him, let him mentor the younguns whilst still playing on an AHL contract! I think that man has such a vast hockey knowledge that he would be valuable in any capacity you'd put him in.

I put it in quotation marks and added an additional subject line... from every marketing class I've ever taken, I thought the purpose of a title was to be attention grabbing, while the content has the information?

I'd be quite alright with Fraser being promoted to Assistant in Detroit, and Chelios taking a job in GR (whether it be head or asst. down there) and as I said in another reply - I'm also in the camp that I want McCrimmon gone one way or another, and although I think all coaches should work their way up so to speak, I think Chelios will eventually be a coach in this league anyway and I would have no problem with this move...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#8 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:42 AM

I was hoping Chelios would be the defensive coach originally when his contract was up, so yes, please.

#9 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

I'm actually in the camp that I don't know how effective coach's can be when they were former teammates of the players they're coaching and I'd also like to see a guy work his way into the AHL and up from there, rather than just getting a spot on the big stage right out of the gate, but with Chelios, he has such a great hockey mind and was viewed as an elder statesman by all his teammates anyway, that it might break the mold and work...

One thing about Chelios, is that regardless of how confident he is, he's never been one to expect to be handed anything (hence being willing to play in the AHL last year) and I don't think he'd have ANY problem being an assistant, or even lower to start to be honest...

I'm also in the camp that I want McCrimmon gone one way or another, but I think Chelios will eventually be a coach in this league anyway and I would have no problem with this move...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dan Bylsma teammates with some of the players he coached on last years's Penguins team? I'm not saying I disagree with you completely, but most of the players that would consider Chelios a peer (Except maybe Lidstrom, Draper, and Holmstrom) are already retired or no longer with the team. On the topic, I definitely agree that anyone could do a better job than McCrimmon, and if anyone can get hired as an NHL assistant without prior coaching experience, it's Chelios, he was practically a player-coach when he played, and his hockey knowledge, more importantly his knowledge of defensive strategy, would be a huge improvement.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#10 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dan Bylsma teammates with some of the players he coached on last years's Penguins team? I'm not saying I disagree with you completely, but most of the players that would consider Chelios a peer (Except maybe Lidstrom, Draper, and Holmstrom) are already retired or no longer with the team. On the topic, I definitely agree that anyone could do a better job than McCrimmon, and if anyone can get hired as an NHL assistant without prior coaching experience, it's Chelios, he was practically a player-coach when he played, and his hockey knowledge, more importantly his knowledge of defensive strategy, would be a huge improvement.

He finished his tenure in the NHL in 04 and that was with Anaheim, so I highly doubt it...

As for Chelios, I agree completely, like I said above, I think normally it doesn't always work, but think Chelios could be the exception to the rule... the guys just flat out KNOWS the game

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#11 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,211 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:39 AM

OH GOOD GOD YES.

We need some more fire on the bench a la Joey Kocur.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#12 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:43 AM

Here is my take on this whole fire McCrimmon thing. How much does McCrimmon really control the defensive system of the Wings? During games, it is his job to send the pairings out that all the coaches probably agreed to be against certain lines. He gives them pointers on the bench, but this is probably just little adjustments. I assume he works with the defense in practice, but they are following the team defensive system.

If everybody remembers, outside of the year the Wings won the cup in '08, their overall defense wasn't that great. Even in '07, pre-McCrimmon, they were consistently caught in their own zone for extended periods and either giving up a goal or getting a penalty. The Wings scoring depth has usually been able to cover up any defensive short falls, but they are thin on their scoring depth, now. So, this shows through more.

I don't think, just changing one coach is going to fix this. I think they Wings need to just be a little smarter on the ice. They have showed signs of it, lately. They are more inclined to chip the puck out of the zone, instead of trying to force it out. They still need to work on some of their short little passes, when pressured, because they still send it to a guy who is either not expecting it or is covered, as well.

He finished his tenure in the NHL in 04 and that was with Anaheim, so I highly doubt it...

As for Chelios, I agree completely, like I said above, I think normally it doesn't always work, but think Chelios could be the exception to the rule... the guys just flat out KNOWS the game

I believe Chris Kunitz is still in Pittsburgh, and he was in Anaheim at that time. I can't think of any others, right now.

#13 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,802 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:45 AM

Here is my take on this whole fire McCrimmon thing. How much does McCrimmon really control the defensive system of the Wings? During games, it is his job to send the pairings out that all the coaches probably agreed to be against certain lines. He gives them pointers on the bench, but this is probably just little adjustments. I assume he works with the defense in practice, but they are following the team defensive system.

If everybody remembers, outside of the year the Wings won the cup in '08, their overall defense wasn't that great. Even in '07, pre-McCrimmon, they were consistently caught in their own zone for extended periods and either giving up a goal or getting a penalty. The Wings scoring depth has usually been able to cover up any defensive short falls, but they are thin on their scoring depth, now. So, this shows through more.

I don't think, just changing one coach is going to fix this. I think they Wings need to just be a little smarter on the ice. They have showed signs of it, lately. They are more inclined to chip the puck out of the zone, instead of trying to force it out. They still need to work on some of their short little passes, when pressured, because they still send it to a guy who is either not expecting it or is covered, as well.

Thats actually a good point. To take it a step further, the best defense is a good offense. In years past, the puck possession was so good that oppossing teams never had the puck, the Wings always had it. With all the injuries last year, puck possession was not nearly as effective as usual which in turn put more stress on the Wing's defense.

#14 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:50 AM

I've been wanting Chelios as an assistant coach ever since McLellan bolted, at first to get him off the ice, but then when McCrimmon came on to save our damn PK/defense.

#15 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:54 AM

I believe Chris Kunitz is still in Pittsburgh, and he was in Anaheim at that time. I can't think of any others, right now.

fair enough... that's a big difference than coaching 5+ guys you played with... McCrimmon played with Lidstrom...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#16 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

I stand corrected. I was thinking Sykora was still in Pittsburgh last year, he is the only player that would have been his teammate in Anaheim and playing for him.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,703 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:56 AM

Thats actually a good point. To take it a step further, the best defense is a good offense. In years past, the puck possession was so good that oppossing teams never had the puck, the Wings always had it. With all the injuries last year, puck possession was not nearly as effective as usual which in turn put more stress on the Wing's defense.

I thought the best offense was a good defense

#18 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

I stand corrected. I was thinking Sykora was still in Pittsburgh last year, he is the only player that would have been his teammate in Anaheim and playing for him.

You were actually right about one player and CenterIce pointed it out - Kunitz, but Kunitz only played 21 games with Ana that year and Byslma only played 11...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#19 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:02 PM

As the poll says, I was just wondering how everyone would feel if the Wings cut ties with McCrimmon and brought Chelios back as an Assistant Coach, handling the defense.

How would I feel? I'd feel that Chelios has zero significant coaching experience and so is not yet qualified to be an assistant coach in the NHL.

#20 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:05 PM

How would I feel? I'd feel that Chelios has zero significant coaching experience and so is not yet qualified to be an assistant coach in the NHL.

To be honest, I would prefer him to get some coaching experience under his belt first at the AHL level at minimum and eventually work his way up in 5 years from now, however, if anyone can make the leap right into the NHL... it's probably Chelios, he has a tremendous amount of hockey smarts, just flat out KNOWS the game and was pretty much a player/coach his last couple years in the league anyway...

I would actually prefer some seasoning as I said, but wouldn't hate it.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here